Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind, i looked it up, it was a Signature "101" Maduro. So it wasnt the legend, but it was fanfriggintastic!
  • Options
    3 Stripes3 Stripes Posts: 25
    Was out of town for a couple of days so Monday I had a Gurkha Shaggy and Tuesday I went with a Torano Casa Tarano. The Shaggy was a great taste but hit me later on, I really need to get a better tolerance. The Casa Tarano was very nice and mild which is what I wanted that night. First time for both of them.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    3 Stripes:
    Was out of town for a couple of days so Monday I had a Gurkha Shaggy and Tuesday I went with a Torano Casa Tarano. The Shaggy was a great taste but hit me later on, I really need to get a better tolerance. The Casa Tarano was very nice and mild which is what I wanted that night. First time for both of them.
    Was it a Shaggy Natural or Maduro? I like both but the Natural really blew me away. It was AWESOME!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    good to know jozer, I got 2 of them.. I smoked a gurkha royal salute (reserve) and though I love the smell these things put off in my humi, they just don't have the flavor one would expect. The cognac is very subtle (and the cigar doesn't have any other complex flavors) and while reading a review from a much more experienced smoker than I, said the maduro wrapper takes the strength from the cognac. So good news is this is my 3rd and I can say I will not be buying a box, so that saves me 400 bucks, but now I really want to try a HMR especially since it doesn't have the maduro wrapper. So I hope this Xmas the singles drop to 300 or so... Yeah I'm nuts but my curiosity is too high.
    I thought the HMR was Maduro. I am going to have to do a side by side test of the Grand Reserve and the Platinum Reserve. The Grand that I have is a connie wrapper and the Platinum is Maduro.
    The HMR has a Dominican wrapper which is some sort of uber rare, with a mix of secret fillers... So it not being a maduro, and with 20 cigars with a entire bottle of cognac, it must be a delight. But that's a good idea, I'm going to have to do the same thing. I'm still thinking that the non-maduro will have more flavor. Though I don't really know what the difference is between the plat, and royal. I mean I've heard the plat is double infused and the royal is triple infused but that's about it. They tast almost the same from what I remember.
    I agree, the did taste very similar. I think the royal was a little stronger form what I remember. I'll have to do a test of all three back to back and see what I get. Remember the Corniche? That says it is NOT infused but it tasted infused to me. I think......................
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Got to smoke a Padron 4000 today. The first half was spectacular with what seemed to be alternating draws of peppery bite and velvety chocolate and leather.The second half seemed to stay constant with a muddy cocoa flavor.It was pretty sad this one started out so great than seemed to bog down.Still a pretty good cigar.
  • Options
    3 Stripes3 Stripes Posts: 25
    rwheelwright:
    3 Stripes:
    Was it a Shaggy Natural or Maduro? I like both but the Natural really blew me away. It was AWESOME!
    I am guessing it was the shaggy, it looks just like the vintage shaggy on the gurkha website. I picked up an extra one to have later on.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    cuban aristocrat perfecto...nice and toasty and hondurany (is that a word)?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was the Padilla Obsidian.. Burn, construction, and draw were all good, what struck me was the heavy espresso taste that this stick gave off. It was like a mouthful of coffee beans. Now, I didn't mind that at all, if you like a constant coffee taste, this one has it. But, alas, 3/4 through it got a bit bitter/tar-y, and I had to give it up earlier that I usually would. All in all, a good cigar.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    mmmmm...makes me want to light up the one I have resting Kas...It has about 2 months on it...
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    nothing tonight.... looking like it is going to storm. I don't smoke inside and thinking a storm would not make for a pleasant smoke.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Rough day, put in ten hours at work (no breaks) starting at 6 AM, then a two hour drive home in the rain. The trip home was mellowed by a Perdomo ESV '91 2nd... great smoke. I'll light up something else tonight if I can stay awake through dinner.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    3 Stripes:
    rwheelwright:
    3 Stripes:
    I am guessing it was the shaggy, it looks just like the vintage shaggy on the gurkha website. I picked up an extra one to have later on.
    I didn't know there were both kinds... I have me a gurkha black dragon fire sitting out for when I get home. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    This was a three cigar day. Decided to sit in the cigar lounge at the mall this morning and had a Diamond Crown - great smoke. It better be for that price! Later this afternoon I sat out on the porch and had a Carlos Torano Virtuoso - the fullest bodied cigar of the Torano line. It was fantastic with very very rich notes of chocolate - even before lighting. Then this evening I lit up a cigar that I ordered on here that arrived today - the Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic. Another great one. Have to get more of these.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Just finsihed a cigar.com Red Label. Not too shabby. This is only the second I have tried of the house brand. Still waiting for the one that stands out.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    undulac:
    Still waiting for the one that stands out.
    Cuban Label....that one stands out for me, I think it has the best flavor.

Today was a new cigar for me, something mentioned last week by someone else, a Habanos Puros Fuerte toro, not bad, not bad at all. It sort of reminded me of a mellowed out Joya de Nicaragua Antaño, I'd call it medium-full tending more towards full than medium. Good flavor, respectable burn despite the wind and a good draw. Overall I am impressed given that the cigar was good and also has a reasonable price point at about $3-4 a cigar.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Today was the Padilla Obsidian.. Burn, construction, and draw were all good, what struck me was the heavy espresso taste that this stick gave off. It was like a mouthful of coffee beans. Now, I didn't mind that at all, if you like a constant coffee taste, this one has it. But, alas, 3/4 through it got a bit bitter/tar-y, and I had to give it up earlier that I usually would. All in all, a good cigar.
    I just had one of these recently and really liked that espresso flavor too. Mine was solid throughout, no tar or bitterness.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Nevermind, i looked it up, it was a Signature "101" Maduro. So it wasnt the legend, but it was fanfriggintastic!
    ah, yeah I did send you one of those.. Yeah it wasn't bad. The dragon fire I had was pretty good tonight. It has a shaggy foot which I probably well no I didn't light very evenly so it had a uneven burn but it was a good cigar. Started off with a strong coffee/cocoa flavor with a bit of spice, then went to more of a spice with undertones of the cocoa and coffee. After the first ash more spice and coffee and cocoa. Some earth was present here, then more coffee. After the second ash more spice, which became more pronounced. It changed near the end with more coffee and cocoa. The tobacco started to come through with more spice too. I haven't had it very long so it's pretty fresh. I'm thinking these little guys will be mighty tasty with a few months or longer. I need to pick up a box. Next up will be the dragon fury!!!!
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I had a CAO Gold Maduro earlier tonight, and it wasn't as great as i thought it would be. didn't really start to come together until after a third of the way in, but from there it got a lot better. woody and earthy notes, slightly peppery, and it mellowed out nicely half-way through. there was one or two draws that were slightly grassy-tasting in the second half... meh... i wasn't very impressed with the overall experience.

hey Pheebs, the local B&M has like two or three sizes of the CAO Americas, should i pick up a few, and what size should i get?
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Had a couple maduros today. First was a Oliva Serie O Maduro robusto. As mentioned yesterday, this cigar is awesome. Tonight I tried a Gurkha Black Puro. This stick had been resting for a few months and it was a very pleasurable smoke. Full of cocoa essence and coffee flavors. I'd definitely smoke this one again.
  • Options
    I started last night with a Oliva V. This cigar was really really good. I was surprised. The Series O I had last week sucked! Then, I lit up a 5 Vegas Limitada 2007 and this was different but really really good too. I got a 5 pack of them so I'll age them a little more and see how they evolve. I have a few more of the V also.
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    I had a CAO Gold Maduro earlier tonight, and it wasn't as great as i thought it would be. didn't really start to come together until after a third of the way in, but from there it got a lot better. woody and earthy notes, slightly peppery, and it mellowed out nicely half-way through. there was one or two draws that were slightly grassy-tasting in the second half... meh... i wasn't very impressed with the overall experience.

hey Pheebs, the local B&M has like two or three sizes of the CAO Americas, should i pick up a few, and what size should i get?
    well I like the landmark.. It's very tasty. the robusto size isn't too bad as well but again I like larger ring gauge cigars.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Just finished up a RP Honduran Classic. Yummmmmmy, got m looking for more online now. Thins thing was tasty and cool to the nub, been a while since i burned my fingers. Wow, gotta find some more!!
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    j0z3r:
    undulac:
    Still waiting for the one that stands out.
    Cuban Label....that one stands out for me, I think it has the best flavor.
    I'll give it a go tonight.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Tonight I has the very distinct pleasure of smoking a Cusano 18 Paired Maduro Churchill. Im not usually a churchill kinda guy, but this was a fantastic cigar. The only negative was that there was a tiny bit of tar buildup at the very end, but all in all I would recommend trying this cigar to anyone who hasn't had one yet, and having another to those who have.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    kaspera79:
    I just had one of these recently and really liked that espresso flavor too. Mine was solid throughout, no tar or bitterness.
    On this one, I can't blame the cigar, This was in my truck for three days in my Pelican, no water pillow, and about 45 degrees, I was rushing it, and with the tapered end the cut was on the slight side. And still it delivered.. I have a few more that I will approach differently .
  • Options
    I have to give thanks to the Cigar Gods...actually I will burn something in sacrafice to them since they've been so good to me recently. Tonight it was my first DP cuban classic and holy smokes did this thing deliver. Started off pretty darn strong for less than an inch, then settled in to it's true nature, an amazing smoke. I loved this.
  • Options
    smbrink:
    Tonight I has the very distinct pleasure of smoking a Cusano 18 Paired Maduro Churchill. Im not usually a churchill kinda guy, but this was a fantastic cigar. The only negative was that there was a tiny bit of tar buildup at the very end, but all in all I would recommend trying this cigar to anyone who hasn't had one yet, and having another to those who have.
    I love this smoke too...I'm not a churchill guy either and I didn't have this one in a churchill, but wish I had. I think I need to make a B&M trip soon.
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Started the day with a Oliva Serie O and tonight I lit up my first Gurkha - the Black Dragon.
  • Options
    The squirrel took on the Fury tonight, the gurkha dragon Fury that is. Wow is all I can say. just got them and wow. Started off with coffee/mocha/chocolate. Stayed constant till the first ash, about 3 inches. Then after that, it started to mellow with those flavors but some spice and earth-ishness came through. They all kind of came and went till the 2nd ash. Then it got a little harsh but quickly went away and more of the coffee and cocoa came through. These were damn good. I also had the black dragon before the Fury, which after it being the 3rd I've smoked, just wasn't very impressed. The tubo is very attractive but the cigar isn't nearly as good as the Fury or the dragonfire. I have only the green dragon left which I'll try tomorrow hopefully. I can't wait to have the Fury after a few months of rest.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Squirrel vs. Fury. Sorta like Alien vs. Predator.

I'm finishing up a La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994 as I type this. Damn this is a good cigar. And thanks to the generosity of Scramz, j0z3r, and kas, I've got a tidy little stack of them.