Home Non Cigar Related

Forum Respect Part 2

13»

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Now this is where it belongs! Commence flaming and caps tirades!
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    You guys constantly praise Alex and the CCom staff for the excellent service they provide. Why not show a little appreciation by playing nice in the little sandbox they've created where they don't have to hire a babysitter.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Really you guys should be upset with each other. We should get to the root of the problem. You should be up upset with Algore for inventing the internet. I mean without the internet this conversation would have never happened.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    Wow, what's everyone so pissed off at each other about? We are all here for the same purposes that we all like cigars and brotherhood. I love u all

It's all your fault Ray .... If you didn't fall off you're roof and mangle you're leg none of this would have happened. That's all I have to say.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    The best wa to finish this is for everyone to come play poker on Wednesdays and the winner is declared right.

Sound good?
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want to help all those with frustrations to vent,bomb me with some cigars to let off some steam,lol , preferably opus etc,lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxXp-07lYhk
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I don't know if I can be of any help with this discussion or not but I would like to try.

I have learned a lot from following this forum over the past several years and am very grateful for those lessons but one thing I came in understanding is regarding one’s point of view or personal perspective and how that affects perception. Please bear with me, I promise I will bring this all around to the situation at hand.

It is possible for an individual to alter their view of the world and in doing so, alter their perceptual state. In doing this one can have tremendous insights into their personal self on the positive side but unfortunately run the real risk of psychosis on the negative side. One thing that is grasped quite quickly when one alters their personal view is that they see that we all have developed a view of the world based on our upbringing and it is that view which dominates our perception. You could say that each one of us is like an island in a sea of perception; having our own personal spin on what we perceive based on our social upbringing, like facets to a diamond. Since each of these perceptual states are legitimate, authentic and yet different points of view, the real world cannot be exactly how we perceive it to be. The real world exists independent of our view of it.

Another realization that one has is that what we say and how we say it is also directly affected by our perceptual state in that moment and as our perceptual state changes over time, so do the words we use to communicate. We may choose words differently or we may choose to present our thoughts in a different way based on our perceptual state. Have you ever gone back and read something that you wrote from a few years ago? Did you have the experience of, “not only don’t I remember saying that but that is very different from my perspective now.” How about recently? Is there something you wrote before that if you now wrote it you would say it differently? If that is so then why do we feel the need to defend what we wrote or how we wrote it before, even when we admit to ourselves that we would say it differently now?

When we get into conflicts, it is really our points of view (egos) that are in conflict with one another and believe me, if we were raised in a different way, if our experiences were different, we would have different points of view. We could be just as vehemently arguing the other side of the coin.

If this is the case then; what is the "truth" or what is my "truth"? What "resonates" with me or you? I hope you can see that the answers to these are all relative to a point of view and not as absolute as we would like to believe… and these “truths” also change over time (in other words our thoughts are not static). So if all of this is going on, then what is the point in arguing with one another? Why are we taking things personally? If we do or say something that we later realize was ignorant or insensitive why can't we just own up to it? Why can't we afford to apologize? "Hey I didn't know, I didn't understand, thanks for helping me to see it a different way." Or even "I apologize; I didn't mean it to be taken that way". Why? Because we think we have to be right; we have to defend our actions, our point of view. But again, why? We are our own island in a sea of perception and for some reason we would rather have the attitude of, “Can't you see that I'm right and you are wrong?” Most importantly, why can't we intelligently cooperate with one another to gain a greater perspective on that thing we may need most to understand right now?

Instead I see discussions or even arguments where very few are intelligently cooperating to develop a greater understanding of each other’s personal point of view. Even if it’s not a heated debate it’s generally a waste of time for those involved because they really aren’t learning anything. They are standing on their own island pissing on their neighbor’s island with no intention of understanding anything new. Now in this thread many people are chiming in and bringing up their old axes to grind on one another. Mostly that just shows to me that they didn’t really learn anything from each other the first time around. They are focusing on their perceived view of the other person’s errors in the hopes that no one will see their own missteps. Not realizing that those not directly involved can pretty easily see what’s going on. None of us are perfect, so what! We are good enough however so why don’t we start there. My suggestion, if it matters to anyone, would be to do the best you can, learn from your mistakes and for god's sake laugh! Even if we are all too dense to figure it out sometimes, we are all in the same boat. Thanks jj, (and everyone else who recently posted) there is a need for some laughter around here!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99, well spoken!

Ken Light, Thanks for trying, I've no doubt as to your sincerity, and I understand completely what you're saying, here as well as the 'bad joke' .

I've said it many times, it's very easy to misunderstand/be misunderstood in this format. After all, one of us may be in a jovial mood, and about half lit,.......

and another may be in a serious, or even foul mood, and about half lit.......

KabOOM!

So, if you review your post before pressing "post", and notice that your opening question is: "Are you really that stupid?"

Maybe you should edit first...
    Then post.

Now a question:

When is enough, enough?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    I don't know if I can be of any help with this discussion or not but I would like to try.

I have learned a lot from following this forum over the past several years and am very grateful for those lessons but one thing I came in understanding is regarding one’s point of view or personal perspective and how that affects perception. Please bear with me, I promise I will bring this all around to the situation at hand.

It is possible for an individual to alter their view of the world and in doing so, alter their perceptual state. In doing this one can have tremendous insights into their personal self on the positive side but unfortunately run the real risk of psychosis on the negative side. One thing that is grasped quite quickly when one alters their personal view is that they see that we all have developed a view of the world based on our upbringing and it is that view which dominates our perception. You could say that each one of us is like an island in a sea of perception; having our own personal spin on what we perceive based on our social upbringing, like facets to a diamond. Since each of these perceptual states are legitimate, authentic and yet different points of view, the real world cannot be exactly how we perceive it to be. The real world exists independent of our view of it.

Another realization that one has is that what we say and how we say it is also directly affected by our perceptual state in that moment and as our perceptual state changes over time, so do the words we use to communicate. We may choose words differently or we may choose to present our thoughts in a different way based on our perceptual state. Have you ever gone back and read something that you wrote from a few years ago? Did you have the experience of, “not only don’t I remember saying that but that is very different from my perspective now.” How about recently? Is there something you wrote before that if you now wrote it you would say it differently? If that is so then why do we feel the need to defend what we wrote or how we wrote it before, even when we admit to ourselves that we would say it differently now?

When we get into conflicts, it is really our points of view (egos) that are in conflict with one another and believe me, if we were raised in a different way, if our experiences were different, we would have different points of view. We could be just as vehemently arguing the other side of the coin.

If this is the case then; what is the "truth" or what is my "truth"? What "resonates" with me or you? I hope you can see that the answers to these are all relative to a point of view and not as absolute as we would like to believe… and these “truths” also change over time (in other words our thoughts are not static). So if all of this is going on, then what is the point in arguing with one another? Why are we taking things personally? If we do or say something that we later realize was ignorant or insensitive why can't we just own up to it? Why can't we afford to apologize? "Hey I didn't know, I didn't understand, thanks for helping me to see it a different way." Or even "I apologize; I didn't mean it to be taken that way". Why? Because we think we have to be right; we have to defend our actions, our point of view. But again, why? We are our own island in a sea of perception and for some reason we would rather have the attitude of, “Can't you see that I'm right and you are wrong?” Most importantly, why can't we intelligently cooperate with one another to gain a greater perspective on that thing we may need most to understand right now?

Instead I see discussions or even arguments where very few are intelligently cooperating to develop a greater understanding of each other’s personal point of view. Even if it’s not a heated debate it’s generally a waste of time for those involved because they really aren’t learning anything. They are standing on their own island pissing on their neighbor’s island with no intention of understanding anything new. Now in this thread many people are chiming in and bringing up their old axes to grind on one another. Mostly that just shows to me that they didn’t really learn anything from each other the first time around. They are focusing on their perceived view of the other person’s errors in the hopes that no one will see their own missteps. Not realizing that those not directly involved can pretty easily see what’s going on. None of us are perfect, so what! We are good enough however so why don’t we start there. My suggestion, if it matters to anyone, would be to do the best you can, learn from your mistakes and for god's sake laugh! Even if we are all too dense to figure it out sometimes, we are all in the same boat. Thanks jj, (and everyone else who recently posted) there is a need for some laughter around here!

I respect what you say to a fault.
    That fault being simply this:
    What about the few of us who host more than one personality?
    Are we to be held accountable for what may be said by an alternate personality?
    I, myself control my body for the majority of time but there are times when I am not, let's say, at the wheel.
    If I offend someone while in this state of mind, am I to be held accountable knowing that someone else controls my thoughts and actions for that period of time?
    Just something to think about.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Roberto99:

I respect what you say to a fault.
    That fault being simply this:
    What about the few of us who host more than one personality?
    Are we to be held accountable for what may be said by an alternate personality?
    I, myself control my body for the majority of time but there are times when I am not, let's say, at the wheel.
    If I offend someone while in this state of mind, am I to be held accountable knowing that someone else controls my thoughts and actions for that period of time?
    Just something to think about.
    I hope one of those personalities is a pretty young lady, Rodney.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I have missed you all. Hearts.
  • ROCK AND ROLL! CatFish you are heavy metal in a time of sissy music! Now where is that fool Rick Roll?
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    Glock1975:
    Wow, what's everyone so pissed off at each other about? We are all here for the same purposes that we all like cigars and brotherhood. I love u all

It's all your fault Ray .... If you didn't fall off you're roof and mangle you're leg none of this would have happened. That's all I have to say.
    Lol, now that's funny Bro. As Brian said lets all be friends and play poker next week