Home Non Cigar Related

Let's Talk Barbeque

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streater & buffalonian - thanks for the info guys. You both do chicken a little differently than I usually do - but I might try brining mine next time to see what the difference is.
    Thanks guys! Have a good holiday weekend

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy KC Masterpiece sauce but lately I have really been loving Sweet Baby Ray's and Famous Dave's sauces. KC Masterpiece to me is kind of the big company and you have to find the hidden gems of the little guys. I hope someday to make my own recipe.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Streater & buffalonian - thanks for the info guys. You both do chicken a little differently than I usually do - but I might try brining mine next time to see what the difference is.
    You to bro!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jgibv:
    Brining poultry is awesome, it really does so much. I kind of look at it like a rub for brisket or pork butt...if I can get any flavor into the meat before I cook it, then I'm setting myself up for some tasty food.

I get a little more in depth when I make a brine, but to me it's worth it for that flavor. What I do is put water in a pot, about 1/2-2/3 of the total volume I'll need. I put the heat in and add salt, pepper, bay leaf, allspice, carrot, celery and onion. I cook this down for about 20-30 mins, the water will be considerably darker. What I end up with is almost like a salty soup base, and it works so nicely as a brine. And then basically I add it to a large bowl with ice to cool it, throw the chicken(s) in and let it sit overnight. If you're interested, I can be more specific with measurements.
    j0z3r:
    jgibv:
    Brining poultry is awesome, it really does so much. I kind of look at it like a rub for brisket or pork butt...if I can get any flavor into the meat before I cook it, then I'm setting myself up for some tasty food.

I get a little more in depth when I make a brine, but to me it's worth it for that flavor. What I do is put water in a pot, about 1/2-2/3 of the total volume I'll need. I put the heat in and add salt, pepper, bay leaf, allspice, carrot, celery and onion. I cook this down for about 20-30 mins, the water will be considerably darker. What I end up with is almost like a salty soup base, and it works so nicely as a brine. And then basically I add it to a large bowl with ice to cool it, throw the chicken(s) in and let it sit overnight. If you're interested, I can be more specific with measurements.
    Your brine ingredients are almost identical to what we use when we roast a whole bird in the oven.
    I took the plunge and brined my chicken earlier with a mix of all your guys ingredients - some salt, maple syrup, peppercorn, bay, mustard seed, garlic,,,,etc. basically looked through the spice rack and added anything that seemed like it would go well, then tried to keep all the favors balanced as I was making my Frankenstein concoctin.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

• The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    I smoked this bad boy today .I brine with salt,raw sugar, honey powder, cayenne , and sassafras)The wood was cherry and pecan .
    Wasn't sure which "BBQ/Grilling" thread to bump, found a couple while searching .... so figured I'd start here .....

Nice weather now means that I'm grilling a few times a week.
    Been making my own patties and grillin' some killer burgers lately ...
    Wife says they have a "Mediterranean" flavor to them, whatever it is they're delicious

Mix:
    1 lb ground beef from the in-laws' butcher
    2-3 fresh sage leaves
    1-ish TBSP fresh oregano
    1-ish TSP fresh chives
    2-3 cloves chopped garlic
    1/2-ish TSP Mrs. Dash
    1/2-ish TSP Chipotle/Ancho/Smoked Paprika powder mix
    1-ish TSP breadcrumbs (depending on how "wet" the burgers are
    Salt & Pepper

Form into 4 patties
    (I've tried doing 2 big burgers, but it doesn't seem to cook as well)

Grill 8-9 minutes on med-high heat.
    "Toast" pita pocket bread on the grill about 5-6 mins (to use in place of buns)

Assemble burger:
    Spread goat cheese inside the pita pocket
    Place tomato slice(and arugula if desired) inside pita pocket.
    Place burger patty inside pit pocket.
    Enjoy!!

Some great info for cooking TX style brisket here:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

These guys literally have it down to a science, explaining why it cooks like it does....wild stuff. Worth a read if you're into that kind of thing.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where the hell is Streater and the Buffaloian dudes? I love BBQ..bring it on.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I judged a rib smoking competition this weekend. The winner used an Emeril smoker....$130, only took an hour, best rib I've ever had.... I could not believe it killed all the side by side, drums, and pits that showed up.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Considered going to Memphis in May this year, but then the heavens opened and dumped so much water on the city that there were flood warnings over the weekend. I opted to stay dry. I might just have to go to the BBQ shop, or Central BBQ, or Corky's, or...

Sometimes I love living in Memphis.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    catfishbluezz:
    I judged a rib smoking competition this weekend. The winner used an Emeril smoker....$130, only took an hour, best rib I've ever had.... I could not believe it killed all the side by side, drums, and pits that showed up.
    Sounds like a tough weekend, Dustin
    ;-D

I guess that just goes to show you, doesn't matter how much $$$ you have in gear ... it's all about the cut of meat, how it's prepared and cooking technique.
    Surprised they only took an hour though .... got any more info on how he/she did it? I usually do ribs for 2+ hours, can't imagine them only taking 1 hr.

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    ;-D

I guess that just goes to show you, doesn't matter how much $$$ you have in gear ... it's all about the cut of meat, how it's prepared and cooking technique.
    Surprised they only took an hour though .... got any more info on how he/she did it? I usually do ribs for 2+ hours, can't imagine them only taking 1 hr.
    I prefer the low and slow (really slow) at home. I make an event out of it. Have a bunch of people over and sit around and smoke cigars all afternoon. The 1 hr would be nice for competition though.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    JDH:
    I don't cook it, I just eat it. IMO, there's only three places to get good BBQ - Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin BBQ), Memphis Tennessee (Rondevous BBQ, downtown), and my good buddy Leon's house (in his back yard).
    Oh no no no no NO my friend - we gotta get you up to KC and get you a proper education! LOL Some of the best barbercue joints in the world to be had here, Arthur Bryants, Gates, Jack Stack, and Oklahoma Joe's chief among them! Maybe we need to get an exchange done thru the mail, because if there's better barbercue out there, somebody is gonna have to prove it to me!

Now then, to answer the OP... I love smoking some meat, and usually go with brisket, ribs and pork shoulders to make pulled pork out of. To me, the secret is finding a good rub and giving it time to get into the meat before you even fire the smoker up - even more so than the wood you choose to smoke with. I tend to go with hickory because its my favorite, but every once in a while if Im in the mood for something sweet I will go with apple and a cinnamon heavy rub.

You are definitely right on the low n slow is the way to go when making good barbercue. Gotta be indirect heat also. Some other essentials are some good cigars, drinks of your choice, and something to keep you occupied during the process! All told, if Im gonna smoke something its usually a weekend thing because by the time you figure in time in the fridge with the rub, the low and slow time involved (pork shoulders and briskets mainly, ribs get there a bit quicker), its can be anywhere from a 16-18 hour process and upwards of that depending on how much you're cooking.

SOOOOOO worth it when the process is complete though. ;-)

I will second the placed in KC. Every time I go there I eat any one or all three of them!
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I have a pork shoulder and some ribs on the smoker right now..... ribs almost ready (about 5 hours) pulled pork takes about 14 hours. I will try to post some Q-Pics when it comes off. Loves my Q

EDITED WITH PICS:

Also some ribs.....

Forgot to take pics after it was all pulled and nibbled...... it is gooooooodddddddd!
    jadelt:
    I have a pork shoulder and some ribs on the smoker right now..... ribs almost ready (about 5 hours) pulled pork takes about 14 hours. I will try to post some Q-Pics when it comes off. Loves my Q
    I'll be over here drooling. Dont mind me. Cant wait to see some picks.
    ddubridge:
    jadelt:
    posted pics in the original above..... forgot to get pics after it was pulled..... was too busy eating it!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    ;-D

Tell me about it... I've always done low and slow. I watched him... Had them rubbed, dropped the chips in, tossed the ribs in five minutes later, an hour later...unreal. Tenderness, look, flavor, all A+ and I consider myself a BBQ snob.
    jadelt:
    ddubridge:
    jadelt:
    posted pics in the original above..... forgot to get pics after it was pulled..... was too busy eating it!
    Looks fantastic. Much darker then mine. What do you rub with?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Man I'm jealous of your cabinet. I just have an electric dome smoker. It gets it done but its a whole lot more work.

I hope you guys aren't ruining that lovely smoked pork with some red sauce bbq.

You know NC pulled pork is the best bc we don't have to slop sauce all over it for people to eat it :)
    ddubridge:
    jadelt:
    ddubridge:
    jadelt:
    Looks fantastic. Much darker then mine. What do you rub with?
    It smoked for 14 hours. I make a rub I found on Amazingribs.com. Here is the recipe.
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html
    Smoked this bad boy today.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Dang Drew...looking mouthwatering there fella
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GREAT GOD AMIGHTY!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

ddubridge:
    Mmmm!!! YUM!!!
    Looks great, Drew. How long did you smoke that bird for? How big was it?

We cooked up about a 6-pounder yesterday.
    Cut it into quarters, marinated it in some fresh lemon juice, rosemary, and olive oil. Then tossed it on the grill (threw some rosemary on the hot coals too for extra flavor).

It was good, but very different results than what you got. Your's is mouth-watering though ... making me wish I would've left it whole, slapped a dry rub on and smoked it instead.
    Oh well, there's always next weekend!

She's a young 5-6 lb bird. Set it in a brine of salt and Sugar water for about an hour and a half, pat dry and season lightly (no salt). Shove a half full can of miller, garlic cloves, and onion in the cavity with the neck blocked off with an onion 1/4. 5-6 pads of butter under the skin, smoked on indirect grill heat for 4 hrs with hickory chips. (I soak the chips in beer and OJ diluted with water.

She was fall off the bone and moist as ever. This was all inspired by Bills brined and smoked chicken in this thread. Yummy!!!
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Can't Barby right now. Have a family of Wrens squatting in my side burner compartment. LOL. Have to wait till they move out. LOL
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    punch or vcut?
    no matter where you go, there you are.

V cut. Don't you see the can!