Home Ratings & Reviews

Disapionted by Gurka

Gurkha 60 Ring Cigars Just $3.49 Each, Double Perfecto, Connecticut, 6 X 60
10 Cigars
- beware of theses beasts is the most disgusting cigar I have ever tried. They tasted like crap, outer leaf unfurled while smoking and foot of cigar was mushy.The same things happened on 6 out of ten cigars. I threw the other four away. Cigar.com shame on you for passing these on.

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Email or call a cigar.com rep if you are unsatisifed. They are very good about taking care of their customers.

I will also add that you are probably not the first person with this experience. At times Gurkha's can be hit or miss.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    beechn1:
    10 Cigars
    - beware of theses beasts is the most disgusting cigar I have ever tried. They tasted like crap, outer leaf unfurled while smoking and foot of cigar was mushy.The same things happened on 6 out of ten cigars. I threw the other four away. Cigar.com shame on you for passing these on.
    Why did you continue to smoke em?? Think you could of returned the unused ones and got a prorate. Oh well,, that sucks. And believe it or not,, theres probably someone out there smoking one of these and thinking they are smoking the Rolls Royce of cigars
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    beechn1:
    10 Cigars
    Taste is subjective so you may not like it others may love it.
    Also I'm always weary of the one post wonders.
    You show up bash a cigar and then bash the company that sells them without offering any information... troll life is hard.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Disappointed by Gurkha?
    you arent the first.
    you arent the last.

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Good thing you spelled it correctly, so anyone searching can find your warning easily. Oh wait...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't even smoked one and I'm let down. I got some in a bomb and just sitting in my humi they all split all over the stick! No big RH fluctuations. The temp had changed quite a bit over time but other than that... Didn't even get to smoke them. :(
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    LiquidChaos66:
    I haven't even smoked one and I'm let down. I got some in a bomb and just sitting in my humi they all split all over the stick! No big RH fluctuations. The temp had changed quite a bit over time but other than that... Didn't even get to smoke them. :(
    So now you don't even have to light em for them to fall apart? Sheez
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Guess they now come with a self destruct?
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
    Picture this-
    You recieve a box of Gurkha cigars,, you open the box of cigars,, they look like ordinary cigars,,, thats when you hear this....

Good Morning Mr Phelps,,,,Blah,, Blah,, Blah,, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to ,Blah Blah Blah,,and as always should you or any member of your IM force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions , These cigars will self destruct in 5 sec,, Good Luck Jim!!!!
    LiquidChaos66:
    Guess they now come with a self destruct?
    those are the new MI6 version,, see what i did there
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Picture this-
    You recieve a box of Gurkha cigars,, you open the box of cigars,, they look like ordinary cigars,,, thats when you hear this....

Good Morning Mr Phelps,,,,Blah,, Blah,, Blah,, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to ,Blah Blah Blah,,and as always should you or any member of your IM force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions , These cigars will self destruct in 5 sec,, Good Luck Jim!!!!
    Too funny!!!
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I've gotten to the point with Gurkhas that I won't ever smoke or attempt to smoke another one. I've given them plenty of tries and in my opinion they just suck. I still have a bunch kicking around my humidors that I know I'll never touch or even gift to anyone because I wouldn't want them to have a bad cigar experience.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I thought all of the Gurkhas I see in this forum were just the same ones, moving from bomb to bomb. People smoke them?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Disappointed by Gurkha?
    you arent the first.
    you arent the last.

lol... for a company with a really good logo I have a hard time finding many people who defend them. Though I do like a few of their sticks comparing that to the list of sticks they have and I don't like I would consider them a bad company.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I thought all of the Gurkhas I see in this forum were just the same ones, moving from bomb to bomb. People smoke them?
    hehe, that's funny... come to think of it usually they do get into bombs.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Hilarious! :D
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    LOL I'm gonna post this every chance I get.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Others sites sell plenty of cheap cigars that will blow up as well, I do not fault Ccom for selling this crap, I fault Gurkha for packaging it as a premium and not what it truly is. A cheap bundle cigar worth a buck at most.
    catfishbluezz:
    Others sites sell plenty of cheap cigars that will blow up as well, I do not fault Ccom for selling this crap, I fault Gurkha for packaging it as a premium and not what it truly is. A cheap bundle cigar worth a buck at most.
    I don't really hate Gurkha.......... Not yet anyway. I'm just making fun with the apparent consensus here on the forums. I have yet to try several different ten packs I bought cheap on the sprint sales. I hope they don't suck too bad. I bought them back before I read all the bad stuff about them here. I'll try and keep an open mind. But until I try these, I'm not buying any more.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    I don't really hate Gurkha.......... Not yet anyway. I'm just making fun with the apparent consensus here on the forums. I have yet to try several different ten packs I bought cheap on the sprint sales. I hope they don't suck too bad. I bought them back before I read all the bad stuff about them here. I'll try and keep an open mind. But until I try these, I'm not buying any more.
    I'd agree with this. Do Gurkha's blow up often? Yeah, way more often than any other brand (in my personal experience). But, Do I still like them (and smoke through the construction issue anyway? Yeah! I just buy (and pay) with the expectation that some of them will crack, split, have a bad draw, whatever. USUALLY it is not bad enough to ruin the cigar.

On another note, I tried a cellar reserve and it was pretty damn good, and it was great construction-wise too. Still a little pricey.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ice ice baby
    Money can't buy taste
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People especially the newer smoker see that msrp on them and read the bs about the Rolls Royce of cigars and see the "incredible deal" they are getting. But still I do enjoy a few of them. Never had any split in the humi before, that would tick me off. And as I always say you got to dry box any of them for a day before smoking.
  • stephen_hannibal:
    Taste is subjective so you may not like it others may love it.
    Also I'm always weary of the one post wonders.
    You show up bash a cigar and then bash the company that sells them without offering any information... troll life is hard.
    Although I'm new to the board myself and chose to participate in this thread, I too am wary of the OP. Not only are 2 out of the 3 words that make up the title of the thread misspelled, but the very first post from this user was written to bash this site and a cigar maker. I'm almost interested to see if we get any other (hopefully productive) output from this user.
    Rhamlin:
    People especially the newer smoker see that msrp on them and read the bs about the Rolls Royce of cigars and see the "incredible deal" they are getting. But still I do enjoy a few of them.
    The company does a good job at luring people in to buy their cigars with all the marketing hype and the elaborate labels and boxes. The average Gurkha costs more than the typical cigar from another company rolling a similar wrapper/binder/filler combination, and it is unfortunate to say that most of that price difference is due to labeling and packaging as opposed to blending and construction. With a little budget tweak, what I have found to be good cigars could be outstanding cigars.

I am fortunate not to have had a tremendous problem with consistency, as many others have attested to on the board. I have bought Gurkha by the box after having tried individual sticks first and enjoyed the contents as much as the loosies I sampled. That being said, I don't see myself making box purchases anymore and will probably only herf the once in a blue moon Gurkha single if the price is right (if at all). I actually haven't had a Gurkha in some time and I think that subconsciously I really just don't want to financially support a company with the philosohpy I perceive them to have. My issue with Gurkha is the budgeting I mentioned. Too much is spent on labeling and packaging. While I appreciate the artwork and really like the way some labels and boxes look, it doesn't justify the price differential. I don't mind paying more for a cigar, but when I do it should be not just for a prettier packaging, but for a more outstanding smoke as well.

Ironically, it is some of their lower-moderate priced product that I enjoy most. It seems that the more expensive a Gurkha is, the more warped the ratio of packaging:blending becomes. At a certain price point, the additional perceived investment from Gurkha on the actual cigar starts to be too marginal with respect to the definite increase in investment on packaging. The Royal Challenge, the Evil, and the Grand Reserve are low-moderate in price and really hit the spot and deliver to me what I look for out of each stick: cream texture, smooth earthiness, and sweet infusion, respectively. Most notable is that while I consider these to be gems, none of them come packaged in a treasure chest.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

after that last post i feel the need to link this again: An Open Letter to Gurkha

• kuzi16:

after that last post i feel the need to link this again: An Open Letter to Gurkha

Good letter. It was a real eye-opener.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    kuzi16:

Perfect. I have not purchased or even accepted as a gift a Gurkha for a very long time. Nothing but crap IMHO. I wrote them off years ago. I have been tutoring a friend whom is getting into cigars. I have gifted him brands based on his likes and have had great success in giving him grins. As with a good bomb, this makes me happy! He recently came to me and proudly reported that he went out on a limb and purchased a box of sticks.... he was giddy and I was happy for him. I assumed he bought a box of something I recommended, he tried, and liked as I told him to not commit to a box without knowing he will like them. I was wrong, he got a "good deal" on some Gurkhas..... I didn't want to rain on his parade and was hopeful that he may be one of those rare folks who actually like them. He let them rest for a while.... and reported on a Monday morning. He was not happy. He was pretty down. I felt bad and gave him some goodies to replace the crap. For a comparable price, there are a ton of good sticks to choose from. No, they were not purchased from CCom (another error) and the retailer is not helping. Shame on Gurkha. Like Kuzi stated, they belong in the trash. I am glad I could show this guy that really good cigars exist and this won't put a damper on him enjoying a great hobby.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "I too am wary of the OP. Not only are 2 out of the 3 words that make up the title of the thread misspelled, but the very first post from this user was written to bash this site and a cigar maker. I'm almost interested to see if we get any other (hopefully productive) output from this user."

Well, considering that within 2 hours of the OP's first posting here, he was told that he was wrong to post a complaint and called a troll, he might not have wanted to return.

I don't get the board complaints. New consumer buys something from a seller that has a comments section. Buyer is dissatisified, goes to comment board to complain. Whoa, outrageous, right?

I know you folks are sticklers for spelling here ....
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    As to Gurkha, I agree that (like many other brands) their perfectos can be problematic smokes. I have had several that smokeed alright, but I bet just as many that had burn problems.

Their parejos are a different case. I don't recall any problems with them.

I'm a big fan of the Ancient Warrior series (an 8" cigar that burns swell), the Class Regeant, and although it gets bashed a lot too, I dig the Bklack Dragon line.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    I will claim the remainder of the box and send to Matt as I know he can't get enough Gurkha.... :)
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"