Home Non Cigar Related
Options

A scripture a day keeps the devil at bay.

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Ecclesiastes 4:10
    10. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28 ESV)

I missed seeing a verse yesterday, so thought I'd throw one out there for y'all.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Sorry, its been a long few days.

Proverbs 8:6-7
    Devil [6] Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things. [7] For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Proverbs 10:1
    1. The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father:but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Proverbs 10:12
    12. Hatred stirreth up strifes; but love covereth all sins.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Changing names again Rodney? You Bored Bro?

Aj
  • Options
    Romans 5:8
    8. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    1 Corenthians 13:11
    11. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Galations 1:3
    3. Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Luke 21:1-4 As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Galatians 2:20
    20. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    James 1:12-15
    12. Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. 13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own ****, and enticed. 15. Then when **** hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to stay away from this thread, cause I'm not a real religious sort.
    But this article has to make one question some things.
    http://www.today.com/news/bible-bus-drivers-pocket-stops-two-bullets-saves-his-life-2D12164419
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    I tried to stay away from this thread, cause I'm not a real religious sort.
    But this article has to make one question some things.
    http://www.today.com/news/bible-bus-drivers-pocket-stops-two-bullets-saves-his-life-2D12164419
    I'm a religious person, but I might just cry "coincidence!" Why did he get attacked in the first place? The problems of suffering and evil raise too many questions about God to simply say in this one instance it makes you wonder because there's simply too much evil and suffering to go around.

It's one of my favorite topics in theology and ethics. The problem of theodicy. It's always unsatisfying, but I've not heard anything more satisfying, or that makes more sense, than the gospel. And in the end, I believe it because I believe that Jesus really did rise from the dead. Anyone who wants to convince me otherwise would have to make some pretty powerful arguments against the resurrection.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Cool story, Tony! Personally, I don't believe in luck, or chance or coincidence. The sovereign God of creation has every hair on the heads of His creatures numbered, and a sparrow does not fall to the ground without His knowledge. Coincidence suggests there are things that happen that He either doesn't care about or can't control. Most of His behind-the-scenes providence is never noticed... but every now and then something extra-ordinary pops up and gives us a reason to say, "Wow! There's something bigger than us in this world!" Bet that bus driver was thinking something like that. Probably made him want to go get a new Bible without holes in it and start reading to find out more.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    Cool story, Tony! Personally, I don't believe in luck, or chance or coincidence. The sovereign God of creation has every hair on the heads of His creatures numbered, and a sparrow does not fall to the ground without His knowledge. Coincidence suggests there are things that happen that He either doesn't care about or can't control. Most of His behind-the-scenes providence is never noticed... but every now and then something extra-ordinary pops up and gives us a reason to say, "Wow! There's something bigger than us in this world!" Bet that bus driver was thinking something like that. Probably made him want to go get a new Bible without holes in it and start reading to find out more.
    I don't really believe in luck/chance/coincidence either, but I do believe in free-will and an untraceable chain of choices that humans make, cause and effect style, into which God certainly can and sometimes does choose to intervene, but does not always. No, I'm not an Open Theist...

Anyway, the (large) part of me that is a cynic hears these stories and thinks they get turned into a saccharine spirituality that ignores the suffering and evil and brokenness that is inherent in the story itself. I find that God is the only answer to these things, even though I want to cry out on behalf of the victim (and maybe the perps, too). I mean, scripture is filled with the heartbreak of injustice and the effects of evil. God has a way to deal with it, but the real-world effects are still there.

Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones waste away. Because of all my adversaries I have become a reproach, especially to my neighbors, and an object of dread to my acquaintances; those who see me in the street flee from me. I have been forgotten like one who is dead; I have become like a broken vessel. For I hear the whispering of many— terror on every side!— as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life. (Psalm 31:9-13, ESV)

While the Psalmist experiences the worst, he doesn't gloss over it, but is still filled with hope and faith.

• Options
    Fair enough, sir. Didn't intend to spark a debate. Had my fill of theology forums.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't intended for it to be taken so seriously.
    It was meant as a lighthearted look at how sometimes you cannot explain things and how something might be in more control of things than we are.
    I apologize if it offended anyone. That was not the intent.

Slinking quietly back into my corner now.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    I hadn't intended for it to be taken so seriously.
    It was meant as a lighthearted look at how sometimes you cannot explain things and how something might be in more control of things than we are.
    I apologize if it offended anyone. That was not the intent.

Slinking quietly back into my corner now.
    No. My bad, I probably shouldn't have jumped on it like I did. It's not offensive to me and I think you're right...it's something that makes you question how the universe works, and that's a good thing. I just get caught up in other questions too easily, and basically missed the point of what this was saying to YOU.

I do get tired of all the trite "God is in Control" posts I see make the rounds from time to time. I have no doubt he is, but sentimentality can stay on Hallmark cards.

Of course, I need to remember the other side of my own favorite quote sometimes...

All of us ... are diminished and dishonoured when we do not meet each other half way. How can we in truth and lovingly help one another in this? Because we must remember that truth without love is violence. And love without truth is sentimentality. We do need both.
    -- Muriel Bishop, "Integrity," 1990

Blessings to you.

• Options
    Psalm 23:1-6
    1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Psalms 31:1
    1. In thee, O Lord , do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Joshua 4:23-24
    23. For the Lord your God dried up the waters of Jordan from before you, until ye were passed over, as the Lord your God did to the Red sea, which he dried up from before us, until we were gone over:
    24. That all the people of the earth might know the hand of the Lord, that it is mighty: that ye might fear the Lord your God for ever. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    2 Kings 2:11-12
    11. And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 12. And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Songs of Soloman 8:7
    7. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Romans 5:6-10
    6. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
    7. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
    8. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    9. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
    10. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Jude 1:20-21
    20. But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
    21. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Acts 13:7-12
    7. Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
    8. But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.
    9. Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
    10. And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?
    11. And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness; and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand.
    12. Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Acts 14:8-10
    8. And there sat a certain man at Lystra, impotent in his feet, being a cripple from his mother's womb, who never had walked:
    9. The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed,
    10. Said with a loud voice, Stand upright on thy feet. And he leaped and walked. …
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Mathew 11:28-30
    28. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
    One God, One Truth