Home Cigar 101
Options

Are Xikar cutters worth the expense?

Comments

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    This is essentially the same question that is constantly asked at my work place, except regarding tools. Now, where I work, having the right tool is essential and having the wrong tool can make life very difficult. Snap-On tools are great tools and if anything ever happens to them, they'll replace them free of charge, no questions asked. On the flip side they cost more than 20 times what other tool companies charge who do not offer lifetime warranty.

My point, where I work, only the idiots buy from the Snap-On truck. They sell a set of 10 Long Combination Wrenchs for $442.00. I paid $17.00 5 years ago for my set at Harbor Freight, which I have beaten the s**t out of, and have had no problems whatsoever. I imagine I'll get at least 10 good years out of them if not much more. When, and if, they break, I'll but another set and I'll only have spent $34.00.

My point. I usually punch my cigars. When my punch wears out, I'll buy another one for $1.00 and I'll only have spent $2.00!
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    This is essentially the same question that is constantly asked at my work place, except regarding tools. Now, where I work, having the right tool is essential and having the wrong tool can make life very difficult. Snap-On tools are great tools and if anything ever happens to them, they'll replace them free of charge, no questions asked. On the flip side they cost more than 20 times what other tool companies charge who do not offer lifetime warranty.

My point, where I work, only the idiots buy from the Snap-On truck. They sell a set of 10 Long Combination Wrenchs for $442.00. I paid $17.00 5 years ago for my set at Harbor Freight, which I have beaten the s**t out of, and have had no problems whatsoever. I imagine I'll get at least 10 good years out of them if not much more. When, and if, they break, I'll but another set and I'll only have spent $34.00.

My point. I usually punch my cigars. When my punch wears out, I'll buy another one for $1.00 and I'll only have spent $2.00!
    Very good points! But! Over a period of 30 years, I would have beaten you in savings with my Xikar cutter ;)... THIS is assuming the company still exists..
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    It is most certainly worth the price. A perfect cut everytime, lifetime guarantee and very good quality. You will not be disappointed. Xikar is a great company offering great customer service. I believe you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think some are "more worth it" than others. the $400.00 mammoth tusk one is a bit off the deep end

LINK
  • Options
    I just got the MTX scissor cutter/multi tool. this thing kicks ass. it folds up so its easy to keep in your pocket and i dig the idea of the lifetime warranty to. it was 33 bucks but in my mind it was worth it.
  • Options
    have had the xi3 for a couple of weeks. Sure, it is new so the blades are sharp, but honestly I don't see where it cuts any better than the $6 cheapo I started out with. I also agree with the other guys who have mentioned how you have to re-open it to clean out the blade area after every cut - that takes approx. 20 seconds away from my day...lol
  • Options
    No. Buy cigars instead.
  • Options
    24footjet:
    No. Buy cigars instead.
    spoken like someone who doesnt own a xikar... or a college student...
  • Options
    magicseven:
    I bought the xikar punch, I love it so far.
    oooh i want one. this will be my next punch once this one loses its edge.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    magicseven:
    I bought the xikar punch, I love it so far.
    oooh i want one. this will be my next punch once this one loses its edge.
    I've got a cheap punch that I use nearly every cigar, just my preference. I figure it will wear out soon, and then I'll get the Xicar. That thing looks awesome.
  • Options
    i had a chance to use on at my local shop. they just started to sell xikar recently. it was a big improvement over the cheaper one i had on my key chain. ....and i just bought that one.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I have the Xi2 cutter, but I actually don't own a punch. When I do get one I'm going to get the larger ring gauge Xikar punch I saw at my local B&M the other day.
  • Options
    Aswered like a tough guy who does nothing but replies sarcastically to somebodies opinion...be it different from their own. I'm glad you like your Xikar... I have one... and several punches and cigar scissors and have been smoking cigars for over 10 years now. So I'll nip this in the bud... I'm 35 years old and not a college student... like I said earlier, spend your money on cigars. If you want to continue this further, send me a PM and we'll exchange chest thumping cigar stories big man. Save your sarcasm for some puss who will take it laying down. I've alway got a loose edge when I cut with my Xikar, never happened with my cheap one. Don't use the Xikar anymore.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    chill out. if you check kuzi's extensive post history, he never answers "like a tough guy" and helps hundreds of people on this site daily.

At the time you offered no reason as to why you believe xikar were inferior so you got an equally informative response from kuzi. Your over-reaction to his response proves that you are the one who is looking to "thump chests". Not Kuzi
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    ncblazer:
    have had the xi3 for a couple of weeks. Sure, it is new so the blades are sharp, but honestly I don't see where it cuts any better than the $6 cheapo I started out with. I also agree with the other guys who have mentioned how you have to re-open it to clean out the blade area after every cut - that takes approx. 20 seconds away from my day...lol
    haha, yeah I too feel this way but after you use it for a long time it still cuts the same. that is where it shines. I've had mine for almost a year (i3) and I've cut at least a hundred or so cigars and it still cuts wonderfully.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    ironhorse:
    chill out. if you check kuzi's extensive post history, he never answers "like a tough guy" and helps hundreds of people on this site daily.

At the time you offered no reason as to why you believe xikar were inferior so you got an equally informative response from kuzi. Your over-reaction to his response proves that you are the one who is looking to "thump chests". Not Kuzi
    I agree, that was rather un called for after a comment made in jest... Obviously someone who isn't aware of Kuzi's fine standing around here and can't take a joke...
  • Options
    as Rodney would so eloquently say.."can't we all just get along"..lmao
  • Options
    Not interested in thumping chests guys. Also not interested in making a simple comment and being labeled as a novice with a smart reply. My post of "No, buy cigars instead" says it all. Simple, my opinion. All of a sudden I am a cheap college student smoking white owls and cutting them with my teeth? Sounded like a joke...? Nevetheless I'm over it. I guess opinions other than Kuzi's don't matter. So I guess go spend 40 to 70 bucks on a Xikar. I'll buy some smokes with my money and rip off the cap with my teeth!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey, 24footjet.. Check your Inbox
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    24footjet:
    Aswered like a tough guy who does nothing but replies sarcastically to somebodies opinion...be it different from their own. I'm glad you like your Xikar... I have one... and several punches and cigar scissors and have been smoking cigars for over 10 years now. So I'll nip this in the bud... I'm 35 years old and not a college student... like I said earlier, spend your money on cigars. If you want to continue this further, send me a PM and we'll exchange chest thumping cigar stories big man. Save your sarcasm for some puss who will take it laying down. I've alway got a loose edge when I cut with my Xikar, never happened with my cheap one. Don't use the Xikar anymore.
    Wow...someone has a huge chip on their shoulder. Kuzi can stick up for himself just fine, but you might wanna get to know someone before you go start bashing people.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    24footjet:
    Not interested in thumping chests guys. Also not interested in making a simple comment and being labeled as a novice with a smart reply. My post of "No, buy cigars instead" says it all. Simple, my opinion. All of a sudden I am a cheap college student smoking white owls and cutting them with my teeth? Sounded like a joke...? Nevetheless I'm over it. I guess opinions other than Kuzi's don't matter. So I guess go spend 40 to 70 bucks on a Xikar. I'll buy some smokes with my money and rip off the cap with my teeth!
    I'd say that you're not being labeled a college kid smoking cheap white owls...
    As with anything on the internet nothing comes across worse than inflection...

Your post came across Elitist... No one on this forum save for a select few (read Capt, Vince O and a couple others) are able to always enjoy the finer things in life, and even they have been hit by the economic crisis. Everyone on this forum treats their cigars like children and worry about every detail down to whether to keep the cello on or off, and if someone somewhere has found out that the Xikar cutter offers a more pleasurable experience then everyone here will covet it, and will have to make DAMN sure that it is worth the money before purchasing.
    Now comes the Elitist part, if you are so "Seasoned" in your post to have smoked so many cigars and used the Xikar before and thought that it not to be worth it's weight in scrap metal then we'd like to know why. Because you didn't divulge this info also makes you more stand-offish.

This is the one forum that protects it's own and includes everyone, if someone asks a stupid question than we will support them and TEACH them how to function in OUR society.

"It takes a village to raise a child"

That is why we take care of any of our BOTL...
    Other forums when you ask something stupid DARWIN comes into play and everyone devours the little guy and you need a 300ct just to post respectively.... We are not like that.

This is the best forum on the internet... Some think so, some don't... I am at home here...

Mono-Syllabic answers are really not welcome here for we want to know the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHY and HOW before we have had our fill of information...

I'm not saying this is right, but this forum has some unwritten rules... MOST fourms have unwritten rules, the good thing is OUR rules include the underdog and exclude idiocy... others do not...

Like I said, Inflection cannot be conveyed over text on the internet, this post is not one of scolding, but of interpretation and mediation... hopefully it is taken this way

Now let's go smoke!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    24footjet:
    I'd say that you're not being labeled a college kid smoking cheap white owls...
    As with anything on the internet nothing comes across worse than inflection...

Your post came across Elitist... No one on this forum save for a select few (read Capt, Vince O and a couple others) are able to always enjoy the finer things in life, and even they have been hit by the economic crisis. Everyone on this forum treats their cigars like children and worry about every detail down to whether to keep the cello on or off, and if someone somewhere has found out that the Xikar cutter offers a more pleasurable experience then everyone here will covet it, and will have to make DAMN sure that it is worth the money before purchasing.
    Now comes the Elitist part, if you are so "Seasoned" in your post to have smoked so many cigars and used the Xikar before and thought that it not to be worth it's weight in scrap metal then we'd like to know why. Because you didn't divulge this info also makes you more stand-offish.

This is the one forum that protects it's own and includes everyone, if someone asks a stupid question than we will support them and TEACH them how to function in OUR society.

"It takes a village to raise a child"

That is why we take care of any of our BOTL...
    Other forums when you ask something stupid DARWIN comes into play and everyone devours the little guy and you need a 300ct just to post respectively.... We are not like that.

This is the best forum on the internet... Some think so, some don't... I am at home here...

Mono-Syllabic answers are really not welcome here for we want to know the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHY and HOW before we have had our fill of information...

I'm not saying this is right, but this forum has some unwritten rules... MOST fourms have unwritten rules, the good thing is OUR rules include the underdog and exclude idiocy... others do not...

Like I said, Inflection cannot be conveyed over text on the internet, this post is not one of scolding, but of interpretation and mediation... hopefully it is taken this way

Now let's go smoke!
    Impeccably well said, and an excellent explanation of the very reasons I love this forum.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lassy, As Hays just stated, very well said Lassy. Besides being our resident wit, you also seem to be a wise man. Makes me glad I'm part of this forum.
  • Options
    24footjet:
    sorry i havent been around to respond to this. its gettin busy at work again.

first:
    my chest is far to scrawny to thump. i hardly see the need to try and call me out to on the forum. PMing you would solve nothing, even if there was something to prove.

next:
    your reply of "No. Buy cigars instead." had zero explanation. if what you said was along the lines of "I own one. though the cut is solid, i feel you can get a decent cut from a $5 cutter so dont waste your money, buy cigars instead" i may be inclined to agree with you. i have gone years without a Xikar cutter. i seemed to get along just fine. when one all but fell into my lap i gave it a shot. for the money i paid, i feel that the cut, the solid nature and the lifetime warranty are worth the expense. Many of the younger and more cash-challenged posters (read: college students) on this forum have yet to experience a xikar product. most of the older and slightly more well off posters have. its fairly easy to make a jump and assume that you dont have one (because you would have bought cigars instead based off your post) and therefore are in the "college student" category, where finances are a bit more constricted

last:
    yes i have been known to be sarcastic. but i am far more likely to be sarcastic about how much of a nerd i am. im not sure if i made it clear in the first few lines of this post how much of a tough guy i am not. so let me make it clear... im not a tough guy. If you feel like thumping your chest in a PM to me, feel free...
    but i assure you that i will promptly delete it and ignore it because thats not what this forum is about.

ok...
    sorry. one more thing...

it sucks you get a loose edge with your xikar. this seems like this is not preforming up to standard. they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. maybe you should try and replace it through them (for free). who knows, maybe you will end up with a cutter that you actually like. HERE is a link to there warranty page with instructions on how to make that happen.
    good luck

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    Lassy, As Hays just stated, very well said Lassy. Besides being our resident wit, you also seem to be a wise man. Makes me glad I'm part of this forum.
    ooooh ... a wise guy...
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Thanks Kas, pm back. I'll be a little more informative next time about why I don't like things... I guess short and sweet isn't sweet at all. Thanks for the link Kuzi... nice post lasabar... now... going to smoke a swisher sweet and a black and mild..... whilst I read economics 101...hehe.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    24footjet:
    Thanks Kas, pm back. I'll be a little more informative next time about why I don't like things... I guess short and sweet isn't sweet at all. Thanks for the link Kuzi... nice post lasabar... now... going to smoke a swisher sweet and a black and mild..... whilst I read economics 101...hehe.
    eh, everyone around here is an ass, but most of us like ****... lol. BTW I too would rather spend 70 bucks on cigars rather than a cutter, but I do believe that a good cutter will benifit you in the long run. I at one time went through many cheap cutters because after a few cigars they would start to cause imperfections in the cut and or pull filling or rip the cap.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    after many failed "cheap" cutters I am about ready to pull the trigger and get a Xikar. But Jeff says he has a nice cutter that he is going to throw in with my order, hopefully it does the trick. If not, it's Xikar time.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    As much as I like my Xikar, I've found myself going back to a standard double guillotine cutter recently...something about the way it functions is more comfortable to me and gives me a more reliable cut.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    phobicsquirrel:
    24footjet:
    eh, everyone around here is an ass, but most of us like ****... lol. BTW I too would rather spend 70 bucks on cigars rather than a cutter, but I do believe that a good cutter will benifit you in the long run. I at one time went through many cheap cutters because after a few cigars they would start to cause imperfections in the cut and or pull filling or rip the cap.
    I disagree with words 8 through 13 of your post ;) just playin i loves ****...that attitudes of course.