Home Non Cigar Related

Let's Talk Barbeque

Comments

• BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    I did a little chillin' and grillin' over the holiday
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    image honey brined apple/cherry smoked turkey
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoked about 16 lbs of pork butt on Saturday....
    Did 2-boneless butts, they were pretty even weight wise (bought them at Costco)

Trimmed off the excess fat, rinsed and dried, light coating of vegetable oil, then rubbed on Meathead's Memphis Dust Friday after work (about 8 hours before going on the grill). I didn't have garlic powder or ginger powder so I grated some fresh, and rubbed it on after the oil, before the dry rub.

Woke up around 3:00 am to get the coals started and get everything set up...pulled the pork from the fridge and sprinkled on a little more rub (about 1.5 tbsp each side)
    The temp on the grill was up to 225 by 3:15 ... so I added the wood chips (about a 2:1:1 ratio of jack daniels:pecan:apple) and put the butts on the grate.

The butts prior to going on the grill:

Added more wood chips about every 30-45 minutes for the first 2.5 hours --- and adjusted the vents a few times to maintain 225 temp.
    Smoked a couple cigars and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the night.....not much going on at that hour.

Around 430-500 AM I noticed a car had stopped in the road pretty right in front of our house, so I got up from my chair to look around, see what was going on and noticed it was a police car...hmm.
    Saw the cop get out and start walking around the street, walked around from the garage (with my arm's out at my side so he didn't shoot me LOL) and asked if I could help him with something. I had the garage light on and a spotlight on next to the grill but I still don't think he was expecting to see me.
    He must have thought I needed help and "asked is everything ok, do you need help?"
    I said "Oh heck yeah I'm fine! Just smoking some delicious pork butt on the grill" ....
    cop said "oh ok, I could smell the smoke, we've had some fires in the area (kids lighting bushes on fire on the nearby bike path) and I was just checking it out"
    I said "no, just me. Haven't seen or heard anyone else out in the last couple hours.
    cop said "oh ok, well have a good night" (pretty sure he thought I had lost my marbles LOL) and drove off.

After that I finished up my cigar, put a few more coals on the fire and went inside around 6 AM to lay down for a minute.
    Got up at 7 to check the grill, stoke the coals, etc. and all was good still right around 225. Went in, laid back down, then up again at 830. Grill had dropped to around 180 and there was a lot of ash in the bottom of the grate so I started some new coals in the chimney, and dumped out the grate. Had it back up to 225 in no time and added a handful of wood chips to finish off the jack daniels bag.

Kept checking the grill every 45 min-1 hour, and watching the thermometer probes rise. Finally just before noon it was averaging right around 195 F. So I did the "stick a fork in it test" and the fork twisted with almost no effort.

The pork was done.

Took it inside and let it rest for about a half hour before pulling it apart.
    Served it with Bourbon BBQ Beans, homemade mac & cheese, and pumpkin cornbread....deeelicious.

And there was plenty of meat for "leftovers" too so I'll get to enjoy it all week!

I followed the recipe/method described here, on Amazing Ribs.com for the pork.
    I also got the rub & bean recipe from that site as well. I've used them for ribs & brisket in the past too, lots of good info there.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    THIS IS MY KIND OF THREAD! I love bbq! Now i'm going to be hungry for some bbq all day long
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Just had some pork lovingly smoked overnight with an award winning homemade sauce (secret ingredient-figs!). It was made by an acquaintance's friend and brought for lunch. YUM! Free BBQ.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    Amazing ribs is by far the best BBQ site I have found. Every recipe I have used has been awesome! Meathead knows how to cook!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Gibby, you and I need to talk BBQ.
    curtiscr79:
    Amazing ribs is by far the best BBQ site I have found. Every recipe I have used has been awesome! Meathead knows how to cook!
    Heck yeah, never found a bad recipe on there ---- done ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and I think I used one of their chicken recipes too, it's always great. And meatheads Memphis dust rub is my personal favorite rub, oh so good.

Amazingribs.com & Virtualweberbullet.com are 2 of the best/most informative BBQ sites I've come across.

ddubridge:
    Talk to me bro. What do you have comin up? I think I'm going to do a whole chicken next time....prob not this weekend but maybe the weekend after.

FYI

DEAL for all you charcoal folks out there....

@ Home Depot
    Today - 4/13
    On sale:

Kingsford Blue Charcoal Briquettes - 2 x 20lb pack (40 lbs total) - for $12.88
    Royal Oak Natrual Lump Wood Charcoal - 17.6 lb bag - for $12.97

http://localad.homedepot.com

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does grilling count?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    Does grilling count?
    I don't see why not....
    What you been grillin' DZR???

• curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    jgibv:
    FYI

@ Home Depot
    Today - 4/13
    On sale:

I bought 320 pounds last Labor Day when Lowes had it $9.95 per 2 x 20lb. I am hoping they are going to do the same on Memorial Day like last year so I can buy another few hundred pounds. I only have a few bags left and my WSM is going to be given a workout this year.
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:
    Does grilling count?
    I don't see why not....
    Everything. If you follow me on Instagram/Twitter you'd know
    curtiscr79:
    jgibv:
    FYI

@ Home Depot
    Today - 4/13
    On sale:

I bought 320 pounds last Labor Day when Lowes had it $9.95 per 2 x 20lb. I am hoping they are going to do the same on Memorial Day like last year so I can buy another few hundred pounds. I only have a few bags left and my WSM is going to be given a workout this year.
    Nice.
    I picked up a 2x 18lb pack of Kingsford competition at Costco a few weeks ago for like $15. I know it's supposed to be better than the blue, but I haven't been able to tell a difference so grabbed 3 packs (120 lbs) of the blue this morning .

How do you store large quantities like that? I'm thinking about just stacking the bags up in the garage but am wondering if I should get a big plastic box or trash can and just open the bags and dump all the briquettes in.

danielzreyes:
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:
    Does grilling count?
    I don't see why not....
    Everything. If you follow me on Instagram/Twitter you'd know
    I thought I already followed you on Twitter, now I'll have to go check.

I'm not an Instagramian though.

Here are a few recent ones
    photo E1BAE579-orig.jpg
    and a few more
    photo 6D94271F-orig.jpg
    Lookin good DZR. Love the pics but it's hard to see the good stuff on the grill with those cigars in the way LOL!!!!

Do I spy some steaks, burgers, vegggies..???
    What type of grill you rockin'?

I did some mild-sausages, sliced onions, and skewered bell pepper chunks and potato chunks the other day. Covered with a little olive oil, S&P....
    Threw on a couple red delicious apples sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon too....
    Dang, that's a quick and easy meal that always turns out good. And fairly healthy too. It smelled like summertime....yum

jgibv:
    ddubridge:
    Talk to me bro. What do you have comin up? I think I'm going to do a whole chicken next time....prob not this weekend but maybe the weekend after.
    Brisket. I think we may have talked brisket before, but the last one didnt turn out so good. looking for pointers.
    ddubridge:
    jgibv:
    ddubridge:
    Brisket. I think we may have talked brisket before, but the last one didnt turn out so good. looking for pointers.
    Ahh we may have talked Brisket before but I don't remember for sure....
    Remind me what went wrong with yours....was it a texture issues? flavor? doneness? etc?....
    I've only done brisket a couple times but I followed this pretty much step-by-step ...
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html ...

It turned out pretty good following the steps in that link above. The only complaint was I went a little heavy on the dried chili pepper in my dry rub so the brisket was a little on the "spicy" side.....
    Take a look at that link though and then get back to me.

jgibv:
    ddubridge:
    jgibv:
    ddubridge:
    Ahh we may have talked Brisket before but I don't remember for sure....
    Remind me what went wrong with yours....was it a texture issues? flavor? doneness? etc?....
    I've only done brisket a couple times but I followed this pretty much step-by-step ...
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html ...

It turned out pretty good following the steps in that link above. The only complaint was I went a little heavy on the dried chili pepper in my dry rub so the brisket was a little on the "spicy" side.....
    Take a look at that link though and then get back to me.
    It was dry and unflavorful. This is the link I was looking for. Less dried chili pepper. noted.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great site. His Memphis Dust rub recipe is awesome. I use it on ribs and butt for pulled pork. Have not tried brisket yet.
    Fresh farm raised chicken from the inlaws farm...some memphis dust rub....charcoal....apple and a little pecan wood chips....300-325 for about 2.5 hrs....yum

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Fresh farm raised chicken from the inlaws farm...some memphis dust rub....charcoal....apple and a little pecan wood chips....300-325 for about 2.5 hrs....yum
    Damn that looks yummy!
    Rack of ribs today. First nice day to smoke a cigar and barbecue image
    Bigshizza:
    Damn that looks yummy!
    It was deelish Jim. The wing on the backside is missing LOL, wife & I pulled that off and ate it up before the bird made it inside.
    Had the legs/thighs & other wing for dinner....have the breasts leftover, wife is going to use them in a smoky chicken-chowder type soup.

And she made chicken stock with the carcass and bones....damn now that's tasty, so much better than "regular" chicken stock because the smoky/BBQ flavors get simmered into the stock as well. It makes for a killer soup.

First run at beef ribs on a beautiful Easter Sunday image
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    First run at beef ribs on a beautiful Easter Sunday image
    Damn Rich when can I be over......?
    Always welcome Jim. You bring the cigars and I'll bring the beer and barbecue.
    Been buying whole boneless pork loins at Costco for a while now....pretty good deal usually around $2.25/lb and loins average between 7-12 lbs.
    Will butcher them up at home, cut into a dozen+ chops & a keep a couple larger pieces to cook as loins.

No pics....but some of the above thick-cut pork chops on the grill last night.
    Patted them down with a little bit of Meathead's Memphis Dust rub.....grilled over hot coals for about 3 min each side to sear then moved to indirect heat for another 15-ish minutes.
    Served the chops with a side of green beans in a balsamic-garlic sauce the wife whipped up....

Made for a pretty good meal.