Home General Discussion

vitola, favs and least liked.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was thinking about this the other day.
I prefer Perfectos, Robustos, Rothschild and coronas.
Torps and Toros I don't mind, but not my first choice.
While I will smoke a Lancero, I rarely ever buy them. They have to be a special cigar, like Partagas 150/160 or an L40.

There is one vitola that as much as I try, I just don't care for at all. The Salomon.
For what ever reason, I just don't like the size, which is weird, because I like perfectos and you would think that they wouldn't be too different.

So what are your likes and dislikes?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I like robustos. Do like the oliva v lancero. I hate torpedos!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke nothing shorter than this. Lol. Also this will be the punishment smoke, one will have to smoke the entire thing. photo imagejpg1-54.jpg photo imagejpg1-55.jpg
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to not be picky. I would buy anything. Now the vitola could be the difference in whether I buy an item or not.
    After seeing many on here talk about coronas, I tried them and, over time, have really become my preference.
    Gordo is probably my least favorite. I rarely have three hours to smoke a cigar.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Coronas, Corona Gordas, Petit Lanceros, Lanceros and Petit Robustos would probably be my favorites. They usually last anywhere from 40 minutes or so to an hour or more. With the smaller ring gauge ones listed you usually get more flavor and with something like a Petit Robusto, MF Le Bijou 1922 for example, you just jump right into the best part of the cigar. Robustos, Toros and Torpedos are good also but have definitely gravitated towards the smaller ring gauge stuff since jumping back in a couple months ago.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Prefer robusto or smaller ring usually, just feels right and you can fit more in your humi. As an experiment I bought some of my daily smokes in different rings. 5-Vegas Classic, MOW's, Ruination, Virtues, DP Blues etc. ones I was used to smoking. Couple of years ago I just bought corona sizes for everything, last year all robusto's. The bolder ones seem to taste better to me in the larger ring (50) and the milder, like Virtues or Vegas Gold, taste better in a smaller ring (44). Going with that for now, but got some 60's coming, let the fun continue.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Perfecto. Corona grande. Lonsdale. Corona. Traditional Cuban Belicoso. Then just about everything else from smaller to larger. Not a fan in most things over 50.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Corona and lonsdale.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorites....Toro, Robusto and "Shorties".

Least Favorite....Really large ring and really long.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    Favorite - A Toro feels the best in my hands. Least Fav. - Anything above a 58 ring gauge
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i first started enjoying cigars I stuck with toros. I was not paying attention to the cigar and i was smoking to fast so a longer smoke was what I wanted. When I finally learned how to smoke I shifted gears and the robusto became the size I desired. I still have some toro's and a few churchill's in my humidor and I save then for special times. My collection of really good cigars is small and mostly toros, a two hour smoke. My taste may change but for now my favorite is the robusto. As far as ring size I prefer 46--52. I think that the 46--52 range will give me the flavor I seek and the length of time to savor that flavor. I do have some 44's and some 54's and up in my stash and i save them like the toros and churchill's for a special time. This is a good thread.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Robusto and toro under 52 first choice

Corona nice when time is a limiting factor
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer a nice robusto .wasn't a big fan of the boxed press at first but have grown to like them.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to say that currently a robusto would be my go to. I used to prefer Churchill but had one last night I remember actually thinking to myself that I wish I would have grabbed a smaller one. Don't get me wrong, I still nubbed it. My least would be anything over a 54 except a nub or the VSG Enchantment.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Fave is a minuto which is about 4.3x42 I think. I also love mareva 5.5x40, robusto, pyramide, and I love me a good double corona from the island.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I'm gravitating more to the coronas and smaller robustos these days. I have always liked torps and perfectos and will smoke those in larger rings. I have been avoiding anything above a 55 most days.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This question made me realize that I actually don't have a preference. I smoke almost all vitolas randomly and don't have any that I won't try. 50 RG is a good size. Length? From Churchill to robusto is good for me but I say this only because you asked me to express a preference. I'll smoke almost anything. Maybe not the egg or the football or the log LOL. But among normal cigars I'll try anything I come across. I bid on a box of Olivas and won them cheap. They are super long. 8" x 52. Maybe thats why i got them at such a great price. Maybe It's because "ain't nobody got time for that!" I havent got them in yet. I'll let you know how it goes when they get here.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I looooove the new H.Upmann 1844 Reserve corona. It's like a spiced meat rubbed with black pepper that really pops in that particular vitola.

Another that comes to mind is the Fuente Hemmingway Best Seller double. Great, heaping tastes of Cameroon goodness that only a perfecto size can provide as it opens up.

I don't like gordos usually because of how uncomfortable they are in the hand and between the teeth. Usually big cigars are unappealing to me. Somebody likes them though, the big guys always fly off the shelves at the B&M. . . Size queens.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ugggg uppman IMO is cra
    Money can't buy taste
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I will smoke any size, I usually buy Toros. I guess I prefer perfectos and figurados, and like Churchills pretty well.

I don't like to smoke anything 60 gauge, unless that's the measurement of the middle of the figurado, etc. Thus, I consider cigars like the NUB to be a waste of really good tobacco, but that's just for me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Too new to be loyal to one size myself. I do lean towards 54+ though. My reasoning is I come from a different smoke scene lol. The theory is that a larger guage cools the smoke and promotes the true flavors to appear. The heat from smaller causes a distortion in the flavor that can be mistaken for pepper. That being said I had a tiny bahia that was delicious and was mostly wrapper flavored. So I suppose I should try others. Havent had a nub yet but I sure am tempted.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Ugggg uppman IMO is cra

Did you mean 'cra' like "cray- cray" i.e. good. Or did you mean to say crap?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    Too new to be loyal to one size myself. I do lean towards 54+ though. My reasoning is I come from a different smoke scene lol. The theory is that a larger guage cools the smoke and promotes the true flavors to appear. The heat from smaller causes a distortion in the flavor that can be mistaken for pepper. That being said I had a tiny bahia that was delicious and was mostly wrapper flavored. So I suppose I should try others. Havent had a nub yet but I sure am tempted.
    Is that the little Bahia Matanzas I sent you?
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Eulogy:
    wahooschock:
    Indeed it was great. Surprised me. Then I saw the price tag lol couldnt stop thanking you.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    Eulogy:
    wahooschock:
    Indeed it was great. Surprised me. Then I saw the price tag lol couldnt stop thanking you.
    Those are surprisingly good, aren't they?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to find them on sale, but they are a solid cigar.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robusto, perfecto, corona, nothing above 50, not a huge fan of lancero unless it's a rare smoke.
    I hate solomones since I never have the time to smoke one!
    Money can't buy taste
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:

Don't you fish? Isn't that the perfect time for those big boys?
    allsmokedup:
    Lee.mcglynn:

Don't you fish? Isn't that the perfect time for those big boys?
    i actually don't smoke when I fish...I have no time and have had cigars cut the line with a fish on lol so no more to that
    Money can't buy taste
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Wow, how did that happen! Burned right thru?