Home Non Cigar Related

Let's Talk Barbeque

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    After almost 3 hours... About 1/2 way there photo F297AC95-90B8-4BBC-BC7E-A69009D16B67.jpg
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Going to do 2 racks of St. Louis ribs on the smoker today, going to try not doing 3-2-1 since last time I lost a lot of the seasoning and bark and the ribs turned to pulled pork... Pics to follow :)

Looking good Vinny. Keep us posted. I have been getting away from the 3-2-1 method myself. I like them with a little bit of bite/bark and the 3-2-1 seems to come out too soft and greasy for me. Did a 3-1-1 last time and was still a little weak.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Finished product. Tasted great, just enough resistance when biting and quite moist. These were done at 225-245(those who smoke with propane know how fun temp control is) for a little over 6 hrs. I mopped with 1/3 sweet baby rays, 1/3 apple cider vinegar and 1/3 apple cider every 15 minutes for the last hour. Came out wonderful. I'll mop more frequently next time.photo FD56FFDE-1AE7-4847-AA4B-EE1293715C39.jpg photo B2B08F3D-BAD2-41C1-AB46-75F5068065EB.jpg photo 0861EDB0-CA7F-4925-9015-4F684CDC9198.jpg
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Those look delicious. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can fire up my egg and do some ribs or a brisket
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's starting to get warm on a regular basis so this should consistently remain on page 1.

To get it restarted, ribs and pork butt done on the Traeger (best investment I've ever made people)........................

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking damn good!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally upgraded and added the side fire box...what a difference it makes! 
    14 lbs of pork shoulder turned out great for my first cook of the season.

Got a couple more "mods" planned that I need to get installed in the next week and a half; before our big BBQ party memorial day weekend.

Upgraded Smoker (still a work in progress):

14 lbs of pork butt going on.  Dry brined for about 36 hours, then coated with a little olive oil and rubbed on a liberal amount of Meathead's Memphis Dust.

After about 12 hours @ 225F, the internal temp was right at 200, I did the old "stick a fork in it test" and it moved like butter.  Ready to come off.

Close-up, just look at that bark! YUM!

Wow, so juicy and tender.  And look at that pink from the smoke.  Mmm mouth watering goodness.

Can see the smoke ring a little better here:

Pulled it apart after letting it cool for a little bit, but it was still pretty hot! Ouch!
    Pictured is only about 1/4 of what we ended up with. 

Mmm, sammich.
    Ate about half of it in the first week, either on sandwiches or with baked beans. 
    Wife took the other half and made it into casseroles for some easy, weeknight, delicious leftovers.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Just a head's up for any of you charcoal guys out there.....

Lowes and Home Dump-o have twin-18 lb packs of charcoal on sale 50% off tomorrow through the weekend. 

Sale price is just under $10 for almost 40 lbs of charcoal. 
    The ads say Lowe's has a 2/customer limit (they didn't enforce it at my local store last year) and HD has a 5/customer limit. 

I'll be stocking up.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    jgibv said:

ENOUGH of this hardcore porkography!
    Finished up my smoker upgrades this past week.....man what a difference it makes!!
    Did another 12 hour cook of pulled pork this weekend and used less than half the amount of charcoal that it took last time around 
    This thing just leaked smoke & heat like nobody's business before.

• Added a metal z-channel between the lid and cooking chamber and installed some oven-gasket rope-type material to get a good seal around the lid.
    • Caulked all the gaps with high temp RTV silicon.
    • Extended the chimney down to grate level to help keep the smoke & heat in the cooking chamber.
    • Upgraded to 10-in pneumatic tires for easier maneuverability.  There were only 2 cheap-o plastic wheels on the heavy, firebox end before and it was a **** to move around. 
    • Added 2 new thermometers at grate level
    • New wood for the side table
    • And most important of all, bolted a bottle opener to the grill so I don't have to go inside and hunt one down every time I grill LOL

Just over 18 lbs (about 9 lbs/each) of bone-in pork shoulder.
    Tied up with kitchen twine to try and get an even diameter across each cut.
    Brined for about 36 hours with coarse salt and left in the fridge uncovered.

Right before I put it on the Q at 630 AM I covered with a little vegetable oil and rubbed with a generous amount of BBQ rub

Lookin' good; only a couple hours to go.
    Used a combo of cherry & pecan woods, (along with charcoal as the main fuel source.)

When the internal temp hit 195,  I did the old "stick a fork in it" method and it twisted with ease.
    Time to take 'em off!
    Total cook time was just about 12.5 hrs. 

Let 'em rest for 30 minutes or so and pull 'em apart.  MMM SO TASTY!!!!
    I burnt the **** out of my fingertips pulling them apart though, I don't like using forks/tongs/etc. because it takes too long and can't get a good grip on the small handles.
    I need to invest in some bear paws to pull it apart in the future (look it up on amazon).

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    MORE PORKOGRAPHY!

But seriously, it looks like you don't parboil at all? I realize that these are huge hunksa meat, but I thought it was a given you were supposed to parboil pork because cooking wouldn't necessarily kill of any trichinoses in there? Well, obviously, you're still alive to tell the tale so it must be okay. 

You also said you add a barbecue rub--but do you use barbecue sauce during the process at all and if so when do you slather it on? When I'm doing ribs I usually slow cook for a couple hours (I don't have the patience or the right equipment for a real slow cook), starting with a rub and then marinating with olive oil and herbs every 20 minutes or so and then add the barbecue sauce only in the last half hour to keep it from getting bitter. But I'm certainly not expert on the matter.  
    raisindot said:
    MORE PORKOGRAPHY!

But seriously, it looks like you don't parboil at all? I realize that these are huge hunksa meat, but I thought it was a given you were supposed to parboil pork because cooking wouldn't necessarily kill of any trichinoses in there? Well, obviously, you're still alive to tell the tale so it must be okay. 

You also said you add a barbecue rub--but do you use barbecue sauce during the process at all and if so when do you slather it on? When I'm doing ribs I usually slow cook for a couple hours (I don't have the patience or the right equipment for a real slow cook), starting with a rub and then marinating with olive oil and herbs every 20 minutes or so and then add the barbecue sauce only in the last half hour to keep it from getting bitter. But I'm certainly not expert on the matter.  
    Nope, I don't parboil, and (no offense) have never seen a BBQ recipe that calls for it.  (Heck, I've never parboiled any hunk of meat FWIW.) 
    Keeping the smoker at 225 F or above is the key to safe low & slow cooking.
    The internal temp will rise fast enough that the meat gets out of the "danger zone" before anything bad can develop.
    I've never worried about getting sick before, and have never had a problem.

Adding wet BBQ sauce while cooking is definitely a matter of personal preference.....there's no right answer IMO. 

But since you asked, I generally do not add wet sauce while cooking.
    On the rare occasion I do, it's for ribs or chicken wings. But I don't do it all the time with them; just depends on what mood I'm in. 

(It's been a while since I've done ribs) but I'll usually baste for only the final 30 minutes or so.   And chicken wings I'll baste every 5 minutes or so throughout the cook.

Most every other meat -- no I don't apply anything while cooking.
    I'll either do a wet marinade and let it sit 12-24 hours before cooking, or a dry rub right before it gets cooked. 

And with regards to ribs .... I'm no expert either.
    They are tough to do & I really don't do them very often. Just because of the price $$ and you don't get much meat from 'em. 
    I love eating them but they're a "rare" treat at home....

(I think I've shared this site before) but check out this link: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/
    Scroll down a little bit and check out the recipes under the "Ribs" category; if you need ideas, or want to look at different technique there's a ton of info there. 
    I use that site as a starting point for almost all of my cooks.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    MORE PORKOGRAPHY!

Just my $.02 here... I don't do butts because there's just my child bride and I but I have had fantastic success using various rib techniques espoused by Meathead Goldwyn at Amazingribs.com. I recommend him highly...... 
    jlmarta said:

I have had fantastic success using various rib techniques espoused by Meathead Goldwyn at Amazingribs.com. I recommend him highly...... 
    Agree with you 100% on that Marty!
    Loads of information on his site, I use his recipes as a starting point for almost all of my Q!

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at your photos and my mouth waters and my stomach rumbles. I have not had good BBQ since I have been in TN. Let me clarify. That probably sounds really bad but I have never been to a BBQ joint.

Every one in this family has a big fancy grill, and their own recipe. It is all bad. Dried out, bland, overcooked or undercooked. They lift the cover every 5 minutes to look and that can't be good. Burnt to a crisp and they talk about the crust.

I will remedy the situation soon. One can not live in TN without eating good BBQ.
    jd50ae said:
    I look at your photos and my mouth waters and my stomach rumbles. I have not had good BBQ since I have been in TN. Let me clarify. That probably sounds really bad but I have never been to a BBQ joint.

Every one in this family has a big fancy grill, and their own recipe. It is all bad. Dried out, bland, overcooked or undercooked. They lift the cover every 5 minutes to look and that can't be good. Burnt to a crisp and they talk about the crust.

I will remedy the situation soon. One can not live in TN without eating good BBQ.
    Thanks JD.
    BBQ's easy enough to do .... but hard to do correctly IMO.
    Definitely takes practice & patience ... and I've had my share of "stumbles" along the way. 

"Opening the grill every 5 minutes to look"

UGG!!!!  That's the worse! 
    For the 12+ hr cook this past weekend, I only opened the main lid twice. 
    Once halfway through to move the meat around, and once at the very end when to "stick a fork in it" and test for doneness

Having the side firebox helps immensely; I can open the lid on just the firebox to add more coals/stoke the fire without losing all the heat in the cooking chamber, helps keep the temp even. 

And not sure if you're near any of these locations ---- http://www.jimnnicks.com/locations/ ---- but we stopped at 1 traveling through TN earlier this year. 
    They do up some GREAT BBQ. 

Wife & I killed a rack of ribs and a couple sides for lunch, and we weren't even that hungry LOL.
    Could make a trip back just to get some more of their food.  Good stuff.

Some ribs and Atomic Buffalo Turds

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only made the Atomic Buffalo Turds once; they were so good that there was no keeping up with demand...  everybody wanted more and more.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Love them.  Had some fresh jalapenos from the garden, so a good way to put them to use
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turds are the best.  I make them frequently for family gatherings.  I made 100 of them and they where home in 10 minutes. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Smoked chicken and buffalo tirds tonight.  So delicious. 

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Tomorrow I am doing some spare ribs and a pork butt.  Does anybody here inject their butts before smoking?  I normally dont but have been thinking about doing something different this time around.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't injected butts but I have heard Apple juice works wonders. Maybe with a little Apple cider vinegar. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

I was thinking apple juice,  brown sugar,  worteschire, and water would be good. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody here inject their butts before smoking?  
    I would think this would ruin the cigar experience for me, but to each his own I guess.   :o  LOL. Sorry, the juvenile in me could not resist...  Carry on. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    Well butt is on the smoker.  I did a little injection on this but I didn't use a lot. I'm going to try a finishing spice today as well.  Ribs are going on later today. 

Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got some random questions for smoking pork shoulder. I’m a novice, but my family is into smokin big time. I want my own style, so I only ask them the basic stuff. I’m curious about some of the things I’ve read.

@Patrickbrick I need some schooling on technique!

Looking for anyones thoughts on the following for smoking pork butt, or just your two cents/experience:

• Wrapping. Mainly yes/no and at what hour marker.
    • Letting the rub sit/rest prior to smoking
    • What’s your medium for slather. Ex. Mustard/olive oil
    • Higher temp and less time OR lower temp and more time
    • charcoal or chunks, and what pattern do you set them in. Just an even pile, donut, snake etc

What I’ve got: two 7lb butts, Weber Smokey Mtn, Kingsford comp charcoal, applewood chunks

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an offset smoker with wood coals so pattern doesn’t matter. For pork I like to use mustard. I don’t let it rest. Once it’s rubbed it’s ready to go on. As far as temp and time I’ve found it depends on what kind of bark you want to form with pork. After about three hours it’s not going to absorb any more smoke. At a lower temp it can permeate deeper but your bark that forms won’t be as heavy. It’s the opposite with higher heat and shorter time. You can form a denser bark but the smoke won’t permeate as deeply. Just what I’ve learned from trial and error.

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also use mustard and rub it but let it sit in the fridge over night. Smoke at 225 and wrap it after 3 hours and let it go until reaches 200 then put in a cooler until ready to eat.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also use mustard. I smoke with lump charcoal and wood chunks. I prefer a low temp smoke for longer. 225 is my target. I wrap at the stall which usually happens around 160-165. Take it to 200 and then place in an empty cooler for an hour. I use the oven instead of the cooler so I dont mess up a cooler.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter