Home Pipes
Options

Pipe rests

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I don't smoke my pipes all that often... but when I do I usually find myself searching for  safe place to set them down If I need both hands and don't feel like drooling down my pipe stem lol ;) Anyone here make pipe rests or know someone who does?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this idea from my BnM...  they have a couple cases full of pipes, and many of them sit on the leather pipe rests they sell.  The rests are nothing more than a thick piece of leather, a strap about 1.25" by 8 or 9 inches that's doubled over and riveted together.  Looked at from above it looks similar to a teardrop.

I've made a couple out of some flexible plastic, and they work well...  not display-worthy like a nice wooden creation, but they do work.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Hmmmmm Ive seen those before. It seems like a really simple idea and something that I could do with some practice. Was hoping someone here has done that before. I like supporting my BOTL here than going elsewhere when I can.
  • Options
    Well I think I might take up making pipe rests as a hobby. Was looking into leather stamping and whatnot... looks like a fun craft. Just a have to come up with the money to get all the supplies I need....
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I plan on making a couple of beanbag rest prototypes this weekend ;)
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be like me, who waits 'til I have every conceivable tool/gadget before starting a project...  you can make a few basic rests as prototypes, and build from there.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    That's what im planning.... I can get some basic stuff for maybe $50-$75. I found a local leather working place that im gonna hit up.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cut an old, broken leather belt and used electrical tape to make a pipe rest. Functional, but not beautiful. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    Here's my two.

"Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • Options
    For the first one in back, I cut up an old, broken belt and used some electrical tape to make a pipe rest, consider it a proof of concept.    I then came across a woman in Guernville at a swap meet selling leather goods and had her make me the front one.

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea very cool!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    For the first one in back, I cut up an old, broken belt and used some electrical tape to make a pipe rest, consider it a proof of concept.    I then came across a woman in Guernville at a swap meet selling leather goods and had her make me the front one.

I like it, simple and effective! I'm gonna try making one with pop rivets to replace the bag of rice I'm using in the  shop!  
  • Options
    You can buy something like this with a key ring on it, as hip as you like it, or just make one.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the plastic rest at our local thrift store for 25 cents. I made the wood rest. imageimage
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the coolest pipe rests I have seen. Well built.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go fancy. Use @Yakster’s belt concept, punch a hole in it & fasten with thrift store cufflinks, nut & bolt, or similar..

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this on Amazon. No more pipe tipping over. Folds down flat too

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

They work well, I have one folded in my pipe kit.