Home Pipes

Pipe rests

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I don't smoke my pipes all that often... but when I do I usually find myself searching for  safe place to set them down If I need both hands and don't feel like drooling down my pipe stem lol ;) Anyone here make pipe rests or know someone who does?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this idea from my BnM...  they have a couple cases full of pipes, and many of them sit on the leather pipe rests they sell.  The rests are nothing more than a thick piece of leather, a strap about 1.25" by 8 or 9 inches that's doubled over and riveted together.  Looked at from above it looks similar to a teardrop.

I've made a couple out of some flexible plastic, and they work well...  not display-worthy like a nice wooden creation, but they do work.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm Ive seen those before. It seems like a really simple idea and something that I could do with some practice. Was hoping someone here has done that before. I like supporting my BOTL here than going elsewhere when I can.
    Well I think I might take up making pipe rests as a hobby. Was looking into leather stamping and whatnot... looks like a fun craft. Just a have to come up with the money to get all the supplies I need....
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I plan on making a couple of beanbag rest prototypes this weekend ;)
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be like me, who waits 'til I have every conceivable tool/gadget before starting a project...  you can make a few basic rests as prototypes, and build from there.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    That's what im planning.... I can get some basic stuff for maybe $50-$75. I found a local leather working place that im gonna hit up.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cut an old, broken leather belt and used electrical tape to make a pipe rest. Functional, but not beautiful. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    Here's my two.

"Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
    For the first one in back, I cut up an old, broken belt and used some electrical tape to make a pipe rest, consider it a proof of concept.    I then came across a woman in Guernville at a swap meet selling leather goods and had her make me the front one.

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea very cool!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    For the first one in back, I cut up an old, broken belt and used some electrical tape to make a pipe rest, consider it a proof of concept.    I then came across a woman in Guernville at a swap meet selling leather goods and had her make me the front one.

I like it, simple and effective! I'm gonna try making one with pop rivets to replace the bag of rice I'm using in the  shop!  
    You can buy something like this with a key ring on it, as hip as you like it, or just make one.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the plastic rest at our local thrift store for 25 cents. I made the wood rest. imageimage
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the coolest pipe rests I have seen. Well built.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go fancy. Use @Yakster’s belt concept, punch a hole in it & fasten with thrift store cufflinks, nut & bolt, or similar..

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this on Amazon. No more pipe tipping over. Folds down flat too

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

They work well, I have one folded in my pipe kit.