Home Non Cigar Related

Who Brews on the Forum?

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
Better half and I do. Started a couple 2 gallon batches of adult beverages (an American ale and a pear cider), as well as put some veggies in the fermentation jar for an Italian raw ferment (think antipasto). 

Anyone else on the forums brew and or ferment?

Blackberry wine is next; did a stellar blueberry last autumn (4 rackings) which ended at 18%, and incredibly smooth. The wine took 4 months versus 4 weeks for the beer (ale is fast, only 2 weeks for brewing, 2 weeks for bottle finishing).

All this typing is making me thirsty...

-Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I have a fair bit of gear now, and prefer the smaller 2-3 gallon batches. 

Nothing like having 6 gallons of the same beer to polish off, lol.

While this sounds like a recipe for a party, I am far too taciturn and old to hold a beer bash :)
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    I am a little surprised, what with the number of people on the forum who garden, that more folk don't turn their fruit into alcohol or ferment pickles, etc.

Is it still illegal in some states? Admittedly I have no idea. I do know that dry counties still exist...

Or is it that it is easier to buy it all from the store?

Just curious...

-Jay

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried home brewing once and it was absolutely terrible. Kind of killed if for me to try again.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always interested me, and it seems like it could be really cool. I don't have the time for it now though.  

I prefer whisk(e)y more, and I can't see getting good at homebrewing that!  I'm not into wine at all, and beer is fine, so... fermented veggies sounds interesting.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to dabble a little in it but now I spend more time around the smoker and grills drinking beer so I dont have the time to make my own.  Plus there are so many greats beers for purchase already that I will stick to good meat!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I brewed beer for a few years, once using extract, and then partial mash - never went to all grain.  From the very first batch onward, the beer was excellent.  But I got tired of the work it takes, not only to brew, but to clean/sanitize, and especially the bottling.

I plan to get back into it some day, with a conical fermenter and an all-grain setup.  If I do, it'll definitely be with a kegging setup - screw them bottles.

My problem, if you want to call it that, is I don't drink every day, maybe 4-5 days in a week, and typically only have one or two.  And those one or two drinks might be hard stuff, so buying beer is simpler than making it.  I think brewing is a bit cheaper than buying, and you get the satisfaction sitting back with a good beer and saying, "I made that" but that still isn't worth the time/effort for me.

Now, I have a customer coming over this afternoon who has gotten very good with his still.  Last time he left me with a pint of some apricot brandy he made.  That has piqued me interest too.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

hey @ExpendableYouth

there are a ton of simple kits out there; mr beer gets a bad rap, but makes a good inexpensive kit. It is not a grain sparging kit by any stretch of the imagination, but they are good. They tend to go on sale at Target, keep your eyes out for them if you want to give it a try again. They typically have all the accouterments with them.

@peter4jc the no rinse method really helps w/ cutting down on the sanitizing time. 

@avengethis

There are gone great beers out there for sure! What are you drinking as of late?

-Jay
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the mister beer kit. I had to throw it all out it was so bad.
    Hmmmmmmmm...sounds like an infected batch
    edited July 2015
    I am a little worried about the pear cider as I have seen no Krausen yet. The ale is rocking and rolling. 

@avengethis

Have you ever used yeast nutrient? Can I spike my cider w/ a dose?

-Jay
    Did a little research and the cider is fine. Just not gonna high krausen like the ale. 

-Jay
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never used yeast nutrient. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Cool, thx man
    The cider is now bubbling, it seems it just got off to a slow start.

Interesting, as the yeast packet was 2x the size of a normal one (11.5 gram vs a 5 gram). 
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I brew a few times a year. Maybe 30 gallons a year or so. 
    @kuzi16

Are you doing an Oktoberfest? Am I too late to start one?

-Jay
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I brew in the colder months.  Have 3 batches still in kegs I am working through and some bottled.  
    jarubla said:
    @kuzi16

Are you doing an Oktoberfest? Am I too late to start one?

-Jay
    nope... im not doing one.
    however, it isnt too late to do a fall beer especially if it is actually an ale. from brew day to opening the first bottle can be as little as 6 weeks depending on what you are doing to it.
    one week in the primay, one week in the secondary, two weeks to carbonate in a bottle.
    however i generally like the secondary to be a bit longer so i can age it over things.
    edited August 2015
    I haven't yet lagered, don't know if I will (who knows, TBH). 

I suppose my question was more geared to "will I be mucking up anything (tradition wise)f it doesn't have 4 months rest."

I bottle finish my beer (kegs are a no-no here), and stuff stores very well in the basement.

Thx for your feedback! Good to know it ain't too late!

-Jay
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Oktoberfest you should be fine.  Aging is needed with big beers such as barleywine or anything with spices such as a holiday beer.  I have a chocolate coffee stout on tap which took a few months to mellow out and keeps getting better.  They usually get better with some rest, but bottling you can drink some and let them age as you work through it
    edited August 2015
    Tradition be damned.  Brew what you want when you want it with no restrictions to "keeping in style"
    Do you like the final product?
    Yes?
    Good. That means you are brewing correctly. 

Kuzi, thank you for your post. Good commentary!

Tangential comment, but I appreciate that you aren't as hung-ho about everything etiquette as your sticky might lead one to believe.

Bottom line; know the rules, but be flexible and do your thing.

Until it borks a 6 gallon batch of apfelwein(been there, done that, lol).

-Jay
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the thread is over a year old but I thought I'd bump this here. All-grain homebrewer and recent cigar smoker. I just kicked the keg of my bourbon barrel aged porter and its a shame as it paired very nicely with a cigar:)

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to brew a lot but there are so damn many good breweries in my town that I like to support so I haven't for a while.  Might pick it up again this winter. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I got to taste the first fruits of my labor in the form of an extract batch of Amber and a partial grain Hefeweizen. I am very happy with the result on both of them, but that hefe taste better than any hefe I've ever purchased. Now I have to get these kegs empty so I can play around some more. I can see this being very addicting.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds great, looking forward to some homebrew at the next Reno herf. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goat head stout?
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Wylaff said:
    Today I got to taste the first fruits of my labor in the form of an extract batch of Amber and a partial grain Hefeweizen. I am very happy with the result on both of them, but that hefe taste better than any hefe I've ever purchased. Now I have to get these kegs empty so I can play around some more. I can see this being very addicting.
    For me, it's not as bad as CAS, but it's getting close. I brew all grain and I usually brew something every 2 weeks. When I run out of empty kegs I have some friends over to help drain them.

Roland
    This Christmas Day I'm doing a Russian Imperial Stout that will be barrel aged until next Christmas. It's a fun way to spend a few hours with the family as we make next years Holiday beer.

Roland