THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome and be safe my friend
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    fire78n88:
    Hello, I, too am from Michigan! I currently live in the lovely city of Baghdad, Iraq where I work as a firefighter in support of our military. I've been in this scenic part of the world for 15 months now, and I'm ready to get back home! I have always smoked cigars, but am new to the variety of excellent smokes that abound. I look forward to learning more about my newfound hobby around here!
    Hey fire.. nice to have you here, and thanks for taking care of the people there. Any idea when you will be coming home ?
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Welcome guys, lots to learn here from a great group of guys. For those of you from Mich. Thank goodness we can still smoke inside....for now. We got a thread trying to get a herf together with our BOTL from Ohio, be sure to check that out and get involved with some of the games, trades, passes, & bomb's. They really make this forum really fun!
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    Hello All

I'm Cooper and I'm from Louisiana.  I was introduced to cigars on the golf course about a year ago, and recently I've gotten a 300 ct humidor and I'm looking to stock it with all sorts of goodies.  I've tried a lot of samplers so far, and not smoked anything really top shelf.  I'd have to say my favorites so far have been Indian Tabac Maduros(though not the box pressed ones), and Man O'War.  Rocky, Vegas 5, and CAO also have yet to disappoint me. My biggest disappointment is probably that I haven't had a Ghurka that really did it for me yet.  I tend to trend toward smokes that are medium to medium full I think, but I'm open to all suggestions.

My dream cigars: God of Fire and Opus X.  My palette isn't real refined yet, but I'd really like to get some of these and let them age for a year or two. 

My weakness is that I don't have much patience, so I'm anticipating letting my cigars age will be a real challenge.  I also don't drink alcohol so I'll probably never experience the perfect smoke :P.  This is my second attempt at growing a collection, I had about 100 cigars get mold all over them a couple of months ago whiping out my humidor. 

Coop
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Cooper33:
    Hello All

I'm Cooper and I'm from Louisiana.  I was introduced to cigars on the golf course about a year ago, and recently I've gotten a 300 ct humidor and I'm looking to stock it with all sorts of goodies.  I've tried a lot of samplers so far, and not smoked anything really top shelf.  I'd have to say my favorites so far have been Indian Tabac Maduros(though not the box pressed ones), and Man O'War.  Rocky, Vegas 5, and CAO also have yet to disappoint me. My biggest disappointment is probably that I haven't had a Ghurka that really did it for me yet.  I tend to trend toward smokes that are medium to medium full I think, but I'm open to all suggestions.

My dream cigars: God of Fire and Opus X.  My palette isn't real refined yet, but I'd really like to get some of these and let them age for a year or two. 

My weakness is that I don't have much patience, so I'm anticipating letting my cigars age will be a real challenge.  I also don't drink alcohol so I'll probably never experience the perfect smoke :P.  This is my second attempt at growing a collection, I had about 100 cigars get mold all over them a couple of months ago whiping out my humidor. 

Coop
    Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about the mold problem, but it's good to see you've gotten back on the horse! I wouldn't say the perfect smoke comes with alcohol on the side. I've had several wonderful smokes with just a glass of water. Sometimes a beer or spirit can overpower the cigar, so you end up missing out on something. Oh, and don't be disappointed about Ghurka. I've never had one that I liked either.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Cooper33:
    Hello All

Coop

Sorry bout the Gurkhas... but welcome.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Hi Joe, Im a Newbie, I got turned on to this site by a fellow memember Brandon an old friend I have known from my old Ohio Days. I now Live In Folsom California. I have been puffin Cigars off and on since I was a kid. I recently got married and my WIfe loves the aroma of a good Cigar, her grandfather was a counisour and she gave me a very nice old Antique Humidor and some cigars. I am used to just going to the Cigar Store and walking in the Humidor and getting a feel and buying what looks nice and im pretty damn good at picking good smokes but I am more interested in trying a variety and finding those I REALLY love. Any Help from this Forum would be Greatly Accepted. Thanks
  • Options
    Welcome Redtail.

• Options
    Welcome Redtail, and Cooper. Nice to have you both here.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Hi Joe, Im a Newbie, I got turned on to this site by a fellow memember Brandon an old friend I have known from my old Ohio Days. I now Live In Folsom California. I have been puffin Cigars off and on since I was a kid. I recently got married and my WIfe loves the aroma of a good Cigar, her grandfather was a counisour and she gave me a very nice old Antique Humidor and some cigars. I am used to just going to the Cigar Store and walking in the Humidor and getting a feel and buying what looks nice and im pretty damn good at picking good smokes but I am more interested in trying a variety and finding those I REALLY love. Any Help from this Forum would be Greatly Accepted. Thanks
    Welcome aboard Ozzie. Glad you stopped in. There are some awesome folks here and a lot of information to be learned from those with great experience. There are some intricacies of posting on the board with line breaks and such. Another member posted this thread to help us out with that. There are also some etiquette to follow (ei. not post about other online retailers on this board) Check out this thread to learn about etiquette for trading.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard everyone, glad you're here!
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Cooper33:
    My weakness is that I don't have much patience, so I'm anticipating letting my cigars age will be a real challenge.
    There's an easy solution to that. Take advantage of the great daily deals and other specials on ccom and build up your stock... which means get a big humi, too. I now have enough backlog built up that I have lots of sticks that have been in there a year or more. And every so often while rotating stuff between the cooler and humi I find some gems tucked away that I forgot I had.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    Cooper33:
    My weakness is that I don't have much patience, so I'm anticipating letting my cigars age will be a real challenge.
    There's an easy solution to that. Take advantage of the great daily deals and other specials on ccom and build up your stock... which means get a big humi, too. .

Great advice.  My plan is to buy samplers and daily deals until i really narrow down what I like, but that requires smoking at least one right off.  So last night I grabbed 3 of the deal of the day Ghurka 3 packs.  If all goes to plan I'll smoke one fairly soon, and put the other up to age, and then decide what to do with the third pack.  At some point when I've been part of the community longer I'd like to get involved in the PIF, bombs, and trades etc.

Coop
  • Options
    I have been collecting cigars for a while now and have some with many years on them. I wonder if i am missing something by not smoking them, and at what point they have reached what I would consider their Peak. Some I have actually enjoyed more fresher then when the flavors seemed to meld into one consistent profilr. But they are all good.
  • Options
    welcome to the new guys
  • Options

Hello All!  First I'd like to thank all you for the wealth of information and expertise you provide.  My name is Adam and I'm a new cigar fan.  My previous encounters with cigars were only at the golf course or weddings and I had no clue what i was smoking or doing.  Currently I'm in Iraq and working with two very well informed cigar smokers.  Between them and this site I've learned a ton.  I'm anticipating my two orders from C.C any day now and can't wait to jump right in and experience a new level of cigars.  Thanks again.  Keep up the good work.

• Options
    Welcome Adam.  I'm a newbie myself, but there is a wealth of knowledge here for sure.  I'd highly advise checking out some of the blogs as well.  Until the other night when I read it on the blog I never knew to exhale some smoke out of my nose...before I would have said I had been smoking cigars for about a year, now I'd have to say I've been smoking cigars for 3 days :).

Coop
  • Options
    Hey Adam, welcome. So, what do you have coming your way in those shipments ?
  • Options
    I know you were asking Adam but thought I would share my first ccom purchase as well: Cigar of the Month Club
    SP-CG081219 Robusto Sampler + Xikar Cutter Combo
    SP-CIGTP12 Full Selection Sampler
    SP-CG090820 Perfect Perfecto Sampler
    M-CIO3540 Herf-a-Dor (Large)
    SP-CCOMPRO0910 Free Offer: Gurkha 3-Cigar Sampler
    GD-091205 Gurkha Variety Sampler(2)
  • Options

Thanks for the info on the blogs, I'll check it out ASAP.  I ordered two sampler packs..I figured this is the best way for me to learn my palate.

-Cusano Corojo

-Rocky Patel Vintage 1992

-CAO Gold

-5 Vegas

-Gurkha Regent

-2x Cigar.com Purple Label

-Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Natural

-CAO Gold Robusto Connecticut

-Cohiba Lonsdale

-Gurkha Black Dragon

-Nub Cameroon

-Oliva Serie G Cameroon

-Padron 2000 Maduro

-Perdomo Habano Corojo

-Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

-Tatuaje Havana VI

Thanks again for the welcome.

Adam

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    yosysfire:

Thanks for the info on the blogs, I'll check it out ASAP.  I ordered two sampler packs..I figured this is the best way for me to learn my palate.

-Cusano Corojo

-CAO Gold

-5 Vegas

-Gurkha Regent

-Cohiba Lonsdale

-Gurkha Black Dragon

-Nub Cameroon

-Oliva Serie G Cameroon

-Padron 2000 Maduro

-Perdomo Habano Corojo

-Tatuaje Havana VI

Adam

These n00bs are sure coming out with a BANG!!! Good job guys! (and welcome)
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    yosysfire:

-Cusano Corojo

-CAO Gold

-5 Vegas

-Gurkha Regent

-Cohiba Lonsdale

-Gurkha Black Dragon

-Nub Cameroon

-Oliva Serie G Cameroon

-Padron 2000 Maduro

-Perdomo Habano Corojo

-Tatuaje Havana VI

Adam

Welcome Coop and Adam. Looks like you guys have the right idea trying a bunch of things! Let me know how you like that Tatuaje VI. It's one of my favorite smokes by far.
  • Options
    welcome Coop and Adam ...drop in often ...its a great bunch here ...
  • Options
    rinorino Posts: 1

Hello all....
    Received my first daily deal......5 Vegas Miami from last week. Offcoarse ordered 2 and split it with a buddy.
    Gotta love free shipping.
    Anyway, have not had a stick in 10 years, I was too young and did not appreciate cigars. It is funny how I(us-we) change as we get older and wiser and really appreciate the simple things as my parents and their parents did.
    Thanks to Waldo for my renewed interest in cigars and telling me about cigar.com!
    By the way the Miami ROCKED!!!!
  • Options
    yosysfire:

-Cusano Corojo

-CAO Gold

-5 Vegas

-Gurkha Regent

-Cohiba Lonsdale

-Gurkha Black Dragon

-Nub Cameroon

-Oliva Serie G Cameroon

-Padron 2000 Maduro

-Perdomo Habano Corojo

-Tatuaje Havana VI

Adam

#Wow Adam, that is a list to be proud of. I'd gladly smoke any one of those. They should help you find what you like. And welcome rino, nice to have you back ! Ten years is way to long to be away.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Hey everyone my name is Brett and I am new to the forum. I have been smoking for about a year but did not get serious until my wife bought me a humidor as a wedding present in October. So I have only been head first in it for about 3 months the weapons in my arsenal currently are : Oliva 3 x 2 Cohiba Rocky Patel Decaude x 2 Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic x 2 CAO Brazilia Alec Bradley Tempus x 2 Padilla Miami x 2 Kristoff Sumatra Gurkha Micro Batch x 4
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Welcome Brett... got some cool stuff in your collection there.
    Hang out for a bit and enjoy....
  • Options
    The Cank:
    Hey everyone my name is Brett and I am new to the forum. I have been smoking for about a year but did not get serious until my wife bought me a humidor as a wedding present in October. So I have only been head first in it for about 3 months the weapons in my arsenal currently are : Oliva 3 x 2 Cohiba Rocky Patel Decaude x 2 Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic x 2 CAO Brazilia Alec Bradley Tempus x 2 Padilla Miami x 2 Kristoff Sumatra Gurkha Micro Batch x 4
    Hey Cank, looks like you've got some nice smokes in you humidor. The Decade and Kristoff are two of my favorites, but all very fine. Looks like you are already in the "full" family. Nothing gold for you. Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome new members.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    thanks for the warm welcomes. I now have to figure out why my humi is not holding up to rh. I do believe it is the cold weather. I am gonna get a humidifier that will do up to 100 cigars and call it a day that should keep it steady since my box only holds 25 or so