Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    johnnyv:

kuzi16:
    slow down. bitter smoke is usually caused by smoking fast.

another thought is to have water or milk nearby when you smoke. this will bring the PH in you mouth back down to normal and you will be able to taste better.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll definitely try all of those.  I don't think I was smoking too fast, pretty much taking a draw about once every 60-90 seconds but I'll try the milk and or water.

Besides smoking a stick too fast, drawing too heavily on the stick can also cause hot, harsh, bitter smoke as well.

I used to be BAD for this. Now I've learned to draw lite and long rather then trying to pull a ton of smoke thru the stick everytime I draw on it. This is particularly true when the stick gets down past the halfway point. A Nice long easy draw is better then sucking too hard, trying to draw a good mouthful of smoke.

Changing this little bit, in the method of smoking a stick, has changed the taste and enjoyment levels of every stick I smoke, to the better. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Welcome to all the new guys...it's good to have ya on board!!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ... Dang this place is getting crowded, Group hug for sightunseen, camgfs, johnnyv, bforrester, notveryfar, and phishyphishy.. (that's funny dude !) and all other new people. All are welcome.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kaspera79:
    ... Dang this place is getting crowded, Group hug for sightunseen, camgfs, johnnyv, bforrester, notveryfar, and phishyphishy.. (that's funny dude !) and all other new people. All are welcome.

Welcome tose all youse neweys
  • Options
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

Welcome tose all youse neweys
    Gene is our linguist ! Welcome all

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Looks like you are all a bunch of great BOTL

• Options
    Well I suppose this is introduction forum. I'm 26 years old, a classical clarinetist and oboist (oddly enough my first degree is in saxophone), a video game addict, and a cigar lover for the last 10 years. Since getting my master degree in 2008 and starting out in "the real world" i've actually had a lot more time and money to devote towards cigars. I have a partner of 3 years that has really helped me develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of cigars but I know there is a lot more out there to experience and learn. Right now my humidor is stocked up with a box of Perdomo Habanas Gordos, Punch Gran Puros, Padron 7000s, and a few La Gloria Cubana Serie R 6s. Looking forward to getting involved in the community!
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    musicub:
    Well I suppose this is introduction forum. I'm 26 years old, a classical clarinetist and oboist (oddly enough my first degree is in saxophone), a video game addict, and a cigar lover for the last 10 years. Since getting my master degree in 2008 and starting out in "the real world" i've actually had a lot more time and money to devote towards cigars. I have a partner of 3 years that has really helped me develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of cigars but I know there is a lot more out there to experience and learn. Right now my humidor is stocked up with a box of Perdomo Habanas Gordos, Punch Gran Puros, Padron 7000s, and a few La Gloria Cubana Serie R 6s. Looking forward to getting involved in the community!
    Welcome to the forums! I checked out the music you posted on your website, and you've got some real talent my friend! Hope you enjoy your stay here, you'll definitely learn a lot about the cigar world.
  • Options
    musicub:
    Hey Joe, welcome to the family. I checked out some of your music, very nice. You have a gift and great musical talent. I believe you are the first classical music performer/instructor on these boards. it goes to show the wide diversity of people here with us.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Hey Joe welcome to the boards! Those are some great performances on your site; very enjoyable and the Oboe and Clarinet are my 2 favorite symphonic instruments. I look forward to seeing/hearing more of your performances.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Graeat resume!!! Welcome to the forum..great folks here n at cigar.com
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hey new guys....
  • Options
    welcome to all the new guys and gals ...enjoy " The Family"
  • Options
    I am a 30yo video game addict, movie buff, fanatical about the Dave Matthews Band, and a cigar lover for the last year.

Although I have to admit I am a complete newbie when it comes to cigars. I never ordered anything online before, and the cigar selection in my town is quite limited. So, my lack of knowledge in this world is blatantly obvious at this point. Still, I am more than willing to expand my horizons.

I've been smoking Romeo y Julietas primarily, but I am ready to try other things at this point. If anybody has any words of wisdom for this complete cigar n00b, please let me know. Take care!
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kaworuchan:
    I am a 30yo video game addict, movie buff, fanatical about the Dave Matthews Band, and a cigar lover for the last year. Although I have to admit I am a complete newbie when it comes to cigars. I never ordered anything online before, and the cigar selection in my town is quite limited. So, my lack of knowledge in this world is blatantly obvious at this point. Still, I am more than willing to expand my horizons. I've been smoking Romeo y Julietas primarily, but I am ready to try other things at this point. If anybody has any words of wisdom for this complete cigar n00b, please let me know. Take care!
    You're in the right place. Stick around, get involved in some trades/games. Before you know it, you'll know more than you ever wanted to.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Welcomes lads and lassies if I missed ya, this place is fillin up for the holidays!! It gets warmer with a higher body count, but I don't think this boat can sink!
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

kaspera79:

*sniff*...thanks! My parents never hugged me when I was a kid! *sob*

• Options
    im a 24 years old online gamer and love smokin especially on cold seasons. im new in this forum but im a member of other cigar forum too.
  • Options
    blacklight:
    im a 24 years old online gamer and love smokin especially on cold seasons. im new in this forum but im a member of other cigar forum too.
    Welcome all new members. Glad to have you on board.
  • Options
    welcome newbies
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Welcome all newbies! You'll learn a lot from these guys...I have.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    New People... Whassup...

I'll be in the corner drinking, and staring at all your perty mouths....
    Mouths ripe for some good hand-rolled cigars!
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    InternationalLog:
    kaspera79:
    Hey Thom, welcome..Where do you call home ?
    I'm up in Boston. I was referring to Gloucester Street Cigar Co in my earlier post about actually being walked through someone's humidor. If anybody is in the area, I'd love to enjoy a smoke sometime.
    I'm actually from Newton, MA, and I'm still around from time to time.
  • Options
    Cool more Boston folk up in here. Welcome! you guys ever hang out at Cigar Master on Boylston St?
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Hey Lasabar...I was starting to wonder why you were staring at their mouths... maybe I am still wondering....LOL
  • Options
    Hello from Michigan! My name is Dave and as my username states I am a rookie! I started enjoying cigars this summer at a bonfire and I have been hooked ever since... I just picked up a couple sampler sets and humidor so i am really excited to learn the art form of truly enjoying a top quality smoke. I am sadly still stuck with the parents while I stash that cash and get my own place but they are very anti-smoking so I need to start finding some places to enjoy a good smoke. any advice is welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you guys!
  • Options
    Hey Dave, welcome. Get a dog and take long walks, or start a dog walking business to pay for the hobby. Parents ( and I am one) are just trying to keep you from perceived harm. There are worse things to get into, and they will lighten up. My father still greets me with, "you smell like smoke !" when I go visit. I moved out over twenty years ago. You never said how old you are, under 21 ?
  • Options
    Yes I am only 20 but in 5 1/2 months I will be 21 and can go to a bar or something to smoke... but until then I am stuck with friends houses or outside in this cold weather...
  • Options
    DaveTheRookie09:
    Yes I am only 20 but in 5 1/2 months I will be 21 and can go to a bar or something to smoke... but until then I am stuck with friends houses or outside in this cold weather...
    Yeah, don't rush it dude, time goes faster than I like now. I never smoke in my house, I have a wife. My smoking is mostly in the yard, garage, or truck. No smoking in any buildings here . Not even bars. There are however many smoke shops that do allow it, but sometimes, that's too much smoke for me.
  • Options
    Hello, I, too am from Michigan! I currently live in the lovely city of Baghdad, Iraq where I work as a firefighter in support of our military. I've been in this scenic part of the world for 15 months now, and I'm ready to get back home! I have always smoked cigars, but am new to the variety of excellent smokes that abound. I look forward to learning more about my newfound hobby around here!