Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    InternationalLog:
    Hi, Newbie here. Been around for a little while. Just got my first COTMC order and I've been stoked since. If there wasn't any rain today, I would've cracked it open, but it was pouring, and I couldn't bear it outside...so I went out for a small J Fuego Delirium instead. I'm looking forward to some great times here, and I've already had great interactions with Cigar.com's customer service. It's the closest thing to actually having someone walk you into their humidor and show you around. Cheers, and good smokes! P.S: I wasn't able to login to the forums with Firefox 3 on Apple OS X 10.5. Anyone else experience that? ~Thom
    Welcome!
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241

Greetings and Salutations from the Great White North

Winter is almost here and its soon time to hibernate most of the cigars. I have enjoyed reading the posts on ccom. I figured it was time to get off the lurkers couch and introduce myself.

Dan

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Thom, Dan, Duder...welcome aboard guys. Good to see all these new faces coming in the door.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Welcome all!

May your smokes be as good and your beer be frosty!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome aboard Dan
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Dan and anyone else I might have missed.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    WOW! I was only away for about a week and I have missed a lot on here!

Welcome to all the new members! Enjoy the forum, ask questions and get in on some of the trades/games! But, most importantly, enjoy some great smokes and share your thoughts with everyone here.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Bump for the newbies...
  • Options
    Just another newb introduction. I'm a member of a (very exclusive) gentleman's club where all three of us sit around, smoke pipes and eat animals who's legality is challenged in some countries. I needed a place to store my pipe tobacco, so I bought the 10 cigar with free humidor deal from ccom, buying the box and considering the cigars a bonus. Now I'm hooked on the cigars and what was originally supposed to be a throwaway perk is now costing me hundreds of dollars. I like loud music, spicy food, stupid questions and Connecticut wrapper.
  • Options
    Blackguard:
    Just another newb introduction. I'm a member of a (very exclusive) gentleman's club where all three of us sit around, smoke pipes and eat animals who's legality is challenged in some countries. I needed a place to store my pipe tobacco, so I bought the 10 cigar with free humidor deal from ccom, buying the box and considering the cigars a bonus. Now I'm hooked on the cigars and what was originally supposed to be a throwaway perk is now costing me hundreds of dollars. I like loud music, spicy food, stupid questions and Connecticut wrapper.
    This guy is awesome!! Welcome
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Blackguard:
    ... well blackguard, it sounds like you should fit in here quite nicely.. Welcome.
  • Options
    welcome BG ...
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Blackguard:
    Please Please PLEASE post your comments on the "What's the Strangest thing you've eaten" board!!!
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Hi, all. I'm Scott from Wisconsin. Yes, I'm a Packer Fan and yes, I'm a Badger Fan. I'll try to make this introduction as short as I can but I tend to ramble.... I'm 46 and my first cigar was an Ashton Cabinet Belicoso (I think) given to me at my step-daughter's wedding in June of this year. It was OK, not having any idea what I was doing, etc. Having no cutter, I bit off a small part of the cap which left me spitting for a few minutes. My friend instructed me on a few of the basics but he could only do so much. As the summer went on, I got thinking more and more about the cigar experience, contacted the gentleman who gave me the cigar and he recommended this website. I purchased a an Arturo Fuente determined to 'give it another try'. That day, the wind was blowing quite a bit, smoked it way too fast, not overly-enjoyable. Then I came across these great forums. Found out I was smoking with the wrong technique, etc. I've got a 50 ct. humidor on order(should be here this afternoon) and have a small order just aching to be placed. My wife is supporting my new-found interest. I promised her I wouldn't smoke indoors so I may venture out on the warm 50 degree days and light up a stick. I've put a lot of different suggestions for cigars into my favorites and intend to work my way happily through them. I'm looking for a mild/medium smoke so I'm open to suggestions.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome to all this week's new members.
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Welcome ScottTdawg from one newbie to another! These forums are great, I've put a few old timers to shame as far as smoking technique is concerned just by reading in here and applying what was said. For medium smokes a few I'd recommend are the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 and Royal Vintage. Padilla Habano is great as well. That's just a few off the top of my head.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Sup Scott... welcome. check out the
    5 Vegas Classic,
    5 Vegas Gold,
    Puro Indios Viejo,
    Oliva Serie G,
    Those are the few that I've had that kinda stand out.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

Hi all-

After enjoying cigars on an off for a few years, I decided to really learn about them a few months ago. Thanks to this board, I've picked up a wealth of knowledge and continue to learn new things everyday.

I'm from Seattle and I'll be damned if I'm going to let all this rain stop me from lighting up a stick. My current favorites include 5 Vegas Cask Strength II and Puros Indios Aged Pirmades.

Nice to meet you all.

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum, but not to cigars. I'm an "E-Learning" web developer. I design online training sites and online testing programs for any company who wants to save a few $$$ on their training costs. Working from home gives me ample opportunity to enjoy my favourite cigars. I've been smoking cigars for a long time and never thought about joining a web forum on cigars until recently.

After reading many posts on this forum, it looked friendly enough and I've appreciated many of the comments and suggestions made by the members.

I am looking forward to sharing and learning about cigars and more. Some of my personal faves are: H. Upman Magnum 50 Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, 1990, and Sungrown Cohiba (not just the Dominican ones) JR Ultimate Maduro 5 Vegas Relic Gurkha Centurian and others.
  • Options

I just posted to the "Whatcha smokin' tonight thread" because I've been reading it for the past few days.  Learned quite a bit actually.  I live in Orange County Ca but this summer I was visiting a cousin of mine in West Hampton NY who got me completely hooked.  I came home and made my first purchase from the local cigar store(don't know what B&M means but I see it all the time). 

My faves now are:

Diesel, Man O War Ruination, Camacho Corojo, Oliva Serie O and V, Padilla Miami, San Cristobal, Don Pepin Blue, Padilla 1932, Cain

I just purchased a 5er of the Gurkha Evil to try them out.  If anyone has more FULL suggestions please let me know as I feel like I'm still enjoying experimenting.

My fave Mild and/or Mediums are:

Gurkha Park Avenue, 5 Vegas GOLD, Montecristo, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, RP 1992, Hoya de Monterrey and Excalibur

I could keep going but bottom line is I love cigars and I love to try new ones.  This next week I have some coming in I've never had and they are:

RP Edge Maduro, Gurkha Evil, Hoyo de Tradicion, Carlos Torano Signature, RP Sun Grown, Gran Habano 3 Siglos

• Options
    bforresterbforrester Posts: 16
    Hello all. Been floating around for a while on here, had to post on the whole Canadian big brother thing so i suppose proper introductions are due. Live in beautiful (cant really afford it) Pasadena Ca. Normally I just tell people LA in my too many travels. Been a few years since I would have a cigar on occasion, got a hankering six months ago, bought a couple sticks and here I am. Been leaning towards more full body but still trying as the opportunities come up, can appreciate many for what they are. Have about forty in the humidor now, packed full too. Wondering if I shouldn't just get a cabinet now, cause I know I will be eventually. I welcome the obsession.
  • Options
    Welcome to the new guys. Hope you stay and get involved with the forums. Glad to have you.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hey guys... sup?
  • Options
    welcome aboard to all the newbies
  • Options
    Hello. My name is Craig. I'm 26 and from Kansas. I've been in the military since I was 17 for some crazy reason and been all over the world. I am just getting back in to cigars. I've had a few good cigars in the past but never realized how much I enjoy a good cigar to recently since I've started calming down in my older age. Yeah some of you guys are probably going to say old age ha, only 26 and thats still young but it's old for me since its as old as I've been so far. Now I'm getting an appreciation for the finer things in life, like a nice cigar, a glass of some good scotch or bourbon, and a good women. Well so far I enjoy the site and the community of the forums here. Well I gotta go.
  • Options
    I'm having a real crisis here.  For about 3 days now no matter what I smoke, everything tastes bitter and just isn't right.  I don't have a cold or congested nose, my taste is fine.  I just can't taste cigars that a week ago were great.  Anyone have this happen to them?  My palate is betraying me, what to do?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    slow down. bitter smoke is usually caused by smoking fast.

another thought is to have water or milk nearby when you smoke. this will bring the PH in you mouth back down to normal and you will be able to taste better.
  • Options

kuzi16:
    slow down. bitter smoke is usually caused by smoking fast.

another thought is to have water or milk nearby when you smoke. this will bring the PH in you mouth back down to normal and you will be able to taste better.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll definitely try all of those.  I don't think I was smoking too fast, pretty much taking a draw about once every 60-90 seconds but I'll try the milk and or water.

• Options
    Hello cigar.com forum. I just started getting into cigars recently. I'm a big beer person and I do a decent amount of home brewing. So, I started looking for cigars to compliment the beers, but now I think I'm starting to like the cigars more than the beers. Found this site recently and really liked it's accessibility unlike other sites I looked at. These forums look like a great source of information, and I look forward to gleaning knowledge from all on here. Cheers.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Welcome to all the new guys. Hope you stick around and enjoy our little group here. I can't express how much I have learned from these guys and can assure you will too if you stick around.