Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    Having a San Cristobal Sungrown (I think). I just got back from the B&M, and they had these there. The wrapper is a bit lighter than the normal San Cristobals and they have a foot band that says "Seleccion del Sol", so I am assuming these are using a sun-grown wrapper. Anyone else heard of/seen/had these? So far, it is pretty good, a bit more spicy than the regular San Cristobal (another reason I'm pretty sure its a sun-grown wrapper), but not too overpowering.
    I had one of these a while back and was dissapointed. It wasn't a bad cigar, but just didn't seem to have as much flavor as the regular San Cristobal. I'm a big fan of the origional blend and these just didn't live up to it. The one I've had the new blend of lately that I really like was the La Aroma de Cuba. The new Pepin blend with the red band on the foot is awesome!!!
    Yeah, just finishing it up now. The draw was a bit better on this one, but then again this was a toro whereas the regular I had was a Churchill. I do agree that the flavor isn't quite as plentiful as it is in the regular version, I would definately smoke one of them before this new one. I also got a pretty nasty tar build up on the sun grown about 2/3 of the way in.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    Having a San Cristobal Sungrown (I think). I just got back from the B&M, and they had these there. The wrapper is a bit lighter than the normal San Cristobals and they have a foot band that says "Seleccion del Sol", so I am assuming these are using a sun-grown wrapper. Anyone else heard of/seen/had these? So far, it is pretty good, a bit more spicy than the regular San Cristobal (another reason I'm pretty sure its a sun-grown wrapper), but not too overpowering.
    I had one of these a while back and was dissapointed. It wasn't a bad cigar, but just didn't seem to have as much flavor as the regular San Cristobal. I'm a big fan of the origional blend and these just didn't live up to it. The one I've had the new blend of lately that I really like was the La Aroma de Cuba. The new Pepin blend with the red band on the foot is awesome!!!
    Yeah, just finishing it up now. The draw was a bit better on this one, but then again this was a toro whereas the regular I had was a Churchill. I do agree that the flavor isn't quite as plentiful as it is in the regular version, I would definately smoke one of them before this new one. I also got a pretty nasty tar build up on the sun grown about 2/3 of the way in.
    Oh that sucks. Have you smoked any of the other sticks from that trade besides one of the House Blends and that San Cristobal?
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    Oh that sucks. Have you smoked any of the other sticks from that trade besides one of the House Blends and that San Cristobal?
    Yep, smoked one of the El Truinfidors (sp?) a couple of days ago. I normally don't like Lanceros, but this stick was pretty good. I'd really like to try it in a bigger ring gauge now, or is that the only size it comes in?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    El Triunfador only comes in one size, a lancero. There will, however, be a robusto at some point but it will be an entirely different blend...for that matter, I wonder if it is getting released or not? Hmm....

Tried to find where I had read about it and can't seem to.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    Yep, smoked one of the El Truinfidors (sp?) a couple of days ago. I normally don't like Lanceros, but this stick was pretty good. I'd really like to try it in a bigger ring gauge now, or is that the only size it comes in?
    No it comes in other sizes. I know Maddy had it in the robusto size. I have only had the lancero and have always liked them. They get much better with age too. I know they are coming out with another blend of the El Triunfadors in the next few months with a red band on it. I'm excited to try them. I think they are going to be a more full release than the last blend.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I'm in the search for the perfect bundle/ drive to work pre-relaxation cigar. And so far it's been a terrible ride. Blazed up a Backwoods (I remembered them smelling kinda like pipe tobacco forgot they tasted like Acid) nasty!
    Got to work lit and took 3 puffs of a Magellan Dominican worst Cigar I've ever had!!!! I would rather not smoke...
    I've got to burn something decent to help me forget this trauma.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    I'm in the search for the perfect bundle/ drive to work pre-relaxation cigar. And so far it's been a terrible ride. Blazed up a Backwoods (I remembered them smelling kinda like pipe tobacco forgot they tasted like Acid) nasty!
    Got to work lit and took 3 puffs of a Magellan Dominican worst Cigar I've ever had!!!! I would rather not smoke...
    I try not to belittle any cigar, but the Magellan is about the lowest rung of the ladder. I was given one a while ago, and it was worth what I paid for it. I returned the favor with a Rocky Patel '92. My friend THREW AWAY the rest of that bundle. My work was complete.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    alienmisprint:
    No it comes in other sizes. I know Maddy had it in the robusto size. I have only had the lancero and have always liked them. They get much better with age too. I know they are coming out with another blend of the El Triunfadors in the next few months with a red band on it. I'm excited to try them. I think they are going to be a more full release than the last blend.
    The others I have are definately going to get some age on them, thanks again for hooking that up Puro, I appreciate it. I'm still waiting for the right time to spark up that Centurion.

stephen_hannibal:
    Have you tried the Dominico from Torano yet? If you catch them on a deal you can get 'em for a little over a buck a stick and they are really really good smokes. If they slapped a fancier band on them they could sell all day for $4-5 a stick easy.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Had a Gurkha Blue Steel and a Cu-avana Intenso today
  • Options
    Smoked a RP Puro Cubano earlier, not a bad stick at all. It started off a little rocky, but smoothed out pretty quickly. By an inch in it was very flavorful and continued to be so until I nubbed it. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more of these.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    First smoke since last Sunday ...A RP Rennaisance ...enjoyable cigar...don't know for sure if it was because hadnt smoked in so long or what but I really enjoyed it . Does anyone else think these start out kinda like a Padron ...like a 3000 or something , thats what I thought of when first lit it up . Really developed more with a pepper thru the nose sorta flavor .
  • Options
    martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    stephen_hannibal:
    I picked up 35 Padilla Hybrids for 1.34 a piece and would have to say that was a steal of a deal. nothing too spectacular about them but for the price point, one hell of a cigar.
  • Options
    martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    had a La Gloria Cubana Gloria Extra today and watched the last two discs of Band of Brothers.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    LFD is now making bundles. the cameroon is great.

La flor de Oliva is a good bundle too.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:
    LFD is now making bundles. the cameroon is great.

La flor de Oliva is a good bundle too.
    For a good bundle, my vote has to go with the Perdomo ESV Seconds, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Seconds and ITC 10th Seconds. All smoke as good and taste as good as the firsts for a steal of a price...especially on auction.

Had two cigars today. First up was a La Aurora robusto, a decent enough cigar but not particularly to my liking. Later was a Gran Habano VL churchill, if not for the fact that the wrapper refused to burn, I would have really enjoyed this one...as it is, I still enjoyed the flavors put forth, the dominant ones being a spicy cedar with a pepper finish, but the burn issues really detracted from the full enjoyment.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had a Oliva O Robusto from the cotm club 6 months ago. Not as good as the second I had but definately better than the first one I had.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    clearlysuspect:
    I had my first of 5 of the stubbies that Mike and I split. I was highly surprised by this cigar and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's exactly the same size and shape as the RP Vintage Petit Corona or Sungrown Petit Corona in the figurado shape. Excellent short smoke with tons of mocha, coffee, and leather flavors. Wonderfully smooth smoke, easy on the nostrils when I blew through my nose, and even burn all the way through. Only set back I can think of is the initial light with the figurado shape. I always have a problem getting these things started with the little nipple shape at the end. Same problem with the Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Short Story and the RP Vintage 1990 & 1992 & RP Sungrown Petit Coronas.
    Yes. I'm quoting myself. Only cause it's a related topic.

So, yesterday I smoked the Famous Stubby Maduro and I really enjoyed it. Today, I smoked the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 in the exact same size and shape and, frankly, I wasn't impressed. This is the second RP 90 that I've smoked and while this one was much much better than the first, (first was a bad stick.... tasted like mold) there just weren't any flavors that jumped out at me. It was a good smoke, it was a smooth smoke, it had an even burn and good construction. If someone hands me one, I'll smoke it and I'll enjoy it, but when I'm looking for a great, short smoke, I'll be reaching for the Stubby Maduro before the RPV 90 Petit Corona from now on. Tomorrow, I'll try the RPV 92 Petit Corona and compare it to both of these.
    OK... so I had the RPV 92 Petit Corona tonight so I could compare it to the previous two mentioned cigars. While I can see how many people would like this cigar, I'm just not feeling it. I can't pin point the flavor that is dominant in the 92 but I really don't like it. Not saying it's a bad cigar, just not for me. Surprising out of my little experiment, the Stubby triumphs. Which makes me really happy because they're so cheap. There I go liking the cheaper cigar again. LOL
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I am jealous. I haven't had anything in a while......it is getting sad.

Between work and other things to do I am running out of time. Plus working second shift is making it difficult to smoke and not see 3 or 4am (which I don't often want to do). The last stick I had was a Gurkha Centurian and I wasn't that impressed. It didn't fit my flavor profile and just wasn't for me. I may feel a trade coming on for the 10 more that I have.....
  • Options
    Hugemoose:
    I am jealous. I haven't had anything in a while......it is getting sad.

Between work and other things to do I am running out of time. Plus working second shift is making it difficult to smoke and not see 3 or 4am (which I don't often want to do). The last stick I had was a Gurkha Centurian and I wasn't that impressed. It didn't fit my flavor profile and just wasn't for me. I may feel a trade coming on for the 10 more that I have.....
    Well if you do feel a trade for those coming on let me know. My smoking buddy is a HUGE fan on them and would probably be up for a swap.
  • Options
    Rightnow im having a Oliva O torpedo. And yesterday I had a perdomo 10th maduro, a little Gurkha Titan and a San Cristobal toro.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Might be going for a Gurkha Micro-Batch. Not sure which liga yet. I've had the TPB-1 and I was very impressed.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had an Oliva G toro today from the cotm club 6 months ago. It was pretty decent. This one had a tight draw which I think took away from the enjoyment. I have a few more Gs lying around in different sizes. The burn was great though.
  • Options
    Had an Arganese Maduro... this stick doesn't taste like any other maduros I've had.
    It's sweet and salty with just a hint of coca towards the end.
  • Options
    beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Backwoods Sweet Aromatic...they still have a place in my heart!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wait a minute...

wrong thread!
  • Options
    beardedcanadian:
    Backwoods Sweet Aromatic...they still have a place in my heart!!!

Dude, I said the same thing yesterday but maybe my memory was off cause I didn't like it.
  • Options
    No Backwoods for me today, sadly. :)

First up was a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet churchill, a cigar I always enjoy. Up next was a Cusano LXI Sun Grown Habano robusto, I've had this one in two different sizes, perfecto and toro, neither one would smoke, literally no smoke came out of them even though they burned, this one performed very well though, too bad it wasn't terribly full flavored. Later was a G.A.R. toro from last Thurs. daily deal, pretty much what I expected, it tasted like a Gran Habano type cigar, cedary with some pepper, a good cigar but probably not one I'm likely to buy again, not at the regular price anyway. To finish off the day I decided to give the Tatuaje Boris a spin, I like it a lot more than the Drac I can say that much, it had a very even burn and smooth draw, very full flavored and complex and on the full side of medium-full bodied, very good cigar, too bad I've only got one now.
  • Options
    Well nothing for me for the past few days because I have been working, but I get off in a little less than 2 hours, and will be heading to the lake for my 5 days off and will be taking a nice selection of smokes with me. Out there at my parents place I can kick back in the garage and fire up the wood burning stove and even if it's down in the 20's outside, I can get it up to the mid 70's inside! I'll also be taking a bottle of Maker's Mark with me so I should be pretty set for the long weekend! I'll check in from time to time! Have a good week everyone!
  • Options
    beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Well nothing for me for the past few days because I have been working, but I get off in a little less than 2 hours, and will be heading to the lake for my 5 days off and will be taking a nice selection of smokes with me. Out there at my parents place I can kick back in the garage and fire up the wood burning stove and even if it's down in the 20's outside, I can get it up to the mid 70's inside! I'll also be taking a bottle of Maker's Mark with me so I should be pretty set for the long weekend! I'll check in from time to time! Have a good week everyone!

Have a good five days off...I am heading to the Great White North and will be taking a good selection with me, but my old man just went to Cuba so I am stoked for my boxes of Hoyas and Monte Cristos and if could manage it a box of Cohiba as well, that will await me...Oh and I had a Backwoods last night and thoroughly enjoyed it...lol. I don't know why, maybe it is because I know I am only burning less than a buck! :)

• Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    San Cristobal Papagayos...maduro...gordo... 5.7x55 anyone ever try these....NICE