Home Cigar 101

How to ship cigars

ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
So being really new to cigars and stuff is there a right and wrong way to ship cigars? I have had a few orders shipped to me and it was just the general celephone stuff around the cigars. But sites like this ship with a water pillow thingy. So how does one ship cigars?
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Either way is fine. Water pillow are nice, but not needed if its only in there a few days.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    If you are shipping priority, I see no reason to put a pillow in, but it does not hurt. However, if they get smashed, they ooze out a goup that will get on non-cello cigars and ruin them. As far as packing them is concerned, the answer is easy. Think about it this way... If you opened up the package you are sending, would you think it was packed well? If not, then start over. They should not be free floating and moving around; rather, secure without being able to move within bubble wrap or some other packing material. When cigars get tossed around, they break.
    catfishbluezz:
    If you are shipping priority, I see no reason to put a pillow in, but it does not hurt. However, if they get smashed, they ooze out a goup that will get on non-cello cigars and ruin them. As far as packing them is concerned, the answer is easy. Think about it this way... If you opened up the package you are sending, would you think it was packed well? If not, then start over. They should not be free floating and moving around; rather, secure without being able to move within bubble wrap or some other packing material. When cigars get tossed around, they break.
    yeah, what he said
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    One of the guys here gave me a good tip; place your cigars in bubble wrap or whatever you are using, and then lock the entire package with newspaper inside the box. If you shake the box and anything moves, insert more paper. ( thankyou Bob Luken)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The longer it's in transit, (overseas) the better quality baggie you want to use. The zipper bags that ccom sends us cigars in are OK, but if its a long trip, get a better baggie.
    I keep all the Ccom baggies, and what ever baggies I'm bombed/traded with in stock. Also, the bubble wrap. You know, recycling and all.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Whatever you ship cigars in ensure that it has enough packaging inside to minimize any damage to the cigars...wadded up paper, etc. Pillows are fine but not necessary as mail moves pretty fast these days...4 days at most.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    flowbee:
    One of the guys here gave me a good tip; place your cigars in bubble wrap or whatever you are using, and then lock the entire package with newspaper inside the box. If you shake the box and anything moves, insert more paper. ( thankyou Bob Luken)
    this is exactly what i do. no motion should be heard/felt when you shake your packed cigars.
    only difference is that i use paper towels and not newspaper.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the bump @Bob_Luken ; great advice here for new folks (and also the old forgetful people like me lol.) 

Also, FWIW, with the recent USPS price/weight changes you guys may want to consider using First Class mail. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love the convenience & ease of the flat rate "click & ship" online labels ..... but with the small flat rate price now at $6.80....you can save about $2/package if you buy a similar sized box and ship it First class instead of Priority. (Also, the first class weight limit was increased to 16 ounces recently, and 5+ cigars and packaging material easily weighs less than that). 

You can buy boxes in bulk, for around $1 each from Uline, http://www.uline.com/BL_1407/Kraft-Indestructo-Mailers, and First class
    And first class postage will generally run you $4 or less. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Good idea. I've got a little scale that weighs in ounces. And I'm pretty sure i can ship regular first class on the click and ship account I have. No insurance but might try it.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy and print your own first class shipping labels (with insurance, if desired) from PayPal's shipping link without having to sell anything through PayPal, but you'll pay a bit more than if you went to the post office to buy the first class postage.  The USPS website does not let you buy and print first class postage.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Good idea. I've got a little scale that weighs in ounces. And I'm pretty sure i can ship regular first class on the click and ship account I have. No insurance but might try it.

Why do you have a small scale that weighs in ounces?  Do you also have two cell phones?  Sorry Bob, I could not resist.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... Heisenberg??
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

I AM the danger.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good info, thanks all
    A little dirt never hurt
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob broke bad. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whatever happened to that scale that weighed in grams... long time ago, different topic
    A little dirt never hurt
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Bump for the noobs

kuzi16 said:
    flowbee:
    this is exactly what i do. no motion should be heard/felt when you shake your packed cigars.
    only difference is that i use paper towels and not newspaper.
    Sorry, I quoted the wrong one. I was distracted by food.
    I like newspapers, it is interesting to see the news in other parts of the country, so pack with the local news, not the national news or sports page.
    I have perused a newspaper that was used as packing material before. 
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

Why do you have a small scale that weighs in ounces?  Do you also have two cell phones?  Sorry Bob, I could not resist.
    Just tell them you are a home brewer and use it for measuring hops.....:)
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also recommend over protecting meaning lots and lots of packing material since often times the boxes are out through some abuse while shopping lol. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Close the packed box (don't seal it yet) and shake it, if you can hear/feel any movement add more  packing material. USPS sometimes likes to play soccer, football, baseball or hockey depending on the season. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Close the packed box (don't seal it yet) and shake it, if you can hear/feel any movement add more  packing material. USPS sometimes likes to play soccer, football, baseball or hockey depending on the season. 
    USPS may like to play those games but UPS grandfathered the whole idea. And they included rugby in the list of games - I think maybe because there's a lot of kicking in rugby. And heavy men falling down on the packa-... er, uh, the ball.....  B)
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    USPS may like to play those games but UPS grandfathered the whole idea. And they included rugby in the list of games - I think maybe because there's a lot of kicking in rugby. And heavy men falling down on the packa-... er, uh, the ball.....  B)
    Thinking of these two reminds me of the opening scene for the original Ace Ventura with the package delivery bwahahahahaha

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    I learned with a recent lost PIF that it's not a bad idea to put clear tape over the label if you write it in ink. A good rain and suddenly your perfectly picked, packed and posted PIF ends up in the mystery mail bin! 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tabako said:
    I learned with a recent lost PIF that it's not a bad idea to put clear tape over the label if you write it in ink. A good rain and suddenly your perfectly picked, packed and posted PIF ends up in the mystery mail bin! 
    Absolutely!  This is a 'given'.......