Home Non Cigar Related

What do you collect?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Non Cigar Related
I know this has been posted several times, but too lazy to go looking for those threads, so figured I'd start a new one, since the baseball cards brought it to mind.

Sports memorabilia (any specific person or team?), Rock memorabilia (specific genre or artist?), shot glasses, patches or what?
And what are your prize pieces?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have hobbies but don't consider myself much of a collector.  I got into classic shaving, first with safety razors and then with a straight razor and in the process I've acquired about ten or twelve vintage and and modern safety razors, but not to collect and save in their original box but to use in a rotation.  I only have one straight razor, I don't feel the need to collect more, though I've been tempted.

I also like to roast my own coffee.  If you ask Peter, he might say I have a collection of green coffee beens because when I got into the hobby I was buying all sorts of different great coffees at a pace that I couldn't keep up with using my hobbiest roaster.  I'm trying to bring that in line now too.  Now, with cigars, I've started buying and trying (in no small tnaks to the BoTL here on this forum) all sorts of different sticks, but I'm not collecting them to save  but rather to smoke and enjoy.  Maybe I don't have the fortitude it takes to build and save a collection of items and keep them in pristine condition, but I can understand the attraction.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuni fetishes. We have been collecting these small stone sculptures for 30 years.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    um... mouse netsuke, pipes, pipe tobacco, snuff, cigars, cameras, pliers and other jeweler's tools; stuff that might, but probably won't, be useful.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, I have to cop to a razor collection, but  they're all user grade. I also have a small collection of lever espresso machines that I use on a rotational basis.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been collecting baseball cards since I was a kid. Last few years I've been working on completing my Mint Condition 1970 Topps Baseball Set. Its been a fun challenge since you can find most of the common cards on ebay but have to really look for the mint cards :) Still hunting for that Nolan Ryan card but not willing to pay $200 for 1 card.

001.jpg 49.7K
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Let me check and see if I have a double of that one.
    I'd have to dig them out. Not sure where they are stuck away now. LOL!
    What other cards in the set are you missing?
    I have a bunch of the 70 Topps cards.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 favorite cards are my psa9 and psa 10 Barry Sanders rookie cards..  Not worth a bunch, but he is my all time favorite rb.. 
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Let me check and see if I have a double of that one.
    I'd have to dig them out. Not sure where they are stuck away now. LOL!
    What other cards in the set are you missing?
    I have a bunch of the 70 Topps cards.
    Thank you for looking @0patience I'll post a list of what I have soon :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect some sports memorabilia. Mainly St. Louis Blues and Denver Broncos stuff. My other collection is guitar picks from bands. I think I have around 40 with most of them being acquired at concerts, I have purchased a few. I have a sign I take to every show that I'm down on the floor that says "guitar pick?" It has never failed me. My most prized pick is probably the one from Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold. He's been one of my favorite guitarists so getting that one was very exciting for me
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

at this point im collecting "Disagrees' on all my comments....

Other than that... I collect TV shows on DVD, random coins, knick-knacks that I like and bottle caps. :) I used to collect Hot wheels and have almost 2000 of them.... ALL IN THE BOXES!!!! LOL But my daughter ended up in the ER 4 years back and I had to sell them to cover the medical bills. Well worth the investment. :)

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
    @WaterNerd
    I checked and only have one of the 1970 Ryan cards.

But I know a guy who knows a guy and they both owe me because I was able to aquire a 56 Topps Mantle card for them that they needed, so if they have it, I'm pretty sure I can get it. 
    The problem is, they mostly have pre-65 cards.

Also, I have a bunch of 70 Topps cards, so I might have some you need.
    Make me a list of the numbers you need and I'll see how many I can fill.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    @WaterNerd
    I'll get the cards out Tuesday.
    With the holiday and all.
    There will be a bunch of doubles, use them as trading material.
    I struck out on the Ryan card though. Seems no one has any doubles. 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    My parents always told us kid if you more than 3 of something then you have a collection, we spent most of our childhood in antique stores and garage sales, guess that's why i have a strong urge to save things not at a hoarder level by any means.

just a few things tea cups, vinyl records, pipes, table top war game miniatures, guitars, stone beer mugs, tools 
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
    @WaterNerd
    9505 5154 7388 6152 0297 24

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Well if you mean what do you dump a lot of money into it would be fishing stuff and cigars...other then that I'm just boring. Oh I guess tools as well!
    Money can't buy taste
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a few things I actively collect as money allows. I get so hyper-focused and "in" to whatever gets my attention that I only play in one hobby at a time that way I don't drain the family savings etc, hahaha. But I collect knives, cigars, whiskey, and motorcycle stuff (paraphernalia, kawasaki parts, old Kawasaki bikes etc.). At least all of my "hobbies" are cheap right?!  :D

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a few things I actively collect as money allows. I get so hyper-focused and "in" to whatever gets my attention that I only play in one hobby at a time that way I don't drain the family savings etc, hahaha. But I collect knives, cigars, whiskey, and motorcycle stuff (paraphernalia, kawasaki parts, old Kawasaki bikes etc.). At least all of my "hobbies" are cheap right?!  :D

Brett

I may be able to help you with some old Kaw paraphernalia. Let me know what you like.

Brett

I may be able to help you with some old Kaw paraphernalia. Let me know what you like.
    Very kind of you Genaredogg, no problem though I can't afford to spend money on anything after the move right now and no one needs to just send anything, very much appreciate the sentiment though :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    So your to good for some of my cigars you say?! Addy up!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brett

Very kind of you Genaredogg, no problem though I can't afford to spend money on anything after the move right now and no one needs to just send anything, very much appreciate the sentiment though :)

Brett
    No cost involved just an addy. 
    So your to good for some of my cigars you say?! Addy up!!
    lol very very cute Lee, man have to say I truly have missed the hell outta ya brother and many others here! It really is great to be back among some really terrific people, life has taken some pretty harsh and unexpected turns lately that I haven't and don't need to get into, but honestly it is good to see and talk to some good friends and catch up with people that I have missed and care about ;)

Brett

Brett

Brett
    No cost involved just an addy. 
    Hahaha I can tell we have had some extremely kind and generous as well as stubborn new to me members join up since I have been away. Once again I thank you very very much, however that is not necessary at all and I couldn't take advantage of such a generous and thoughtful member

Brett 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't do it, he's going to make someone else pay...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    If you don't do it, he's going to make someone else pay...
    LOL well I have had others make me pay for many years and nearly 9000 posts, I think its time for someone else to pay  :p

Brett
    edited June 2016
    LOL well I have had others make me pay for many years and nearly 9000 posts, I think its time for someone else to pay  :p

Brett
    You know, Brett hasn't been hit in quite some time. Kind of thinking he should pay some kind of pennance for that. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was collecting coins for a bit, but that got expensive. Will have to dig some stuff and post some pics.  Have some stuff from the mid 1800's, don't remember everything I have lol. 
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Waternerd...
    i can get Nolan Ryan to sign stuff. I have a great connection. 
    Danny B
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I have hobbies but don't consider myself much of a collector.  I got into classic shaving, first with safety razors and then with a straight razor and in the process I've acquired about ten or twelve vintage and and modern safety razors, but not to collect and save in their original box but to use in a rotation.  I only have one straight razor, I don't feel the need to collect more, though I've been tempted.

I also like to roast my own coffee.  If you ask Peter, he might say I have a collection of green coffee beens because when I got into the hobby I was buying all sorts of different great coffees at a pace that I couldn't keep up with using my hobbiest roaster.  I'm trying to bring that in line now too.  Now, with cigars, I've started buying and trying (in no small tnaks to the BoTL here on this forum) all sorts of different sticks, but I'm not collecting them to save  but rather to smoke and enjoy.  Maybe I don't have the fortitude it takes to build and save a collection of items and keep them in pristine condition, but I can understand the attraction.

Yakster,
    I am a huge fan of coffee.  Not a collector, but a huge fan. My fav so far is a little place near me called PEARLAND COFFEE.  It is so good.  They roast their own and you buy them by the whole bean.  What I love is how fresh the beans are, with in days roasted. 

I could send you some and see what you think. 
    Danny B