Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Lmao depends where your from! Jigs always do well deep divers are always a good choice. I do love throwing buzz baits but in me ne area it's all about a swimbait on a shaky head!! You can swim it or shake it and it does wonders! I kind of one day said this is a good idea...it's gotten me a few fivers and it really just cleans up. Just swim it kill it then twitch and your good. I use reactions innovations skinny dippers in disco with "spot removers" 
    Money can't buy taste
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I realize its a loaded question but there is so much to choose from I just dont know where to start.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good cigars.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wha kind of water will you be fishing?  Deep/rocky, shallow weedy, etc?  What is your basic fishing style- chuck and wind, slow (like jigging), etc?  This will help determine where you can start. This also helps determine what type of line to spool up on that thing. I use all three types depending on what I am doing (mono, flouro, braid)

What bait caster did you get?  What is the rod action?  This also plays a role as they work best when the action meets the fishing method. 

Talk to me goose. LOL
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    edited June 2016
    I picked up a Quantum Team KVD 6'9" Medium Heavy action
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/quantum-team-kvd-baitcast-combo/0000000239337

The lake has a lot of shallow weed and lilly cover, some shallow rocks humps.  I put on 12lb nanofill.  I can fish anyway.  I do a lot of musky fishing and rock cranks, jerks, pumping soft baits.  So type of fishing isnt an issue.

I also have 2 decent spinning combos 1 with 8lb fireline and the other with nothing on it so I can put something on there as well to help out.  I believe both of those are 6'6" medium action (use them for my walleye fishing)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    I'll add that there are a lot of northerns in the lake and they are pretty fricken stupid and hit anything.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Shallow weed/pads:  single hook baits are your friend. You can run the gamut here. Senko type baits, plastic worms, tubes, frogs, buzz baits, spinner baits, swimming jigs and chatterbaits.  I use them all in different variations depending on depths and weed thickness. Almost always use braided line too for ripping through cover. 

Rocks:  I'm a two trick pony here. Cranks and jigs. Usually use mono on cranks and flouro on jigs. Jog styles can vary but weed free rocks I like football jigs. Cranks, the sky is the limit as there are so many brands now. I am partial to rapala DT series just cuz I like to know about how deep it's gonna go. 

Good luck. A small investment of a few grand in tackle will get you started. LOL
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would add spinner baits in white and chartreuse or a combo of the both. If it's muddy go with Colorado blade. If clear willow leaf. Stained a combo of the both. Cranks are good. Match the hatch. Can never go wrong with plastics of any form. Many variations you can do with those. Texas, Carolina, weightless, etc. also grab a few top water. Frogs spooks, buzz baits (black). Check out bass resource.com. Good source of info. Sounds like you have a solid background so the transition should t be hard. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Damnnnn!

I picked up a Quantum Team KVD 6'9" Medium Heavy action
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/quantum-team-kvd-baitcast-combo/0000000239337

The lake has a lot of shallow weed and lilly cover, some shallow rocks humps.  I put on 12lb nanofill.  I can fish anyway.  I do a lot of musky fishing and rock cranks, jerks, pumping soft baits.  So type of fishing isnt an issue.

I also have 2 decent spinning combos 1 with 8lb fireline and the other with nothing on it so I can put something on there as well to help out.  I believe both of those are 6'6" medium action (use them for my walleye fishing)
    I'd go 20-30lb power pro and just change the leaders depending on the fishing style you choose. It can get maddening but it works
    Money can't buy taste
    Ok well I have my gear bought and I'm sure I will stop and add some more before I get up there to fish but after discussion with the D man.  

I picked up the 6'9" MH baitcaster above and then yesterday I was at Gander and picked up a 7'1" Medium action gander rod with a 13 Fishing Inception baitcaster.  I put Fluro on that one and braid on the 6'9".  My spinning rod I put Mono on so I have a bit of everything.  I picked up as far as baits go some lipless cranks, some shallow diving cranks, couple frogs, poppers, spinner baits, buzz baits, varitety of worms and tubes as well as some bullet weights and a few different hook sizes.  I think that is everything but it will allow me to do a bit of everything to get started.  To say I am excited is an understatement.  I have never been into bass fishing but there are too many good lakes around me to not give it a go.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    ^ Hope ya get a lunker!
    Ok well I have my gear bought and I'm sure I will stop and add some more before I get up there to fish but after discussion with the D man.  

I picked up the 6'9" MH baitcaster above and then yesterday I was at Gander and picked up a 7'1" Medium action gander rod with a 13 Fishing Inception baitcaster.  I put Fluro on that one and braid on the 6'9".  My spinning rod I put Mono on so I have a bit of everything.  I picked up as far as baits go some lipless cranks, some shallow diving cranks, couple frogs, poppers, spinner baits, buzz baits, varitety of worms and tubes as well as some bullet weights and a few different hook sizes.  I think that is everything but it will allow me to do a bit of everything to get started.  To say I am excited is an understatement.  I have never been into bass fishing but there are too many good lakes around me to not give it a go.

Bass fishing is well frustrating at times! Honestly on boat my minimum rod selection is 6 and I still wish I brought everything I have! The first thing is finding your style and going from there. Me I don't use anything under 7ft and don't use any reel besides the gen 1's of the Abu revos and the new shimanos. For rods st croix,Abu and duckett have been my got too's 
    Money can't buy taste
    Adventually I will be there with more rods.  1 at a time. I fish for all sorts of things so I have a variety. Ultralights, trolling, casting, musky.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Go get em Brad!  Bass Beware!  LOL

I would say get started and see what you like to throw and tailor your gear towards that.  My suggestion once you get going is add a 7+ heavy action for pitching, flipping, Carolina, etc. I use a Johnny Morris Carbonlite with a Carbonlite reel and 50lb sonic braid.  This rodd will have a Carolina ready to go about 98% of the time.  Then a good light weighted medium with a fast action tip for the smaller cranks.  I use a AG Veritas with a REVO STX for that, it will whip smaller cranks a mile.  Sounds like you have the spinning rods under control.  I have a Fenwick HMG medium light for finesse worms such as wacky rig senkos, ned rigs, drop shot, finesse jigs, etc.  My wife always comments about how many rods I have.  I just tell her its like golf clubs, there is one for every situation. 

Now you hav eto worry about FAS vs CAS!  Its a ****.

Lee, 6 rods, that's it????  LOL!  I think in my locker I have anywhere from 8-12 then my dad has who knows how many in his.  he cant fit another one and then encroaches on my side.  to say its a problem is an understatement. 

Just go with the Zebco 202.  Can't go wrong with that.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't break them either.
    So after my boat left me stranded last week today's project: new starter and ignition coil. 

Before:

Pretty simple really.  

First thing to come out was the ignition coil:

Then three bolts and the starter pops right out.... Except for this snafu. (bolt too long to fully unthread)
    Thus forcing me to unbolt and move this entire assembly. That bolt was excessively long and 1/4" shorter would prevent this. 

But it we slugged through it and...(shiny metal parts installed!  Yay!)

And now...

edited July 2016
    B.O.A.T!!!  Gotta love em. We had to have our lower unit rebuilt this year. Prop shaft was bent. Luckily was not too much out of whack to get fixed. Almost lost the prop at one point. Changed all the seals while we were at it. 

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Musta run into some really hard water to bend the prop shaft, eh?   :p
    Or a rock, or a log... One will
    never know. 

Slow day Sunday but did hook this guy.

Prolly shoulda broke out the strike king sexy shad  :D
    Just kidding. Nice bass. 

Took ok my youngest out Sunday am on Lake Delavan. Quick morning trip. Was also slow. 4 feesh total 3 pike and one bass. He's getting some skillz as he caught two on his own including the only bass. I'm about to have some serious competiton in the boat. LOL

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job turning the wrenches yourself Darrin, not a lot do that but to me it's extremely rewarding! Looks like you guys had a good trip on the lake too, awesome pic and some great father son time! 

On on a side note I was once told that a boat is a black hole that shows up on the water that you throw money into lol. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    True Brett, they are.  Scroll up just a few posts and you'll see where my latest investment of money and time went.  LOL
    skydiverD said:
    Prolly shoulda broke out the strike king sexy shad  :D
    Just kidding. Nice bass. 

I got it on the Strike King Sexy Shad spinner (willow and Colorado blade) with the trailer hook actually.  Have had that tied on for a while.  Good thing I have the one you sent me as a backup because I love that setup and will be upset when she is gone.  

A man can never have too many baits......  And my now 34 Plano 3700 series boxes will attest to that. Before I had CAS, I suffered from LAS (Lure acquisition syndrome). Especially if I get a deal on it. Didn't matter that I already have 4 more of the exact same thang, and then there are all the "Vitolas" of said bait.  :D

Houston, I have a problem. 
    I took out my youngest yesterday. We were after perch or walleye, however we only managed about 20 sheepshead. Stilla blast to catch on ultralight gear.

Team O'Donnell FTW!