Home Cigar 101

Veteran's advice to newbie, first humidor.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Cigar 101
If you coud catch a newbie BEFORE he bought his first desktop, what advice would you give? I hate how the "starter" humidors and basic destop humidors are such a pain in the ass for newbies.

I'd advise them to start with a tupperdor. If they are still dead set on a desktop humidor, I'd advise them to do about a year's worth of research first. OK, a year's worth is a lot but still,....

I'd advise them to Get a good digital hygrometer before getting started. Walmart even has a good simple one that is fairly accurate. I've got two of them and they are always spot on. I've tested them and their calibration is always good. They take up a bit more room but otherwise great choice. http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

Next Id say don't use the wipe down method for seasoning a wood humidor. Use bovedas to season and bovedas to humidify. There are other good plans but this is the easiest. 

Your thoughts?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting with a tupperdor with Boveda packs makes sense to me because if your just getting into cigars you don't have to wait while your seasoning your humidor to get your cigars settled.  

You can always do what I did which is to temporarily store the cigars in Ziploc bags with Boveda packs while seasoning.  I used the Boveda seasoning packs and the only problem I had was believing the analog hygrometer that came with the humidor would be even remotely accurate.  I picked up a Zikar hygrometer at my B&M and waited the two weeks and all was good.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the above thoughts.  I bought my first one, seasoned it first then ordered cigars.  Took a couple weeks to get it stable.  Bought 2 boxes, just about filled it so ordered a bigger humi.  So I guess whatever size you think you need you should triple it, at least, that would be good advice too.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's better zip locks or tupperdor? Think the tupperdor might breath a little and be better.
    The reason I ask is I bought a couple boxes and put some in the humi and the rest in zip locks with boveda packs. There is a big difference with the ones in the humi. Is it because the ones in the humi breath a little more than the air tight zip locks.
    Coolidor plans in effect. If you buy boxes do you store them in the original sealed boxes or transfer to tupperdors for coolidor storage( man am I getting confused).
    Or is the cedar rack system @miller65rod had the way to go.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whole boxes go into the cooler. You can just use an empty box in the cooler for singles. Cedar racks are awesome but costly.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Albinfk depends on your budget. Boxes are fine and u can usually get them for free or for a few dollars at a local B&M if you shop there. Just ask. Cedar trays cost $$ but they can be more organized for space, I used them for singles.. Cigar boxes come in all kinds of sizes. Either way has worked for me. I even throw singles in empty boxes for easier storage. I use cigar bags also. Another effective way to stack up singles etc. 

Rule of thumb is to store your gars in the box it came in if you buy boxes. Plus if you move them your moving a box not 25 or so individual cigars. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as @0patience said go bigger in the beginning. You will use the space for sure. With everything in this hobby space is always an issue for many.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    As a relative newbie, I still had a friend just recently ask about getting a humidor. I recommended to him the "5 Vegas Tradicion" Humi that I got and when he got it in I went over and walked him through seasoning and some of the basics I know from watching stuff on here. Now he's got a good set up but I keep urging him to jump on this site and talk to you guys. xD
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my 5 Vegas humi but recommend using a digital hygrometer and Boveda packs.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

IRIS Weathertight Storage Box + Boveda packs = 

Easiest/cheapest humidor set up ever.

Also don't buy too many cheap cigars when you start. You'll end up wasting a bunch of money. Stick to five/ten packs until you figure out what flavor profiles you like.  

• RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased the 10 cigar sampler/humidor set on Cigar.com to get me started in the cigar world. Being a complete noob I followed all the instructions I could find online and have been fairly happy with the humidor but I switched to a simple tupperdor after a few weeks. I've come to the conclusion that the humidor may look nice on the desk alongside my kegerator but the tupperdor is so simple to maintain and does the job. 
    Roland
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump. For reasons.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Lmao!! I was just talking with a guy from NY that was asking what he should do for his humidor. I simply asked well did you season it? He said no I bought it at the davidoff store and they seasons it for me. I asked well how did they do that? He said they wiped it down let the water soak in and wiped it down again! I was shocked shook my head and said well they didn't season it. My seasoning technique is to put a dish of distilled water in the humidor shut the lid and walk away for a week...maybe longer in the winter. Check the humidity and if it is at 70rh then toss some boveda 65's in it and wait till it stabilizes. He looks at me and says isn't that very low? So I go over the whole 70/70 myth and told him to try a lower rh. Well all in all davidoff doesn't know a thing besides how to warp the highly priced humidors and people are just uninformed. Patience is key and never wiped down a humi unless it gets dusty
    Money can't buy taste

IRIS Weathertight Storage Box + Boveda packs = 

Easiest/cheapest humidor set up ever.

Also don't buy too many cheap cigars when you start. You'll end up wasting a bunch of money. Stick to five/ten packs until you figure out what flavor profiles you like.  

What's wrong with a Coleman cooler?! I'm sure it's much cheaper does the same thing and well why pay more for the same effect? Coolers are fine as long as the actually seal! Some have a odd built in hinge that doesn't deal completely. But all in all if it seals helps prevent temp swings then go Coleman!
    Money can't buy taste
    Should have looked it up first but IMO do not use Tupperware! I figure he was talking coolers but was wrong! Tupperware has temp swings coolers have very little! Plus what iris is selling you can get a cooler the same size for a couple extra bucks. Tupperware is good for over flow but not anything somewhat long term
    Money can't buy taste
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seriously been wanting a Humidor, now I am leaning toward a cooler or such.
    So what besides a cooler hygrometer and Boveda beads or packs, what else would I need?
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have looked it up first but IMO do not use Tupperware! I figure he was talking coolers but was wrong! Tupperware has temp swings coolers have very little! Plus what iris is selling you can get a cooler the same size for a couple extra bucks. Tupperware is good for over flow but not anything somewhat long term
    I'm not one to disagree with the veterans, but the IRIS boxes work well.  How often does your room go through those wild temp swings?   Mine never does.  The 46qt. boxes were around $18 apiece (I have six of them) so for $36 you'd have 92 qts. of storage, about the same as a cooler.  I used to think that having two coolers instead of four IRIS boxes would be easier to maintain, but with KL beads they are zero maintenance, and having things catalogued, it makes it easier to find the stick I want.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seriously been wanting a Humidor, now I am leaning toward a cooler or such.
    So what besides a cooler hygrometer and Boveda beads or packs, what else would I need?
    That's all you need. I recommend the coleman xtreme line of coolers. They make 28 quart that would be great to start with (available at walmart). Wash it out with dawn and hot water then air it out to reduce the plastic smell. You'd need about four Bovedas and you're set to go. You could possibly get a couple of plastic organizer trays or baskets to hold singles. It's simple and much easier than a desktop that may not hold humidity. 
    peter4jc said:
    I'm not one to disagree with the veterans, but the IRIS boxes work well.  How often does your room go through those wild temp swings?   Mine never does.  The 46qt. boxes were around $18 apiece (I have six of them) so for $36 you'd have 92 qts. of storage, about the same as a cooler.  I used to think that having two coolers instead of four IRIS boxes would be easier to maintain, but with KL beads they are zero maintenance, and having things catalogued, it makes it easier to find the stick I want.
    Where I live a 10 degree temp swing is normal so I go cooler! But I do agree if it's stabil where you live then not as needed but I still recommend a cooler
    Money can't buy taste
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I did mine I scrubbed with dawn and warm water then dried and lined with newspaper and a bowl of baking soda worked great. But I gotta say Brad's method @avengethis sounds a lot easier, thanks brother if I ever have to get another cooler will definitely be trying that out!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    @avengethis damn great idea!! I got all mine for free so never had to try to get a smell out since they were already odor free. But crap I do need another cooler soon so maybe I have to try this!! Your brilliant!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help and advice. Purchased a ziplock Plastic Box with foam gasket that should hold the moister in.  I didn't find a cooler I liked for the size I was looking for.  Purchased the hygrometer at Walmart, now all I need is a good source for the humidity.  for now, I am trying several buttons I use for my pipe tobacco until I can get bovedas or something similar.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are all great suggestions fom experienced folks.

If one were determined to get a humidor (maybe they like the look, cedar aroma, or class of it) I'd add:

1) Get a 100 ct minimum. No need to waste time fooling with a smaller piece that will be more difficult to stabilize and that you'll fill up quickly. 

2) if you can, buy in person so you can check the quality and seal. A nice test is to drop the lid shut from about an inch open. It should have a little air cushion and whoosh and the lid should feel heavy. 

I realize in-store selections can be scarce and sometimes pricey, but at least research a little. As mentioned above, if you can afford and want to go with a high end custom piece. It will most likely be great even if you cannot look in person beforehand.

3) be patient. Season correctly with whatever method you like (besides the wipe down--there's just no point). 

4) buy enough to at least have a layer of cigars to help stabalize rh. 

5) relax. An rh swing will not destroy your cigars. But do monitor a little more often. (Just check whenever you grab one to smoke). 

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America