Home Non Cigar Related

Ghost Pepper Season is Finally Here!!!

WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
This year I was able to start from seeds around 16 plants. Gave a bunch away to friends here at work. These plants are very hard to grow but with a little time and effort, you get rewarded with some of the hottest peppers in the world.

(Top row is ready to go. Bottom row needs a few days to get nice and red).

This is my first harvest of 2016 and I should have a lot more. I love to share so if you're interested in trying a pod or two, PM me and I’ll get them out to you :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
— Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot damn,those look awesome.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "hot damn" ^  nice johnnyB. I have some growing but they're still green, difficult to grow long-season crops up here, surrounded by water.
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Would love to have a pod. Love hot peppers. Next year I plan on having a pepper patch of my own. Great work. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaaaa... those ain't nothin'.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have to try my hand at a pepper garden next year.
    Seeing all the enjoyment a good crop brings. I've always heard that less water makes the peppers hotter,is that true?
    Non Crux sed lux
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make jelly ;)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnyB said:
    I might have to try my hand at a pepper garden next year.
    Seeing all the enjoyment a good crop brings. I've always heard that less water makes the peppers hotter,is that true?
    @johnnyB I've experimented and tried both (less water and normal watering) and the peppers from both plants tasted the same (heat and flavor) to me.

The plants I have are open pollinated and should have around 10-12 seeds in each pod. You can save the seeds and plant them next year :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man those look good and spicy, way to go Allan bumper crop!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice!!  

my peppers have been crap this year.  lots of leaves but almost no fruits. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

All my peppers that came from nurseries are doing great... jalapenos are turning red, which I like because once they ripen the hotness as a little sweetness to it.

But the seeds that were started - I think they came from @Lee.mcglynn - only got to the flowering stage so far.  I guess they have to be started indoors a couple months sooner so that maybe they're developing flowers when they go in the ground, around Memorial Day.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got three plants that I started from seeds i bought. They're approaching 3' tall but look like they may only now be getting ready to put out some flowers. My azzhat stepson who refuses to follow any of my advice has ZERO plants from the seeds that @WaterNerd sent me. He ended up buying a few plants at Lowe's. 

Something is attacking my plants, though. Whatever it is is eating holes in the leaves. I don't have a clue....image

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of dark green foliage and few fruit sometimes indicates too much nitrogen. I have that problem if I give my garden too much compost.
    @jlmarta Looks like you might have "Bacterial leaf spot" I had it on my plants this year but got rid of it with some help from Spectracide Multi-Purpose Fungicide. Check this website out for more info: http://www.thechileman.org/guide_disease.php  
    — Abraham Lincoln

• bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a bunch of these coming in and quite a few habanero as well . Only 1 jalapeño has started to grow so hopefully a few more start coming in  
    That's gorgeous, Andrew.  I'm jealous!
    I'm not exactly sure what pepper that is. I believe it was the mystery mexican seeds. I didn't think it was going to be that hot and took a big bite out of it...boy was I surprised with some heat!! Definitely caught me off guard. Not the hottest I've had but when you aren't expecting that kind of heat it can be surprising. 
    @bert873 Great looking pepper plant! Keep the pics coming :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

Ill get some more tomorrow. Things are definitely over crowded being the first time I've done this. Next year I'll only put 1 maybe 2 plants in each of these pots. But everything has been growing fast and healthy looking. 
  • Phil_from_ChicagoPhil_from_Chicago Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    My Carolina reapers are coming along terribly.  Going to replant next season after some in home growth. 
    Originally from Chicago

I enjoy good cigars and bourbon,

@Phil_from_Chicago I had the same experience when I tried growing them last year. Have you tried one? Not a big fan of the flavor but OMG the heat level is over the top
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Phil_from_ChicagoPhil_from_Chicago Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    @WaterNerd the heat is ridiculous. The flavor is there but its hard to locate when you face wants to fall off. 
    Originally from Chicago

I enjoy good cigars and bourbon,

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahahahahaaaaa yes peppers need to be started in February especially super hots! I didn't grow anything this year but if you want "hot" peppers you need to stress them. Deprive them of water and then feed. @peter4jc I still can't believe you ate that scorpion pepper! But I do still have a crap load of Carolina reapers frozen right now. I think next year will be the chocolate bhutlah! Who knows...but ghost peppers are nothing anymore
    Money can't buy taste
    jlmarta said:
    I've got three plants that I started from seeds i bought. They're approaching 3' tall but look like they may only now be getting ready to put out some flowers. My azzhat stepson who refuses to follow any of my advice has ZERO plants from the seeds that @WaterNerd sent me. He ended up buying a few plants at Lowe's. 

Something is attacking my plants, though. Whatever it is is eating holes in the leaves. I don't have a clue....image

Marty I think those are eaten by bugs and also sun burns. For some reason it's just a don't water from above kind of thing! For the most pods start giving them a good diet of orchad food! Peppers like a water ph of Arron's 6.5-7 ph. In pots I suggest stress them but what do I know 
    Money can't buy taste
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Thanks, Lee. I'm sure you're right. It must be some kind of flying bug because I never see any and there are no slime trails to indicate snails. It doesn't match the description of bacterial leaf mold because there haven't been any 'blister-looking' spots. 

Ive got 'em in pots hooked to a drip system so it shouldnt be hard to stress them water-wise. I guess I'll try that next. 

Thanks again....   B)
    @peter4jc I still can't believe you ate that scorpion pepper! But I do still have a crap load of Carolina reapers frozen right now. I think next year will be the chocolate bhutlah! Who knows...but ghost peppers are nothing anymore
    Funny, what a guy will do when there's a 5'er of CC's as the prize.  Thanks again for making that happen!
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post reminds me of a song :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPVyODTThn0
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, my peppers are not doing great, but it's the Pathetic Northwest, so I kind of expected it.
    Purple ornamentals are flowering like crazy, but only a few actual peppers.
    Tequila Sunrise peppers seem to be doing good with quite a few peppers, but no "ripe" ones yet.
    Jalapeno plant is doing well with a couple turning red.
    Most of the other peppers, while the plants seem to be doing well, have either no flowers or very tiny ones so far.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience said:
    Well, my peppers are not doing great, but it's the Pathetic Northwest, so I kind of expected it.
    Purple ornamentals are flowering like crazy, but only a few actual peppers.
    Tequila Sunrise peppers seem to be doing good with quite a few peppers, but no "ripe" ones yet.
    Jalapeno plant is doing well with a couple turning red.
    Most of the other peppers, while the plants seem to be doing well, have either no flowers or very tiny ones so far.

What are you feeding the plants with? When it's flowering time it's best to go with a feed with very very little or no nitrogen. Orchid food is hard to beat and will aid in getting more flowers on the plants. Other then that I used hydroponic nutrients that did very well. General hydroponics has florabloom that works very well but it can get pricey
    Money can't buy taste