Home Non Cigar Related

Favorite U.S. City

So what is your favorite city you've been in the states?

Mine is San Diego. Being from Louisiana, and hot natured..the weather usually gets unbearable about April and then pretty much sucks until November. So my favorite city is San Diego, which I only visited for about 10 hours in mid June 2008. In North Louisiana that day it was 103 degrees, with a humidity of 436 percent. In San Diego it was 63 degrees when we arrived at noon, and at 10 pm when we left it was..63 degrees. Awesomesauce.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you are all gunna laugh.... Marquette Michigan.

im less than 20 min for wilderness, its ON superior (my favorite great lake), and it has one of my favorite parks in the world. i could sit there all day and watch the Ore Docks load up ships.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Not sure, haven't been to all of them. I've been in more cities in other countries than here. And the other countries weren't ones I wanted to visit anyway. Well Japan was nice though I wasn't there long....

I did like Augusta ( I think that's how you spell it) Georgia.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    My dad and I were in Alaska, somwhere around Anchorage somtime in June about 10 years ago.

We flew in from LAX and I was so tired from the flight that I didn't really notice much at the time. The next morning, we had to go to a K-Mart because my dad was supervising the installation of the in-store bank, and there were Moose just crossing the parking lot and nobody gave a damn and there were big hairy mountain goats all over the mountains across the street and people didn't even notice.

We had lunch feet away from the ocean, and talk about FRESH crab, it was just heavenly. We had a view of whales breaching the water every few seconds, absolutely incredible!!

The next day we were going salmon fishing. Where we went had signs all around warning of active bears in the area because of the salmon and tons of Forest Rangers walking around carrying loaded and ready shotguns on the look out. Real nice guys. Picture this, I was 16, barely weighed 130lbs, I'm in my fishing waders in the middle of a river holding a salmon I just caught in one hand and my fly rod in the other with signs that warn of bears just on the shore... I felt like a Slim Jim holding a sign that says "Eat Me". But it was still so amazing.

Later on, we were driving back to the hotel and saw a little pond with some fish activity. So we pulled over and dipped our poles in. My dad asked me "Guess what time it is?" So I said "I dunno, 5 or 6pm?" It was 10pm still bright outside.

Unforgettable. That's my favorite city so far.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I can't say that I have one favorite city. I have favorite cities for different things or during different times of the year. For example, I really like San Antonio from Oct to Apr but after Fiesta in Apr it sucks because it gets so hot. Both Anchorage and Fairbanks in AK are nice and especially awesome from Jun to Aug but they aren't much good if you like city life like malls and movies and that kind of thing. If I had to pick just one city to live in though it would probably be in CO, like CO Springs or Boulder, since they aren't quite as busy as Denver.
  • Burlington Vermont.
  • San Diego is awesome to visit, but I could not live there. The same goes for Pittsburgh, Charleston-WV and SC,Orlando, and Myrtle Beach.I even enjoyed Omaha. I love to travel, but I always return to the ATL!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm not sure that it's my favorite, but a city I've been missing and really want to go visit lately is Cloudcroft, NM. It's a nice peaceful little town up in the mountains. Great place to go rent a cabin and get away from everything.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Kind of a Florida fan myself. Clearwater, Tampa, or Daytona all would be among my favorites. Maybe I am just thinking about them more since it is so cold here (chicago) right now. New Orleans is a great place to visit, and monk, I like Boston too !!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Portland, Seattle, Wash DC (tourist only), Columbus OH,
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    To visit, it would definately be Key West. Its like another country IMO. Nothing like it anywhere else I have found. I love the history and the eccentricity and all the different things packed into a tiny island. And it is really cigar friendly too!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    you are all gunna laugh.... Marquette Michigan.

im less than 20 min for wilderness, its ON superior (my favorite great lake), and it has one of my favorite parks in the world. i could sit there all day and watch the Ore Docks load up ships.

Kuzi, I think you are spot on with Marquette. It has some amazing food too from great cajun to awesome thai. I have spent some time prospeting up there and will take any excuse to go back. If you like that place you should go to Duluth.

For me its a toss up between Minneapolis and Corvallis OR. Minneapolis has all 4 seasons plus the people are super nice but Corvallis just has a vibe to it that is really fun.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Dillion, Colorado. Smallish town a few miles away from Aspen, has its own lake that was around 50ish degrees in July. I love to fish and would love to hang out there for a summer but I've never been there in winter time.

I know of a tobacco shop that would be cool to hang out at in Seaport Village if your ever down there again Cooper. It's got a nice humidor but the real gem of the shop is the at least 10 foot high wall of jars of pipe tobacco.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I really like Boca Raton and Deerfield Beach Fla. ...proably because of the memories and Scottsdale Arizona ...Yeah I love warm weather ...and Scottsdale had some awsome memories as well
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Miami, Miami, Miami
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    For Cities - the Big Ones - Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, Orlando. I would only live in Boston or NY, the others for visiting. For small towns basically anything on the ocean or a lake.
  • Washington D.C.

I guess I'm baised since I was born and raised in the area. But, it has almost everything within an hour drive: culture, history, activities, copious sites, sounds, and food choices. It has 5 pro sports teams and is within 30 minutes from another great city, Baltimore.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    jlzimmerman:
    Washington D.C.

I guess I'm baised since I was born and raised in the area. But, it has almost everything within an hour drive: culture, history, activities, copious sites, sounds, and food choices. It has 5 pro sports teams and is within 30 minutes from another great city, Baltimore.
    This is very very true. We live about 45 minutes south of DC and one of our favorite things to do is just go ride around on the metro system and get off somewhere different every time. There's always something different at every stop.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Although Colorado has some beautiful towns, I have to agree with Kas and say florida. My fav has to be Clearwater area. Maybe its because its 22 in Colorado right now and warm sounds soooo good.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    Any US city that is OUT of the snow belt.

If I had to pick one, I would have to say Orlando, Fla. or Branson Missouri.

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    I've been all over and travel is a hobby of mine. My favorite city is Las Vegas. Vegas is awesome if youve never been.

Coop, San Diego is a really cool city too. Ive always said that it is the biggest city Ive been to that was extremely clean. It would be a little better if the ocean temp was a bit warmer but thats not their fault!
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Anywhere not in California, and out of the progressive northwest...
  • clearlysuspect:
    jlzimmerman:
    Washington D.C.

This is very very true. We live about 45 minutes south of DC and one of our favorite things to do is just go ride around on the metro system and get off somewhere different every time. There's always something different at every stop.
    I was born and raised in Southern Maryland, near Leonardtown, so I know what you mean :)
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    My favorite city is the one I was born in- San Francisco. However Boston would be my go to city-espicially the north end. Runner up Kehei Maui.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Garen B:
    Dillion, Colorado. Smallish town a few miles away from Aspen, has its own lake that was around 50ish degrees in July. I love to fish and would love to hang out there for a summer but I've never been there in winter time.
    Dillon Lake is beautiful!! My wife and I have some very lovely pics from Memorial Day with the snow capped mountains in the background. Great town indeed.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Seattle, Washington

No contest.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I know it's cliche, but I have to go with NYC on this one. If only it were a little cheaper, I'd live there.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • JWBJWB Posts: 18
    Barstow California
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I would have to say Asheville, NC. I love the blue ridge mountains and I miss living there. It hella beats St. Louis, Misery where I am now. And second choice would be the Florida Keys. Miss it there too. And thirdly, New England (though again, not a city, but I love the area)
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have been to a lot of cities, but I still love the one closest to home. The Big Apple has everything you need and organizes it better than any city (most of the time) from the parking to the subway to the airports to the city plan to the cab drivers. Till you've had a bad cab driver, you won't appreciate these guys. The best food, the best sports teams, great cigar shops, and the best entertainment. If I could just smoke anywhere in this city, then it would be perfect.