Home Non Cigar Related

Splinters or slivers.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why is it that something so tiny can remind you every 10 minutes that it is there and is next to impossible to see, but seems to hit a nerve everytime?
And why is it that you can never find good tweezers when you need them?
I sat there for an hour with a needle, magnifying glass and when I thought for sure I had got it, it let me know it is still there.  :#

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, ornery little things aren't they.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metal ones are the worst, but goat heads are also quite a pain.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what's worse, a wood splinter, or a metal splinter?  Metal you can usually see, but you shouldn't leave them in; wood, you can't always find, but they'll degrade over time if they're small enough for your body to break down.  I hate the little bastards that come off a plant; you can't see 'em, and they protrude just enough to snag clothing or cloth seats... man, that'll drive me bonkers.

I still have one about 1/4" long in my middle finger from when I build my deck in '98.  I didn't want to stop working, so just wrapped it up.  By the time I talked to my doc he said opening the wound could have more complications than just leaving it alone.  He said it should break down and go away.  Well, it seems to be encapsulated, and now I got this lump.  At least I rarely notice it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    And what's worse, a wood splinter, or a metal splinter?  Metal you can usually see, but you shouldn't leave them in; wood, you can't always find, but they'll degrade over time if they're small enough for your body to break down.  I hate the little bastards that come off a plant; you can't see 'em, and they protrude just enough to snag clothing or cloth seats... man, that'll drive me bonkers.

I still have one about 1/4" long in my middle finger from when I build my deck in '98.  I didn't want to stop working, so just wrapped it up.  By the time I talked to my doc he said opening the wound could have more complications than just leaving it alone.  He said it should break down and go away.  Well, it seems to be encapsulated, and now I got this lump.  At least I rarely notice it.
    Yeah, I've got one in the webbing between my thumb and finger that's been there about 30 years. Wood i can usually feel right away metal i usually don't find until the next day. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some woods are worse than others in that they contain oils or other agents that irritate the flesh around it. I can't think of examples, offhand, but Google knows. 

Also, splinters from wood that has been pressure treated to resist rot, etc, from the elements is very bad for ya.....
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get cast aluminum and steel slivers a lot.  I always have a good pair of tweezers on my keys and a pack of splinter out's handy. I've even resorted to super glue a few times to pull those little pains in the a$$.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

I had the same thing happen. I squeezed the hell out of it and it popped right out.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Metal ones are the worst, but goat heads are also quite a pain.

Wow that takes me back. I punched many a tire inner tube on those Kalifornia bull thorns. Nasty little caltrops.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yakster, i would think that kalifornia would have made those nasty things illegal by now. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Yeah, I had to travel to Reno to find 'em.   :D

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a very nicely manicured lawn of nothing but goat heads.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    That is indeed the most beautiful arrangement I've seen in my life!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned to put tape on a sliver or splinter to remove it. Works about half the time before resorting to tweezers or a needle.
    I hate goat heads! My wife bikes to work so we are a one car family. I had to buy Kevlar bike tires, double liners, and put a whole bottle of slime in each tire otherwise I have to fix at least one flat per week! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    splinters of locust wood are terrible. 
    peter4jc said:
    Wylaff said:
    That is indeed the most beautiful arrangement I've seen in my life!
    Peter was so impressed he brought one back to the hotel to step on with bare feet.