Home Non Cigar Related

The Excellent Cup

13»

Comments

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great video,very informative.
    Peter ruined me for the national brand, my wife buys.
    Going to have to order some more of the excellent cup.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah i am on empty as well.  An order from Peter is due.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I have friends in the coffee biz at two different roasters.  One is a guy basically by himself and the other one I know a couple of guys who work for a larger operation.  They keep me in beans, but I need to try this stuff soon.  I was visiting with one of the guys and we were talking about coffee vs. cigar flavors and some respective flavor wheels and what's desirable, etc.  Really interesting.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched the whole thing yesterday.  Very interesting and informative.  Great job by all. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool stuff Peter, quite the art form you have there and very neat setup :) The brewing method and water used are extremely important as you have notated and completely change the taste and quality of the finished product, when I do a special pot for myself to enjoy I use a similar type of drip "brewer" and it dramatically changes the flavor profile!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I took the plunge this morning and ordered up an electric gooseneck kettle and the Baratza Encore grinder @peter4jc always recommends. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    That's a beautiful set-up, Brad!!!
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of coffee are you brewing Brad, that bag is hiding behind tthe grinder
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited June 2016
    Guatemalan from The excellent cup. Http://theexcellentcup.com or message @peter4jc.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peter4jc you have a potential millionaire customer here.

Phil Mickelson swears by this complicated coffee recipe

Alan Shipnuck, Golf Writer

In my recent podcast with Phil Mickelson, he enthused about the health benefits of a highly specific coffee drink he has concocted.

Many folks have reached out to me – on Twitter, and in real life – asking for more details. So on Thursday I traded texts with Phil friend’s Dave Phillips, the co-founder of the Titleist Performance Institute. He is responsible for Mickelson’s coffee obsession.

“I'm a coffee custodian,” says Phillips. “I find the best and share it with my friends. If there was such thing as a coffee sommelier, I would be it.”

Mickelson brews his magic elixir in a Presse, made by Bobble. Here is the tick-tock from Phillips: "Fill to the top with coarse ground Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee, then add water heated to 200 degrees. Stir five or six times, wait three minutes and then plunge it. (If you wait too long the beans get bitter.) Phil then pours it into a Bodum pot and adds Califa Farms almond milk, a dash of cinnamon, a few Yiragacheffe Cacao nibs (80%) and a little medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil, which is extracted from coconuts. With a hand electric blender he mixes it until slightly frothy and that's it."

Flop shot not included.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I use the Presse by Booble to brew my travel coffee and it works great.  You can drink the coffee straight out of the mug.  I like to wait five minutes before I press, though, but it sounds like I use a lot less ground coffee.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Okay Peter, I am interested, for a little background I am a New Orleans native. My favorite is Dark roast pure coffee no chicory. My favorite coffee is Cafe El Indio Extra Fuerte. I just received a bag from a friend who just returned from Honduras, she lived near their factory and was familiar with it when I requested a bag. Local coffee is  Community coffee, again Dark Roast Pure. I use the Porcelain drip pot, that you pour hot water into the top. I am planning on getting an electric water kettle, and I use an original Mr Coffee that we received for a wedding present nearly 40 years ago and it still works. Hoping you can make a recommendation from this info and we can  have a go.
    Thanks, NOGILLS2
    Floyd
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
    @NOGILLS2 You might consider my Alley Cat Blend...  "stands up to a piece of chocolate cake and laughs!"  On the whole, I don't like dark coffee so I don't offer much of it.  I try to ensure that my dark stuff still has some flavor and isn't burnt beyond recognition, like *$.  I also have the Roasty-Toasty Blend (very original/creative name, right?) that's not on the website.

Roast levels are always a trade off, or teeter-totter, if you will; lighter roasts will exhibit more origin character, and darker roasts will eclipse origin flavors with roasty notes.  I for one, want a particular coffee to taste like it's origin, terroir, varietal, deems it should taste like, and not just darkness.  I think that one reason *$ burns everything is because that's only way you can ensure that your coffee will be the same from year to year.  But like the old man always said, "It's a free country" and we get to enjoy our coffee any way we want.

@miller65rod  Money, being the root of all evil, I'm not going to follow that lead.  But I appreciate your concern and your big heart in trying to help out.  <3
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @Peter4jc I get my first paycheck in a week and I'll place an order then. BTW I am not a fan of *$, you can brew fresh coffee without that crazy cost!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.