Home General Discussion

Cabinet Humidor Project

matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I have been looking for a display cabinet humidor for a while.  I have looked at several online and nothing really seemed to suite what I was looking for without breaking the bank.  Since then I have been looking for new & used curio, china, & display cabinets that I may convert into one.  Well yesterday I found one and pulled the trigger.  I came across a spectacular deal on the below display cabinet. Thing is brand new and will have to be put together so this will allow me an opportunity to add additional sealing while putting together.  I viewed a model that was already constructed and this thing is pretty solid and I think will make for a good display cabinet.  I believe that I am close to a design that I want to incorporate that will include drawers, single trays on shelves, and angled display shelves for boxes on display.  I just pulled the trigger on a Cigar Oasis Magna that I will use for active humidification.  I am excited to get this thing going and in use.  I will post updates as they happen wit pictures.  Unfortunately wont happen overnight as the wife already has me working on a couple house projects.  

Next step is to stop by local hardwoods place and see what they have available in SC to see if I need to order anything or get it there.  

Let the fun begin!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome, Mark!

I've always wanted to refurb an old cabinet, but buying new/unassembled sounds even better.  My problem is that I'm too cheap to run the A/C all summer so it's usually above 73*, and too lazy to strip the thermoelectic part of wineador and put it into a cabinet like this.

I look forward to watching the progress on this!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice choice! Keep posting updates please. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, that is going to be really interesting.  Looking forward to watching your progress.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great idea! Keep us posted. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure there's a way for air to circulate vertically other than the slots in the racks.
    That's one issue I'm having.
    If there was room in front of and behind the cigar trays I could get better circulation
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely plan on leaving an air gap in the back and will be some in the back.  I will have a better idea once I unbox this thing and start messing with it.  

@sketch6995, I watched a youtube video with a guy that has the old English humidor that is similar to yours.  He cut out 3 holes in one of the shelves above the drawers and inserted some fans.  

Di your Magna come with aux fans?

edited February 2017
    @matkn293
    No it didnt, just the shelves.
    Can you link that vid?
    I'd love too see that.

I miss read that lol sorry.
    I'm still waiting for UPS....
    I'll let you know, but I'm not expecting any.
    I have a bunch of fans for the Hydra LG's I'm hoping they will work.
    80mm pc case fans.
    I hope they use the same ribbon cable.
    Post edited by Sketch6995 on

I believe they should but not 100%. I'll see if I can find the vid again. Found it persuading the tube today when I should have been working. 

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So very cool congrats, will be watching this with baited breath to see the outcome! Congrats!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Well don't hold your breath as it may take a while to evolve.  

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL fair enough!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Got this thing unpackaged last night.  Will probably get it downstairs tonight and start will the construction and sealing.  Started laying out ideas for shelves and have a decent idea what I want to do.  Unfortunately I think I am going to scrap the drawer idea.  There is too much of a reveal on either side and will lose some space, plus it will take quite a while to construct.  Guess it can always be done later.  Interested to see what kind of space the Magna will take up.  Believe I will do 2 angled display shelves at the top and then a flat shelf underneath that for additional boxes.  Everything below that will be able to accept cedar trays for singles.  

Also going to put some LED tape lighting I have laying around in it at the front behind the side reveals.  

Thought about how I could incorporate the drawers into this thing.  Would be nice if they were behind the glass.  I don't think that I would be able to get a good seal on them to use them other than dry storage for ash trays, cutters, lighters and addys (haha).  

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if you could turn the drawers into their own little humidors;  router a rabbet around the top edges and put a hinged lid on the drawer.  That way you could load them up with daily smokes and not that to open the doors of the main compartment as often.

Initially, I thought you would remove the drawers and seal only the drawer-fronts in place to make a spot for the humidifier.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Did not think about that Peter. That is a great idea. I will look at the construction of the bottom section when I get home. The nice thing about this is the bottom and top pieces are fully comstructed. Won't take much to put together. But does hinder options slightly. The very top piece is flat across the main cabinet area and does not open up inside. It does have a hollow cavinty that could be used to hide electeincs but I don't have a current plan to use any with having the magna. Would have if I would have done a DYI humidifier. Or put lighting recessed in it but am putting that vertically on the sides In the front, so for now it will remain dead space. It is sealed nicely however and not sure I want to mess with that. 

Got the magna. Excited is an understatement. 

• cigarbreathcigarbreath Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭
    @matkn293
    No it didnt, just the shelves.
    Can you link that vid?
    I'd love too see that.

I miss read that lol sorry.
    I'm still waiting for UPS....
    I'll let you know, but I'm not expecting any.
    I have a bunch of fans for the Hydra LG's I'm hoping they will work.
    80mm pc case fans.
    I hope they use the same ribbon cable.
    Fans vibrate while running which generates a buzzing sound with the humidor making a perfect sound box.  In short, fans can make noise.  Just a thought.
    @cigarbreath

I have 4 running plus 2 humidifiers, they're pretty quiet.
    I can't really hear them until I open the door.

But then I'm half Deaf from everyone yelling at me to turn the music down over the years.
    So there's that ..... lol

@cigarbreath

I have 4 running plus 2 humidifiers, they're pretty quiet.
    I can't really hear them until I open the door.

But then I'm half Deaf from everyone yelling at me to turn the music down over the years.
    So there's that ..... lol
    Attached the fans to the back wall of a half height cabinet humidor.  Constant low buzz so no more fans.
    For me it will be in the basement. Not a problem here. If I am in my to be cigar room the ex fan will be running so I won't hear it anyway. 

@sketch6995 you still have a Hygra with the Magna?

matkn293 said:
    For me it will be in the basement. Not a problem here. If I am in my to be cigar room the ex fan will be running so I won't hear it anyway. 
    The fan buzz probably related to the thickness of material they are attached to.  Me and my flimsy azz humi.
    @matkn293
    Yes running both

You plan on dropping down to just the Magna?  Or continue to run both?  I am just curious how the one manga will do by itself.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it done yet?  . . . Is it done yet?

Looking forward to seeing this come together.  I like the idea of incorporating a drawer of some type for daily smokes.  I have a small 30 count or so where I keep some daily burners or cigars I come across that I want to smoke.  I just keep a Boveda in there to maintain the RH.  I usually look there first unless I have something specific in mind.
    @matkn293
    Neither by them self do very well, both of them together still don't do very well.
    I think I'm going to take the cigars out And re season the entire humidor one more time.
    It just doesn't hold humidity.
    Bummed.

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humid air rises, possible right out that opening you have?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a room you want to rent out? Very cool, kind of makes my cooler look like sheet.