Home Non Cigar Related

Car & Truck Talk

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Non Cigar Related
How many of you work on your own or your wife's vehicles?  I'm no Master Tech by any means but I maintain and repair our vehicles when they break and I like to think I'm a decent mechanic.  

I thought this might be a place where we could share the projects we're undertaking, the problems we're up against, and the useful tips that might help others. 

Ask for help.  Offer advice and suggestions. Or just show us what you're working on. 

As an Aircraft Electrician/Avionics Tech/ Aircraft Mechanic there isn't much that scares me in terms of troubleshooting and repair.  Typically I'll do some reading, watch so videos on YouTube, buy the tools I need and get the job done.  

I have a 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 TurboDiesel Powerstroke 4x4 and my wife has a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4.  She has actually become quite the researcher and troubleshooter also, and she's not afraid to climb under the truck and help me drop a transmission or a rear differential. 

So my first bit of gouge to add here: 

During some troubleshooting of a no start condition on my truck I recently discovered an amazing App on my phone called Torque Pro. It is by far the best thing I've ever spent $5 on.   Paired with a cheap $10 ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter this app can out perform some test equipment that cost hundreds and thousands of dollars.   I'm pretty astounded by its capabilities. If you're doing your own maintenance you absolutely need this app!!!
Post edited by clearlysuspect on

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I am a master/journeyman tech.
    I've done work for several Auto and heavy truck diagnostic companies and online companies.

I posted this some time ago. 
    http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/897532/automotive-diagnostic-apps

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh cool.  I discovered that this would work on my 6.0 Powerstroke from one of my favorite YouTube mechanics. 

https://youtu.be/9kjoWoYtZg4

I was so glad to discover they covered diesel engine sensors like ICP, IPR, FICM, FICM SYNC....  From all the Powerstroke forums I was looking at it seemed I was gonna have to shell out several hundred dollars for Autoenginuity + software or at least $160 for a scan gauge.   

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was an auto tech for almost 10 years starting when I was 16, but due to my degenerative spinal and muscular conditions I had to give that up and thats when I started at Apple. That being said most of the wrenching I do anymore is on my motorcycle, 1985 Kawasaki GPz750. Saturday we put her up on the moto jack and peel off the tires and put on the new rubber. Then next weekend we pull off the entire front end and rebuild the front shocks and front end and put in new fluid, progressive springs and new seals and dust covers.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    It's Brett, right?  You posted a picture from one of your photo accounts once and I scrolled through the rest of them and saw quite a bit of motorcycles in there.  That's the one thing I've never worked on.  Is it much different from working on cars or trucks?   I too have some really bad spine issues that keeps me from doing much heavy lifting these days.  I don't do the tire rotations anymore on my truck! 

Where did you work as a mechanic? 
    Hey there @clearlysuspect, yes its Brett and nice to meet you ;) Bikes are pretty similar just everything is much more compact and different orientation and application, but much of the same ideas and concepts move over well. It isn't too different but there is a learning curve all the same. As for where I worked, I spent a lot of my time at Matthew's Automotive Super Shop in Longmont, CO until they went under, but loved it there and had a great experience overall. Did some tire busting, electronics work and other stuff here and there but most of my time was at Matthew's Shop.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently am doing a huge restoration on my old high school muscle car. It's a 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 6 speed, hence my user name. Got around 20+k going into it. Should be well over 500rwhp & rwtq. Looking at doing a Gen 4 re sleeved ls3 402-427 haven't decided yet. Complete road race suspension, drive train, literally almost everything aftermarket. It will be able to hang with the C7 Corvettes on the course all day long and should be running 10's in the quarter. 9's when spraying a 200 shot >:)

I can't wait to get her done…pending my recurring back injury :(

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Very nice, Pops has a 2002 WS6 Trans Am with some work done on it and spent a lot of time in that car and behind the wheel. Love the F bodies, had a 1985 Camaro that I made for my first car and had years of work in it. Best of luck!
    Thanks Brett, Your Pops has a very good taste for the F-bodys! I always wanted a WS6 but at the time when I was 17 the extra 2k was just to much to spend then. The body styling with the birds were 10 years a head of their time. I'll admit it… the 4th gen firebirds look more bada$$ then the camaros!

I thought the build would be fun but has turned into a major PITA! Just getting the right parts and not being damaged upon arrival has been ridiculous. I'll take all the luck you got man.

My brother has an 86' IROC Z28, I love the 3rd gens also, those babes can move with work done, I bet yours can move! People these days driving their new Corvettes, Challengers etc. think they're slow then get their own doors blown off at the stop light. LOL      
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My AC won't blow because a 50cent door is stuck. Ford wants over $700 just to get to it. I guess it will be a long hot and humid summer.
    edited March 2017
    jd50ae said:
    My AC won't blow because a 50cent door is stuck. Ford wants over $700 just to get to it. I guess it will be a long hot and humid summer.
    Quit putting pens and things on the dash. They fall down the defrost and get hung up in the blend door. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I NEVER put things on the dash. We think a mouse crawled in and died.

0patience said:
    jd50ae said:
    Quit putting pens and things on the dash. They fall down the defrost and get hung up in the blend door. LOL!

0patience said:
    jd50ae said:
    My old friends flip phone is still in my camaros defroster vent! He placed it up there carelessly one day, the dashboard broke from UV exposure had cracked so I took it out… We both gave up on trying to retrieve it. Only way to get it out is to pull the whole dash out then unbolt/screw the HVAC vent portion where ever the hell the phones at.  
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Something like this work?  I tried to use mine to get the bulb out of the rear light assembly, it fell off inside, but I couldn't get a grip.  Gum didn't work either.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    @Yakster I tried a similar grabber years ago with no luck, I gave up on it, only way it's coming out is to pull the dash and only way I'm doing that is to replace the actuators for the HVAC system.
    Yakster said:
    Something like this work?  I tried to use mine to get the bulb out of the rear light assembly, it fell off inside, but I couldn't get a grip.  Gum didn't work either.

Don't use gum. Use super glue.  It'll stay wet until it comes in contact then adhere.  I do it all the time on planes when we have to retrieve something I dropped into a bad spot.
    Pulling the dash always sucks!  I've done it twice.  I'd almost rather buy a new vehicle than pull a dash!  Lol. 

Do all of us here have back problems? 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna go with "yes".
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

I'm gonna go with "yes".

I'm gonna go with "yes".
    I get a few epidurals a year.  I think one wore off on Friday.  I left work early, went to the doc and got some steroid shots and a bunch of drugs. Been in excruciating pain all weekend. 

On the way home from the doctor I was running that Torque Pro app. My truck started running rough and not responding to acceleration much. Fortunately with that app I was able to diagnose it very quickly and have and IPR sensor on the way in the mail. Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon so I can change it.
    edited March 2017
    You're replacing the IPR on a 6.0?
    Have fun with that. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having back trouble lately too. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    0patience said:
    You're replacing the IPR on a 6.0?
    Have fun with that. LOL!

It doesn't look too bad.  Definitely gonna have to move some stuff out of the way but it looks pretty straight forward.  I can show you stuff on aircraft that would make your jaw drop its so hard to reach. 

I think the worst tool I've ever dropped was into the intake fairing of a B757 engine.  I spent 8 hours with a magnet attached to a really long stick and a boroscope.  After that I just started to tie my tools to my wrists while working in that area.

I highly recommend having one of these too!  I'm not sure if this is the exact one I have but it has saved my rear end numerous times!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Android-Endoscope-5-5mm-6-LED-USB-Waterproof-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-NEW-/401191563765?hash=item5d68e171f5:g:YH0AAOSwAuZX2QzN

Well it's bike related not car, but spent all day in the garage yesterday putting on new tires and rebuilding the front forks as the seal and dust covers were 32 years old and cracked. New fluid and progressive springs and new seals and covers. Ride home was great but I step off the bike and notice a ton of oil from the front forks everywhere. So old cracked seals don't leak but brand new ones do.... WTF?!?!?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you're going to be doing it again.  I don't know if this will help, but on my old Super Glide I had problems with fork seals, turned out it was because I was using Armor All on the dust covers.  Seems it breaks the surface tension between the seals and tubes, allowing the oil through.  So, did you polish the tubes?  or, anything else like that? 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I ran some extremely fine steel wool over a few very small spots on the fork tubes that were a bit marred but it was super fine and very small spots. I highly doubt that is the issue, I am also going to check the brake fittings as we had to take off and bleed the brakes when we took everything apart. Will report back when I know more but I suspect its the dust covers as I can see fluid leaking and pooling near them.

It doesn't look too bad.  Definitely gonna have to move some stuff out of the way but it looks pretty straight forward.  I can show you stuff on aircraft that would make your jaw drop its so hard to reach. 

I think the worst tool I've ever dropped was into the intake fairing of a B757 engine.  I spent 8 hours with a magnet attached to a really long stick and a boroscope.  After that I just started to tie my tools to my wrists while working in that area.

I was working on a log yarder once and dropped a tool that I really needed to finish the job and I heard it hit 3 times and then silence.
    It took me longer to find the tool, than to finish the job.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    You try a simple SealMate or similar tool to see if they became contaminated on your ride???  I've seen a couple people just make them out of a milk container.
    0patience said:

I was working on a log yarder once and dropped a tool that I really needed to finish the job and I heard it hit 3 times and then silence.
    It took me longer to find the tool, than to finish the job.

Nice.  That always sucks.  I had a crazy experience once when I dropped a small 1/4" spline nut off the side of a V-22 Osprey engine while I was trying to attach an electrical harness to it.  I was working up on a ladder when I dropped the self-locking nut.  I knew it wasn't on the plane so that was good, but a search of about a 20 foot radius showed no results.  The guy who designed the computerized manuals for the plane, Dean, was walking past and asked what we lost.  I told him what happened.  He asked if I had another one so I gave him one.  "Let's drop this one and see how far it rolls, then we'll know about how far we need to set our search radius."  Sounded like a good idea.

I swear this was one of the craziest things I've ever seen.  That thing hit the ladder on the way down, hit the ground and rolled clear across the hangar, and it only stopped because it ran into something.  I'm talking a good 30-40 yards away. 

I went and got another nut.

edited March 2017
    The other day I was working on a diesel that I had the injectors out. This particular engine has a seperate injector seat. A small disk that fits into the bore before the injector goes in. I dropped one and it rolled and rolled. It took me an hour and a good magnet to find out that it rolled under the tracks of an excavator sitting 3 bays over.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Sounds like you and I need to stop dropping crap!!!  LOL