Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I was relegated to a cup of swill from the local Marathon station this morning... Uuggghhhh!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    I was relegated to a cup of swill from the local Marathon station this morning... Uuggghhhh!
    It saddens me to hear this....you have my sympathies, Toombes. LOL

Seriously that stuff is awful - I too had to suffer through this as well one time last summer - it was a long drive and I had depleted my thermos so when I stopped for gas I figured I'd grab a cup....ugg, NEVER AGAIN!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Toombes:
    It saddens me to hear this....you have my sympathies, Toombes. LOL

Seriously that stuff is awful - I too had to suffer through this as well one time last summer - it was a long drive and I had depleted my thermos so when I stopped for gas I figured I'd grab a cup....ugg, NEVER AGAIN!

It's beats the flavored water they try to pawn off as cappuccino. This thread reminds me, I need to pick up some more beans...
    Enjoying some freshly ground, light roast Rwandan coffee this morning.

Finishing up the last few beans of Rwandan that are in the grinder ... and looking forward to the freshly roasted, medium Brazilian beans that arrived on Saturday as part of this month's order.

Also - for all you coffee lovers, better start stocking up .... give a look to this article, Coffee beans in danger of extinction

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    been drinking black silk by folgers find it really bold and flavourful.also like alot of the gevalia coffees wich they now sell at winn dixie so thats good
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    LOL,,,, Very Nice Andrew,, have you perfected your roaster?? Been enjoying Kona coffee myself lately!!!
    amz1301:
    Anytime Ripon...I've got you covered. How could I pass on coffee and a cigar with "The Most Interesting Man in the World", lol.
    rzaman:
    Next time when I am in DC area, I know where to go for freshly roasted and brewed coffee and a cigar.
    amz1301:
    Just picked this up today locally off craigslist to fuel my newly increasing coffee interests...which somehow I picked up from this forum. Gotta get an espresso grinder now, lol.

The Kid:
    LOL,,,, Very Nice Andrew,, have you perfected your roaster?? Been enjoying Kona coffee myself lately!!!
    amz1301:
    Anytime Ripon...I've got you covered. How could I pass on coffee and a cigar with "The Most Interesting Man in the World", lol.
    rzaman:
    Next time when I am in DC area, I know where to go for freshly roasted and brewed coffee and a cigar.
    amz1301:
    Just picked this up today locally off craigslist to fuel my newly increasing coffee interests...which somehow I picked up from this forum. Gotta get an espresso grinder now, lol.

+1 to The Kid !! How's the home-roasting working out?

I'd really like to try to roast my own too, but we have a very good local roaster - and IDK if I'd be patient enough to do it myself.

Did you ever find an espresso grinder too?
    If not, and you're on a budget, check out Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder. Can be found online for about $100. We've used ours for about 1.5 years, used it almost every single day and it still runs like new - I highly recommend it.

• amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Yes I'm still at it guys. Definitely not an everyday type of thing due to time required but it's a nice weekend hobby or when you've got the time.

I've actually got the roasting process down pretty good. I moved the heat gun up from my first roast because it went too fast and now I kind of move it closer or farther away during the roast depending on how slow or fast it seems to be going. It has taken me some time but I'm getting it done in the 12 - 13 min time range which is good.

I really like roasting myself because you can watch it and get the roast level suited for your tastes. The set up I'm using is really inexpensive and doesn't cost much to get started or try. There are a lot of websites for info. Sweet Marias is a good site. One tip on the heat gun though. Take the protective plastic shield / cover off of the front of the gun. The heat seems to reflect back up from inside the bread machine and will melt the cover and it will fall off which you don't want to happen in the middle of your roast.

For the espresso machine the hardest part has been adjusting the grind of the beans, the amount of coffee in the basket, and the tamp pressure to get that perfect shot. This is where you have to practice and the more you do it the better you get. I still struggle with this sometimes. I need more practice. I've actually gotten pretty good at steaming the milk.

I'm using a Baratza Encore grinder now and I'm looking to upgrade that first. Espresso has a lot to due with the grind of the beans and the Encore works pretty well but I'm looking to upgrade. Then maybe an upgrade on the machine itself, something newer. Some of the nice machines are big $$$ though.

Haven't taken many pics but here are a few that I've taken.

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    Yes I'm still at it guys. Definitely not an everyday type of thing due to time required but it's a nice weekend hobby or when you've got the time.

I've actually got the roasting process down pretty good. I moved the heat gun up from my first roast because it went too fast and now I kind of move it closer or farther away during the roast depending on how slow or fast it seems to be going. It has taken me some time but I'm getting it done in the 12 - 13 min time range which is good.

I really like roasting myself because you can watch it and get the roast level suited for your tastes. The set up I'm using is really inexpensive and doesn't cost much to get started or try. There are a lot of websites for info. Sweet Marias is a good site. One tip on the heat gun though. Take the protective plastic shield / cover off of the front of the gun. The heat seems to reflect back up from inside the bread machine and will melt the cover and it will fall off which you don't want to happen in the middle of your roast.

For the espresso machine the hardest part has been adjusting the grind of the beans, the amount of coffee in the basket, and the tamp pressure to get that perfect shot. This is where you have to practice and the more you do it the better you get. I still struggle with this sometimes. I need more practice. I've actually gotten pretty good at steaming the milk.

I'm using a Baratza Encore grinder now and I'm looking to upgrade that first. Espresso has a lot to due with the grind of the beans and the Encore works pretty well but I'm looking to upgrade. Then maybe an upgrade on the machine itself, something newer. Some of the nice machines are big $$$ though.

looks good man, looks good
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, just curious...do you smoke cigarette?
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    rzaman:
    Andrew, just curious...do you smoke cigarette?
    I used to. Quit about 4 years ago. Haven't had one since then. I smoke about 3 - 4 cigars a week.
    The Kid:
    amz1301:

looks good man, looks good
    +1, lookin real good.
    got me jonesin' for a cup of espresso now. yum

Bumps

Had to find this thread again after Dan (Toombes) got talkin' about a good cup of coffee yesterday....

If any of y'all haven't tried pour-over before --- give it a shot if you get the opportunity.
    The brew method gives an entirely different experience than what you'd get from a standard electric drip pot. It takes a little practice, but once you get the coffee:water ratio and brewing technique down, the difference is tremendous.

Wanted to share a pic of our daily setup too:
    Bodum Bistro Burr Grinder
    Chemex 8-cup coffeemaker with natural square filter
    (cheap-o) Water Kettle we got on sale. I've gotten pretty good at controlling the pour but a gooseneck would make life a lot easier, want to upgrade at some point in time....

• thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    oh yeah the pour over great, i also have used presses, kureg and the good ol' drip, i prefer the drip and fresh ground casi cielo from starbucks,
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    oh yeah the pour over great, i also have used presses, kureg and the good ol' drip, i prefer the drip and fresh ground casi cielo from starbucks,
    i like the french press think it gives alitle more flavor.especially if your using better coffee
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I'v been trying to break into the coffee realm for a little while. Started out with the folgers blends, the dark roast is kinda good. Then started on the Starbucks cafe' verona. I like it better.
    One God, One Truth
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    twistedstem:
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    i like the french press think it gives alitle more flavor.especially if your using better coffee
    I like the french press too..... problem is I have a 4 cup press and I drink the whole thing..... but it is a great cup of joe...i great big cup o joe
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    twistedstem:
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    I like the french press too..... problem is I have a 4 cup press and I drink the whole thing..... but it is a great cup of joe...i great big cup o joe
    You need to get the 10 cupper...oh yeah..2 big mugs of that Shizz and you're ready to roll! I love my French press
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    jadelt:
    twistedstem:
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    Casa Cielo is a great blend. Just always hard to find.

Been making "mason jar" cold brew/iced coffee these past couple weeks since the weather's been hot.

Grind the beans real coarse (just shy of the "french press" setting).
    Then fill a 1-quart mason jar with about 3.25 cups warm (not hot) water and stir in about 1/2 cup ground coffee.
    Set it in the fridge for 12-ish hours, then strain out the grounds.

Pour into a mug with a few ice cubes; delicious!

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Been making "mason jar" cold brew/iced coffee these past couple weeks since the weather's been hot.

Grind the beans real coarse (just shy of the "french press" setting).
    Then fill a 1-quart mason jar with about 3.25 cups warm (not hot) water and stir in about 1/2 cup ground coffee.
    Set it in the fridge for 12-ish hours, then strain out the grounds.

Pour into a mug with a few ice cubes; delicious!
    Love me some ice coffee, timmy Horton's yum yum
    Necro Bump for morgangeo.

Got a Rwandan dark roast from a new roaster downtown near our old house...it was average but price was a little above average. Had some Sumatra mandehling beans from a roaster in BG near in-laws house recently too, now that's as good. And the price was right, going to swing by & get more when we go up for Xmas.
    Almost out of those, and no other fresh beans at home,.,wish there was a decent roaster on this side of town but all we have are charbucks and Tim hortons, ick. Will have to make a trip downtown tomorrow at lunch to pick up a pound of beans from stauffs ... Idk what I'll get though, they have a few dozen different beans to choose from...
    Edit: Went with a pound of Costa Rica Vienna beans....looking forward to making this tomorrow AM.

• MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks buddy
    Dang....last post here was in December!!??!?

I know y'all have been brewin' some good cups since then.

Now that the weather's starting to warm up, wife and I have been making affogatos the last couple weekends (scoop of ice cream with espresso poured over top)....mmm, so good. Wife gets fancy gelato flavors, I just prefer a scoop of vanilla, put a scoop or two in a coffee mug .... then brew up a nice, finely ground vienna or french roast in the moka pot .... pour over top of the ice cream ... and drizzle a little chocolate or caramel sauce over top if you want to be "fancy"....yum oh so good. Hope to enjoy one tomorrow afternoon with a cigar on the front porch if the weather's nice.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Love Casi Cielo. A really good idea I saw at a little coffee place in FL was they took fresh brewed coffee and made ice cubes out of it. This way, when you ordered an iced coffee, you got coffee cubes so your drink didn't get watered down. Takes a bit more prep work and must add a lot to their cost but a really cool idea.
    Does anyone buy online or do shade grown etc...? I'm located in the Folgers 5lb can region of taste. I'd like to experiment with different darker roasts out there.
    trade cigars for coffee???
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Does anyone buy online or do shade grown etc...? I'm located in the Folgers 5lb can region of taste. I'd like to experiment with different darker roasts out there.
    Thats a good idea. If i find some ill let you know. I too am in an investigational phase of coffee.
    One God, One Truth
    Bigshizza:
    Jimbo.... a couple of my favorite local roasters will ship - you can either order from their websites or call their shop and talk to someone who will recommend coffees for you. Real knowledgeable people. Look up Silverbridge Coffee in Gallipolis OH, Stauf's Coffee in Grandview OH, and Ground for Thought in Bowling Green OH.
    Can't go wrong with any of those.

jgibv:
    Bigshizza:
    Jimbo.... a couple of my favorite local roasters will ship - you can either order from their websites or call their shop and talk to someone who will recommend coffees for you. Real knowledgeable people. Look up Silverbridge Coffee in Gallipolis OH, Stauf's Coffee in Grandview OH, and Ground for Thought in Bowling Green OH.
    Can't go wrong with any of those.
    Thanks John, the Kirkland brand is Starbucks, which is good but I've enjoyed the coffee you and Luke sent. I used to have a really good Co-op I used to get different types that I'd buy bulk from and I really miss it.