Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Well, I think I may be closing in on coffee that I can taste. This morning I set the grinder for 3 cups but still on the coarsest setting. I've got some Tanzanian Peaberry beans I'm using up so I used the full amount the grinder produced with two cups (16 oz) of water in the press, steeped for 5 minutes. And there WAS flavor. Not a lot, but I tasted something.

I believe the grinder is programmed to think that a cup is the standard 6oz coffee cup so it ground enough for 18oz of water. Two ounces isn't a big difference but I think it made the coffee just a tad bit stronger.

In any case, the quest continues.....
    A good clip from Alton Brown on a French press. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhATyrOHrc
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    A good clip from Alton Brown on a French press. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lhATyrOHrc

Thanks, Jason. I just watched it and, while I'm doing most of what he says, I disagree on his firm stance regarding steeping time. According to him, four minutes is chiseled in granite but I've spoken to others including a barista at Peets and I'm told that the steeping time is up to the individual making the coffee but shouldn't be less than four minutes. Five or even five and a half minutes are not unheard of....

It depends on whether you want stronger coffee or not. In my case, stronger is probably better (even if it's a little bitter) because I'm trying for coffee I can taste with my cockamamie taste buds...
  • Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    jlmarta:
    EoL:
    jlmarta:
    EoL:
    not quite the coarsest grind but close to. The coarsest would be used for a turkish press. French press is close behind! haha :)

So out of 16 settings between coarse and fine, would you recommend the next step down from coarsest or which? I'm a total noob with the coffee thing and am open to advice from more learned folks in this regard. As stated before, my goal is to find a coffee I can taste.
    Try going 2 down from the coarsest grind. You are using a french press right?

Correct. A 20oz version - good for only 2 cups since my wife likes her drip coffee.... I'll crank the coarseness down 2 clicks and give that a try. Thank ya, kind sir.... :-/)
    Also, have you looked up the proper technique for a french press? just checking
  • Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    jlmarta:
    EoL:
    jlmarta:
    EoL:
    not quite the coarsest grind but close to. The coarsest would be used for a turkish press. French press is close behind! haha :)

So out of 16 settings between coarse and fine, would you recommend the next step down from coarsest or which? I'm a total noob with the coffee thing and am open to advice from more learned folks in this regard. As stated before, my goal is to find a coffee I can taste.
    Try going 2 down from the coarsest grind. You are using a french press right?

Correct. A 20oz version - good for only 2 cups since my wife likes her drip coffee.... I'll crank the coarseness down 2 clicks and give that a try. Thank ya, kind sir.... :-/)
    Also, have you looked up the proper technique for a french press? just checking
  • Options
    EoL:
    ....Also, have you looked up the proper technique for a french press? just checking

I have. I also watched a video by Alton Brown that was recommended to me this morning. I'm doing all that he suggests except for the steeping time. He's evidently married to the concept of a four-minute steep whereas other research I've done says a longer steep is okay but not a shorter one. I'm currently using five and a half minutes looking for stronger flavor... :-)
  • Options
    Okay, something new this morning. The Aged Sumatra from Peets was okay and probably would have been much better if my taste buds would only come home. But now it's all gone and I'm trying the Major Dickason's blend, also from Peets.

I ground enough for 2 cups in my French press and let it steep for 5 1/2 minutes. There's a faint taste of coffee. It shows promise.

Tomorrow, I'll grind enough for 3 cups but will still use only 2 cups of water, steeping for the now normal 5 1/2 minutes. Eventually, I hope to hit the right combination of blend and strength and be able to taste, dare I say it, COFFEE. Stay tuned.....
  • Options
    Okay, time for an update I guess. I'm still grinding enough Major Dickason's blend for three cups but using only two cups of water. Slowly, a little at a time, I think I'm beginning to taste it. When I use up the beans I have, I'll try some other blend. I guess I'm not gonna luck out and find what I'm looking for anytime soon.

Meanwhile, I've added a little twist to my French press technique. I wrap a basket-type paper filter over the foot of the plunger so that when I'm done pressing it, I don't end up pouring the 'sludge' into my cup along with the coffee. This method works quite well but is very slow. You have to take your time forcing the coffee through the filter or you could break the press decanter and scald yourself with hot coffee. I'm just not a fan of that yucky sludge in my coffee.....
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I have a coffee question. I've recently become interested in making a little fancier coffee. Keurig is nice and convenient, but I am looking at a Chemex and want to try some good whole bean blends..

I havent needed a grinder with the keurig (I buy ground when I use refillable kcups) but with the chemex and whole beans I will. I have read up on blade vs. Burr and I see why burr is preferred... but im cheap and just cannot buy a $100 plus grinder. Is a blade better than a cheap, handcrank burr? How important is grind for a chemex and would blade be ok?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Ok, I have a coffee question. I've recently become interested in making a little fancier coffee. Keurig is nice and convenient, but I am looking at a Chemex and want to try some good whole bean blends..

I havent needed a grinder with the keurig (I buy ground when I use refillable kcups) but with the chemex and whole beans I will. I have read up on blade vs. Burr and I see why burr is preferred... but im cheap and just cannot buy a $100 plus grinder. Is a blade better than a cheap, handcrank burr? How important is grind for a chemex and would blade be ok?

I found a very good burr grinder on eBay for less than $50. There are still some avaailable in that price range. i really like mine and all its features..... The brand is Ariete in case you want to look at them. I'm currently working my way through a pound of pure Kona coffee. Pretty good stuff.....
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:

I'm all about my Keurig man. I'm so damn lazy. Heck, sometimes I wish I had a midget to hold my cigar up to my mouth after a heavy meal
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Gray4lines:

I'm all about my Keurig man. I'm so damn lazy. Heck, sometimes I wish I had a midget to hold my cigar up to my mouth after a heavy meal
    Haha! I have loved mine so far. Had it for over 2 years... I have been doing the reusable kcup thing alot which is a little hassle compared to the pods. I just want to try something a little different, and maybe do the chemex when I want more than one cup or a big thermos.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

I found a very good burr grinder on eBay for less than $50. There are still some avaailable in that price range. i really like mine and all its features..... The brand is Ariete in case you want to look at them. I'm currently working my way through a pound of pure Kona coffee. Pretty good stuff.....
    I just saw your grinder in this thread. It looks nice. If I could stay at $50 or less, That's perfect for me.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I just saw your grinder in this thread. It looks nice. If I could stay at $50 or less, That's perfect for me.

Check out item number 131077926660 on eBay. $48.95 when I last looked....
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We lost tons of coffee making equipment in a storm and have had to go pedestrian. Number 5 grind Sumatra from Starbucks is working fairly well for me. 2 big mugs a day with an occasional iced 2nd cup. It is definitely cigar friendly.

One of the coffee makers we lost was a big bright colored and transparent unit that sucked up the coffee into a carafe on top. People would come over for coffee just to watch it work. Got to the point I was thinking about charging admission.

I generally disdain flavored coffees. But, honorknight7 sent me some "Turtle" coffee and it went well with Hatuey cigars, and I am thinking about using it with Pyrat Rum for a change up on my world famous "Irish" coffee.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

Check out item number 131077926660 on eBay. $48.95 when I last looked....
    Thanks for the help Marty. I will be doing some research and will search around the 'bay too. I never thought that coffee grinders could be so fancy... Always grew up with a simple blade grinder.

Anyone else use a chemex? How do you grind?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    use one almost everyday.

on a scale of 1 - 10:
    1 being the finest espresso grind your grinder can do
    and 10 be the coarsest french press grind....
    i'd be at about a 6.5 - 7 for the chemex

slumptown has a pretty good brew-guide on their site, if you haven't seen it already take a look:
    http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/chemex/

(and personally, i prefer unbleached/natural filters as opposed to the bleached/white ones)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:
    use one almost everyday.

on a scale of 1 - 10:
    1 being the finest espresso grind your grinder can do
    and 10 be the coarsest french press grind....
    i'd be at about a 6.5 - 7 for the chemex

slumptown has a pretty good brew-guide on their site, if you haven't seen it already take a look:
    http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/chemex/

(and personally, i prefer unbleached/natural filters as opposed to the bleached/white ones)
    You still using that bodum bistro grinder?

What size chemex do you have? I am considering an 8 cup (I know they measure in 5oz cups) but I am the only coffee drinker so I'd just be making some for a thermos is I do more than a few cups.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:

What size chemex do you have? I am considering an 8 cup (I know they measure in 5oz cups) but I am the only coffee drinker so I'd just be making some for a thermos is I do more than a few cups.
    yes, still using the bodum grinder every single day. love it. it's still going strong.
    my only complaint is that we got the white colored one and it's not "bright white" anymore, like it was when we first got it. it's a little faded in a couple areas (probably from the oils from the beans.

and yes we have the 8 cup model (and i hate how they measure in 5 oz cups, always throws me off).
    it's a nice size. just about perfect for 2 (larger sized) mugs.
    if you have big mugs like we do (16-20 oz), and ever drink more than 1 cup at a time, I'd say go with the 8 cup model.

• Options
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:

yes, still using the bodum grinder every single day. love it. it's still going strong.
    my only complaint is that we got the white colored one and it's not "bright white" anymore, like it was when we first got it. it's a little faded in a couple areas (probably from the oils from the beans.

and yes we have the 8 cup model (and i hate how they measure in 5 oz cups, always throws me off).
    if you have big mugs like we do (16-20 oz), and ever drink more than 1 cup at a time, I'd say go with the 8 cup model.
    Thanks!! I will go 8 cup.

Oh, about the filters. Do you notice a taste difference in the natural vs. bleached? Or just a preference.

All this grnder research has me thinking... I can maybe get a $30-$50 model today along with the chemex... or I could get a cheapo blade grinder for now and maybe go with a better model for Christmas or something. I definitely don't want to skimp now only to have a cheaper model crap out on me in a year. Besides... whats another $50 if it's worth it to move up into the $100 range in the long run?
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:

Oh, about the filters. Do you notice a taste difference in the natural vs. bleached? Or just a preference.

All this grnder research has me thinking... I can maybe get a $30-$50 model today along with the chemex... or I could get a cheapo blade grinder for now and maybe go with a better model for Christmas or something. I definitely don't want to skimp now only to have a cheaper model crap out on me in a year. Besides... whats another $50 if it's worth it to move up into the $100 range in the long run?

I'm not trying to sell anything here, but the Lello Ariete that I pointed out to you for $48.95 regularly sells in the $100 range. Jus' sayin'.....??
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:

I'm not trying to sell anything here, but the Lello Ariete that I pointed out to you for $48.95 regularly sells in the $100 range. Jus' sayin'.....??
    Smart thinking Gray...get a less $$ grinder now and if you wanna upgrade later it'd make a great gift item to ask for. I don't doubt that Marty's grinder works just as well as mine....when I was researching and looking to buy one a few years back, the bodum seemed to have the most favorable reviews for the price and features I wanted. But like I said that was a few years back (in 2010?!?) so I'm sure thing have changed since then, I'd still recommend the bodum but for half the price I'd give Marty's a shot if I was in the market for one now. And I've used both bleached and unbleached paper....always rinsed both first before using but noticed a little papery taste with the bleached.....if I rinsed it twice though it seemed to be fine...I'd recommend the un bleached but I'd say give both a try and decide for yourself.

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Yay chemex! God I love it... Nothing better for light roast beans man. Gets me Jacked! I'm going to order a ton of Haitian beans here soon. I'll report my findings when I do.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Do you all have any advice on a coffee for someone with horrible acid reflux ?
    I Love coffee, used to drink several pots a day until a few years back, I like starbucks Pikes Place blend (if that helps on flavor) but it seems that the older I get the worse the acid reflux is getting, I cant have more than 1 cup without throwing up acidic bile the rest of the day and through the night the last year now
    I have switched to herbal teas, peppermint herbal tea seams to be the best for not bothering me for my "hot" drink, & I drink 2 -3 glasses of regular lipton iced tea without sugar almost every day without issue, but the herbal hot tea just isn't the same or as satisfying as a good cup of coffee, would love to be able to drink several cups ( a day :D ) without trouble
    I take nexium for the problem (since 2006) and it helps a lot with foods, but coffee cuts right through the pill, I still enjoy a cup or two now and then (I like my coffee black, no sugar) I just have to be ready to pay the toll for having it for the rest of the day/night
    Thanks
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Always appreciated, Marty. I will seriously look into that one. I still need to decide exactly what features I want in one.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Yay chemex! God I love it... Nothing better for light roast beans man. Gets me Jacked! I'm going to order a ton of Haitian beans here soon. I'll report my findings when I do.
    Yes, I had never herd of chemex until your reviews! Looked too damn cool.
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Wow. I didn't think there was so much to coffee. I'm scared to say I just toss in a Nespresso capsule in fear I'll be hung in effigy. This forum has a lot of wisdom, man. I guess you never know what you're missing until you've tasted the grass on the other side. My wife and I love coffee, so I'm going to try this fresh roasting, grinding, and brewing bit.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Wow. I didn't think there was so much to coffee. I'm scared to say I just toss in a Nespresso capsule in fear I'll be hung in effigy. This forum has a lot of wisdom, man. I guess you never know what you're missing until you've tasted the grass on the other side. My wife and I love coffee, so I'm going to try this fresh roasting, grinding, and brewing bit.

My friend, I was thinking the same thing except the capsule part. I drink a cup o joe all the time from a coffee pot. And every now and then I grind some beans fresh. But straight to my coffee pot. Now I'm looking at all this, thanks Pops(Marty) :)

• Options
    RCY Cigars:
    .....I drink a cup o joe all the time from a coffee pot. And every now and then I grind some beans fresh. But straight to my coffee pot. Now I'm looking at all this, thanks Pops(Marty) :)

You're very welcome, Rick. I really hope to learn from all this experimenting. Before the chemo and surgery f'cked around with my taste buds I pretty much had a coffee cup in my hand at all times. Just regular electric percolator coffee, but coffee nonetheless. Now, I can taste most things except for the coffee. And I really love how a good coffee pairs with a good smoke.

So now I'm tasting as many fine (read 'expensive') coffees as I can, looking for any that I can taste and which taste good to me. As I said earlier, I'm currently working my way through a pound of Kona. After that I'll order a pound of Jamaican Blue Mountain beans and try those. The jury's still out on whether I'll try the Kopi Luwak but based only on the cost of it. I have no qualms about its source. Unfortunately, like cigars, the world of coffee blends is practically limitless and impossible to try all of them. But hey, Dude, I'm trying..........??
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are way into coffee. I buy beans and grind my own but it all gets made in a Bunn Velocity Brew BT. Keeps a tank of water heated to the right temperature and has a full pot brewed in under 5 minutes. The insulated pot allows me to grab it and take it on the road.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes, I had never herd of chemex until your reviews! Looked too damn cool.
    I always had to have cream because coffee gave me heartburn until I went Chemex bro. The finish is so clean, its the best, and you really can tell what notes are there, especially when blending. On that review, I reviewed Tanzanian and Kenyan, then immediately after blended the two. Holy moly...talk about a dark fruit bomb. That's what I have been drinking this week. Light roast peaberrys make a great base for blending. All I can say is, get the teapot, get the chemex, a decent grinder, and thank me later. I just prep my lunch while I am making the coffee.