Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Allllllllright, so I just read through all 19 pages of this thread and I think I'm fairly up-to-date. Marty, I've really enjoyed all your input man, it's been interesting to see how your experimentation develops! Peet's Coffee was my go-to in California, to start because it was better than Starbucks and then later because my girlfriend managed one and I got free coffee (winning). Marty, whenever you make your way through the bag you're working on now, try looking up Peet's J.R. Reserve; I think it's probably their most high-end coffee (not sure), but man it is the most amazing coffee I've ever had. Make sure to prepare it in that pour-over you have (by the way, I've used a Melitta for years and it's good to go), and I suspect you won't look back. I'm a guy that likes my coffee black, no sugar, but my sister always has to have a mountain of sugar and cream in hers; I made her a cup of pour-over J.R. Reserve Christmas morning of 2011 and she STILL raves about the only cup of coffee she could drink black. I also recall you mentioning thinking about trying Kopi Luwak coffee - don't bother man, you would be totally disappointed. It's a fine coffee, flavorful, but quite light-bodied; I found it much more akin to a tea than a proper coffee.

Anywho, I've never roasted my own coffee, but I've kicked around the idea for a bit recently and I can see myself getting into it in a few months (moving properties, will have some more space + some outdoor space given the comments I've read about the smell). I've already sourced a distributor for green beans here, so it's just a matter of the hardware. In the meantime I'm making my way through a big bag of Kirkland Rwandan (whole bean) that I grind daily and use in a Melitta pour-over (I only drink one cup a day).

I have, however, planned seriously to build an artisan coffee shop here in Sevilla (as part of a larger project, not as the feature); coffee in Spain is a very simple thing - cafe con leche being the primary drink and universally sold for around €1.50 - and anything other than espresso drinks are essentially unheard of here. When that project comes to completion things should get pretty interesting, and I'll have a place to experiment more :-).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Allllllllright, so I just read through all 19 pages of this thread and I think I'm fairly up-to-date. Marty, I've really enjoyed all your input man, it's been interesting to see how your experimentation develops! Peet's Coffee was my go-to in California, to start because it was better than Starbucks and then later because my girlfriend managed one and I got free coffee (winning). Marty, whenever you make your way through the bag you're working on now, try looking up Peet's J.R. Reserve; I think it's probably their most high-end coffee (not sure), but man it is the most amazing coffee I've ever had. Make sure to prepare it in that pour-over you have (by the way, I've used a Melitta for years and it's good to go), and I suspect you won't look back. I'm a guy that likes my coffee black, no sugar, but my sister always has to have a mountain of sugar and cream in hers; I made her a cup of pour-over J.R. Reserve Christmas morning of 2011 and she STILL raves about the only cup of coffee she could drink black. I also recall you mentioning thinking about trying Kopi Luwak coffee - don't bother man, you would be totally disappointed. It's a fine coffee, flavorful, but quite light-bodied; I found it much more akin to a tea than a proper coffee.

Anywho, I've never roasted my own coffee, but I've kicked around the idea for a bit recently and I can see myself getting into it in a few months (moving properties, will have some more space + some outdoor space given the comments I've read about the smell). I've already sourced a distributor for green beans here, so it's just a matter of the hardware. In the meantime I'm making my way through a big bag of Kirkland Rwandan (whole bean) that I grind daily and use in a Melitta pour-over (I only drink one cup a day).

I have, however, planned seriously to build an artisan coffee shop here in Sevilla (as part of a larger project, not as the feature); coffee in Spain is a very simple thing - cafe con leche being the primary drink and universally sold for around €1.50 - and anything other than espresso drinks are essentially unheard of here. When that project comes to completion things should get pretty interesting, and I'll have a place to experiment more :-).

Wow! Hello, David. Good to hear from you. Thank you very much for your input. I hadn't heard of Peet's J.R. Reserve but I'll sure look into it. I don't much care for Charbucks and I keep running onto others who feel the same way about them.

I still have my Melitta but I don't use it anymore since I stumbled onto the Clever Dripper. The Melitta was fine except for the lack of steeping time control.

I'm also glad to hear your take on the Kopi Luwak. Now I won't have to fret over the fact that I haven't tasted it. Particularly after I've learned about all the fake KL's out there for sale. I've got better uses for my money. Besides, I seem to require a fuller-bodied coffee in order to placate my wonky taste buds. That's why I like the Clever Dripper.

I have a new friend who is a coffee roaster as well as a cigar smoker. In fact, he recently joined our community - his moniker is peter4jc. He can probably be very informative along the lines of roasting. I've already learned a bit from him.

Keep in touch, Big Guy.....??

Edit: Wow again!!. I just looked up Peet's J.R.Reserve and, while it sounds very intriguing, I doubt I'll be trying it any time soon. I've tried Kona coffee and Jamaican Blue Mountain and thought they were good but a bit pricey. At $50 a lb, I think the J.R.Reserve is just a tad out of my reach. It would have to be infused with powdered gold to be worth that price to me..... ??
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ok... so my coffee addiction is getting to the point were buying cups of coffee is getting expensive.
    so i am going all in and purchasing a french press, a burr grinder, and will begin purchasing whole beans.

i am aiming lower end to start and will upgrade as needed. since i will not be using an espresso machine and will only be using a french press with a larger grain, the consistency of the grind is my only issue, no issues with how fine it gets. i also dont mind a little "sludge" in the bottom of the cup.

the grinder i am looking at currently is the Cuisinart DBM-8FR Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill.
    has anybody used this grinder? any thoughts on it?

i have the french press figured out. metal and glass only since the acidity in coffee slowly breaks down plastic. any other thoughts on french press?
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Next you will be getting your own green beans to roast. Lol
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I love espresso, but I had to get off the caffeine train so I get decaf now. I bought a small espresso machine and with Starbucks decaf espresso, I make drinks better than them.

Nothing quite like a handmade espresso with a handrolled smoke!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Cappuccino with cinnamon and brown sugar. . .
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ok... so my coffee addiction is getting to the point were buying cups of coffee is getting expensive.
    so i am going all in and purchasing a french press, a burr grinder, and will begin purchasing whole beans.

i am aiming lower end to start and will upgrade as needed. since i will not be using an espresso machine and will only be using a french press with a larger grain, the consistency of the grind is my only issue, no issues with how fine it gets. i also dont mind a little "sludge" in the bottom of the cup.

the grinder i am looking at currently is the Cuisinart DBM-8FR Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill.

i have the french press figured out. metal and glass only since the acidity in coffee slowly breaks down plastic. any other thoughts on french press?
    Let me STRONGLY impress upon you the value of forgetting the Cuisinart and stepping up to a conical burr grinder. The Baratza Encore will perform much, MUCH, better, and last a lot, LOT, longer. The service guys at Baratza are available by phone to walk you through any problems, should they arise. I bought a used Baratza Virtuoso on craigslist that stopped working shortly after getting it home. I called them, they spent 20min. on the phone with me to diagnose things, and sent me free parts (not even for shipping).

With a press pot, you don't necessarily have to grind coarsely. That 'rule' was started a long time ago in an effort to reduce sludge, which it really doesn't do. A press pot does need a good grinder, capable of uniform particle size, since the too-small bits will over-extract while they're waiting for the too-coarse bits which are prone to under-extraction. So you're on the right path, opting for a burr grinder.

The grind size is on a teeter-totter with steep-time on the other end. If you can tolerate some sludge, then you're better of grinding finer and steeping shorter.

At the risk of coming off like I'm self-promoting (I'm not, and only want to help people make their coffee world a more beautiful place) feel free to visit my business' site; www.theexcellentcup.com. I'm semi-retired, and have been roasting for over ten years, but my income from coffee won't be made or broken by whether or not I find another customer or two. I just really love helping people get more out of their coffee.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Next you will be getting your own green beans to roast. Lol

Roasting your own coffee isn't rocket science, and can be great fun.

There's a great forum for homeroasters at www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com. I'm one of the original members there, as well as one of the distributors who buy full bags of coffee to distribute to the members; the last few years, I've moved over 1,000 per month.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    kuzi16:

Let me STRONGLY impress upon you the value of forgetting the Cuisinart and stepping up to a conical burr grinder. The Baratza Encore will perform much, MUCH, better, and last a lot, LOT, longer. The service guys at Baratza are available by phone to walk you through any problems, should they arise. I bought a used Baratza Virtuoso on craigslist that stopped working shortly after getting it home. I called them, they spent 20min. on the phone with me to diagnose things, and sent me free parts (not even for shipping).

With a press pot, you don't necessarily have to grind coarsely. That 'rule' was started a long time ago in an effort to reduce sludge, which it really doesn't do. A press pot does need a good grinder, capable of uniform particle size, since the too-small bits will over-extract while they're waiting for the too-coarse bits which are prone to under-extraction. So you're on the right path, opting for a burr grinder.

The grind size is on a teeter-totter with steep-time on the other end. If you can tolerate some sludge, then you're better of grinding finer and steeping shorter.

At the risk of coming off like I'm self-promoting (I'm not, and only want to help people make their coffee world a more beautiful place) feel free to visit my business' site; www.theexcellentcup.com. I'm semi-retired, and have been roasting for over ten years, but my income from coffee won't be made or broken by whether or not I find another customer or two. I just really love helping people get more out of their coffee.
    some solid advice. especially with the finer grind and shorter steep time. one big issue though...

cash

since my world is in flux right now a quality conical burr grinder is a bit out of my price range.
    i am also very new to all of this and my level of buy-in is still fairly low.

if, when the grinder that i mentioned above breaks down or i become upset with the quality of the grind, i will re-assess if i am willing to make the $280 investment that your recommended higher quality grinder has to offer. really all i am looking for right now is "good enough"
    i do know that theCuisinart clearly isnt the best on the market and the features it as to offer are not top of the line.
    will it make better coffee than the gas station or starbusks or other ready made buy-by-the-cup places have to offer? i suspect yes.
    will it be able to grind to a level that a new guy will be able to taste the difference?
    im not convinced... especially at a price that is beyond my reach at this point.

that being said, i would love to learn more about why it is a better purchase so that in the future i will be able to make a more informed decision should i decide to take it to that level.
  • Options
    The Baratza Encore is for all intents and purposes equal to my Virtuoso, and can be had for $120. Baratza.com also has a page on their site for refurbs...

I understand cash being tight, believe me. But if it's say a $50 difference, and lasts longer, it's really only a few dollars per year over its lifetime.

The precursor to the Encore was the Maestro. There are a couple on ebay that might serve well.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    Crousefer:
    well first you have to train for 10 years as a Tibetan monk, next you must castrate a bull in spain during the run using only a can of tomatoes and not letting your cigar ashes fall. You must embark on a quest to drink from the legendary Tequila springs, and remain sober. And them finally you must meditate upon your teaching under a full moon where the first cigar leaf was folded. Or pretty much what rain said =)
    I thought this was how you got the latest Viaje release
    side note anyone ever had Deathwish Coffee?
    I have some deathwish coffee, my wife got some for me for Christmas. Very strong stuff
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    The Baratza Encore is for all intents and purposes equal to my Virtuoso, and can be had for $120. Baratza.com also has a page on their site for refurbs...

I understand cash being tight, believe me. But if it's say a $50 difference, and lasts longer, it's really only a few dollars per year over its lifetime.

The precursor to the Encore was the Maestro. There are a couple on ebay that might serve well.
    I looked hard at those baratza's when I was getting a grinder. They looked good. I ended up with a Bodum bistro burr grinder. The cuisinarts I saw were very similar in price, but it seemed like baratza encore and bodum were usually recommended for a lower end burr.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I looked hard at those baratza's when I was getting a grinder. They looked good. I ended up with a Bodum bistro burr grinder. The cuisinarts I saw were very similar in price, but it seemed like baratza encore and bodum were usually recommended for a lower end burr.
    +1

i'll second that.
    love the bistro. our's is still going strong after 4-5(?) years of daily use.....just clean it out every couple weeks and you're all set

can be found for right about $100 if you look around the web.
    best *new* grinder you can get for the price IMO.
    unless you're going up to the $250+ range I'd recommend the bodum bistro all day long.
    (just don't get the white colored model, only complaint is the color has faded/stained over time)

but if $100 is outside the budget ....
    maybe look at getting a cheap, manual burr grinder. a good one can be found for around $30 new .... as long as you have the time and don't mind grinding by hand, these can produce a very nice, consistent grind.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Baratza Encore still going strong here. Using it with the Rancilio Sylvia I got off Craigslist a few years ago and roasted green beans from my homemade roaster, when weather permits.

They've got refurb Encores on Baratzas website right now for $99, with a one year warranty. I would love to upgrade my setup someday to Expobar, Rocket, or Bezzera plus new grinder. Prices are insane though.

Moka pot is a nice inexpensive way to try a different style of coffee too.
  • Options
    Bumpity-bump
  • Options
    photo 887548E2-8C39-4D48-A433-50C16D1731FC_zpsiadc2ghx.jpg
  • Options
    amz1301:

Looks interesting. What's in it?? ??
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    amz1301:

Espresso, double shot ??
  • Options
    amz1301:
    jlmarta:
    amz1301:

Espresso, double shot ??

Ah, so. The color variation made me think of a latte... Looks good in any case.....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    amz1301:
    jlmarta:
    amz1301:

Espresso, double shot ??

Ah, so. The color variation made me think of a latte... Looks good in any case.....
    photo 636B6A6C-57A3-45D4-A041-913036962247_zpsvp5klo7v.jpg
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the saddle. From Peter Schmidt. (peter4jc)

It has been too long.

Mine is black.

• Options
    that is a great grinder JD.
    i think you'll enjoy it

• Options
    jgibv:
    that is a great grinder JD.
    i think you'll enjoy it
    Mines still going great. Very good grinder. I need more beans though
  • Options
    I'm relieved that the grinder arrived safely, and know you'll like the fine job it does. I really hope you enjoy the Sumatra, and wouldn't mind hearing some feedback. I have one more of the Bodum Bistros left in my inventory, NIB, a white one. $75, + postage.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I had recently found a great bean connect on amazon Gray, but the old man came down with cancer so hopefully he gets well and back to biz. If he gets back I'll post it up, 2.5lbs for about 25ish. Lately I've been enjoying Peruvian city roasts.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I had recently found a great bean connect on amazon Gray, but the old man came down with cancer so hopefully he gets well and back to biz. If he gets back I'll post it up, 2.5lbs for about 25ish. Lately I've been enjoying Peruvian city roasts.
    That's sad to hear, but that'd be great if he gets back into it. Not bad deal... I need to try some more types.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so I know its mainstream but received this coffee in a bomb today. the wife brewed up a batch for me (French press) and its really good!! never had this one before .very flavorful yet smooth with a hint of floral notes at the end. from crousefer photo IMG_20150408_16250_edit_1428524767029_zpstmopjk8h.jpg
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Finished up the last of the "old" beans in the grinder and gave it a good cleaning yesterday.

Tried out the El Salvador beans (from Seth's Coffee) that BRAD avengethis sent me in the Chemex this morning.
    My-oh-my, this is some good stuff. Super smooth. Might have to brew a "double" batch tomorrow morning; 1 mug for walking the dog & 1 mug to take to work.
    Very nice bean; little nuttiness, maybe some chocolatey and fruity flavors to it too?
    Thanks Brad!

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Finished up the last of the "old" beans in the grinder and gave it a good cleaning yesterday.

Tried out the El Salvador beans (from Seth's Coffee) that BRAD avengethis sent me in the Chemex this morning.
    My-oh-my, this is some good stuff. Super smooth. Might have to brew a "double" batch tomorrow morning; 1 mug for walking the dog & 1 mug to take to work.
    Very nice bean; little nuttiness, maybe some chocolatey and fruity flavors to it too?
    Thanks Brad!
    Your welcome. Anytime you want more or to try something new let me know. They rotate in beans and always have some incredible stuff to sample.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Finished up the El Salvador's (good stuff, but a little lighter than what we usually go for).....
    So got into the Kenyan beans this morning. Brewed them up in the Chemex, man! great stuff!

The El Salvador's were good, but I'm really diggin' these Kenya beans.

Thanks BRAD!!!!