Coffee

Comments

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying out some Guatemala Antigua in a French press today
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Finished up the El Salvador's (good stuff, but a little lighter than what we usually go for).....
    So got into the Kenyan beans this morning. Brewed them up in the Chemex, man! great stuff!

The El Salvador's were good, but I'm really diggin' these Kenya beans.

Thanks BRAD!!!!

Just let me know if you want me to get you more. I'll gladly pick up more and get them to you.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Anyone heard of Caffe Vita? I hadn't until I stayed a hotel in Savannah,GA that brews it in their restaurant. Stuff is awesome. Here is a link to my favorite blend: http://www.caffevita.com/shop/coffee/single-origin/peru-la-convencion.html
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For today's offering to the gods I'm burning a Perdomo Reserve 10th anniversary Champagne paired with a cuppa Monsooned Malabar, generously provided by none other than Peter4jc. Both are quite good. Thanks again, Peter. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    For today's offering to the gods I'm burning a Perdomo Reserve 10th anniversary Champagne paired with a cuppa Monsooned Malabar, generously provided by none other than Peter4jc. Both are quite good. Thanks again, Peter. 
    I can't believe you'd actually drink that stuff.  YUCK!   :D
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    jlmarta said:
    I can't believe you'd actually drink that stuff.  YUCK!   :D
    You doofus!  You're the one who pawned this stuff off on me.....  LOL. 

Actually, it's really quite smooth. Not as flavorful as some others but good, nonetheless....
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-24/review-is-a-gorgeous-pour-over-coffee-maker-worth-500-?cmpid=twtr1

This is fun...  an invention to automate what isn't really that hard to do in the first place.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I agree with the reviewer - it's nice but not THAT nice.....
  • Options
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-24/review-is-a-gorgeous-pour-over-coffee-maker-worth-500-?cmpid=twtr1

This is fun...  an invention to automate what isn't really that hard to do in the first place.

And I would add that no matter how sweet that machine is, it can't replicate what I can do.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

And I would add that no matter how sweet that machine is, it can't replicate what I can do.

+1
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coffee of the month subscription ran out recently......so picked up some costco brand (starbucks) on a whim and was pleasantly surprised at how drinkable it is. 

tasted similar to the starbuck's pike's place roast. 
    works pretty good for cold brew. and for the price can't complain.....(~$5/lb compared to $20/lb at the local roaster)

the costco beans are *ok* in the pourover & moka pot ..... but i'd probably prefer our local coffee shop's beans for those methods.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    **Necro thread alert!**

Just wanted to give a shout out to Peter @peter4jc ; for today's cup o'joe.

Cleaned out the grinder last night and dumped in the new Flores beans he sent me.

Got great results with these beans in the Chemex this morning....definitely a unique flavor profile.  I will be enjoying these all week!  Thanks!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words, Gibby!
  • Options
    Anybody using a french press?  I finally got mine and just wanted to get some pointers on things you have found works for you.  Obviously its like anything I need to find what I like.  The instructions say to use rounded tablespoons per cup but I have a food scale so more accurate measurements or a starting point would be good.

My biggest questions would be 1) How much coffee per 4oz cup are you using? 2) How long of a brew time do you like? 3) Right now I have a cheap blade grinder (getting a burr here soon) Should I stick with a more medium or coarse grind?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    FWIW, what I was able to learn on the Internet was that a ratio of about 15:1 works pretty well. I use 20 grams of coffee and 300 grams of water. That translates to roughly 12oz of brewed coffee. 

For my dripper, I generally grind my beans a little on the fine side of medium. You may want them ground a little coarser, IDK. 
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put about 1" in the bottom of my 1 liter carafe, pour near-boiling water over the grounds to about 3/4 of the way up, stir with a chopstick, pour boiling water over the screen before inserting it into the carafe part way down past the grounds, lift the cover up and fill the carafe  the rest of the way, let it sit a minute, push the plunger down an inch and then back up to clear the foam from the grounds. After another minute or two most of the grounds will have sunk, push the screen down all the way. Grind--if you find sediment troublesome use a coarser grind. Adjust the measurements and grind to taste and depending on the coffee and how it was roasted.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered this bad boy. Should be here Monday!

De'Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump. Just brewed some of @peter4jc 's Kenya beans. Wow, what a bright cup of coffee. Great stuff.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I just finished up brewing some of his Ethiopian. This is a really nice cup of coffee.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    I don't know how you can drink that crap.
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kuerig Cafe Bustelo for me. Yea I am the poor man's version of coffee. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now the handle @Rockethead26 is starting to make sense, you are a rocket scientists aren't  you. Nice brew rig
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    See the post directly above yours.  :smile:
    look Bean Man I need a degree to figure this coffee hobby out. One day soon I am dropping an order. I know I will least get 4 Gran Habano's back ❤️
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice setup @Rockethead26
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very slick setup @Rockethead26, thanks for sharing :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    The brother is hardcore, drilling a hole in his sink for the water supply line.
  • Options
    Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    The brother is hardcore, drilling a hole in his sink for the water supply line.
    Yeah, it was easier and less damaging (it's an acrylic sink) than drilling thru the granite. It's so nice not having to refill a machine every night before bed. Yes, I am spoiled rotten. There's a water filter system under the sink, too. It's a sickness, just like cigars.
    Life is good, don't waste it.