Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElJimbo said:
    jlmarta said:
    I recall a few times when someone would get a percolator going on a verboten hot plate in a paint locker somewhere and then get busy and forget about it for a few days. By that time, all that was left was a thick, tarry substance in the bottom of the pot. 

We'd scoop out a spoonful, put it in our mug, and pour hot water over it. Molto buono....
    You mean espresso? :D

Where were you assigned?
    Fleet Sonar School, Key West, Florida - 1954-55. 

Not even close to espresso - more like pot sludge....
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.jbrookscoffeeroasters.com/default.asp

This is fantastic stuff if you're looking for another source.  Tanzanian Peaberry this morning is fantastic.  Light and bright but smooth and lingers richly in the mouth. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    ElJimboElJimbo Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    I've been reading that some of you have been roasting your own beans. Is there any special equipment involved?
    ¡Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado! -General Zapata
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yakster and I both use one of these: "http://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.html"
  • Options
    Yakster and I both use one of these: "http://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.html"
    A little out my price range. Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, kinda $$, but with excellent green beans at around $6/lb it will pay for itself (if you drink a lot of coffee).
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I started with a hot air popcorn popper I picked up cheap at a thrift store, but you can only roast a small amount of coffee at a time in one of those so after about a year I upgraded.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/air-popper-method

Check out the Sweet Maria's roasting library for ideas:  https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/roast-coffee/

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google SC/TO  it stands for Stir Crazy Turbo Oven... the best little roaster ever if you are at all handy and like to tinker a bit.  Can be made on the cheap if the scrounge for parts in thrift stores or ebay, or built for ~$100 if you want to buy new parts.

Here's a look at my set up from several years ago - not much has changed, and it'll give you an idea of what it'll do.
    https://sites.google.com/site/peter4jc/

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I like the air-popper idea, b'cause I like popcorn. :)
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you guys seen the new-ish coffee subscription service crema.co? 

i thought their site was "unique" because they keep track of what coffee's you've received, and make it very easy to reorder one's you like. 
    and you can filter out one's you disliked so you won't receive them again.

i think it's a good way to try new beans, and they make it very easy to keep track of what you've had.

you can get a free, 4-pack sampler if you sign up. https://crema.co/sampler
    i got the sampler a couple weeks ago and the beans are long gone.  i really liked the kenyan beans.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    They have a good list of roasters, one thing you need to watch is freshness of the coffee if the coffees are being shipped from the roaster to Crema.co and then shipped to subscribers, this can build in some delays if not managed properly.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    They have a good list of roasters, one thing you need to watch is freshness of the coffee if the coffees are being shipped from the roaster to Crema.co and then shipped to subscribers, this can build in some delays if not managed properly.
    You are correct @yakster ; and the sampler I received did come from Crema.co. 
    I can't remember if the bags had a roast date on them or not, but the beans tasted pretty good to me so I don't think they were that old LOL. 

And I believe if you order full bags, they are drop shipped directly from the roaster.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:

i thought their site was "unique" because they keep track of what coffee's you've received, and make it very easy to reorder one's you like. 

i think it's a good way to try new beans, and they make it very easy to keep track of what you've had.

i got the sampler a couple weeks ago and the beans are long gone.  i really liked the kenyan beans.
    Peter has a nice Kenyan, just sayin
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Usaf06 said:
    jgibv said:

That's what I had this morning.  And it's not $18 for 12oz., hehehe...  isn't it great, paying more for less.

BTW, I gave up a long time ago, caring who bought my coffee and who didn't; like my dad always said, "It's a free county."  I have plenty of friends, neighbors, church people who buy somewhere else.  I don't understand why they would do that, but hey, to each there own.  Maybe I'm an asshòle.
  • Options
    i've had @peter4jc 's brazil & columbia beans.  both very good. 

but summer is mason-jar "cold brew" season at my house. 
    so it's Kirkland brand cheap-o beans ($5/lb) from Costco for me.  not a bad deal when you're pouring it over ice, mixing in milk, vanilla & sweetener. 

but not the best beans for a hot pour-over or french press.....

• Options
    You are correct, sir.  Which reminds me, it's time to make a batch of cold-brew.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang.  Now I want a cold brew. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Usaf06 said:
    jgibv said:

That's what I had this morning.  And it's not $18 for 12oz., hehehe...  isn't it great, paying more for less.

BTW, I gave up a long time ago, caring who bought my coffee and who didn't; like my dad always said, "It's a free county."  I have plenty of friends, neighbors, church people who buy somewhere else.  I don't understand why they would do that, but hey, to each there own.  Maybe I'm an asshòle.
    wasn't trying to knock on @peter4jc ; or take anything away from the coffee he has....because the few bags of beans i've had from him have always been top notch. 

but we drink WAAYYYY too much coffee around here and the $10+/lb beans just aren't economical, the way we go through 'em.  (plus it was starting to cut into my beer budget too lol). so the $5/lb costco beans is where i'm at these days.

i just thought the concept, and "trackability" on crema.co was neat. 
    and you really gonna complain about a FREE sample, @usaf06 !??!!!

• Options
    I didn't see it that way, Gibby...  just wanted to make sure it didn't look like I was wondering why someone would buy stale beans at a way higher price.

If I didn't roast, I don't think I'd pay what I sell beans for; I'm too cheap for that, and that's one of the main reasons I started roasting.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today, I setup the grinder that Chris sent me followed the instructions and ground some coffee.  I then consulted his email and took out my scale.  Using the chemex and filters Chris also gave me I went to work.  I am using old cheap beans for now, peters beans are in the freezer for now until these are gone.  Any way even with old beans there is a world of difference from the coffee maker I have.  Thank you Chris for making my morning brighter.  And I am very much looking forward to getting to Peters stuff, I know how much better that stuff is.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Outstanding!  I hope you have fun and are able to add another great pleasure to your life; for the $$, coffee can add lots of enjoyment...  just keep it fun.  I know you like to play in the kitchen so this is right up your alley.

Plus, now you'll have something drinkable to pair with your RP's.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^Oh gawd, a whole new breed of coffee ****'s on the horizon ^^^^^
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, you might be getting some texts from me asking coffee questions, don't worry I'll wait until after 11.  Plus next Saturday when we stop by I think some more beans will be needed.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Ask away my friend.  But I have to warn you, you'll get general guidelines; the older I get the less geeky/**** I am because close enough is close enough, plus it's good for people to be pointed in the right direction and do their own exploring.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like geeat coffee in the morning 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Sad day, brewed the last of Peter's coffee, now I'll have to drink my own (#*!@ coffee.
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sitting here drinking folgers "classic roast". Think it's time to correct that and look into @peter4jc & Co.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Sad day, brewed the last of Peter's coffee, now I'll have to drink my own (#*!@ coffee.
    But only for two days, if you act fast.  o:)
  • Options
    Operators are standing by...
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But wait!!  There's more....