Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Its fall time now I am a seasonal coffee drinker and fine the cravings becoming more and more these days I'd like to try and roast my own but I'm not sure what that is going to entail, time, money, equipment. there are some local roast houses around, perhaps i'll start there.
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have too many other things to keep me busy so I'll leave the roasting to those who enjoy doing that sort of thing and who are undoubtedly better at it than I would be. Meanwhile, I'll concentrate on searching out new blends that I (hopefully) can taste and which taste good to me. There are sooo many to try - it's like looking for the one cigar you love more than any other.

Right now, I'm still working my way through a pound of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I also recently scored a pound of Peet's Holiday Blend and am getting acquainted with that. So far, I'm pleased with it. Next, I believe I'll order a bag o'beans of the Deadman's Reach blend by Ravens Brew Roasters. They tell me it's their most flavorful blend so I'll just find out about that.

And, last but not least, I'm really loving the Clever Coffee Dripper I recently acquired. Man! The difference controlled steep time makes is remarkable. I can't say enough good about it.

More progress reports as it occurs..... ??
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I have too many other things to keep me busy so I'll leave the roasting to those who enjoy doing that sort of thing and who are undoubtedly better at it than I would be. Meanwhile, I'll concentrate on searching out new blends that I (hopefully) can taste and which taste good to me. There are sooo many to try - it's like looking for the one cigar you love more than any other.

Right now, I'm still working my way through a pound of Jamaican Blue Mountain. I also recently scored a pound of Peet's Holiday Blend and am getting acquainted with that. So far, I'm pleased with it. Next, I believe I'll order a bag o'beans of the Deadman's Reach blend by Ravens Brew Roasters. They tell me it's their most flavorful blend so I'll just find out about that.

And, last but not least, I'm really loving the Clever Coffee Dripper I recently acquired. Man! The difference controlled steep time makes is remarkable. I can't say enough good about it.

Just ordered the clever dripper. Should be here Wed. Do you have an updated formula. I remember the ratio a few posts back, but I am sure you have tweaked it a few times since then.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    jlmarta:
    ...And, last but not least, I'm really loving the Clever Coffee Dripper I recently acquired. Man! The difference controlled steep time makes is remarkable. I can't say enough good about it.

Just ordered the clever dripper. Should be here Wed. Do you have an updated formula. I remember the ratio a few posts back, but I am sure you have tweaked it a few times since then.

At this point, I'm still sticking with 20 grams of beans to 300 ml of water but I think that'll change in the near future. For example, if you pour 300 ml of water in, you don't necessarily get 300 ml out. I don't have that part fine-tuned yet. Also, if you weigh out 20 grams of beans and grind them and then weigh the output I'm finding a discrepancy that I don't know how to explain.

Just some things for you to think about..... ??
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    rsherman24:
    jlmarta:
    ...And, last but not least, I'm really loving the Clever Coffee Dripper I recently acquired. Man! The difference controlled steep time makes is remarkable. I can't say enough good about it.

At this point, I'm still sticking with 20 grams of beans to 300 ml of water but I think that'll change in the near future. For example, if you pour 300 ml of water in, you don't necessarily get 300 ml out. I don't have that part fine-tuned yet. Also, if you weigh out 20 grams of beans and grind them and then weigh the output I'm finding a discrepancy that I don't know how to explain.

Just some things for you to think about..... ??

Cool. Will have to play around with it. I will have to test the burr grinder to see how accurate the portion size is. I'm sure it is not, but easier than weighing if close.
    Will let you know. Thanks
  • Options
    Okay, I think I've got the water problem doped out. This morning I poured exactly 300 ml of water over the grounds. When measuring the output I found I'd lost 25 ml to being absorbed into the grounds. So, tomorrow I'll pour 325 ml to begin with. Then we'll see where I go from there.

As for the beans, evidently I haven't been running the grinder long enough to grind all 20 grams of beans. I let it run longer this morning and weighed the output. I was surprised to find that I got 24 grams back on an investment of only 20 grams. Eureka!! That's a 20% return!! I'll be rich!! Oh, wait, hmmmm. That extra 4 grams must be from previous grindings where I didn't wait long enough. Oh, well. I'll keep an eye on this but I think I've got it figured out now. I'm such a dumbkopf..... ??
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Okay, I think I've got the water problem doped out. This morning I poured exactly 300 ml of water over the grounds. When measuring the output I found I'd lost 25 ml to being absorbed into the grounds. So, tomorrow I'll pour 325 ml to begin with. Then we'll see where I go from there.

As for the beans, evidently I haven't been running the grinder long enough to grind all 20 grams of beans. I let it run longer this morning and weighed the output. I was surprised to find that I got 24 grams back on an investment of only 20 grams. Eureka!! That's a 20% return!! I'll be rich!! Oh, wait, hmmmm. That extra 4 grams must be from previous grindings where I didn't wait long enough. Oh, well. I'll keep an eye on this but I think I've got it figured out now. I'm such a dumbkopf..... ??
    Measuring grams and mls. is too much work for me and my very novice taste for coffee.. I drive through at Dunkin Donuts "large coffee, cream, easy sugar' two dollars later I'm happy.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    ...... Measuring grams and mls. i too much work for me and my very novice taste for coffee.. I drive through at Dunkin Donuts "large coffee, cream, easy sugar' two dollars later I'm happy.

It sounds as if you're fortunate enough to have functioning taste buds that still recognize the flavor of coffee and I envy you that capability. My buds recognize most normal foods again but the taste of coffee still eludes me for the most part. Were it not for that little glitch, I'd agree with you and not go through all this rigamarole just to figure out what kind of coffee formula it'll take for me to be able to taste it. I do (did) love my coffee and I really miss it..... ??
  • Options
    Onward, lads. Ever onward and upward. The great coffee quest continues....

My latest acquisition, a bag of Deadman's Reach beans from Ravens Brew coffee roasters is on its way to my humble abode. Ought to arrive just in time for my current blend to reach depletion status.

I'm looking forward to trying this new one..... Anyone else already tried it?? Opinions??
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar.com sales coffee now, among other wines, meats and cheeses. I wonder if the coffee is good
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Cigar.com sales coffee now, among other wines, meats and cheeses. I wonder if the coffee is good

I noticed the new gourmet section. It'll be a short while before I get to checking out their coffee since I just received my order of Deadman's Reach coffee today. I'll keep ya posted.... ??
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    If anyone is looking for a good source for some gourmet coffee let me know. I have found a guy that I have done business with for a few months now and have been very happy with. The beans are roasted fresh unlike most of the stuff you find in the stores that have a sell by date, this stuff has a roasted on date. The beans are quality and don't require flavoring to make it taste good. I have no affiliation or get anything for referring him customers, just passing on my experience of his products.

He may be a member and I have just missed his posts. Check him out, the place is called Cathaus Coffee Company. His name is Jim Euritt and his website is www.CathausCoffee.com. He is also on Facebook, which is where I have done all my business with him.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    just like ordering coffee from any other "big" online retailer (amazon, etc) --- the real question would be how fresh are the beans?

were they roasted last week?
    or were they roasted 3 months ago and have been sitting in a warehouse since then?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:
    just like ordering coffee from any other "big" online retailer (amazon, etc) --- the real question would be how fresh are the beans?

were they roasted last week?
    or were they roasted 3 months ago and have been sitting in a warehouse since then?

True... I got some local beans that had a "roasted on" date, the day before I bought. Such good coffee. I'm sure fresh makes a big difference.
  • Options
    Well, my order of Deadman's Reach beans arrived the other day, just in time for me to finish up the last of the Jamaican Blue Mountain I was trying so I decided to give the new stuff a whirl this morning. As advertised, it's a full-flavored dark roast and is tasting fairly good. As Martha Stewart would say, that's a GOOD thing - considering my search for coffee I can taste with these wonky buds of mine.

On the other hand, it's now back to the drawing board for me in terms of finding the proper level of grind to use on these newcomers. I used the same grind I've been using for everything since I began using the Clever Dripper.. fine, but not extremely so. It turns out these new beans will have to be ground somewhat coarser - the fine grind is way too fine for them and tends to clog up the filter too much. Ant that, in turn, screws up the steeping time to a fare-thee-well, so....... Time and experimentation will tell.... ??
  • Options
    Okay - I think I've got the kinks worked out now. Coarsened up the grind a bit and, Voila! A four-minute steep time (three minutes til setting the Dripper on the mug) and it seems to work just fine.

And the important part is that I can taste it. Not what you'd call really acute taste but at least enough to know that I like it. So here's a big SHOUT OUT to Rudy for suggesting Deadman's Reach in the first place. Thanks muchly, Kid. I'm enjoying it. And I'm hoping that my goofy buds might continue to improve.

I'm learning that exotic coffees are very much like fine cigars - there are literally thousands of them out there to taste and not much chance of ever tasting them all. In any case, it keeps me out of mischief. ??
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I'm learning that exotic coffees are very much like fine cigars - there are literally thousands of them out there to taste and not much chance of ever tasting them all. In any case, it keeps me out of mischief. ??
    Indeed! I feel the same way.
    But I think your last sentence is only a half truth ;-)

• Options
    jgibv:
    jlmarta:
    Indeed! I feel the same way.
    But I think your last sentence is only a half truth ;-)

What?? You think I might be gettin' in some kinda mischief? Me? An oldfart?? I'll have you know we oldfarts are as pure as the driven snow.... (Snicker) ??
  • Options
    Early christmas present. A chemex brewer. A nice kettle to boil water will be the next gift, but i have to wait for that. I can tell a huuuge difference! Wow. Great coffee already, can't wait to try some other beans and stuff. image
  • Options
    Very nice. Congrats, my friend.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Early christmas present. A chemex brewer. A nice kettle to boil water will be the next gift, but i have to wait for that. I can tell a huuuge difference! Wow. Great coffee already, can't wait to try some other beans and stuff. image

Not a big coffee drinker so wasn't familiar with this but watched a video on YouTube and that's pretty cool. I just get the individual instant packs and heat some water in the microwave to make 6 oz of coffee than heat up 8 oz of milk and make some Ghiradelli Hot Chocolate and then mix the two together. It's nice to have along with certain Cigars or Pipe Tobacco and doesn;t take long at all to make.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Gray4lines:
    very nice :-)

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    ^
  • Options
    BUMP for my man Crousefer

• Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    jgibv:
    BUMP for my man Crousefer
    Deleted the old one and moving here! Thanks bro!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the?!?! Are you a Mod? How do you just get rid of a thread, Broudini?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    As long as nobody posts in it, you can delete your own thread
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    well first you have to train for 10 years as a Tibetan monk, next you must castrate a bull in spain during the run using only a can of tomatoes and not letting your cigar ashes fall. You must embark on a quest to drink from the legendary Tequila springs, and remain sober. And them finally you must meditate upon your teaching under a full moon where the first cigar leaf was folded. Or pretty much what rain said =)
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Crousefer:
    well first you have to train for 10 years as a Tibetan monk, next you must castrate a bull in spain during the run using only a can of tomatoes and not letting your cigar ashes fall. You must embark on a quest to drink from the legendary Tequila springs, and remain sober. And them finally you must meditate upon your teaching under a full moon where the first cigar leaf was folded. Or pretty much what rain said =)
    I thought this was how you got the latest Viaje release
    side note anyone ever had Deathwish Coffee?
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Crousefer:
    I thought this was how you got the latest Viaje release
    side note anyone ever had Deathwish Coffee?

Not Deathwish, but I'm currently working my way through a pound of Deadman's Reach coffee beans. Pretty tasty stuff.... ??