Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Well, to answer your first two questions, I have a French press .....

As for buying my coffee, I can buy Peet's Espresso Forte at my local supermarket but I have to order online for their more exotic blends/grinds. The few Peet's outlets in our semi-rural area consist of a few small, kiosk-like shops scattered here and there and they're not allowed to carry the exotics. Must be something to do with the franchise. My online order cost $6 for freight and I'd spend more on gas if I drove to their nearest store where I could buy them.

I buy the espresso already ground and haven't ever looked for a date on the bag. It never occurred to me. I ordered the Aged Sumatra ground for my French press because I wasn't sure what the grind would look like for the press. I have a small grinder but I'd rather try it their way the first time.
    Thanks for clarifying on the french press. I apologize, I misread your statement and thought you had just ordered a french press. They certainly produce a much different flavor than a "standard" drip percolator machine as you well know.

Also, after you try the Sumatra roast, please report back on how it is.
    Peet's website says they "roast-to-order" so I would assume your Sumatra coming directly from them would be much "fresher" than the Peet's that can be bought at the supermarket.
    I've never seen a roast date on the bags in the supermarket and I'm never sure how long they've been sitting on the shelves. Usually, if the bags are on sale I assume they've been on the shelf a while.
    I've had Peet's from the supermarket, always the same blend mind you, but the bags have tasted anywhere from "pretty decent" to "OMG this is worse than folgers."
    Even though they're vacuum packed and all that good stuff, I know that "freshness" (or lack thereof) has a great effect on the quality.

And whole beans will always keep better & longer than ground coffee.
    If the ground Sumatra you ordered turns out well, you ought to consider ordering whole bean next time around and see if you notice a difference.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    If the ground Sumatra you ordered turns out well, you ought to consider ordering whole bean next time around and see if you notice a difference.

Thanks, John, I will definitely consider ordering the whole beans next time. The way Peet's does it, I found out, is this: I ordered the coffee yesterday afternoon. It will be ground today and shipped (probably this afternoon). I should have it in approximately 4 days - unless they ignore my instruction NOT to use UPS. In that case, I might receive a Manila envelope with my coffee in it closed with duct tape along about July 4th.

Note to Ben (BBass2): After doing a little reading, it appears Major Dickason's may be my second trial of Peet's coffee. And maybe I can even find it in my supermarket. Who knows? I could end up as a Peetnik.... LOL
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    jgibv:

Thanks, John, I will definitely consider ordering the whole beans next time. The way Peet's does it, I found out, is this: I ordered the coffee yesterday afternoon. It will be ground today and shipped (probably this afternoon). I should have it in approximately 4 days - unless they ignore my instruction NOT to use UPS. In that case, I might receive a Manila envelope with my coffee in it closed with duct tape along about July 4th.

Note to Ben (BBass2): After doing a little reading, it appears Major Dickason's may be my second trial of Peet's coffee. And maybe I can even find it in my supermarket. Who knows? I could end up as a Peetnik.... LOL
    You're very welcome, Marty. Glad to help and if there's anything else you think of I'd be happy to try and point you in the right direction. I am looking forward to hearing your experience with the fresh beans. Hope they arrive to you soon.

And there's so much great coffee out there, and so many different ways to make a cup o' joe .... the hardest part IMO is finding a good roaster and perfecting your brewing technique.

• Options
    jgibv:
    And there's so much great coffee out there, and so many different ways to make a cup o' joe .... the hardest part IMO is finding a good roaster and perfecting your brewing technique.

My interests are considerably more limited, I'm afraid. The technical part pales in comparison to the drinking/tasting part. The roasting part is of no interest to me except to learn which level of roast produces the taste I want. The same applies to the grinding except as necessary to produce a cup of coffee. In short, once I find the right combination I'm done looking. I don't need any more hobbies. Much like cigars, once I find a few favorite brands/blends I'll stop looking. I just wish there weren't so many to try..... LOL

By the way, what's the deal with Kitten Mittens?? :-)
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    jgibv:

My interests are considerably more limited, I'm afraid. The technical part pales in comparison to the drinking/tasting part. The roasting part is of no interest to me except to learn which level of roast produces the taste I want. The same applies to the grinding except as necessary to produce a cup of coffee. In short, once I find the right combination I'm done looking. I don't need any more hobbies. Much like cigars, once I find a few favorite brands/blends I'll stop looking. I just wish there weren't so many to try..... LOL

By the way, what's the deal with Kitten Mittens?? :-)
    My interests are similar to yours and it has been a heck of a journey simply trying to find a good, tasty cup that suits my palate.

We do pour over in a Chemex for coffee ....
    And also a Moka pot that yields a stronger brew, that's closer to espresso.
    In the summer months we'll make "mason jar" cold-brewed ice coffee as well.

But I could fill a whole room with just coffee "gadgets"; vacuum pots, french presses, fancy & expensive electronic espresso/latte machines, single cup cones, etc.
    Then, as you hinted at, there's a plethora of grind options...and many blade and burr grinders to choose from. I remember researching for weeks before we settled on a grinder, there's almost too much to choose from.

And oh how I would love to put together an inexpensive DIY setup so I could roast my own coffee at home. But that's just another rabbit hole I could get lost in, and I don't have the extra $$ or time at the moment to make it worth while.

We've got our brewing methods down pat and know what type of grind we need for both the Chemex and Moka pot. And we've worked our way through most of the local roasters and have found our "preferred" shops. As far as the bean/flavor profile though, all we've nailed down is medium +. And, as with cigars, there are a lot of beans/roasts that fit under the medium + category.
    I'm with you, I sometimes wish there weren't so many to try, because it seems we've tried at least 1 type of new bean each month for the past 4 years or so. And while we have a better idea of what we like and dislike, I can't say that we've found the "perfect bean" yet.

That Kitten Mittens clip is from the comedy TV show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (t's one of the few shows I watch.)
    And we have a lot of stray cats or house cats that their owners let roam loose in the neighborhood - the cats are always making a mess & being loud so the wife and I always joke how we need to get kitten mittens for all them.

• Options
    Wow! I sure hope I don't go down the same rabbit hole you did. I'm happy to know that you've done it, though, so you'll be able to answer questions that I'm sure will arise for me.

Thanks for clarifying that Kitten Mittens thing. I thought maybe that was you in the clip.... Lol
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Wow! I sure hope I don't go down the same rabbit hole you did. I'm happy to know that you've done it, though, so you'll be able to answer questions that I'm sure will arise for me.

Thanks for clarifying that Kitten Mittens thing. I thought maybe that was you in the clip.... Lol
    LOL, don't "fear" the rabbit hole. It's certainly been an "adventure" but I've enjoyed every minute of it. I love trying all the different roasters, beans, etc. and it's been fun getting something "new" every month.

Spent more time researching the different grinders and brewing techniques than anything else, really.
    Took a week or two to get the brewing methods down but it's been smooth sailing ever since. Because the only thing left to do is pick out beans! (Or subscribe to a coffee of the month club and have them chosen for you!)

And, the way I see it, even if I get a pound of beans I don't really care for, it will still taste better than Folgers LOL!

And no, not me in the video LOL. The actor's name is Charlie Day.

• Options
    HOO HAA!! My Aged Sumatra from Peet's is scheduled for delivery today. Can't wait. I'm like a kid at Christmas or waiting for the a Easter Bunny.... LOL. According to what they say, they ground it Monday when they got my order, and shipped Monday afternoon via USPS as per my instructions. Woot, Woot, come on, mailman.......
  • Options
    Well, it arrived as scheduled and, childlike, I couldn't wait to taste it - so I didn't! I immediately brewed up a pot and shared it with my child bride. She was underwhelmed.

But as for me - YES!! I can taste it!! It's different (to me) in that once you've sipped it, it takes a while for the flavor to register in the deep, dark cranial recesses. At first I thought it had no more flavor than the espresso I've been drinking. But that's not the case. It DOES have flavor. I'se a happy camper.

Next, I'll try the Major Dickason's blend that's been recommended to me. If I've been a good kid and lived a sufficiently clean life, maybe it'll have even more flavor than the Aged Sumatra. Could I be so lucky?? :-)

Think I'll go brew another pot and find a stogie to go with it it. Later, Y'all......
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Major Dicks is a decent blend, haven't tried the one you spoke of
  • Options
    The Kid:

Would you describe it as highly flavorful? Just curious.....
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I do enjoy that blend, but that's being compared to other offerings at the grocery store. One of the guru's can probably make a better suggestion of something with more flavor.
  • Options
    bbass2:
    I do enjoy that blend, but that's being compared to other offerings at the grocery store. One of the guru's can probably make a better suggestion of something with more flavor.

well, I'll find out sometime soon. It's next on my list to try....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Well, it arrived as scheduled and, childlike, I couldn't wait to taste it - so I didn't! I immediately brewed up a pot and shared it with my child bride. She was underwhelmed.

But as for me - YES!! I can taste it!! It's different (to me) in that once you've sipped it, it takes a while for the flavor to register in the deep, dark cranial recesses. At first I thought it had no more flavor than the espresso I've been drinking. But that's not the case. It DOES have flavor. I'se a happy camper.

Next, I'll try the Major Dickason's blend that's been recommended to me. If I've been a good kid and lived a sufficiently clean life, maybe it'll have even more flavor than the Aged Sumatra. Could I be so lucky?? :-)

Think I'll go brew another pot and find a stogie to go with it it. Later, Y'all......
    Excellent to hear, Marty.
    Those fresh roasted beans really do make a difference!

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    The Kid:

Would you describe it as highly flavorful? Just curious.....
    As I mentioned in the PM , no nothing exceptional, just a good blend. Another company just as good if not better than Peets is "The Cofee Bean and Tea Leaf" co http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coffee_Bean_&_Tea_Leaf
    A boutique blend that I enjoy is Ravens Brew, you can pick it up at Whole Foods or on amazon.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    ........ A boutique blend that I enjoy is Ravens Brew, you can pick it up at Whole Foods or on amazon.

Are you referring to Ravens Brew House Blend or the whole Ravens Brew line of blends? The names of some of their blends are sure to pique one's curiosity.... Thanks for bringing that line to my attention. I'll be looking into those blends a little more later on....
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's late, but I think I will put a pot of Sumatra Dark on, and the light up a 5 Vegas Miami Toro.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Saw this article in the local paper this weekend and thought of this thread. Even though it's got a local angle to the article it has some great information about coffee and how it's roasted. Maybe some could help me out with the link thing since I can seem to figure it out.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/sinclair/sinclair.jquery/coffee/index.html
  • Options
    Well, let's try this:

Click Here

Hope it works.....
  • Options

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    Saw this article in the local paper this weekend and thought of this thread. Even though it's got a local angle to the article it has some great information about coffee and how it's roasted. Maybe some could help me out with the link thing since I can seem to figure it out.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/sinclair/sinclair.jquery/coffee/index.html

Interesting....but some brands I prefer their dark roast. Like cigars I will keep trying different ones.
  • Options
    I keep trying different blends of coffee, too, but for a different reason. Anyway, the burr grinder I ordered arrived yesterday so naturally I had to try it out this morning. It works quite well and I'm a happy camper.

photo A214C89D-F277-412A-8308-81712C4C3976.jpg

This puppy's all automatic, has about 16 settings between fine and coarse, and it grinds enough for the number of cups you select and then shuts itself off. Now if only I could figure out how to set it telepathically.....

And best of all, it was on sale at half-off. How can ya beat that??? LOL
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I keep trying different blends of coffee, too, but for a different reason. Anyway, the burr grinder I ordered arrived yesterday so naturally I had to try it out this morning. It works quite well and I'm a happy camper.

This puppy's all automatic, has about 16 settings between fine and coarse, and it grinds enough for the number of cups you select and then shuts itself off. Now if only I could figure out how to set it telepathically.....

And best of all, it was on sale at half-off. How can ya beat that??? LOL
    Looks good. I'd say you're "moving up" in the world, Marty.
    Now the hard part's going to be figuring out which of the 16 grind settings yields the best cup'o'joe!

Whole beans, ground fresh right before you brew, is like a night & day difference compared to that pre-ground stuff from the grocery, don't ya think?

• Options
    jgibv:
    ..... Now the hard part's going to be figuring out which of the 16 grind settings yields the best cup'o'joe!

Whole beans, ground fresh right before you brew, is like a night & day difference compared to that pre-ground stuff from the grocery, don't ya think?

From everything I've read so far, I should be using the coarsest grind for my French press. And, yes, a heckuva difference between pre-ground and fresh-ground... Now, if only I could buy 'sampler packs' of beans to taste instead of having to buy a whole pound at a time.... Sighhhh.... Lol
  • Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    COFFEE!!!! YES. I am obsessed with coffee. Also, a bit of a snob when it comes to it... okay a lot of a snob. I much prefer espresso over a drip. But if I am going to have a normal cup of joe, once again I am picky. I use a pour over and also have my own espresso machine. I won't use coffee that is over 3 weeks old at all iunless its used to season my grinder! TELL ME HOW PATHETIC I AM! GO! hahaha
  • Options
    not quite the coarsest grind but close to. The coarsest would be used for a turkish press. French press is close behind! haha :)
  • Options
    EoL:
    not quite the coarsest grind but close to. The coarsest would be used for a turkish press. French press is close behind! haha :)

So out of 16 settings between coarse and fine, would you recommend the next step down from coarsest or which? I'm a total noob with the coffee thing and am open to advice from more learned folks in this regard. As stated before, my goal is to find a coffee I can taste.
  • Options
    Well, I think I may be closing in on coffee that I can taste. This morning I set the grinder for 3 cups but still on the coarsest setting. I've got some Tanzanian Peaberry beans I'm using up so I used the full amount the grinder produced with two cups (16 oz) of water in the press, steeped for 5 minutes. And there WAS flavor. Not a lot, but I tasted something.

I believe the grinder is programmed to think that a cup is the standard 6oz coffee cup so it ground enough for 18oz of water. Two ounces isn't a big difference but I think it made the coffee just a tad bit stronger.

In any case, the quest continues.....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    EoL:

So out of 16 settings between coarse and fine, would you recommend the next step down from coarsest or which? I'm a total noob with the coffee thing and am open to advice from more learned folks in this regard. As stated before, my goal is to find a coffee I can taste.
    Try going 2 down from the coarsest grind. You are using a french press right?
  • Options
    EoL:
    jlmarta:
    EoL:

Try going 2 down from the coarsest grind. You are using a french press right?

Correct. A 20oz version - good for only 2 cups since my wife likes her drip coffee.... I'll crank the coarseness down 2 clicks and give that a try. Thank ya, kind sir.... :-/)