Home General Discussion
Options

Contest: help me put together a boffo birthday order

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Me either especially whe they're $11.99 at my B&M. I've heard about some B&M's trying to get as much as $40 per stick for them.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    most of them dont get them directly from A.F. so they mark em up for finding them.
  • Options
    Yea unless they have the certificate in their store they aren't SUPPOSED to carry them at all. My local B&M is authorized
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Thanks for the birthday wish, maddy, and back atcha. You gonna suggest an order?
  • Options
    Thanks. No I'm not going to suggest an order but only because I haven't had enough of the sticks on your list. My mouth is watering looking at all those cammie's though. hmmm
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    As much as a box of certain smokes sounds great, I personally would be more apt to go for variety. Gives you much more to pick from, depending on what mood you're in. And if it's a bday gift, I'd go with all high end stuff. Isn't that what it's all about?

La Aurora Preferido Tubo Sampler $84.95
    Arturo Fuente God of Fire Sampler $114.95
    Arturo Fuente OpusX Aged Sampler $149.95
    Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Assortment Box $349.95
    Padron 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico $17.95
    Padron 1926 40th Anniversary $49.95

Either way, have a happy bday.

• Options
    Rob1110:
    As much as a box of certain smokes sounds great, I personally would be more apt to go for variety. Gives you much more to pick from, depending on what mood you're in. And if it's a bday gift, I'd go with all high end stuff. Isn't that what it's all about? La Aurora Preferido Tubo Sampler $84.95 Arturo Fuente God of Fire Sampler $114.95 Arturo Fuente OpusX Aged Sampler $149.95 Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Assortment Box $349.95 Padron 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico $17.95 Padron 1926 40th Anniversary $49.95 Either way, have a happy bday.
    Thats some good stuff right there! I think ol' Urbs is trying to create his own Cameroon box sampler!
  • Options
    Interesting list, Rob. I already have the La Aurora Preferido Sampler, though. You may want to substitute something else.
    madurofan:
    Thanks. No I'm not going to suggest an order but only because I haven't had enough of the sticks on your list. My mouth is watering looking at all those cammie's though. hmmm
    Heh. You noticed that, eh? Lots of Cameroons, then Maduros, then Sumatras. The Oliva Special S is the only Sumatra I've had, but if it's any indication, that may become my second favorite wrapper.

Feel free to make up an order without regard to the cigars I listed. What I'm going for here is to end up with the best order I can, so the more people I get input from, the better.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Interesting list, Rob. I already have the La Aurora Preferido Sampler, though. You may want to substitute something else.
    madurofan:
    Heh. You noticed that, eh? Lots of Cameroons, then Maduros, then Sumatras. The Oliva Special S is the only Sumatra I've had, but if it's any indication, that may become my second favorite wrapper.

Feel free to make up an order without regard to the cigars I listed. What I'm going for here is to end up with the best order I can, so the more people I get input from, the better.
    You know a Cameroon is a Sumatra that just happens to be grown in Cameroon right?
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The winning order will be posted up this evening. As a preview, it comes in at $798.20 -- that's right -- below the $800 mark. $354.90 comes from Urby's original list, $443.30 comes from my own customized recommendations.
  • Options
    That's a bold prediction, duty. I like it. And the fact that you stayed under the spending limit.
    madurofan:
    You know a Cameroon is a Sumatra that just happens to be grown in Cameroon right?
    I knew they were very similar, but I'm not sure I knew the exact relationship. They're both excellent. Again, it's hard for me to compare based on having had just the one Sumatra-wrapped cigar, but it seems like the Sumatra's flavor is a shade darker than the Cameroon. CAO should come out with an SX2.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Since you have the Aurora sampler and I noticed almost everything opus x (including the sampler) is sold out, here's the revised list:

Arturo Fuente God of Fire Sampler $114.95
    Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Assortment Box $349.95
    Padron 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico $17.95
    Padron 1926 40th Anniversary $49.95
    A. Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 49 $27.95
    Perdomo ESV 1991 Cameroon Tubed Sampler $99.95
    A. Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario $34.95
    Gurkha Legend Perfecto Mazo of 6 cigars $99.95

That puts it just under $800
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Good info, kuz. Thanks.

Nice list, Smoke. Those last 4 are singles, I gather?
    Nope, 3 sticks of each. they are part of the Staff Picks Cameroon sampler. On the site I could find nothing of exactly what size Nub...I'll tell you in a day or two when mine shows up :D
  • Options
    Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    OK... here it is.. the winning order. I will only modify this if urby says something like "I have tons of those already" or "I tried that and didn't like it" -- although the latter is not possible in the selection below. I set a rule for myself that I would try to stay below the $800 limit, and managed to succeed.

It should also be noted that Urbino will be announcing the winner on MY birthday. However, this should in no way influence his decision unless I would otherwise lose :)

Smoker Profile

Name: Dr. Juvenal Urbino
    Interests: Smoking cigars; teaching parrots to speak

Facts

Things the good Doctor knows about himself:
    1. He loves Cameroon wrappers
    2. He also enjoys a Maduro wrapper
    3. He values a high length-to-girth ratio, in order to maximize the amount that the wrapper contributes to the overall experience
    4. He is very aware of value -- if a significant savings may be had by purchasing in box, he will try to do so
    5. He prefers Rocky Patel to Gurkha
    6. When sampling a new cigar, he prefers to keep 3-5 on hand to experience the way the cigar changes with age

Things the good Doctor will come to learn about himself:
    1. He has had more than one Sumatra-wrapped cigar in his lifetime
    2. The Sumatra leaf creates his favorite flavor profile
    3. He prefers a Sumatra wrapper leaf grown in Ecuador over Cameroon

Analysis

Dr. Urbino believes himself to have had only one Sumatra-leaf cigar (Oliva Special S). However, one of his personal favorites (Rocky Patel Vintage 1992) is wrapped in a Sumatra leaf grown in Ecuador. The Cameroon wrapper tends to add a zesty spice to the flavor, and an Ecuadorian Sumatra creates a fuller, richer, smoother flavor. The maduro leaf tends to be smoother still, but less rich than the Ecuadorian Sumatra. Dr Urbino is well-educated in the realm of premium hand-rolled cigars, but he is suffering from a mild experience gap with respect to Sumatra cigars.

Conclusion

In order to help Dr. Urbino take the next step in his cigar smoking education, he needs to experience a tour of premium Sumatra-wrapped cigars, supplemented by a healthy offering of high-quality Cameroon and Maduro cigars. In order to optimize the experience of the wrapper leaf, these selections should be chosen with a healthy length-to-girth ratio. Given the parameters of our budget, I prescribe the following:

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Size: Churchill (7 x 48)
    Quantity: Box of 20
    Cost: $139.95
    Reasoning:
    This is a staple in Dr. Urbino's inventory, and he trusts it as a stick that consistently delivers a rich flavor. The box purchase offers a savings of $1/stick, which isn't exceptional, but for a cigar this good, it's still a bargain.

Montecristo Serie C
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Size: Toro (6 x 54)
    Quantity: Box of 21
    Cost: $149.95
    Reasoning:
    This selection, also from Dr. Urbino's self-prescribed list, features a premium cigar wrapped in a Cameroon leaf. The savings for a box purchase is a whopping $1.86/stick, bringing this to a similar cost/stick as the RP Vin 1992. While this cigar carries a larger girth, the Montecristo filler tobaccos are recognized in the industry as a high-end standard, and this cigar will change and improve dramatically as it ages.

Graycliff Original Release (1997)
    Wrapper: Sumatra
    Size: Coronas (6 x 38)
    Quantity: 5 singles
    Cost: $65.00
    Reasoning:
    Dr. Urbino selected this from the cigar.com aging room as a premium treat, and a branch out into the world of Sumatra-wrapped cigars. The length-to-girth ratio gives an excellent opportunity to live the full experience of a super-premium Sumatra wrapper. The box purchase is both expensive, and does not offer a very large savings over the single stick price. This should be a glorious special-occassion smoke.

Montecristo Media Noche
    Wrapper: Maduro
    Size: No. 3 (5.5 x 44)
    Cost: $114.95
    Reasoning:
    Dr. Urbino had chosen this brand as a candidate for his birthday purchase, but he would prefer this in the size I have prescribed here. This cigar features a Maduro wrapper, and would be a wonderful smoke on a cool, clear afternoon in the early fall. At a savings of $1.75/stick, the box purchase is practically stealing.

CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Size: Churchill (6.8 x 48)
    Cost: $138.95
    Reasoning:
    From this point forward, all the recommendations are originals, not featured on Dr. Urbino's list. This stick features an excellent length-to-girth ratio, and is, in my opinion, one of the better Cameroon cigars out there. This box could be substituted with a CAO CX2, but I haven't had that one to make a good comparison.

La Flor Dominicana Ligero
    Size: 400 (5.7 x 54)
    Quantity: 5 Singles
    Cost: $23.75
    Reasoning:
    Now we're getting into it. This recommendation begins Dr. Urbino's official entry into the world of Ecuadorian Sumatra wrappers. This full-bodied cigar is so pant-crappingly tasty, Urbino will hang himself for only ordering 5. At that point, I just hope he willed me his entire Ecuadorian Sumatra collection.

Arturo Fuente Sun Grown
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
    Size: Chateau Fuente (4.5 x 50)
    Cost: $28.20
    Reasoning:
    As Dr. Urbino adventures into this new territory of the Ecuadorian Sumatra cigar, he will find himself wondering what it is about Ecuador that makes the Sumatra leaf that much more appetizing. Well, a great way to experience this is to complement the selection with an Ecuadorian Sun Grown beauty from the likes of Arturo Fuente. With the smaller size of this cigar, it will be a perfect afternoon or early evening smoke on a 2-cigar day, perhaps followed by a Sumatra or Ecuadorian Sumatra cigar to compare and contrast the differences.

Trinidad
    Size: Corona (5 x 44)
    Cost: $40.00
    Reasoning:
    What is this, you say? This cigar hasn't gotten any mileage or attention on these boards. Where did this come from? This, my friends, is the pinnacle of this recommendation. The ultimate prize in a most glorious birthday. The Trinidad cigar, in its Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, is a King among Kings on this ticket. This cigar is a rich experience, and an ideal candidate to learn about this wrapper as it ages.

Gran Habano VL (2005)
    Wrapper: Maduro
    Size: Churchill (7 x 50)
    Quantity: Box of 15
    Cost: $74.95
    Reasoning:
    This is an extremely rare Maduro, and a second entry from the cigar.com aging room. At a savings of $1/stick, the Box of 15 doesn't offer a huge savings over the individual stick price, but the rarity of this beauty ensures it will be a great special-occassion smoke or a one-of-a-kind gift to a good friend.

Sol Cubano Sumatra
    Cost: $17.50
    Reasoning:
    We're just about out of room on our budget, and we need a classic Sumatra wrapper to help compare and contrast against Ecuador in our Great Sumatran Tour. I'm not sure if Dr. Urbino has sampled the Sol Cubano Sumatra yet, but it's one of the better-valued Sumatrans around, and one of the few that will keep us within our budget of $800.

So.. there you have it. 121 cigars for a total price of $793.20. But wait, didn't I promise that the order total was $798.20? I did indeed. I would be remiss if I left out the Cuban Hertage Sampler from cigar.com. This features a Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, and a Fonseca Habana Seleccion, all for the total price of $5.

Total Cigars: 124
    Total Cost (before shipping and discounts): $798.20

Option:
    If Dr. Urbino has already sampled (or has sampler on hand) the Sol Cubano Sumatra, I would like to substitute the following recommendation:

Flor de Oliva
    Cost: $12.50
    Reasoning:
    Dr. Urbino is very familiar with, and enjoys, Oliva cigars. This is a value-priced, Sumatra-wrapped cigar from the Oliva family that would be an excellent candidate for an everyday smoke. Also, at the slightly lower price of these five sticks against the Sol Cubano Sumatra, Dr. Urbino now has an extra $5 to spare and spend on the "5 for $5" sampler -- at a buck a stick, how can you go wrong with that? This substitution preserves the overall price of $798.20, and adds an additional 5 sticks for a total of 129.

• Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    if this doesnt win i quit life. also if i ever want to place a hudge order ill just give the money to duty and let him analyze me
  • Options
    Jesus H.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    However, one of his personal favorites (Rocky Patel Vintage 1992) is wrapped in a Sumatra leaf grown in Ecuador.
    I did not know that. The descriptions always just say "Natural wrapper," which never made sense to me because it certainly doesn't look like any natural wrapper I ever saw.

I gotta say, guys, duty has set the bar damn high.
  • Options
    Thanks urbs.. I got the skinny on the RP Vin '92 from the Rocky website. The writeup on cigar.com says it's grown in Ecuador, but they don't tell you it's a Sumatra seed. There are openings for improvement in the order I proposed, though. I could make a couple minor improvements, but I wanted to stick with what I had promised this afternoon, and the alterations would probably put me a few bucks over the limit anyway.

Cigar.com doesn't carry them (yet), but I have to say you would enjoy the new Playboy cigars immensely. They feature an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper as well, and must be one of the greatest cigars I've ever had -- and easily the biggest surprise I ever smoked.

• Options
    Yeah, I've had that one in the back of my mind since you praised it so highly a while back. Haven't run across any yet, but it's on my list.

I really should hit more of the makers' websites. I think Fuente is the only one I've visited.
  • Options
    i logged on to post my selection but i have no chance now.
  • Options
    Nooo! Don't say that. Post it, please. I mean, you've already taken the trouble to put it together, you might as well post it.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Nooo! Don't say that. Post it, please. I mean, you've already taken the trouble to put it together, you might as well post it.
    Ummm urbino, duty just made my dream list right there. Thats going to be my birthday order. I agree with duty too, I like the Ecuadorian Sumatra more than the Cameroon, as of right now. But the CAO L'anniversaire is excellent its a single cammie though instead of a double, hence Cx2.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Ummm urbino, duty just made my dream list right there.
    No kidding. Now I have to figure out a way to ferret $800.00 away from the bank account without the wife finding out >.>
  • Options
    Impressive as duty's list is, and the tremendous amount of effort he put into it, there are some things I would change about it.
  • Options
    I've got a re-worked list that I think is a pretty nice improvement/alternative, taking care of what I see as the only flaw. I'm going to stick to my guns on my original, but I'll post up a revision after this thing is over. Surely some of these super-knowledgable cigar freaks (kuzi, maddy, kas, jozer, smoke...etc, etc...) can take it to another level. I also have to say jozer's original list was pretty amazing as well.
  • Options
    duty I don't even wanna try to compete with that.
  • Options
    dang, man.. I'm flattered
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    duty I don't even wanna try to compete with that.
    i concur
  • Options
    urbino:
    no i was gunna put it together as i went.

and in all reality how am i gunna smoke down the humidor if i keep winning and buying smokes? eh?