Home General Discussion
Options

Contest: help me put together a boffo birthday order

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I've got a re-worked list that I think is a pretty nice improvement/alternative, taking care of what I see as the only flaw. I'm going to stick to my guns on my original, but I'll post up a revision after this thing is over. Surely some of these super-knowledgable cigar freaks (kuzi, maddy, kas, jozer, smoke...etc, etc...) can take it to another level. I also have to say jozer's original list was pretty amazing as well.
    it is an impressive list ya got. what makes it even better is the delivery.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Joe The list you compiled and the way you presented it was outstanding. You can sell anything. nice job. I took notes and plan to pick up some off your list. Ooops I did it again. I will ask you to fill in my birthday list in February.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    OK I feel really bad that I killed this whole stinking thread. If y'all aren't gonna play, the least we can do is come up with candidate great smokes for that list.

First, as kas recently pointed out -- the cigar.com cuban label is an excellent cigar.. I've had the corona size, Urby, which is right up your alley, and again is an EcSu wrapper. At $2.5/pop they're a steal of a smoke.

Other premium considerations with an EcSu wrapper would be an Ashton VSG or the Cohiba XV (Extra Viejo). It's your birthday, for pete's sake, spoil yourself with 5 VSG Illusion (6.5 x 44) and 5 Cohiba XV 645 (6 x 45).

More reasonably priced EcSu would be the Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra and the Punch Rare Corojo.

The CX2 is going to be so Cameroon-crazy you can't go wrong. And the Nub Cameroon has received so much praise here lately you'd be a fool not to order it.

On the maduro front, the 601 Green would be a good bet, and the Carlos Torano Virtuoso on your original list has gotta be good.. and nobody brought up the RP Edge yet?

I'm sure Maddy can step in with the premium maduro selections. You could drop a box or two in favor of picking up 5-packs of some of these great candidates.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I thought the Rare corojo had a corojo wrapper?!?
  • Options
    Punch Rare Corojo has an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. Although I was apparently wrong about Cohiba XV -- it stands for Extra Vigoroso -- still with an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper.
  • Options
    Then why the hell is it called a Corojo that makes no sense.
  • Options
    it was blended and created before the corojo was used in cigars outside of cuba. it was blended to taste like a corojo.

the corojo is so rare it doesnt even exist.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    First, as kas recently pointed out -- the cigar.com cuban label is an excellent cigar.. I've had the corona size, Urby, which is right up your alley, and again is an EcSu wrapper. At $2.5/pop they're a steal of a smoke.
    A typical corona has the skinnier proportions I tend to like, but they're just too dang short. I'd have to smoke 'em two at a time to feel like I'd really smoked anything.

The HdM Dark Sumatra has caught my eye. Didn't know the VSG or the Punch were Sumatrans. I do like the Nub Cameroon quite a bit; I'll definitely pick up some more as part of one order or another; I dunno if it'll be this one or not, though. The 601s I've had didn't do much for me, but I haven't tried the Green yet. That's the Oscuro, right?
  • Options
    Yeah, green is the Oscuro.. All of what I rattled off in that post is stuff I haven't tried, but I was in a brainstorming kind of mood. Those all came from my list of "stuff I have a hunch I'll like". The cigar.com coronas are 6.5 inches long. The cuban label I had lasted 55 mins and carried decent body. They do smoke relatively quick, as mentioned in the house blends thread.

Edit: the corona lasted 55 mins smoking it down to scraps
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Urb -

Here's my rec's

Gran Habano 3 Siglos Robusto   113.95

Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto  102.95

Perdomo Reserve Cameroon Figurado  119.95

Hoya de Tradicion Epicure  101.95

CAO Cameroon Robusto  128.95

Cusano 18 Paired CT Robusto  79.95

Padilla 1968 Torpedo  134.95

Happy Birthday

• Options
    dip, I have a 5er of the 3 Siglos ... are they that good?
  • Options
    I picked up some 3 Siglos on a recommendation in "Pick Joe's Smoke" ... haven't tried one yet. Shipped one to urby in a trade, but I don't know if he's ever tried this cigar.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Maddy, this is one I keep buying in fives but my next box purchase will be the 3 Singlos. I like this one alot
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    Maddy, this is one I keep buying in fives but my next box purchase will be the 3 Singlos. I like this one alot
    The best part is that when he reads the box he'll finally learn how to spell Siglos (sorry, Kas!)
  • Options
    Got my birthday e-mail at 6:10 AM today, urby.. so yours should come in 2 days... it is as they said - 10% off an order over $100. Now, I would be shot if I spent $100 on cigars today, but I've got a month to sit on this thing.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Blew me away - right at the top of my list. Keep reaching in my humi to grab another and convince myself rekuctantly to let them rest longer . A box purchase is definitely  in the future.

Also, just had a Gran Habano #5 a couple of days ago. Very good too, especially for the price. Reminds me a little of a 5 Vegas Miami.

• Options
    dutyje:
    Got my birthday e-mail at 6:10 AM today, urby.. so yours should come in 2 days... it is as they said - 10% off an order over $100. Now, I would be shot if I spent $100 on cigars today, but I've got a month to sit on this thing.
    Oh, cool. I thought it was a one-day thing. Happy birthday, duty!
  • Options
    dutyje:
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    The best part is that when he reads the box he'll finally learn how to spell Siglos (sorry, Kas!)
    Thanks Joe but I Sing their praises every time I smoke one so that's the reason for the spelling. And they still are the best new cigar I have had in a long while.
  • Options
    Nice cover, there, Kas ;)
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Nice cover, there, Kas ;)
    Another one that I just learned the spelling of is the Fonseca. also in my defense I need reading glasses which I rarely use.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Another good list.
    j0z3r:
    And when is your B-day urby, if you don't mind me asking?
    The 18th.
    Hey let's get Urbi back on track, two more days till he blows out the candles.. Do you need a Burn Permit for a fire that size ?? We better ask the Capt.
  • Options
    How do we go about setting up the world's first-ever virtual herf?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    Another good list.
    j0z3r:
    And when is your B-day urby, if you don't mind me asking?
    The 18th.
    Hey let's get Urbi back on track, two more days till he blows out the candles.. Do you need a Burn Permit for a fire that size ?? We better ask the Capt.
    They don't allow people my age to play with matches. My "candles" will be LED.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    My "candles" will be LED.
    Attached to two deep cell lead acid batteries hooked in series :P
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    urbino:
    I'd personally recommend a transformer hooked to a constant power source, there is no way a battery (or two) could hold that much in its reserves.
  • Options
    You guys should take this act on the road. Please.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    j0z3r:
    Smoke=Fire:
    urbino:
    I'd personally recommend a transformer hooked to a constant power source, there is no way a battery (or two) could hold that much in its reserves.
    Just put a 1F Capacitor in there to make sure there are no fluctuations.
  • Options
    And the winner is . . . dutyje!

My order is coming together pretty nicely. While it's based on duty's extraordinarily helpful offering, I'm making some modifications to it. Right now I'm over my budget, and having a hard time eliminating anything to get it back down. The last few cuts will be painful.

I'll post the final order when I place it. Once it's in, I'll put together your Boffo Birthday Sampler, duty, and get it shipped out.

Huge thanks to EVERYBODY who participated. I got ideas from every one of the lists, and I'll be returning to them for future orders. Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Right now I'm over my budget, and having a hard time eliminating anything to get it back down. The last few cuts will be painful.
    get the bottem few and put the names on a dart board. start tossing. (but make sure you are a bit drunk if you are good at darts) Itll be random. you dont wanna cut any of em so its gunna suck no matter what.
  • Options
    OR if you can't make a decision put it up to a vote on here.