Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    hawaiianbass:
    Matt Marvel:
    I'm smoking a Nub Habano right now. It's my first time trying a Nub, and this little thing is pretty damn good. I've gotten a sweet, creamy taste, almost like something from Starbucks. I'm not sure if that's just me, or the cigar, but either way I'm loving it, lol.
    The Habano is my favorite Nub.

Earlier I tried a Padron torpedo. I didn't like it at all. The draw was a bit tight for me and the flavors I were getting were bland and unenjoyable to me.

Right now I'm smoking a Maxx Vice to help unwind from my finals.

CK
    I'm really not a big fan of torpedoes period. I always have problems with them. That sucks that you had a bad Padron though, that's a damn fine cigar.
  • Options
    hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    Matt Marvel:
    hawaiianbass:
    Matt Marvel:
    I'm smoking a Nub Habano right now. It's my first time trying a Nub, and this little thing is pretty damn good. I've gotten a sweet, creamy taste, almost like something from Starbucks. I'm not sure if that's just me, or the cigar, but either way I'm loving it, lol.
    The Habano is my favorite Nub.

Earlier I tried a Padron torpedo. I didn't like it at all. The draw was a bit tight for me and the flavors I were getting were bland and unenjoyable to me.

Right now I'm smoking a Maxx Vice to help unwind from my finals.

CK
    I'm really not a big fan of torpedoes period. I always have problems with them. That sucks that you had a bad Padron though, that's a damn fine cigar.
    I wouldn't say I had a bad cigar. The construction was good and it burned great. I just didn't like it.

CK
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    laker1963:
    Hey Puro, glad the move is over eh?
    I haven't had a chance to try the Xikar Defiance yet but your list did include two of my favorites... the 1926, and the Oliva Series V Double Toro.
    I haven't had the V in a different size yet, but I do love to sit down for a couple of hours with the Double Toro... just a great smoke. The Padron 1926's seem to be just about one of everyone's favorites, that cigar is just the "Cat's ass" it seems from most people who have tried it.
    What is the Defiance like? Is it worth a shot? Any size suggestions?
    Because people have been rating the Defiance and the Short Story so highly, I picked up both!
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Had a nice Padilla Habano Churchill this afternoon just before the rain rolled in... again.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have found another favorite... Today I had a G.A.R. Corona Gorda by George Rico.. Box pressed Ecuadorian Corojo wrapper Nicaraguin filler, Rich flavors of leather, wood, coffee-like at times, peppery bite but not overwhelming. It is full flavored, medium- Full strength, The burn went off track a little bit but the flavor profile is so fantastic you will not mind the minor touch-ups the cigar may require. Draw is just the way I like it, If you see them ... give it a try. ( I like these better than the Gran Habano 3 Siglos which he worked on previously) This is one I would buy a box of. My utlimate compliment, For what it's worth.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was the Felipe Gregorio Power/ Full Power. This was a very smooth cigar, not a hint of pepper/ heat or the " nose burn " that I expected.. This one was labeled special edition and I don't know how I got it since I bought a Five pack and this is the only one marked S.E. It was Oak like which was different, a little mossy, and other taste that just peeked in to quickly to put a name to. What impressed me was the strong ash and straight burn. Another good one..
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Tonight was a Legends Perdomo. One of my favorites in the series.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Had a gurkha s-2 microbatch today. just got them so I cracked one of the boxes open and lit this guy up. Not a bad cigar, got a rasin-ish flavor through the nose as well as cedar/wood and tobacco. I had to let it go out for a while, re-lit it up and it smoked fairly well. Some harshness was present but only because of the re-light. I also have a C-10 which I want to try. I noticed that ccom got the toro in, the place I ordered my batches didn't have it at the time or I just missed it. I'm diggin the description.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    Because people have been rating the Defiance and the Short Story so highly, I picked up both!
    Where is everyone finding these Xikar cigars? I cannot find them anywhere, are they a B&M-only line or something?

On another note, I had a Padilla '68 this morning, and damn it was good! By far my favorite Padilla now. I followed that up with an El Mejor Espresso at lunch, great as always. Right now I am in the middle of Decade 2nd, so far it is just as good as the firsts.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    So me and my smoking buddy went back the B&M we hit up the other day. We each bought a stick from a new brand called Illusione, along with a few others. After playing some poker tonight, he asked if I brought any of my cigars, which I hadn't. Well, I smoked his Illusione, which I'm still puffing away at right now. It's a really good cigar. It has a really strong, woody taste, and it's amazing in my opinion. If any of you happen to come across one, I recommend trying it. I'm smoking the cg:4. They're all numbered differently. He was smoking his Nub Habano, as I smoked the Illusione, and one of our friends tried them. I think we've got him hooked now, and he's wanting to hit up the lounge with us, haha.
  • Options
    My B&M had four sizes of the defiance. Then again, my B&M is pretty damn good. I go to Maxi's Cigar Lounge in Long Island.
  • Options
    betasynn:
    My B&M had four sizes of the defiance. Then again, my B&M is pretty damn good. I go to Maxi's Cigar Lounge in Long Island.
    Beta - you've got a PM.

Had a Casa Torano Maduro a little while ago. It was every bit as good as the conny version, if not better. Gonna have to stock up on a few of those.
  • Options
    mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Posts: 686
    I am smoking a 5 Vegas Cask Strength tonight, Its been resting a lil over 60 days now and man this is one great smoking cigar, The burn and draw are near perfect and it has great flavor, Im not so good at describing taste or picking out the flavors but this is a damn good cigar, Ill be purchasing a box come payday for sure.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I was in my B&M yesterday afternoon and saw a great selection of the Defiance there as well. Once again I have to say this is an awesome smoke and if anyone hasn't tried it, I would suggest you give it a shot.

Last night I tried my first RP Olde World Corojo and it was a damn good smoke! The wrapper started to crack on me but didn't hurt the burn at all. The draw was perfect as always and great flavor. I've had the Olde World Maduro a few times but this was the first Corojo I've tried and it's one I would go for again. Nice way to relax on the balcony after my first day back to work this week. I think the temps were in the low-mid 70's. PERFECT!
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Had an Oliva O last night as well as a Greycliff  gran cru salomon and an Oliva V torpedo. The Greycliff was the most expensive cigar Ive smoked to date. It was pretty good, dont think Id pay 20 bucks for it though as it was given to me at the cigar lounge last night. Still it was really cool to try and a nice gesture. Somone else also gave me an Oliva V maduro which I havent gotten to try yet, maybe after work tonight but I may be to tired.. It was like xmass for me at the bar last night as I was also gifted a RP Old World.

• Options
    405bench405bench Posts: 36
    smoked my first Greycliff Prof.  (blue label) last night.   First off it was a PGX which is a 6x50 and there is no way it was a 50 ring, 46 at most.  I had pulled it out several weeks ago but it felt very dry so I left it out of the cello and put it back in my humidor.   Construction, burn and draw were ok but nothing special.  It had a spongy section in the middle but it burned even and held a good ash.  No touch up light necessary.  The actual smoking experiance was not special, in fact a garcia vega would have been just as flavorful.   All-in-all, a very big disappointment.  Spent way to much on this smoke.  I put it out with 3 inches to go and went up and got a hemi short story to remove the bad memories of the greycliff.  
  • Options
    Just finished a Perdomo ESV 2nd, damn good smoke. I was actually able to tell what made this one a 2nd, it had two small sunspots on the wrapper near the foot (which had zero affect on the smoke). Thanks again Zoomer for turning me onto these!
  • Options
    I don't know anyone who doesn't like them.... and wonder how they manage to sell the firsts once anyone finds out about these! Ya know, the sun just came out, think I'll head outside and light one up myself.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    I don't know anyone who doesn't like them.... and wonder how they manage to sell the firsts once anyone finds out about these! Ya know, the sun just came out, think I'll head outside and light one up myself.
    I haven't had them yet, I don't think. So to say I only like the habano's wouldn't be accurate. I do need to try the esv's. how much savings are in the 2nds?
  • Options
    gaberox:
    Had an Oliva O last night as well as a Greycliff  gran cru salomon and an Oliva V torpedo. The Greycliff was the most expensive cigar Ive smoked to date. It was pretty good, dont think Id pay 20 bucks for it though as it was given to me at the cigar lounge last night. Still it was really cool to try and a nice gesture. Somone else also gave me an Oliva V maduro which I havent gotten to try yet, maybe after work tonight but I may be to tired.. It was like xmass for me at the bar last night as I was also gifted a RP Old World.

I too have had bad luck with greycliff. The price doesn't justify the cigar. I had a purple label, 20 bucks and I didn't enjoy it. The V maduro is very good, better than the V nat, my .02.

Had my first opus x this morning, had a **** power ranger! Nice smoke, woody and spicy. Some cocco and some ceder as well. Not as strong as I was expecting (new nickname, pink power ranger...). Especially since I had it before lunch. I will have to get some others come xmas. I'm wondering how much the other sizes I have differ..
  • Options
    I just had a CAO Brazillia and it was so-so. Granted, I only made it to the 2/3 or a bit beyond, since it went from a nice day to a *** storm of a thunderstorm in literally three minutes. I was smoking it to see if I should pick up the fiver, and I don't know if it's convinced me.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    zoom6zoom:
    I haven't had them yet, I don't think. So to say I only like the habano's wouldn't be accurate. I do need to try the esv's. how much savings are in the 2nds?
    A bundle of 15 of the Regentes in seconds is $40 as opposed to $10 each for the firsts. And don't worry, you should be getting one in the mail here pretty soon.....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    zoom6zoom:
    It's not so much a matter of saving as it is the quality of the seconds. They are first rate with minor aesthetic flaws, I've gone through a bundle and all of them performed in stellar fashion. The savings, well we're talking about a 60% savings when you buy the seconds.
  • Options
    thanks alien.. Never knew the 2nds were worth it... cool.
  • Options
    No problem. Like I said, you've got some coming, you be the judge as to whether they are worth it or not. I wasn't going to try them until Zoomer hit me with one of the ESV 2nds in a PIF. Ever since then, I generall check to see if they have seconds for a brand before I buy the firsts, lol.

Just got done with a Natural Dirt Torpedo, mighty tasty treat. For those of you who enjoy some of Drew Estate's infused sticks (other than Acids), you should definately give this one a shot. It isn't quite as good as the Irish Hops, but it is still a nice, mellow, sweet smoke.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Am currently enjoying the hell out of a hoyo de monterrey dark sumata (noche) with some decent age on it. never had one, but i'll be back...the one word that keeps coming to mind is one i think Urbs used for an onyx reserve...savory. this guy is savory as hell, almost like I could chew the flavor.
  • Options
    About halfway through a Punch Rare Corojo (in a funky little size) right now. I honestly didn't think I was going to like this one as much as I do, but it is a damn good stick (club is more like it). Thanks again Gene, another great cigar you turned me on to.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    alienmisprint:
    About halfway through a Punch Rare Corojo (in a funky little size) right now. I honestly didn't think I was going to like this one as much as I do, but it is a damn good stick (club is more like it). Thanks again Gene, another great cigar you turned me on to.

I find that size to be pretty flavorable Tony , Glad you are enjoying it ...
  • Options
    I've had good results with the Punch Seconds as well. I love the Gran Puros but can't always find a good deal on them.
  • Options
    burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    Just finished a 601 Reserve Limitada. I'd be curious to hear other's comments on this one. I found it to be very interesting. Started off very spicy and mellowed as I went through it. Lot of different flavors going on in this one. Not in my top 5 but fun none the less.