Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Earlier I had a CAO l' anniversary cameroon robusto. I got this in a sampler and gotta say I wasn't really looking forward to it: box pressed and kind of an ugly wrapper. Lit it up anyway and couldn't have been more pleased. Thick clouds of smoke, full of flavor and it lasted longer than I would have thought. Got two more to enjoy in the future. Tasty stick.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    zoom6zoom:
    I've had good results with the Punch Seconds as well. I love the Gran Puros but can't always find a good deal on them.

I love the Gran Puro's they are very tasty...I've never had the seconds, do the have Gran Puro seconds and have you had them ?
  • Options
    Had my first Oliva V maduro tonight. long baby with small ring gauge, not sure exact size but anyway , had to use regular lighter as was all I had available. Nasty fuel taste to begin with, even though I blew threw it several times to try to help get rid of it. Was smoking slow because of ring gauge but man was very harsh and not much flavor until halfway mark. At halfway took a turn for the better, a little earth/chocolate/sweet pepper flavors. Good flavors but very little of them. This one was straight from the B&M today. I can't believe I got a true representation of this cigar based on what you guys have described about them. Maybe I'll try a different size as I was really disappointed in this one.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    started out w a Fonseca 5-50. Next up was an Alec Bradley 1997. Finished up the night w a Padron 2000. Fonseca was just ok - the other two were great.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    gmill880:
    Had my first Oliva V maduro tonight. long baby with small ring gauge, not sure exact size but anyway , had to use regular lighter as was all I had available. Nasty fuel taste to begin with, even though I blew threw it several times to try to help get rid of it. Was smoking slow because of ring gauge but man was very harsh and not much flavor until halfway mark. At halfway took a turn for the better, a little earth/chocolate/sweet pepper flavors. Good flavors but very little of them. This one was straight from the B&M today. I can't believe I got a true representation of this cigar based on what you guys have described about them. Maybe I'll try a different size as I was really disappointed in this one.
    I think the V Maddys only come in the Torpedo (6.5X52). The only issues I've had with little flavor in them was when I had one that was plugged near the tapered head. Even after cutting very high on the cap(almost past the shoulder) it was still plugged. This has only happened with one, but did hinder the stick greatly.
  • Options
    Yeah I didn't realize I typed maduro in there -I was actually holding and smelling a Java Maduro toro I'm getting ready to light shortly and guess I had maddy on the brain. I must have got a bum stick because this thing tasted nothing like what you guys describe in them...I'M not going to write them off I'll give it another shot.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yeah, sounds like you smoked a Serie V lancero. From the ones I've had, they seem to be spotty, when you get a good one they're really good, but sometimes they can be a little too tight and just don't work out so well. Try the churchill or the double robusto, imo those are the best sizes.

I started with an H. Uppman demitasse, awesome little cigarillo sized smoke. After that was a Tatuaje Havana VI robusto, another very good cigar that I like very much. A bit later was a God of Fire Don Carlos 2006 robusto, it was good, but honestly a bit underwhelming for all the hype...I'd smoke one again, but I'd never buy one...thanks for the bomb though Beta, I did enjoy it.
  • Options
    Anybody tried or even have one of the La Flor Dominicana Ligero Solomans yet ...man that is a sexy looking cigar ...but at 23.00 bucks I'd like to hear a review first...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Gene, I was shocked while reading your review, never had any of that flavor from the maduro. But the end of it sounded sort of like it.

Had a camacho scorpio earlier, wasn't overly impressed with it. It was strong though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Gene, I was shocked while reading your review, never had any of that flavor from the maduro. But the end of it sounded sort of like it.

Had a camacho scorpio earlier, wasn't overly impressed with it. It was strong though.

Yeah , read back up a coupla posta Pheebs it was not a maddy, my bad ...
  • Options
    yeah I know, just being complacent.. truth be told I get harshness from more lancero's than any other cigar, even when I slow down.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I had a lancero just now, actually; no harshness on my end, and I smoked it pretty quick. La Aurora 1495 Series Lancero, pretty good smoke, loved the back end that had a lot of cedar and chocolate notes.
  • Options
    hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I had a Rocky Patel fusion tonight. Overall it was a good smoke. For the first 20 minutes I wasn't impressed but afterwards I got a nice sweet almost floral taste.

CK
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Nothing for me last night, I was having a hard time staying awake long enough to eat dinner even so I just watched a little news and played with my son then went to bed! Might have to light something up tonight though! Thinkin maybe a Don Pepin Cuban Classic... Mmm... I've really become a fan of the DPG stuff!
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    I've had good results with the Punch Seconds as well. I love the Gran Puros but can't always find a good deal on them.
    Hey, I actually just found a deal on some of the Gran Puros. If you are interested drop me a PM and I'll send you the link for the info.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I've never had the seconds, do the have Gran Puro seconds and have you had them ?
    They are listed as Punch Segundos, not sure exactly which blend they are, not GP's but still pretty good.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    j0z3r:
    I started with an H. Uppman demitasse, awesome little cigarillo sized smoke.
    I bought a box of those. For the size and price, I really like them. I've been smoking them on and off for 13 years.

I started a La Aurora 1495 1994 this morning on the way to work. It was a little bitter and warm in the beginning but started to get better when I had to let it go out. I'm taking a half day today so I'll finish it when I get out of here. Tonight, I am supposed to be going to a Steak House In Englewood, NJ where they allow cigar smoking. I was thinking about having a Sol Cubano Artisan and maybe something else like a La Aurora 100 Anos Torpedo or maybe that Castle Hall that my squirrelly sent me.
  • Options
    Doughty421Doughty421 Posts: 39
    What am I smokin tonight? Well i'm new to the cigar world and have been "test drivin" several lately trying to find a regular. Heck i'm still learning the termonogly. So maybe a Romeo, CAO, Drew Estates, not sure yet.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Doughty421:
    What am I smokin tonight? Well i'm new to the cigar world and have been "test drivin" several lately trying to find a regular. Heck i'm still learning the termonogly. So maybe a Romeo, CAO, Drew Estates, not sure yet.
    CAO black is good. DO IT!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Doughty421:

Evil Kuzi ...;)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    peer pressure.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Doughty421:
    I liked it too
  • Options
    burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    gmill880:
    Anybody tried or even have one of the La Flor Dominicana Ligero Solomans yet ...man that is a sexy looking cigar ...but at 23.00 bucks I'd like to hear a review first...
    Funny you should bring it up. I saw (not smoked) one yesterday at the B&M while looking for the Double Ligeros. Limbaugh is pictured in the Time Most Influential mag with one of the LFDs in his mouth. He likes the chisels but my guy didn't have any of those.
  • Options
    burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    PuroFreak:
    Nothing for me last night, I was having a hard time staying awake long enough to eat dinner even so I just watched a little news and played with my son then went to bed! Might have to light something up tonight though! Thinkin maybe a Don Pepin Cuban Classic... Mmm... I've really become a fan of the DPG stuff!
    Yep. I have the Cuban Classic in my Top 5. Love 'em!
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Went to my local B&M and the owner of La Bonita brand rolled us some fresh cigars. Very fine tasting, bought a couple for later, one of each type they had, and will probably be sending one in a trade. Fantastic cigar, and the one I had was actually a Peruvian Puro, if you can believe that.
  • Options
    burchams:
    gmill880:
    Funny you should bring it up. I saw (not smoked) one yesterday at the B&M while looking for the Double Ligeros. Limbaugh is pictured in the Time Most Influential mag with one of the LFDs in his mouth. He likes the chisels but my guy didn't have any of those.
    well with 400 million dollar salary I'm sure he can afford them...

I had a tat. miami for lunch. Not a bad cigar..
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Had a Gurkha Rare Breed a few momwnts ago. Eh, not a fan. The draw was waaaay loose and it burned hot and bitter. Windless day, nice burn and perfectly humidified. Oh well.
  • Options
    TizzleTizzle Posts: 13
    Tonight I'm going with a Don Pepin JJ..... It will be my first time smoking a Don Pepin and I am really looking forward to it.......In all my newness to collecting... my initial researching has led me to reading lots of good things about Don Pepin JJ's and the Don Pepin brand in general.... should be a fun evening and I'm expecting a fine smoke......

Two nights ago I had a Padron 64' Anniversary Churchill.... took easily an hour to smoke... and washed it down with a few tumblers of Captain Morgan on the rocks with a twist of lime .... The Captain Morgan really surprised me as being a good pairing with the Padron 64'   and was really a excellent choice for an after dinner cigar (Rib Eye's and Avacado Salad) Have to thank the guys down at Mojito's Cigar Lounge in Cave Creek, AZ for the reccomendation..... had a good friend of mine over to my place to celebrate his completion of Law School!!! That Padron really made our night!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I just finished up an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Natural. Damn good smoke.

CK
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I was thinking about having a Sol Cubano Artisan
    That's what I ended up with tonight as well... nice barberpole saloman, very pretty stick, almost a shame to burn it up. took a while to get into it's game but the second half was pretty good and paired nicely with a Bushmills and a splash of branch.