Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Had a La Herencia Cubana robusto this afternoon, always a solid cigar. Later on was a 5 Vegas Miami Knuckle, I liked it...I haven't been crazy about the Miami, but I think the Knuckle and M-5 sizes are pretty good...must be the fatter ring gauge that they boast.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Perdomo 2 is an excellent cameroon. Even better is the Perdomo Reserve Cameroon, but it is out of production, but can still be found. Another outstanding cameroon is the Torano 1916. Two great values that are really good are the Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend and the La Aurora 2nds (really good deal).
  • Options
    Last night i had a bahia blue robusto (i think) which came in a sampler about 2 weeks ago. It had the same flavor profile throughout the smoke. At first i thout it was a woody with slight nut taste but i think i was searching for the exact flavor profile. I ended up coming to a conclusion that it was more of what a fine perfectly prepared steak would taste like. Just a solid meaty taste in my mouth and through the nose with a very very slight hint of pepper. Not a pepper that takes away from the steak but compliments the natural taste of it. I was on the fence about this cigar and maybe if i had a nice steak dinner i would appreciate this stick even more. I have another 1 left and will let that 1 sit for awhile to see if the flavor changes. As of now i still dont know if i would by this cigar again. Definately wouldnt pass up a sampler if this cigar was in it. Decisions decisions!
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I know a place that has that la flor; I'll pick one up tomorrow, maybe two if they're reasonably priced, and smoke one fresh. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Nothing for me last night or sunday night, but Saturday night for the 4th I had 2 awesome smokes. I started with a Don Pepin Cuban Classic which is one of my favorite daily smokes. My buddy was smoking a Padron 1926 Aniv. natural. I took a few puffs off of it and it was a great smoke, but I tend to like the Maduro better. Next I lit up my Ashton ESG which was a great smoke. I'm not sure if it is that much better than the VSG and I would have to try them closer together to really see if it is worth the price. It was an outstanding smoke however with great flavor and a great burn. I'll probably smoke tonight but not sure what yet. I want to dive into my 5 Vegas Classics and Series A but they just came in the mail yesterday so I better give them some time. Bought a box of each so that put a nice stack of sticks in the humi!! I love seeing it when it starts getting full!
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    tonight was a RP vintage 1990 6x60 and a long walk

while on the walk i saw the space station fly over.

the cigar was ok but with many burn issues. I may have to have another something because tonight is gunna be a loooong night. i hate it when the wife is out of town.

Kuzi, I feel your pain. At least I think I know what you mean. I can't sleep let alone function like a regular human being when my girlfriend is out of town. Her sister plays softball anywhere from colorado to californina, but I can't leave town and have that much time off from work. She's my other half, my support, my inspiration and motivation. So I end up turning to my humi and a book to keep my mind occupied, and my guitar for my restless soul. Ah the power of good music and good cigars.

Tonight I'm having Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet in the robusto size.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    betasynn:
    I just smoked and reviewed a really solid CAO Cameroon L’Anniversaire. I LOVED it. I was surprised by how much I loved it. I wonder what the Cameroon added, I'll try smoking other things with a West African Cameroon wrapper. Any ideas as to what I could smoke?
    The best Cameroon wrapped cigar I've had is a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet, the #1 size in particular. This is one of my top five cigars and a solid cigar if you can find one.
    I'll echo that...it is a fantastic stick.

Had my first LFD Cameroon cab #1 this year and I have to chime in with how good they are ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    betasynn:
    I just smoked and reviewed a really solid CAO Cameroon L’Anniversaire. I LOVED it. I was surprised by how much I loved it. I wonder what the Cameroon added, I'll try smoking other things with a West African Cameroon wrapper. Any ideas as to what I could smoke?
    The best Cameroon wrapped cigar I've had is a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet, the #1 size in particular. This is one of my top five cigars and a solid cigar if you can find one.

Had my first LFD Cameroon cab #1 this year and I have to chime in with how good they are ...
    Glad to see ya back smokin again G-man, but did you have to mention this cigar?? I've been wanting to try one of these for a long damn time and now they have been mentioned several times in the last few days. I'm going to have to stop by the B&M on my way home from work and pick up a few. When my wife nags me about it I'm gonna tell her it was your fault! haha
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had half of a Partagas Serie S Torpedo today. Didn't have time to finish it. Maybe tomorrow. We'll see what the day brings.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    betasynn:

Glad to see ya back smokin again G-man, but did you have to mention this cigar?? I've been wanting to try one of these for a long damn time and now they have been mentioned several times in the last few days. I'm going to have to stop by the B&M on my way home from work and pick up a few. When my wife nags me about it I'm gonna tell her it was your fault! haha

I hear ya man ...go ahead blame it on me !!! as for the LFD I meant earlier this year. I did have my first smoke though today since May 30th !!! And I had ( drumroll please) A El Rey del Mundo ISOM I got from a west coast BOTL ( you know who you are you guilty rascal) I was relaxing at the end of my garage in the shade (didn't have to work today) in a comfortable chair watching a hummingbird and man was that a tasty smoke. I think the combo of what it was and my first one in over a month made it really really good. Relaxing just listning to the breeze in the trees and watching the hummingbirds and enjoying my cigar life was awsome for that hour and twenty minutes.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    gmill880:
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:
    betasynn:

I hear ya man ...go ahead blame it on me !!! as for the LFD I meant earlier this year. I did have my first smoke though today since May 30th !!! And I had ( drumroll please) A El Rey del Mundo ISOM I got from a west coast BOTL ( you know who you are you guilty rascal) I was relaxing at the end of my garage in the shade (didn't have to work today) in a comfortable chair watching a hummingbird and man was that a tasty smoke. I think the combo of what it was and my first one in over a month made it really really good. Relaxing just listning to the breeze in the trees and watching the hummingbirds and enjoying my cigar life was awsome for that hour and twenty minutes.
    Great to hear you are back at it and able to enjoy it Gene.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I've now learned to fear cigars with 'cabinet' in their name. The LFD Cammy Cab was not great, not terrible either, but not wonderful. I also disliked the sol cubano cuban cab. Is there a similarity in cabinet cigars, or is that just a name?
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    All this talk about the LFD...hmmm..gunna have to cruise by th B&M and try one, mine has copious amounts of that line but i've never tried em.

Tonight i had a AF Hemingway Maduro in a size close to churchill. Yee-Haw what a good smoke! If i had known it was that good i wouldnt have let it sit for so long:)

Hey Kooz, thought you didnt like Nic Tobacco? :) Never had a 90/92 with burn issues, though ive never gone walking with one either...do you think that changes the flavor somewhat, i found it kinda does...could just be me.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    All this talk about the LFD...hmmm..gunna have to cruise by th B&M and try one, mine has copious amounts of that line but i've never tried em.
    speaking of...

i picked up the LFD Double ligero especial pigtail oscuro churchill today. Ive been lookin for this guy for a moment. i cant wait for its 6 weeks to be up.
    Jetmech_63:
    Hey Kooz, thought you didnt like Nic Tobacco? :) Never had a 90/92 with burn issues, though ive never gone walking with one either...do you think that changes the flavor somewhat, i found it kinda does...could just be me.
    yeah it does change the flavor a bit. however, im not power walking here.

the 90 is honduran wrapper, mexican binder with dominican and nicaraguan filler. there is very little of the nicaraguan taste in there. most of it is on the finish and a cedar sawdust kinda way. i dont mind this RP as much. when RP blends, he tends to play up the nicaraguan in most cigars so his nicaraguan puros are nicaraguan to the "n"th degree. i just dont dig on most of his blends.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Well, I am officially in Lousiana. Had my first cigar here today, an IT Super Fuerte gifted to me from Vinnie. Awesome cigar, I loved every minute of it. They will definately find a home in my humidor from now on. I followed that up tonight with a Camacho 1962, this one was like the last one I had, a pretty good cigar but nothing special. Maybe they just don't appeal to my palate.
  • Options
    I think I am going to some a Rare Breed Maduro today during my walk. I was bad again today. I ordered 2 of the Daily Deals and got myself some Graycliff Expressos, Double Expressos, some ESGs and some DPG Blues. Bad Rich, Bad!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have just fell in love!

I smoked a Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve Toro with 13 months of age on it... AND HOLY CHIT MAIN!!!!

I've smoked some pretty expensive smokes and they range from fresh from the shop to this guy with 13 months on it and even some of the "Super Premiums" like Davidoff, Diamond Crown Maximus, Gurkha BEAST etc. I usually get about 3 (sometimes 4) inches left and the smoke is too hot/harsh that it becomes bitter to me and I just let the little guy go out and die a happy death

But this thing is the first cigar I've "Nubbed" and by that I mean I had it literally burn my thumb because there was only about 3/4" inch left...

It didn't burn the greatest and I had to correctively light it more than a few times, and this never made it bitter or sour (that has never happened before with my cigars)

Now I'm contemplating buying a box of them!

p.s. It lasted for 2:35!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    lassy,
    it seems to me that if you are geeing harsh smokes out of such large rings you may be puffing a bit to often or fast. maybe even a bit to hard.

on that note, i wanna try this RyJ now...
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    lassy,
    it seems to me that if you are geeing harsh smokes out of such large rings you may be puffing a bit to often or fast. maybe even a bit to hard.

on that note, i wanna try this RyJ now...
    Yeah, I've noticed that, but I've also had many a 'gar go out on me, or start to tunnel (thinking a humidity issue???) so I do maybe puff a little too fast, but this one I did nothing different and it did tunnel on me and burn uneven, but even when I re-lit it or lit a side it still tasted just as good as when I first lit it...

Too bad I wasn't doing a review on it because I think the Miller Lite and Grape Vodka/Redbulls didn't really "Pair" well with it :)
  • Options
    I'm going to the driving range after work today to try and tune up my swing a bit so I can start playing some more golf and I'm going to take a smoke with me, but not sure what to take yet... I haven't had a smoke since saturday night so I'm ready to fire up something good! I'm thinking about trying out the Graycliff Red Label my buddy gave me earlier this week. He has had it for a couple months so it's ready to smoke. What ever I pick, I just hope I can get my swing lined out. The last time I played was HORRIBLE. I'm no great golfer, but I "CAN" shoot in the mid 80's consistantly.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    CAO VR Full Fathom Five box press, really good! Got me cruising around looking for a deal on them. Slight cedar, sweet, buttery almost.
  • Options
    I need to take up golf so I can relax more ...plus it gives me one more place to enjoy a cigar ...
  • Options
    Just finished an A Fernandez Signature compliments of cabinetmaker. A very good smoke with a meaty peppery taste that I thoroughly enjoyed ...thanks Greg ...helped me relax a bit at work as its been a he_ll of a day ...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    I need to take up golf so I can relax more ...plus it gives me one more place to enjoy a cigar ...
    lol, I say this over and over again, there is no relaxation on the golf course, even drinking!!!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    lol, I say this over and over again, there is no relaxation on the golf course, even drinking!!!!

I have heard that ...
  • Options
    Finished up a Graycliff Double Expresso. This SoB is freakin strong. Good but strong.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Did you like it more than the regular? I had a gurkha platinum tonight with some xo henessay. For some reason I can smell the cognac more than taste it.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    Just finished an A Fernandez Signature compliments of cabinetmaker. A very good smoke with a meaty peppery taste that I thoroughly enjoyed ...thanks Greg ...helped me relax a bit at work as its been a he_ll of a day ...
    Glad you liked it, great construction on those babies. I'm about to order 4 or 5 boxes of them in the next month or so (gotta fill up that big humidor, lol). I'll be glad to send some your way.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    gmill880:
    Glad you liked it, great construction on those babies. I'm about to order 4 or 5 boxes of them in the next month or so (gotta fill up that big humidor, lol). I'll be glad to send some your way.
    Well, thought I'd quote myself for my 100th post, lmao!
  • Options
    Well ended being no smoke or driving range for me last night. Ended up having a sh&tty night. Long story short, I threw away my wife's wallet which had her debit card, our cedit card, her DL, and around $200 cash. It was in a Wal Mart sack that looked like trash and I took it out with the rest of the garbage yesterday morning before work. By yesterday afternoon the trash had run and it was gone... I am hoping to be able to smoke tonight and have a few drinks.