Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    zoom6zoom:
    Taking the day off for my birthday today. For a morning smoke I lit up an ISOM Cohiba courtesy of one of the great folks here on the forum. I've been saving this one for a special occasion, not having had one before. This was a nice smoke, very good slow burn, but with a bit of a tight draw at first, which I understand is characteristic of Cubans. I found the smoke fairly mild; my palate is not the most refined, but had I been handed this stick without a band I believe I would have thought it was a 5 Vegas Classic.

Later today will probably be a Padron '64 or a VSG.... or both!
    Happy Birthday Zoom!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    zoom6zoom:
    Taking the day off for my birthday today. For a morning smoke I lit up an ISOM Cohiba courtesy of one of the great folks here on the forum. I've been saving this one for a special occasion, not having had one before. This was a nice smoke, very good slow burn, but with a bit of a tight draw at first, which I understand is characteristic of Cubans. I found the smoke fairly mild; my palate is not the most refined, but had I been handed this stick without a band I believe I would have thought it was a 5 Vegas Classic.

Happy B Day Zoom !!!! Mines tommorow but I only get to leave work at about 3:30-4:00 PM but that beats 7:00-8:00 PM anyways...
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    gonna smoke some manure. I heard its good
  • Options
    Just finished a Gurkha Black Puro ...Draw was tight had to open up with a paperclip. Had several months on it ...construction was ok burn ok flavor so-so...wouldn't turn one down but wouldn't go out of my way to get or buy one either...just was not exactly my cup of tea so to speak ...Gurkha seems to be hit or miss with me ......some I like (Ancient Warrior, Rare Breed, Centurion) some not so much ( Black Puro, Holy Grail, ) ...hhmmmmm......
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    ironhorse:
    Should I send you some? I have 24 year aged imported from Bulgaria... It has a distinct post-communist Eastern Block tang to it...
  • Options
    Renaissance_Man:
    ironhorse:
    Should I send you some? I have 24 year aged imported from Bulgaria... It has a distinct post-communist Eastern Block tang to it...

I can send you some dried cow patties from my dads barn ...you can store this in your humidor and give ALLLLLL your cigars this smell .....hmmmmm I smell a new web-based business here...Manure Pillows ......I'll be a millionaire in no time ...of course you guys will get SPECIAL discounts ...order early ...order often ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Renaissance_Man:
    ironhorse:

I can send you some dried cow patties from my dads barn ...you can store this in your humidor and give ALLLLLL your cigars this smell .....hmmmmm I smell a new web-based business here...Manure Pillows ......I'll be a millionaire in no time ...of course you guys will get SPECIAL discounts ...order early ...order often ...
    How would these work? Do I dip them in water or I just pee on them to activate? I'd take a dozen - sounds like the perfect thing to include in a bomb... Or my next PIF package ;)
  • Options
    Renaissance_Man:
    gmill880:
    Renaissance_Man:
    ironhorse:

How would these work? Do I dip them in water or I just pee on them to activate? I'd take a dozen - sounds like the perfect thing to include in a bomb... Or my next PIF package ;)

No water needed ...you'll microwave them for 20 seconds ...will last up to a coupla months ...I'll try to get the prototype together asap so you can be ready soon for your next bomb ...;)
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    ironhorse:
    This is where the saying, "Man, this is some good sh*t" comes from!
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I just finished a Connecticut by Rocky Patel (thanks Stan!). As I was expecting I love this cigar! I was in the mood for a mild cigar and this was just right. The draw was perfect; it had a great, toasty flavor, and a perfect burn.

For mild cigars, this has been my favorite thus far. Once again, thank you Stan (Renaissance_Man) for hooking me up with a few of these. They are turning into my new favorite!

Oh, and I had a Yuengling Porter with it which was way to powerful a flavor for this cigar. Either way....still very good!
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Hugemoose:
    I just finished a Connecticut by Rocky Patel (thanks Stan!). As I was expecting I love this cigar! I was in the mood for a mild cigar and this was just right. The draw was perfect; it had a great, toasty flavor, and a perfect burn.

For mild cigars, this has been my favorite thus far. Once again, thank you Stan (Renaissance_Man) for hooking me up with a few of these. They are turning into my new favorite!

Oh, and I had a Yuengling Porter with it which was way to powerful a flavor for this cigar. Either way....still very good!
    Love the RP Connecticut. In certainly has a way of growing on you, that's for sure.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    On to birthday dinner; shrimp marinated in ginger, garlic and honey, crusted in panko bread crumbs and pan fried; a very nice 1978 E&J Gallo Limited Reserve Cabernet, and an Ashton VSG. Shrimp very good, wine sublime, and what can I say about a VSG?
  • Options
    JCargoJCargo Posts: 13
    I just smoked a Onyx reserve... Not a bad stick for the price ($5.00). It was rolled a little tight but after a quick poke smoked nicely. Classic maduro smoke, earthy flavor, with a good finish. On a scale of 1-10 I give this a 8.5.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    On to birthday dinner; shrimp marinated in ginger, garlic and honey, crusted in panko bread crumbs and pan fried; a very nice 1978 E&J Gallo Limited Reserve Cabernet, and an Ashton VSG. Shrimp very good, wine sublime, and what can I say about a VSG?
    Sounds like one helluva birthday. Hope you enjoyed it, I know I would!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    zoom6zoom:
    You lost me with all of that except the VSG. I don't really drink wine or eat seafood. But, Happy B-day man!
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had a Padilla 68 earlier, there is a reason is my main go-to smoke, it never dissapoints. Right now I am about halfway through a Perdomo 10th Anniversary Criollo, and I am enjoying the hell out of it. It is a hell of alot better than the Champagne, it really has me looking forward to trying the Maduro now (which I just got in today courtesy of Renassaince - thanks again bro!)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Today was an A Fernandez Signature sumatra toro, I wasn't impressed with the churchill when I first tried this smoke, but now given a good deal of rest, and likely smoking a different vitola, my opinion is changed. This cigar reminded me of the DPG Cuban Classic somewhat, it had that thick, peppery taste to it...so now Fernandez has yet to strike out with me, everything I've smoked by him I like...gotta go cut up some magazine articles and paste together a letter for AJ now. :)
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    zoom6zoom:

Happy Bday Zoom!
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    Hugemoose:

Love the RP Connecticut. In certainly has a way of growing on you, that's for sure.
    I am also a big fan of the RP Connie

• Options
    I had a Padilla 1932.
    Major burn issues with this one.
    I went and checked the RH on my humi after this. 2nd Padiall stick in a row with a burn issue.
    This burn problem was worse than the last one.

RH on my humi was tight at 67.

The burn issue was so bad that I couldnt really discern any good flavors!
    I tossed it 1/2 way through.

I dont have any remaining to give ths one a 2nd shot. Really dissapointed in this one!

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    like...gotta go cut up some magazine articles and paste together a letter for AJ now. :)
    I find (and so does Hannah Montana) that "Allure" and "Maxim" magazines always have the more diverse fonts...

IF you want to impress him then I would say use "People" or "Highlights" they tend to have the same fonts throughout and are the least colorful....

I'm just saying.......
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    I had a Padilla 1932.
    Major burn issues with this one.
    I went and checked the RH on my humi after this. 2nd Padiall stick in a row with a burn issue.
    This burn problem was worse than the last one.

RH on my humi was tight at 67.

The burn issue was so bad that I couldnt really discern any good flavors!
    I tossed it 1/2 way through.

I dont have any remaining to give ths one a 2nd shot. Really dissapointed in this one!

I had a Padilla 1932 Robusto with about 3 weeks on it.... I also did not get to enjoy it due to issues...
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Last night was a Tatuaje havana VI. I haven't had any of these in a while because I've been smoking the Miami and the new Tat house blend lately. I have to say it was a joyful reunion! Great smoke! I had forgotten just how much I like these. Great flavor with tons of rich spicy smoke and had a perfect burn all the way. The draw was good, but just a hair on the tight side of perfect for me. Not tight enough to be a problem, but tight enough to notice. I smoked it with a couple tall glasses of ice water instead of my usual Maker's and Coke, due to being on some meds for a dental problem I'm having, and I really enjoyed it that way. I usually like to pair the flavors of a bourbon with my smokes, but the water was a nice change of pace.

On another note I wanna say happy (late) b-day to Zoom, and be the first to post Happy B-day to G-Man. Both great guys on this forum and I count myself lucky to be able to know them, even if it is just on here! Happy B-day guys!
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I'll echo and wish Gene a happy birthday too. Hope you have a good one!
  • Options
    Happy birthday to all the people with birthdays! haahh... I hope all your dreams come true when you grow up! ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the b-day wishes guys much appreciated ...really is a great group of guys on here ...glad to be a part of it ...
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    gmill880:
    Thanks for the b-day wishes guys much appreciated ...really is a great group of guys on here ...glad to be a part of it ...
    Hey, Happy Birthday "G".
    Hope you have a GREAT day.

So... what'cha' gonna smoke tonight for the big day? Wish I could have got you that 1000th post contest package to you sooner.
    There may be one or two in there worthy of the occassion.

Whatever you choose, I hope it smoke's true, taste's great and last's just as long as you would have wanted it to.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    gmill880:
    Hey, Happy Birthday "G".
    Hope you have a GREAT day.

So... what'cha' gonna smoke tonight for the big day? Wish I could have got you that 1000th post contest package to you sooner.
    There may be one or two in there worthy of the occassion.

Whatever you choose, I hope it smoke's true, taste's great and last's just as long as you would have wanted it to.

Thanks Laker ...have not decided yet but will be leaving work about 3:30 for a evening of good friends family food drink and smokey ...maybe an Opus ...I'm not sure yet ...Looking forward to the incoming package though ...
  • Options
    Happy Birthday gmill! Hope it's a great one! I myself am smoking a Cohiba Red Dot this morning. I've got my cigar, I've got my coffee, there's a Rangers game about to start, and I don't have work today. Not a bad day at all.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Last night was a Tatuaje havana VI. I haven't had any of these in a while because I've been smoking the Miami and the new Tat house blend lately.
    What are these house blends of which you speak? I love all the Tatuaje's I've tried, even the P-Series.

Out on the back porch now enjoying my first Padilla Miami. Scrambler sent me this one in a sampler split a few weeks ago, and I need to thank him. Excellent cigar. I don't know if it would take the 68's place in my heart, but it definately has a permanent spot in my humidor. The only bad thing I have to say about this cigar is that it didn't last long enough. I may have to look into some of the larger sizes, this one was the robusto. If the torpedo or Churchill are as good, I know what's going on my next order.