Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    sdip:

Kas:

Thats my plan - I have another toro plus the perfecto from the COTM. If anyone wants to trade for them, I would be willing to move them. Then again, just might be a flavor profile that's not for me.

Everyone can't be a winner..I'm sure somebody likes them well enough to trade for them. If not let them rest and try again. I had the same experience with the Rocky Patel Connecticut. Just didn't hit me. And Punch cigars. One bad day and I didn't smoke another for years.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Hmm.. I've got a Matasa 30th Anniv. Toro sitting in the tupperdor right now. I think I'll leave it out of the smoking queue for quite some time based on what's here. I'm not part of COTM, but they do seem to be patterning their offerings off my meager inventory. First the Bolivar, now this.. they're following me!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Let me preface this post by just saying WOW!

I just finished a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1 and it was hands down the best cigar I've had to date, 90 minutes of pure bliss. I am really at a loss for words, so a description would be difficult. Suffice to say that I could smoke this one cigar every day for the rest of my life and die happy.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I lit up the RP Decade lonsdale about 2 hours ago. The first inch or so was rather bland, but after that it developed pretty nicely. The construction is excellent, burn has been very even. It did put itself out a couple times, but relighting didn't seem to affect smokability at all. It's definitely a good cigar, but I won't make a habit of paying $11 for it.

Edit: the cigar put itself out again with 2 inches left, for a total of 4 times. This last time was within 30 seconds or so of a puff. 90% humidity probably has something to do with it though.
  • Options
    wilbr11wilbr11 Posts: 49
    Okay, Time to be JEALOUS of me! So After giving up on Cleveland Mississippi My colleague and I took a trip to Memphis Yesterday. We stopped by a small B&M in the mall to see what they had. She told us the Other Tinderbox they owned was having a tasting. So OFF we went. Only to Find that PERDOMO was there. They are in the process of releasing a NEW line that doesn't release until September called the Patriarch. WONDERFUL Cigar. I got a box of them, and due to that purchase I Got a FREE yes, I used the F word FRREEE Vector Triple Flame Thundra Tabletop Lighter. Then The Perdomo Rep hooked me up with a sampler of thier UN released 10th anniversary cigars with the stipulation I write back and tell him what I think. After the Patriarch which is a Nicauraguan (Sp?) Puro with a Corojo wrapper, I had a Maduro Limitada from Perdomo. All of this mind you FREE. So, not such a bad trip after all. Now I just gotta fit all this free stuff into my Carry-on.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    wilbr11:
    Okay, Time to be JEALOUS of me! So After giving up on Cleveland Mississippi My colleague and I took a trip to Memphis Yesterday. We stopped by a small B&M in the mall to see what they had. She told us the Other Tinderbox they owned was having a tasting. So OFF we went. Only to Find that PERDOMO was there. They are in the process of releasing a NEW line that doesn't release until September called the Patriarch. WONDERFUL Cigar. I got a box of them, and due to that purchase I Got a FREE yes, I used the F word FRREEE Vector Triple Flame Thundra Tabletop Lighter. Then The Perdomo Rep hooked me up with a sampler of thier UN released 10th anniversary cigars with the stipulation I write back and tell him what I think. After the Patriarch which is a Nicauraguan (Sp?) Puro with a Corojo wrapper, I had a Maduro Limitada from Perdomo. All of this mind you FREE. So, not such a bad trip after all. Now I just gotta fit all this free stuff into my Carry-on.
    @sshole ... LOL Great score buddy.
  • Options
    Holy C***, Nice score there Wil. How can others find out about cigar tastings in there own area. I never hear this stuff.
  • Options
    Seriously nice score, wilbr.

Kas, best way is to sign up for the mail/email list at all the local B&Ms. The one I frequent most is having a Zino tasting tonight, unfortunately I'll be at work. The ones there cost $10 to get in, but you get at least 1 free cigar and a $10 gift certificate, so its not bad.
  • Options
    Yea I sign up for the local B&M here. He does really nice events they're usually cheap or free but you always get your money's worth. He had a San Cristobal event not too long ago. $10 got you a San Cristobal perfecto($15 stick) scotch and chocolate.
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    yeah none of my shops do this =( sad day for me
  • Options
    No tastings? The shops typically don't put them on themselves a sales rep from the company puts them on in the shop.
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    ill double check but so far i have yet to hear anything about this
  • Options
    madurofan:
    you always get your money's worth... scotch and chocolate.
    Oh, yeah. I almost forgot, the $10 bucks includes food & drinks too. This time they are serving Wild Turkey American Honey.

Last month the shop here had a tasting for the new Playboy cigars, complete with a Playmate (unfortunately, she was just there to sign pictures, not available for tasting). In 2 weeks they are doing the La Flor Dominicana Ligero.

Because of my work schedule I haven't been able to make it to any of them...
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    Oh, yeah. I almost forgot, the $10 bucks includes food & drinks too. This time they are serving Wild Turkey American Honey.
    i have some of this at home, it pairs very well with a spicy cigar.
    Scrambler:
    unfortunately, she was just there to sign pictures, not available for tasting
    LMAO ... you should've asked, you never know ....
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    madurofan:
    you always get your money's worth... scotch and chocolate.

Last month the shop here had a tasting for the new Playboy cigars, complete with a Playmate (unfortunately, she was just there to sign pictures, not available for tasting). In 2 weeks they are doing the La Flor Dominicana Ligero.

Because of my work schedule I haven't been able to make it to any of them...
    Playmate tasting, that would be worth the price of admission alone.
    The free cigars, drinks, and mini wieners would be a bonus !
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Thanks for the setup. You should have at least told Scrambler you were planning to attend.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    kaspera79:
    Thanks for the setup. You should have at least told Scrambler you were planning to attend.
    Har- Dee- Har-Har, I warn people all the time, about wording things carefully and yet I fell into my own trap. Good one.
  • Options
    That was such a slam dunk I thought for sure you did it on purpose. My family likes to set that stuff up all the time... when they get on a roll, our family reunions look like a 6-court tennis tournament.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    That was such a slam dunk I thought for sure you did it on purpose. My family likes to set that stuff up all the time... when they get on a roll, our family reunions look like a 6-court tennis tournament.
    Hey joe, I have four brothers and all of them are very witty. Imagine what family get togethers are like at our houses. It can go on for hours. Bad thing none of them smoke cigars, Maybe they were adopted, I'll ask mom. ( I am her favorite )
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    DiasFlak:
    i bought a 5 vegas classic from a local shop down here and this is a great cigar! at one point not sure why... but the taste i got for a minute reminded me of KFC lol i dont know why but it was great i think when i get home im gonna order me some of these!
    I'm pretty sure there's one in the package I sent you...
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:

I just finished a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1 and it was hands down the best cigar I've had to date, 90 minutes of pure bliss. I am really at a loss for words, so a description would be difficult. Suffice to say that I could smoke this one cigar every day for the rest of my life and die happy.
    That's quite an endorsement, Joe.

While out with a couple of friends last night, I had an H. Upmann corona, which was stronger than I remember them being. Then I had an R&J Reserva Real. Good times.
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:

That's quite an endorsement, Joe.

While out with a couple of friends last night, I had an H. Upmann corona, which was stronger than I remember them being. Then I had an R&J Reserva Real. Good times.
    I'm gonna pick up a couple Reserva Reals next time I'm at the shop. I didn't care for the one I had, but I'd like to see how they progress with some age. Of course, I'm still searching for a Connecticut-wrapper cigar I actually like.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Had a Padilla 1968 today. First one and it was excellent. Tonight was a Perdomo Lot 23. Really enjoy this smoke.
  • Options
    All this talk about the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, and I couldn't resist pulling out the RP '92 Churchill that I managed to keep my hands off for nearly a month. So tasty. I love this cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    today was a 5 vegas classic. Ive been recomending it so much that i had to smoke one.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Just finished off the Gurkha Symphony from the 5 for 5 Sampler. Not bad at all. It was especially good with a cold glass of tea after a good day's work. The only bad thing is it was the last stick I had, and won't be getting anymore for another week. At least I have a steady income now though, which means I can start stocking up.
  • Options
    Nice, Matt -- soon you'll be like me and sitting on a stack of tupperdors! I've still just got the one small box, which I keep a rotating stock in as my "smoking queue"... the others just pass the time in tupperware.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tonight was a Sherpa for me. My first one left me a bit unimpressed, however, with a bit of rest on them this, my second one, was much better. While still not a stellar cigar, it is good for what it is and I'll certainly come back to it.
  • Options
    I decided to go with the Savinelli ELR. These must have been sitting around in the back at my tobacconists for a while, since the cellophane is a bit yellowed. I just lit it up, but I'm impressed so far. Thanks for the heads up on these, DiasFlak.
  • Options
    Yea all you guys suck for the second night in a row it was nothing! TONIGHT will be something good to celebrate