Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    wilbr11wilbr11 Posts: 49
    Had the Sol Cubano Artisian Tonight. I read a few, um "Mediocre" if that's what you wanna call them, reviews and figured I'd fire it up and give it a chance. As i'm sitting here with a NASTY after taste, I can definitely say I second EVERY review I've read on this cigar so far. The other one I have will be resting for a LONG time. I wasn't impressed in the least. Best thing i could say about this one... Um the ash did hold tenaciously. Beyond that, It had a decent start kind of reminded me of Southern Comfort Pipe tobbaco as I'm a bit of a pipe smoker as well. But this quickly fizzled into a bland cigar altogether. Overall I wasn't impressed. I'll have to smoke a Ghurka Titan tommorrow night to make up for tonight's dud.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sounds like a real bummer wilbr. I almost don't want to smoke the Artisans that I have for fear that they look better than they smoke. Well, at least if mine are no good, I didn't pay for them, so there is that much.
  • Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    Last night was the Man O War robusto. This cigar was absolutely fantastic!!! It started peppery and full bodied...the draw was perfect and the cigar burned very well. About 2 inches in the cigar mellowed considerably and it was just a pleasant nutty and flavorful smoke with a pepper finish to the nub. Maybe one of the best smokes ive ever had the pleasure of enjoying. I know this cigar wont be around long...so imma buy my box soon!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my dad is in town. time for some good cigars. cigar #1: 5 cegas cask. these were my last two. it was a good decision. i may never get to smoke one of those ever again. DAMN YOU SHORT RUN CIGARS!! wonderful. id make the same decision again.

#2 CAO Italia. a consistant favorite.

good stories good conversation. Good family.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    my dad is in town. time for some good cigars. cigar #1: 5 cegas cask. these were my last two. it was a good decision. i may never get to smoke one of those ever again. DAMN YOU SHORT RUN CIGARS!! wonderful. id make the same decision again.

#2 CAO Italia. a consistant favorite.

good stories good conversation. Good family.
    ... and obviously good cigars too.
  • Options
    Tonight was the local Rodriguez torpedo. This has consistently been a pleasant cigar, though I must say they are much better fresh than with a bit of rest. Here's what I like about these cigars, when he rolls them, he gives each cigar a light mist of cognac, the cigar tastes like a cigar without any cognac infusion, but the wrapper leaves a sweetness on your lips that is just wonderful. Good cigar for relaxing after a particularly difficult day.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I just had an Avo Domaine #30, and wow, is this a good cigar. I'd give it a full review, but with a bit of my summer cold still lingering, I don't want to short change it. Instead, I'll just say it had terrific flavor, the burn was even, and although the draw was just a bit loose, it didn't smoke itself at all. I got a good 1.5 hours out of it. Avo is one of those brands that was always just under my radar, somehow. The Domaine caught my eye for some reason about a month ago, so I ordered up a fiver and I'm glad I did.

I should also add that -- unless my remaining stuffiness fooled me -- this is the cigar I would pick if I were going to smoke in a public place where people might find cigar smoke offensive. It has a very floral, not unpleasant secondhand smoke.

Highly recommended.

On a personal note: man it's nice to be able to taste things again.
  • Options
    I had me two cigars today, whoopee! In the early evening I had a Camacho Havana robusto. My first experience with this was not so great, I smoked one straight out of the mailbox and it just was not good, but me being one to not give up so easily, I let the remaining ones rest for a spell and boy did it make a world of difference. Without going into much detail, this was a pretty good cigar.

I just finished up with an Ashton 6.9 x 48, they call it the Prime Minister... kind of a dumb name IMO. But it was a good cigar. The construction was absolutely flawless and the draw was perfect with just the right amount of resistance. Now this was a bit more mild than I usually like, but it did come into its own about 1.5 inches in. The flavor profile is one I'd have to describe as floral, with maybe a hint of woodiness. I enjoyed it but I don't think its a box purchase kind of cigar for me as I would not smoke this with any regularity, but I can see keeping a few on hand. Smoking time was about 90 minutes. My thanks go to Pilot711 for this one, this was one of the cigars he sent me in the PIF a while back.

Joe
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    last night i had praseneia reserva organica i didnt like it at all put it out half way threw and was done ...
  • Options
    shootg32shootg32 Posts: 11
    ON saturday i bought for the first time MAXX freak cigars and I must say for me and my golf partner we both did not enjoy them nearly as much as the MAXX Vice. The freak was a way stronger smoke and was hard to stay lit for me. Gonna have to go back to the Vice as I enjoy a lighter flavorful cigar!!
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I'm in Boston dealing with this weather in the northeast today. Have to fly to New York then Los Angeles. If I ever make it to the west coast this evening I have a nice R.P. Vintage 92 waiting in my travel humi. That and a cold brew will be a good finish to a long day. Hey j0z3r glad you enjoyed the Ashton Prime Minister. Take care. P
  • Options
    The RP 92 has never let me down. Great smoke.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Yesterday was a Matasa Legend. Really enjoy this cigar.

Today I had a Monte Christo #3 and a Puros Indios Reserva Maxima 2003.

• Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    5 Vegas "A"
  • Options
    wilbr11wilbr11 Posts: 49
    Well I started the Gurkha Regent Perfecto tonight. As my travels for work bring me to Clevland Mississippi. A Hellacious place and one I hope to never visit again. I had to put the cigar out roughly 2/3 thru due to the IMMENSE mesquito attack I was taking on in the Hell hole. I drove approximately 2 hours southwest of memphis after arriving at the airport and most of it being thru acres and acres of corn and cotton crop. But, I'm taking a trip back to memphis tommorrow evening and visiting around up there. Then Work some more. Leaving this vile place on Wednesday Afternoon, which can't get here quick enough I might add.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Mesquitos? are those the ones that come from south of the border?
  • Options
    Tonight I had about half of an Onyx Reserve mini belicoso. Honestly I'm not impressed with this one. I don't know, the flavor just really didn't do it for me and I had had my fill about mid way through. I wonder if I might like a different size better. I don't see a 94 rated cigar in this one though.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, Joe. I'm not sure, but I think that's the size I usually smoke. I don't smoke them terribly often, but I've enjoyed them when I do.

I feel your pain, wilbr. I grew up in rice country. Those flooded fields produce, pound for pound, as many mosquitoes as rice grains.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Dang, jozer... That's one of my all-time favorites. I always love the Onyx reserve. How much rest did it have on it? I've never had one sitting around for more than a few weeks.

This weekend I had a Camacho 1962 Churchill with my brother and brother-in-law. Good times. That's another all-time favorite. Sunday night was a Cusano 18 Double Connecticut (thanks, Scrambler!). I still haven't found anything in a Connecticut wrapper that I'd be excited to try again, but I've got a couple 5 Vegas Golds waiting, and they look promising.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Tonight I had about half of an Onyx Reserve mini belicoso. Honestly I'm not impressed with this one. I don't know, the flavor just really didn't do it for me and I had had my fill about mid way through. I wonder if I might like a different size better. I don't see a 94 rated cigar in this one though.
    i didnt think it was a 94 either, but i did think that it was very good.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Tonight I think it's gonna be a RP Decade. I stopped by a local B&M after lunch today to pick up a Nub Cameroon (only kind I haven't tried) and ended up with 2 Decades (a lonsdale and a torpedo), a Padron 1964, a Quintero, and the Nub I went in for.

I meant to grab a couple Fuente Anejos from the cabinet up front, but forgot. Probably better anyway since I spent $50 on 5 cigars, with the 10% discount they give me because I've done (non-cigar) consulting work for the guy that owns their parent company.
  • Options
    nice haul!! I hope the nub is all you hoped for.

btw PM SENT (scrambler)
  • Options
    Guys, to qualify my experience with the Onyx, I did smoke it on an empty stomach so that may have had some bearing on how I perceived the cigar. I've had them resting in my humidor for a few months now. I'm not one to give up though, I didn't think it was bad it just didn't suit my fancy last night.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

btw PM SENT (scrambler)
    replied
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    kuzi16:

btw PM SENT (scrambler)
    replied
    you RULE!!
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    i bought a 5 vegas classic from a local shop down here and this is a great cigar! at one point not sure why... but the taste i got for a minute reminded me of KFC lol i dont know why but it was great i think when i get home im gonna order me some of these!
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    i bought a 5 vegas classic from a local shop down here and this is a great cigar! at one point not sure why... but the taste i got for a minute reminded me of KFC lol i dont know why but it was great i think when i get home im gonna order me some of these!
    I had my first Classic less than 2 weeks ago. I agree, it is really good and one I could smoke everyday without feeling cheated.
  • Options
    Tonight I tried a Matasa 30th anniversary. Had high hopes for this one - looked great and was heavy in the hand. Sorry to say I was disappointed - flavor was not for me and smoke was lacking. Much prefer the Matasa from the legends line. Got a cou[le more that are going to rest for some time. This is supposed to be a premium, glad I didn't pay retail.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    sdip:
    Tonight I tried a Matasa 30th anniversary. Had high hopes for this one - looked great and was heavy in the hand. Sorry to say I was disappointed - flavor was not for me and smoke was lacking. Much prefer the Matasa from the legends line. Got a cou[le more that are going to rest for some time. This is supposed to be a premium, glad I didn't pay retail.
    Hey sdip, after reading the cigar of the month review I place this one in my aging humi with a one year tag on it. Maybe it needs some time, It looks great and sounds promising based on the write up " Not to be missed... joins the ranks of Opus X. " The jury is still out on this one. Any other reviews out there ?
  • Options

Kas:

Thats my plan - I have another toro plus the perfecto from the COTM. If anyone wants to trade for them, I would be willing to move them. Then again, just might be a flavor profile that's not for me.