Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Finally got around to smoking the Cusano Corojo '97. Was a pretty damn good cigar. I would buy this again.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Just finished my second Don Carlos from j0z3r. The first one was decent, but I don't think I let it rest long enough after shipping. This one was fantastic. Not the most complex smoke, but damn tasty. I'm definitely glad I have a box on the way.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Scrambler:
    Just finished my second Don Carlos from j0z3r. The first one was decent, but I don't think I let it rest long enough after shipping. This one was fantastic. Not the most complex smoke, but damn tasty. I'm definitely glad I have a box on the way.
    That's interesting, Scramz. I find the DC pretty complex.

I had the RP Summer Blend that maddy sent me. Nice flavor, but the wrapper split on me. That's the first time I've ever had that happen.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    That sucks that the wrapper split, it happens tho. I sent you a lancero didn't I? I'm surprised with the thin rings you prefer that the first wrapper split you have seen.

Did it make it unsmokable? If not what'd you think?
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    I have two Don Carlos #2's left from when I went to Miami in October 2006. I want to smoke them but I think I want them to age even longer.

I am smoking a Fuente 8-5-8 Maduro. Burn is excellent. Draw is a little tight. I'm not used to smoking such a small gauge. Most everything I have been smoking lately is 52+ except for the 1495 1994. But the taste is Typical Fuente. It's my last one. I'll have to get more soon.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    That sucks that the wrapper split, it happens tho. I sent you a lancero didn't I? I'm surprised with the thin rings you prefer that the first wrapper split you have seen.

Did it make it unsmokable? If not what'd you think?
    It was a churchill. The split didn't make it unsmokable, just troublesome, and I ended up losing a good deal of the wrapper. That being the case, I'm hesitant to try to describe it or otherwise evaluate it. Like I said, though, the flavor I did get was nice; there wasn't just tons of it, but it was nice.
  • Options
    Oh wow it split and unraveled, ****! The RP is loaded with flavor, IMHO, so I must've just sent you a bad stick. I have a habit of sending bad sticks, a couple I've sent to kuz and now this one to you! ****!
  • Options
    Don't sweat it. Like you said: it happens. I'm sure not all the stogies I've sent out have been perfect, either.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Scrambler:
    Yeah, it seems the DC just needs several months of sleep before they should be smoked, takes a while for them to settle in. Certainly a good cigar and one I plan to keep around.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Scrambler:
    Yeah, it seems the DC just needs several months of sleep before they should be smoked, takes a while for them to settle in. Certainly a good cigar and one I plan to keep around.
    i would say a year is good for the don carlos. even then the power was a bit much even for this strong cigar lover.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I just finished off a Gurkha Titan in the Special Edition size from the Boffo Sampler. I was a little nervous about taking on a full-bodied cigar while I'm on my diet, but I felt well-prepared after a good-sized dinner. The taste wasn't very dynamic, but was cool and leathery, with some sweetness here and there. It took forever to smoke, and I can't imagine sitting down with one in the half-inch longer size. They smoke very slowly.

This was definitely a great cigar, although like most Gurkhas it is hard to justify it at MSRP. Still, this is one of the finest smokes I've had. I got two of these in the sampler, and I'll be saving the second for something special, as it's an incredibly relaxing cigar. This was the perfect choice for what has been the longest stretch of stressful work I've seen in a long time. I've enjoyed all the Gurkhas I've smoked, and this may be the best of the bunch.
  • Options
    Just lit up my G.A.R., courtesy of Vankleek. I think I'm gonna have to get some more of these.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Scrambler:
    i would say a year is good for the don carlos. even then the power was a bit much even for this strong cigar lover.
    That's my plan, though I'll smoke some along the way to see how they change, or it they do at all.

Today I had a Legends Blue label, that would be the one by Matasa. There's not much to say besides I really liked this one. One of those cigars that was good from light to nub.
  • Options
    Nothing. I'm taking the night off.

Glad you enjoyed the Titan, doody-head.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well this is my friday guys, I'm outta here in about 15 minutes or so and having a little vacation. Have 5 days off and I'm heading to the lake to drink and smoke and hang out with the guys around a fire each night. Not sure what all I'll smoke, or drink for that matter, but I'll keep everyone posted.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Scrambler:
    Just lit up my G.A.R., courtesy of Vankleek. I think I'm gonna have to get some more of these.
    How was it? I think that they released a little early, but they have now had an additional 2-3 months on them.
  • Options
    Finally got around to start the Rocky Patel Sun Grown. So far so good. Burn is off a little but that is probably my fault.
  • Options
    I just met Rocky Patel. I'm smoking one of his Summer Blend now.
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    You suck. Hows the Summer?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Scrambler:
    Tell him I said "hey" and that I love the 1992 vintage and the decade.
  • Options
    I made some purchases today. I got 5 of the Gurkha Royal Salute, another box of La Aurora 1495 1994 and about 2 each size of the Nub Cameroon. I gotta cancel that damn credit card!
  • Options
    Good golly. If when the 1495 1994's are all sold out, I decide I'd like one, I'll know to just come on this board and ask for a trade, cuz the people here are the ones who bought them all.
  • Options
    I'm up to 5 1/2 boxes now. Holy crap, no wonder my credit card is maxed.
  • Options
    Today was a somewhat disappointing cigar day, I'm pretty much 0 for 3 on the day. I tried to sit down with a La Aurora second in the Churchill size, but soon found that the draw was way too tight and it tasted like nothing at all, I ended up tossing that one. So, a little later on I grabbed a Legends Red label (Perdomo) only to find that this too had a tighter-than-desirable draw, though the flavor was exceptional. Fast forward a bit, and I had grabbed a Camacho Havana H3 to sample...the wrapper exploded when I snipped it, and it just didn't have a good flavor...not unlike the first H2 I had, and that one took a few months to settle into a nice balance.

Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and I'm itchin' for a Perdomo ESV '91 second, it's a damn tasty cigar if I do say so.
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    I was tossing around the idea of sniping you on that last auction for boxes :) When it came end time, I just didn't feel like I needed more at the moment. I'm up around 54 myself, which is four over my target, so I'll keep an eye on the auctions, but I'm done going all out for these babies.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Scrambler:
    I was tossing around the idea of sniping you on that last auction for boxes :) When it came end time, I just didn't feel like I needed more at the moment. I'm up around 54 myself, which is four over my target, so I'll keep an eye on the auctions, but I'm done going all out for these babies.
    Four more wouldn't put me over my target. You know. If anybody's wondering.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    so I'll keep an eye on the auctions, but I'm done going all out for these babies.
    Same here. I didn't plan to get this many. I figured I would get outbid on at least some of them. At that price though, I'm happy.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Today was a somewhat disappointing cigar day, I'm pretty much 0 for 3 on the day. I tried to sit down with a La Aurora second in the Churchill size, but soon found that the draw was way too tight and it tasted like nothing at all, I ended up tossing that one. So, a little later on I grabbed a Legends Red label (Perdomo) only to find that this too had a tighter-than-desirable draw, though the flavor was exceptional. Fast forward a bit, and I had grabbed a Camacho Havana H3 to sample...the wrapper exploded when I snipped it, and it just didn't have a good flavor...not unlike the first H2 I had, and that one took a few months to settle into a nice balance.
    More info on that last one, por favor. How old was the one you sent me?
  • Options
    urbino:
    Four more wouldn't put me over my target. You know. If anybody's wondering.
    lol, can't you just wait for the pass to get to you?
  • Options
    Heh. I guess. If I have to. And I cross my legs.