Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Well, I had every intention of breaking out one of my old pipes and smoking a bowl this evening, but I can't for the life of me find my old pipe tool. Guess I'll have to smoke a high-quality cigar. Woe is me. ;)

I think it'll be this Padilla Obsidian that sdip sent me a while back.
  • Options
    I just finished a CAO Brazilia Amazon. As always, a great smoke, although I did have a few minor burn issues. We've also been having some good sun in the Puget Sound area, so it was a perfect day to be out on the balcony with a good cigar.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Smoked a Gurkha tonight. Think it was a Gold, but it might have been a Signature 101. Took the band off some time ago and can't remember.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Went to a herf in Nashville today and started with a Tat West Coast and finished with a Camacho Liberty 07. A great smoking day. :)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    For those of you with cold weather issues (it's gotta be in the mid-40s here), I have a recommendation: the Avo Domaine. Aside from being a great cigar, the 2d-hand smoke is so mild I can hold the thing in my mouth without complaint -- all the way down to a nub. You can keep both hands in your pockets.
    ummm urbi.. One hand isn't enough..stop bragging.
  • Options
    I had my first CAO Brazilian earlier tonight; the box-pressed toro. Good cigar. Pre-light, its smell reminded me of the Hemingway. I've had these for a few weeks, but I think I'm going to let the other one rest for at least a few more. This one seemed like it was a little raw, still.

Finished off the night with my favorite finishing-off-a-night cigar: Camacho 1962 perfecto. Great, as always.
  • Options
    Oliva Special S diadema. Excellent, as usual. Nice, long, smooth, tasty smoke.
  • Options
    TshawwTshaww Posts: 16
    Just out of curiosity, and I wasnt sure where to put this, has anyone tried a CAO Italia? I was thinking about picking up a few different CAO's to try out and wondering how the Italia stacked up.

Thanks!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    sunday night-- cao mx2 /rum & sierra mist(actually very good- kinda tropical) hot tub at 102 degrees-cool carolinas night. smoke lasted about 2 hours-hints of coffee beans and chocolate,little peppery. had just bought and could not wait to try,flavors not as pronounced as some reviews i had read.overall good smoke/good time- should i have let it set awhile?
  • Options
    SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Another Sol Cubano Cabinet. This was a nice mid-day smoke. Large volume of smoke. A lot of my cigars seem to go out half-way in it. I hate having to relight as they turn peppery and take a while to settle-down.
    I think my humi is too humid. But I seem to have this lighting problem at 65% too.

Oh well, I am still having fun.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Last nite I had an Ashton VSG, actually my first one, and man was it good. Have three more I got in a sampler can't wait to smoke them now. May have to get a box if they are as good as the first one. Urbi have you had any of these.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tshaww:
    Just out of curiosity, and I wasnt sure where to put this, has anyone tried a CAO Italia? I was thinking about picking up a few different CAO's to try out and wondering how the Italia stacked up.

Thanks!
    I think the Itallia stacks up quite well, and I'm not the only one around here who thinks so. If you're gonna get a sampling, be sure to get yourself a CX2, that's a pretty good CAO as welll.
  • Options
    dep691:
    Last nite I had an Ashton VSG, actually my first one, and man was it good. Have three more I got in a sampler can't wait to smoke them now. May have to get a box if they are as good as the first one. Urbi have you had any of these.
    I've had one, dep. Got another one resting. I agree with your assessment, entirely. I probably won't be buying a box anytime soon, but I'll definitely try to keep some on hand.

Last night I had my first La Cuna Bin 1720. I got interrupted and had to cut it short, but my first impression is that these are pretty darn good smokes.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'll have to try one of those La Cuna's soon.

I just finished up a Romeo y Julieta Merevas (Petit Corona). Not the best smoke ever, but a decent short smoke for the afternoon.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Haven't smoked since Friday! Driving my car this week so I'mnot sure I will be smoking until at least Friday. :-(
  • Options
    Just finished off a Gurkha Centurian. Excellent cigar. Although I found it to be a little too earthy or woody for my tastes. Also, during the first third of the cigar I had a small wrapper explosion, but with some TLC the burn eventually got corrected.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Last night I had a great Onyx Reserve Robusto! Awesome smoke! Had it in the humi about 6-7 months and it seemed to mellow a bit and some of the flavors were more pronounced. Took about and hour and ten minutes to smoke and tried to get a bit uneven about 2 inches in but corrected itself. Was a great smoke to cap off a great weekend!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had pretty good luck giving the Onyx about 6 months as well Puro, like you said, it really helped the cigar to mellow out and it was fantabulous. My experience is with the mini belicoso, but I imagine the same would hold true for all of the sizes.

This afternoon I had a Padron 2000 habano, this is quickly becoming a favored smoke, the size is really good for a quicker 45-60 minute smoke and I really like the flavor. I just finished up with a Vegas Robaina unico, torpedo, which was somewhat of a letdown, the flavor was there but the draw was too damn tight to really get any of it, oh well there's always next time.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    So I decided to give a Cigar.com Cuban a try.. Well after about 3 weeks in the humi, the cigar got a little softer, not so dried feeling. The smell was rather pleasant, a little earthy smell. I got some grass taste off pre light, and it was a taste throughout the cigar. Mixed with some earthy and wood tastes. The cigar kept pretty even, though it started to wander. I would say that this wasn't a cigar I would buy again, but it wasn't bad, just not up my alley.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I had pretty good luck giving the Onyx about 6 months as well Puro, like you said, it really helped the cigar to mellow out and it was fantabulous. My experience is with the mini belicoso, but I imagine the same would hold true for all of the sizes.

This afternoon I had a Padron 2000 habano, this is quickly becoming a favored smoke, the size is really good for a quicker 45-60 minute smoke and I really like the flavor. I just finished up with a Vegas Robaina unico, torpedo, which was somewhat of a letdown, the flavor was there but the draw was too damn tight to really get any of it, oh well there's always next time.
    I'm glad to know that made a difference for you too, I wasn't sure if it was really the time I had on it, or if it was just that one cigar. I've got a few more in there that I've had that long and I plan on holding at least one of them for a year plus. If it gets even better than the last one I'll be buying boxes and boxes of those babies!
  • Options
    Well, it is snowing here! So, I can't really drive my car in the snow so I went home for lunch, dropped my car off and got my truck. Along with that, I got the Perdomo Lot 23. Didn't like the first couple of puffs but then it mellowed and is developing nicely.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Well, it is snowing here! So, I can't really drive my car in the snow so I went home for lunch, dropped my car off and got my truck. Along with that, I got the Perdomo Lot 23. Didn't like the first couple of puffs but then it mellowed and is developing nicely.
    What !! How much snow can you be getting now, or better yet, what are you driving that is so snow proof ? Back to cigars, I found that the Lot 23's I have had take a few minutes to develope too, and get much better when you let them rest a few months..
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    rwheelwright:
    What !! How much snow can you be getting now, or better yet, what are you driving that is so snow proof ? Back to cigars, I found that the Lot 23's I have had take a few minutes to develope too, and get much better when you let them rest a few months..
    My car has performance tires on it and I learned a long time ago they SUCK in the snow. So, I went home and got my truck. I have 4 wheel drive and my tires are pretty good in the snow. My car has AWD but that doesn't help with performance tires.
  • Options
    I love snow!  Maybe because we never got much of it in Texas or maybe because i spent too long in the damn desert that all I ever want is cold weather.  Tonights' smoke happens to be Partagas Naturales but im new to the cigar world so any suggestion from you guys and or gals would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Specops4U:
    I love snow!  Maybe because we never got much of it in Texas or maybe because i spent too long in the damn desert that all I ever want is cold weather.  Tonights' smoke happens to be Partagas Naturales but im new to the cigar world so any suggestion from you guys and or gals would be greatly appreciated.
    If you end up liking the Partagas Natural, try the Partagas Aristocrat. It is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Specops4U:
    Where you at in TX specops?
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Need to catch up here a bit... I've smoked a fair amount these past few days, and it all came from Dr. Urbino. Saturday night we went to a Halloween party, and while there I smoked a Nestor Reserve Maduro Torpedo which Urby sent a while back in a trade. These are great.. like a poor man's Onyx Reserve. OK, well, the Onyx IS a poor man's stick, so I guess the Nestor is like a homeless man's Onyx. I like these a lot.

Sunday, while tailgating the Panther game (which was awesome, BTW) I had a Sol Cubano Sumatra Churchill. These would be great cigars at twice the price. This is the second one I've had, and the flavor is perfect for me.

Tonight I had my first ever Fuente Don Carlos. A No. 3. Wow! These get a lot of hype around here, and I have to agree that they're wonderful. This reminded me a lot of the CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon, with more flavor, more spice, and more body. They're a bit pricey, but well worth it, IMO. Thanks, Urbs! 3 cigars in 4 days. I'm on a roll.
  • Options
    I had a feeling you'd like that Nestor, given your fondness for the Onyx.

You and I have switched places: I haven't had anything the last couple of nights. May not tonight, either.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I had my Ghurka Beast from the COTMC after 5 months, for my birthday.

Maybe it was my little bit of a cold, but this one was a little mild. Super-Smooth, smoked for over 2 hours, but just a little spice at the end
  • Options
    Im originally from Houston but i live in NC now.  I plan on moving back there when I retire.