Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:
    Here's the precis, Joz: ass. The Swisher cigarillo tastes like ass. With a vanilla spritz.

The La Herencia Cubana, OTOH, is pretty excellent. Starts leathery, develops a hint of sweet cinnamon, and then kind of carries both through to the end.
    What kind of ass specifically?
    The kind you smoke?....?

Glad you liked the La Herencia...was it by chance one of the ones I sent you?
    No, those are still resting. This was one I'd picked up in a sampler or a COTM or something, earlier.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This afternoon was a Padron 5000 maduro courtesy of our friend bbc020, I liked this one a lot, thanks for that. I just finished fighting with a Padilla Obsidian, the damn thing just didn't want to draw and I got tired of straining for a bit of smoke.
  • Options
    I had no burn issues with the Obsidian I smoked the other night, but it didn't impress me much. I like the '68 much better.

Tonight, I had a Bolivar churchill. It's a nice, smooth smoke; nothing spectacular, but a solid cigar.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r, glad you enjoyed the Padron Maduro.

I enjoyed a Cohiba XV 652 much earlier. Had atleast 6 months in my humi, was gifted to me from my friend and had a seriously yellow cello, I'm guessing he had it sittin' for a good bit.

This thing burned like a champ. While the draw was a bit tight, I found it to be sufficient. Burned very slowly and the smoke stayed smooth all the way til there was about an inch left, at that point I let it go out. Had some bold woodiness, had only a tinge of spice. Was extremely smooth for a full bodied smoke. Was sad to put it down.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Just had my first Joya de Nicarauga Celebracion Consul. Little strong and peppery, but overall an excellent cigar. Got a 5 pack on auction cheap. Super smoke.

• Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    FINALLY! A nice warm night and I don't have a million things I have to get done... As an added bonus the wife and child are away so it's all "me" time... Ahhhh.... Enjoying a Pepin JJ... Honestly not one of my favorite smokes, but always a solid performer and I really do enjoy the spicyness that develops... ;)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Finished up with a La Herencia Cubana lonsdale a little bit ago. I like this cigar, it is not a stomach twister or a knee shaker, but it is full of palate teasing goodness.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Let's see... weekend update.
    Last night I hung out with my first Acid, a Def Sea Limited. I like the shape but I could never pin down what the flavor was supposed to be. Not a bad smoke, despite the wrapper unraveling on me, I'm unlikely to travel this road again.

Enjoyed this morning with a Natural Root alongside an Irish Espresso. It was a rough week on the road and it felt good to unwind. This evening I enjoyed a CAO Italia Largo Tubo.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Finished up with a La Herencia Cubana lonsdale a little bit ago. I like this cigar, it is not a stomach twister or a knee shaker, but it is full of palate teasing goodness.
    Excellent. I'll look forward to those, then.

Right now, I'm "smoking" a pot of chili. Got it on the stove simmering. Helloooo, cool weather.
  • Options
    Just finished up a Gurkha Titan. Great stick. Thick, smooth smoke with a good amount of cocoa and coffee. In the last half it developed alot of espresso with just a tad bit of a toasty spice on the finish. This is definitely one of my favorites now, as it was indeed a satisfying smoke.
  • Options
    Bolivar robusto. Pretty nice stick. Lit well, burned evenly and drew nicely. Good flavor with some spice. My palette isn't really refined well enough to detect more than sweetness and spicyness yet. Was tempted to try to smoke it past the band but it started to go bitter on me.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I smoked my first Camacho 1962 Pre Embargo tonight. I have a few and let them age a while before I had one. I would say it was decent and started to really get good when I had to let it go out and go play my gig for the night. When I finished it up it was just OK. Probably from sitting and re-lighting. After that, I did something that you all would probably kill me for doing. I started a Gurkha Marqueza a couple of weeks ago. I put it in a glass tube cause I couldn't finish it and forgot about it. Tonight, I found it and smoked it. Started out better than I remember but then got really strong again. I ended up tossing it at around the two inch mark. That is one strong cigar. If I ever get another one, I'll let it age for a LONG time before I attemp it again. Brutal!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I just had me a Brazilian! A cigar.com Brazilian that is.. I liked it a little more than the cuban but it wasn't that flavorful. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad, and I would smoke it again, it just didn't pop with me.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I just had me a Brazilian! A cigar.com Brazilian that is.. I liked it a little more than the cuban but it wasn't that flavorful. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad, and I would smoke it again, it just didn't pop with me.
    That's interesting. The Brazilian is the only blend I DO like. I think I will revisit all the blends in the future but I'm in no rush since there are so many other cigars to try and I have an inventory of like 400.
  • Options
    I had another Upmann Vintage Cameroon toro, earlier. Once again, I really liked this cigar. These have earned a permanent spot in my humi.
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of love for it here, though I didn't love it, I did think it was a decent smoke. One thing I did like was it had a great draw with lots of smoke.
  • Options
    TshawwTshaww Posts: 16
    I picked up an edge and an Ashton Vintage today, supposedly the Vintage is a step above a la aroma de cuba and is similar (I am a fan of the la aroma de cuba). The edge should be interesting I am expecting a nice strong smoke, which I enjoy, I hope I don't get dissapointed. Opinions and experiences people of had smoking an edge please?

• Options
    Smoking a Man O' War Torpedo. This one is better than the last one I had.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    There seems to be a lot of love for it here, though I didn't love it, I did think it was a decent smoke. One thing I did like was it had a great draw with lots of smoke.
    That's cool. Tastes vary. That's why they make 'em all different.
  • Options
    It's a little rainy here, but I braved it and just finished a don carlos 2006 God of Fire. I must say that I really liked this guy. The pre draw was tasty, but after the first few puffs I just sat back and enjoyed. I couldn't really pinpoint any flavors, perhaps wood, pepper, earth, hint of coffee, but all in all it was enjoyable. One thing that was cool was the ash held to about the last inch and a half. The burn was a little uneven at the beginning, stabilized, then got a little out of hand. It eventually evened off but after that the ash fell.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you liked it. Did you get any of the Carlito? He used a Cameroon wrapper. Even though I have like 30 of his, I haven't had one in a while. It's a cigar that I smoke on special occasions like the Don Carlos God of Fire or the Don Carlos 30th Anniversary. I had the Torpedo Carlito a couple of months ago. I don't remember what it tasted like. I think I was drunk, but I can;t remember. I haven't had the Don Carlos GOF since last year!
  • Options
    TshawwTshaww Posts: 16
    I had the edge in a maduro wrapper and I must say it was quite enjoyable. It went through 3 flavor phases if you will. Earthy at first moving to a peppery taste and finishing with a sort of spicy flavor. I wasn't sure if the edge would be too strong for me to enjoy but I really feel like I am going to buy a few more I definitely want to pinpoint the flavors more and spend more time with it, overall quite nice
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Oh yes! The Edge is one of my favorite smokes! Pretty full bodied smoke with a great flavor profile. That is one I keep on hand at all times.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    Glad to hear that you liked it. Did you get any of the Carlito? He used a Cameroon wrapper. Even though I have like 30 of his, I haven't had one in a while. It's a cigar that I smoke on special occasions like the Don Carlos God of Fire or the Don Carlos 30th Anniversary. I had the Torpedo Carlito a couple of months ago. I don't remember what it tasted like. I think I was drunk, but I can;t remember. I haven't had the Don Carlos GOF since last year!
    No, I am thinking about getting a 5/4 pack of carlito's, unless you want to share the wealth? lol.. But yeah, it was a nice smoke. I'm interested in seeing how different Carlito's are. But you know, the Don Carlos had a strong smell to the cigar, but it wasn't really that strong while smoking it.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Smoked a 5 Vegas Series A in double nickle size (5.5" and 55 ring) with about 3 months of age on it. Picked up a new flavor about halfway through. I got some nutmeg and gingerbread spice through the nose. And the woody, earthy flavor at the beginning mellowed out a bit.
  • Options
    No smoking for me today but a lot for me on Friday! I did place an order today though. BAD ME.

I got a bundle of 12 Gurkha Royal Brigade. I just ordered 12 of these in September and probably have smoked 2 but I figured the deal is too good to pass up. $5 a piece is good. I also got Nub 464 Torpedo Habano 5-Pack for $20 and a Rocky Patel Double Maduro Robusto 5-Pack for $20. Not a fan of the Robusto size but hey for $20 I'll give them a shot! I think I need another humidor. I wanted to have a Fuente only humidor and a Gurkha only humidor but it didn't turn out that way. My Gurkha humidor has a few Rocky Patel Decades on the bottom half and a bunch of different stuff in the tray. My Fuente humidor has some Partagas 150s, Gurkha and Rocky Patel Decades. If I had my own place, I would get one of those $1,000 cabinet humidors.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Over the past week or so I have been smoking down my singles to thin out the herd, and tried a Baccarat which I have not smoked in over ten years.. What a pleasant surprise... The last time I had one I was overwhelmed with the sweet taste on the wrapper. This time I was overwhelmed with the great burn , flavor profile and value of this stick.. I don't read much about these here, but they are really a nice cigar that I would equate with another favorite of mine the 5 Vegas Classic.. Don't let the low price on this one steer you away because they are worth more than the price you will pay. Great for those who enjoy a mild cigar with lots of flavor. This one was sent to me by Scrambler from a PIF, thanks for sharing this one.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Over the past week or so I have been smoking down my singles to thin out the herd, and tried a Baccarat which I have not smoked in over ten years.. What a pleasant surprise... The last time I had one I was overwhelmed with the sweet taste on the wrapper. This time I was overwhelmed with the great burn , flavor profile and value of this stick.. I don't read much about these here, but they are really a nice cigar that I would equate with another favorite of mine the 5 Vegas Classic.. Don't let the low price on this one steer you away because they are worth more than the price you will pay. Great for those who enjoy a mild cigar with lots of flavor. This one was sent to me by Scrambler from a PIF, thanks for sharing this one.
    I agree that they are a good stick. If i was handed one i would gladly smoke it and enjoy every moment of it.
    the two things that usually keep me away from this brand are:
    the sweet tip. not a huge fan and sometimes its dipped too much
    the mild body. I enjoy a cigar with a bit more punch to it.

i would NEVER complain if one was offered to me.

the thing i distinctly remember about it being good was the black pepper taste on the finish. it was well pronounced and never harsh.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    I am a fan of Baccarats it is the first cigar I ever had. I haven't had one in quite sometime because of how mild it is but now I want to pick a few up on Friday. Seemingly unlike many of you I tend to enjoy the sweetened cap as long as it is not TOO sweet. It adds some uniqueness to the cigar.
  • Options
    Interesting. The last time I had a Baccarat was at least 10 years ago and it tasted like dirt. However, my palate wasn't as developed as it is now (still not that developed) so it could have been me but I was enjoying my favorite Partagas back then and the Upmann Demitase. That Upmann is one of the only really small cigars I like.

On a differen note, I just ordered a chest of Gurkha Warlord. Not a bad price. $209.95 for 33! That's $6.36 a cigar. YAY!