Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I braved the windy cold to smoke an Oliva Serie O perfecto, earlier this evening. A solid smoke, again, though the cold created some problems: cracked wrapper, tendency to go out.

At least, I think that's what caused it. Has anyone else found this to be the case?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm. Or maybe, since it was cold and windy, you were smoking faster than usual and this caused the cigar to heat up and crack.... Now the going out I might blame on the wind. Save the good smoke for better weather...Including your Olivas.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked a Regent Toro yesterday. Much better than the first one I had. Also smoked a Nub Cameroon Torpedo. I think I like the box pressed torpedo better. Nothing today :-(
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Last night was a very rare 3 cigar day for me as well. I had a Tatuaje Havana VI at the event with Pete Johnson. As always a great smoke! After the even we went over to my friend Nick's place and lit up a nice fire in the pit and smoked a RP Decade. Another great smoke! The Decade has the best draw I think I've ever experienced. Then I tried something I've never had before. I honestly didn't even know they made actual cigars, but I had a Xikar Defiance. Was actually a very good smoke! They are made by Jesus Fuego and I was impressed. I wasn't expecting much from it, but I was suprised. If anyone gets a chance to try one I say go for!

Thursday night I had a Jesus Fuego 777 Maduro and it was also a good smoke. Had hints of things in it that reminded me of the Edge but not quite as good. I'm not sure the price on it because a friend of mine bought them but if they are cheap enough I would say it would be a good regular smoke.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    urbi i think your on to something there, smoking outdoors in cold nc mtns i have noticed the same thing with my cigars
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hmmmm. Or maybe, since it was cold and windy, you were smoking faster than usual and this caused the cigar to heat up and crack.... Now the going out I might blame on the wind. Save the good smoke for better weather...Including your Olivas.
    I don't think I smoked it any faster, kas. Once I got settled in, I wasn't cold. In fact, I'll probably go out and smoke another, shortly. (Even though the propane tank on the patio warmer is now empty.) The wind, though bad if you're out in it, wasn't blowing directly on me; it was more that I could feel the air stirring all the time.

My theory is that the cold, stirring air dried the wrapper out faster than usual. Sort of the opposite effect of what I experienced back in the high humidity of the summer. Too, I think I might need to bump the Oasis up a notch, now that the central heat season is here.

Is that where you live, gmill, or were you just visiting?
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today it was a Black Pearl Cobre. A delicious toro classed as medium-to-full bodied but I think it leaned a little more toward full. Had a great flavor, smooth, easy draw, and lotsa smoke. The only downside was that it went out with about an inch of smokeable stick left and my *&#$^*$% lighter chose just about that time to crap out on me. Oh, well, I'll buy some of these again and enjoy them even more next time.

Marty

Life is too short for bad cigars, Grasshopper
    Hadn't smoked in nearly a week, so tonight I went out with an Anejo #46. As always, a great smoke.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Yesterday I went to a herf in the burbs of Chicago and decided to treat myself. Started the day with a Oliva V Maduro. This stick has a lot of potential, but is very young right now. If you have any, I would suggest letting them sit for a couple more months. After that I had the Tatuaje Monster - Frank. This stick was HUGE. It smelled great and was fantastic throughout. I could definately taste that it was young as well, but this one will be even better after it sits.
  • Options
    urbi i work in boone nc (calling for snow this weekend) but live about 40 mi se close to hickory nc
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Just finished up with a Rocky Patel Cuban Blend toro in the corojo wrapped flavor. This was a pretty tasty cigar, medium bodied and not particularly complex but all in all I thought it was good. Although the claim that it is "almost like getting a fine Cuban cigar without the Cuban price" is a bit of a stretch, but it is nonetheless a decent smoke.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    gmill880:
    urbi i work in boone nc (calling for snow this weekend) but live about 40 mi se close to hickory nc
    Boone, eh? You ever do any climbing/bouldering?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I had a cigar.com red label last night, which I really liked. It was almost perfect in every way, lots of smoke, nice flavor, burned even all the way. I think I found a smoke to be a regular.. Now if any of the others lines will be crowned in my humi....
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    today i smoked a Camcho Corojo Chruchill. good cigar. not overly complex but it was a good cigar for the day. I got to the shop. picked it out. light it up. looked outside and watched the snow come down.

good stuff.
  • Options
    Good stuff, indeed, kuz.

I took last night off, and may take tonight off, too. My cigar enjoyment has declined over the past week or so. Maybe my taste buds just need a reset.
  • Options
    Had the Sol Cubano Conn. that we got this month. I think I am starting to like conn. wrappers more. Previously I did not like them at all. Maybe a little age and I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Cusano 59 this evening :)
  • Options
    I took another stab at the Verdadero Organic this afternoon. All in all, I'd say this is a good cigar. Light in body but with pretty decent flavor, burn and construction are very good. For a mild cigar, I'd recommend it, however, I don't think I'd purchase this one with any regularity as there are already several mild cigars I like more. Not bad though.
  • Options
    A Fuentes Bauza Robusto... I have said more than enough about this one in the past. One of my absolute favorites. This one had about a year on it.
  • Options
    no climbing dutyje
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    It's like 20 degrees here in Da Burgh right now...I ain't smoking nothing.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Luko:
    It's like 20 degrees here in Da Burgh right now...I ain't smoking nothing.
    just head out to vince's shop. he will be glad to host.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    smoked my first Tatuaje Miami Reserva J21 tonight. Was a great smoke that started out very spicy. It worked into a very woodsie taste that developed further throughout the experience. The draw was a little tight to begin with and the hints of wood were only faint to begin with, but it did loosen up a bit and the notes were more pronounced and developed more of an earthiness later. Was a nice experience that I hope to get again in the future.
  • Options
    Tonight was most of a H. Uppmann churchill, I don't know why they call it a churchill as it is only 5.6x46. In any event, a very nice smoke that I'm surprised I have not tried before, I'm glad I have more of them.
  • Options
    Yup. Like I mentioned to kas elsethread recently, those have really been a pleasant surprise for me, too.
  • Options
    I've really become a fan of petite cigars/cigarilllos, smoked several cao maduros out of a tin tonite.
  • Options
    I had A Gurkha Centurion yesterday. Nice taste, been aging for at least 4 months but the draw was tough. Had a hard time getting some good smoke plus I had a hard time getting the cellophane off. When I did, it kept the label wiith it which took a chunk out of the wrapper. This didn't affect the cigar smoking wise but was depressing.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Yup. Like I mentioned to kas elsethread recently, those have really been a pleasant surprise for me, too.
    It's been awhile since I have enjoyed an Upmann, and can't wait to burn that little beauty, Thanks again jOz3r.
  • Options
    today was a kuhlua torpedo
  • Options
    Today was a bargain basement day, in the afternoon I had a Liga IV, which is a surprisingly tasty yet mild cigar, at around $.60 each, there is absolutely nothing to complain about for a long filler cigar that is not a second. In the evening I sat down with a Vigilante corojo corona, I wish I could say I liked this one, but this time I didn't, I think it need some time to settle down, so I'll check back after about 90 days.