Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I tried to smoke a CI legends purple label but I don't know if it was the cold, the wind or both but the cigar didn't seem to stay hot enough and the draw was tight, after several puffs I would get a lot of smoke, but then I would have to keep doing that much quicker than I usually do. I hate this windy cold weather..
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I haven't good luck when it's cold and windy, either, Feebs. OTOH, I have had good luck with that cigar, so I'd give it another try some other time.

After laying off for a few days to let my taster reset, I just had a Punch Gran Puro. That's more like it. I could actually taste it. Ahhhhh.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had a 5 Vegas Gold that we got at the beginning of the month. I liked it until about the last inch when it got bitter. I'm starting to change my ind about Conn wrappers. Every one that I have had in the past few months have been really good. May it is just the Fuente conn that I do not like even though I LOVE regular fuentes. Hrm..............
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I had a 5 Vegas Gold that we got at the beginning of the month. I liked it until about the last inch when it got bitter. I'm starting to change my ind about Conn wrappers. Every one that I have had in the past few months have been really good. May it is just the Fuente conn that I do not like even though I LOVE regular fuentes. Hrm..............
    try the nub connecticut. it may be my favorite connecticut.
  • Options
    I have had them. At first I didn't like them but then I had one that was aging for a couple of months and it changed my mind. The Shaggy that I had three weeks ago really changed my mind. It was AWESOME! I'm toying with getting a box of them but I have no where to store them.

On a different note, I just ordered a box of the Grand Age Churchill and a new Humidor. Got that Dome Humidor. Should be able to hold the box of 50 Grand Age and all the Warlords I just got. Now, I just need to get some more Shaggy's. I'll end up having to wait till next month for that.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jeez wheely, that's a buttload of cigars...if ya need help storing them....ahh, that one is getting old. :)

I just finished up with a pretty awesome cigar, a Padron 1964 toro in the natural wrapper. Not much to be said about this one that a lot of you don't already know, it was simply great. I only wish the price wasn't quite as steep as it is, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't worth it.

I also tried something different a bit earlier, a cigar I got from Ron in the pif game, an Erin Go Bragh robusto. Now I'm not much on flavored cigars, but I figured I'd give this one a shot and went into it with an open mind, and it was decent enough for a while but about 2 inches in it started getting kinda bitter and didn't let up, I've got one more so maybe with a bit of time on it things will change.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that about the Padron 1964, joez. I've had a torpedo resting for a couple months, and Laker just sent me some toros. Looking forward to trying those.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Glad to hear that about the Padron 1964, joez. I've had a torpedo resting for a couple months, and Laker just sent me some toros. Looking forward to trying those.
    I have 1 torpedo or the 64 and 1 of the 26 resting since November 2006. I sooooooooooooooooooooooooo want to smoke one of them but am trying to push it out one more year.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Wheels, what are you waiting for.. After two years of aging what will another do.. I think they are ready now.. Burn one and end the wait. I couldn't hold out for a year on those and they were great. I think you will get plenty of enjoyment out of them now.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Where do you get those WILLPOWER pills from?????
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Wheels, what are you waiting for.. After two years of aging what will another do.. I think they are ready now.. Burn one and end the wait. I couldn't hold out for a year on those and they were great. I think you will get plenty of enjoyment out of them now.
    I think that one of reasons I have been buying so much is to try new stuff and keep the aging part out of my head. I forget I have them and then I don't think about smoking them. I haven't had a GOF in 5 months and I have only had 1 of the Partagas 150's that I bought. Now, by buying so much I have enough to age for a long time and still not think about the other stuff. Plus, I like to keep certain things for special occasions. Smoking on the way to work and back is not a special occasion. Hanging with some good friends, celebrating something, etc... is when I pull out the good stuff.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Where do you get those WILLPOWER pills from?????
    It's not willpower, I conveniently forget about them however with all this talk about them I may just have to spark one up really soon. You guys are breaking me down!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have a few of the 26's and 64's which I'm wanting to try but I must wait till at least the spring. Though it's too damn windy/rainy and cold to smoke a cigar around me. Maybe/hopefully it will mellow out with the wind and rain.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    rwheelwright:
    try the nub connecticut. it may be my favorite connecticut.
    Try the 601 Connecticut, AKA "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing"
  • Options
    Is that the black one, doody?
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Yeah... 601 Black. The only one I've had was the one you sent me. Far and away the most interesting Connecticut-wrapped cigar I've ever seen.
  • Options
    started a short vacation on thursday, don't go back to work until friday after thanksgiving, have spent time helping everyone in my family do something the last two days and have not had time to smoke anything and too tired to do anything about it tonite. did slip into cigar shop between vacation 'jobs' today and picked up a nice trilogy exotic maduro. Have never had this 'gar before has anyone here and how did you like it? Hope to light up saturday as cigar withdrawals beginning to set in.
  • Options
    Today was a nice Camacho 1962 toro that I received from Ron in the pif game, so my thanks go out to Ron for an awesome cigar. I really enjoyed this one despite some cracks in the wrapper that led to a bit of burn trouble at times. This is one I'll be happy to have again.

edit: I finished the night off with a 5 Vegas Limitada 2008. I'm glad I ate a good meal before smoking this one, as it was quite a bit more powerful than I remember it being. I had my first one back in early August, and I don't recall the cigar being as spicy as it was tonight, maybe it is my faulty recall or perhaps the rest has brought the pepper out in this one more. In any event, a stellar stick, probably my favorite of the Limitada line.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    There were cracks in the wrapper? I'm sorry. I need to check all my sticks better. I've been having some trouble a humidity with some due to overflow. Can't seem to get it right where I want it.

I'm glad that you liked the 1962. It was a pre embargo that I sent you wasn't it? If not, it was supposed to be.

Any suggestions on a fix for the mini coolerdore humidity?
  • Options
    Not a problem Ron, it very well could have been my fault on the cracks, or rough handling by the USPS. In any event they did not present a huge problem. I believe it was a pre-embargo looking at the dimensions of it, it seemed a bit skinny for a toro. It was pretty good, so many thanks on that one.

I have several overflow containers, and I just stick a small tray of beads in with the cigars and it does the trick just fine.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I've been on a Maduro kick for a while so to change it up i had a Montecristo White i've had for a while. Good mild smoke. Loads of smoke with every puff, very creamy and nutty, hardly any aftertaste. A good cigar to smoke outside in the fresh air(amazing how that'll change the flavor from smoking inside). Really good but imho, it's pretty close to the 5Vegas Gold. That was refreshing.....back to Maduros lol
  • Options
    Today was a Rocky Patel Decade toro, one from a sampler I bought back in January and promptly forgot about. I dug out today and it was a pretty nice smoke, I can't say for sure how much the ~10 month rest period had to do with it, though I imagine it must have had some effect.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Lit up a Nub Connecticut torpedo tonight and man it was a good smoke. For some reason I got a flavor that resembles sunflower seed butter (think peanut butter but lighter and mixed with cashews) out of the first half.

Only drawback was towards the end the draw got a little bit tight because I was holding it a bit too tightly but mr. paperclip cleared that up. All in all, I have no idea why half my humi isn't filled up with those, I need to fix that pronto.
  • Options
    I had a Cigar.com Corojo that I have had aging since April. It was much better than the last few I have had. Maybe the age had something to do with it. I got a root beer taste in there somewhere however near the end I was tasting the wrapper in my spit and that was the end for me.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Last night I had my first Ashton Cabinet. Great mild smoke! I'm not a big fan of mild smokes, but it was actually really good. Nice change of pace for me.
  • Options
    If you're interested in trying some others on the mild end, Puro, I highly recommend the Monte White and the AVO Domaine.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I have been wanting to try the monte White for a while, thanks for the tip on the AVO. I'll add that to the list.
  • Options
    had a cusano corojo 1997 earlier sunday - taste of spice ,pepper and earthy. burn problem, had to touch up several times, ended up only smoking 2/3rds . finished the night with a java toro maduro-excellent smoke-great flavor,construction and burn were awsome. anyone who has not tried these they are great.
  • Options
    Sol Cubano Maduro

This was pretty good. These always seem to burn well, good smoke, it was a little tighter on the draw than I prefer.
    This was a nice everyday smoke.
    But I think I prefer a milder cigar still.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Had a LFD Double Ligero 660 sunday night...what a fine cigar, full of strong flavors, I got this Black cherry hint after the first ash (about 2 1/2" in). Thing burned like a champ. I was impressed.