Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Big fan of the ESG-although pricey
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Taking a few days off while fighting a nasty head cold. On the plus side, I won an auction for some 5 Vegas Cask Strength II's last night... I was despairing of finding some without having to buy a sampler.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a La Gloria Cubana robusto this afternoon, I've been wanting to try this one and it didn't disappoint...though it did tunnel a few times due to me letting it sit for too long. I would definitely have this one again...Thanks for another one Vinny, you're 2/2 pal. :)
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

Let me tell you guys about a cigar I had a few minutes ago. La Aroma de Cuba, I got this cigar in a sampler. Actually wanted the other three brands that were in the sampler didn't pay much attention to this paticular one. Well I got it out tonight, its been in the ready to smoke humi for a while, prolly six months. This cigar was exceptional, perfect burn, lots of smoke, not too tight of a draw. The cigar paired with a Texas Port was perfect. Tasted some nice earth flavor, followed by a nutty flavor that lasted throughout the cigar, and the finish was a mild pepper. If you have a chance to get this one I highly recommend it.

Well now after looking the cigar up no wonder. Ashton product blended by DPG no wonder how did that get by me?

• Options
    Smoked the Anejo churchill I mentioned in an earlier post today. This was a wonderful smoke, lasted  1 hr and 45 minues!!! Tasted great, good construction/burn and about halfway thru a couple of puffs tasted like a BBQ smokey flavor. I smiled to myself as I thought the cigar gods were messin' with me-two of my favorite things cigars and BBQ. LOL.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Smoked the Anejo churchill I mentioned in an earlier post today. This was a wonderful smoke, lasted  1 hr and 45 minues!!! Tasted great, good construction/burn and about halfway thru a couple of puffs tasted like a BBQ smokey flavor. I smiled to myself as I thought the cigar gods were messin' with me-two of my favorite things cigars and BBQ. LOL.
    Are you sure that wasn't just a burb from lunch.. Never tasted BBQ in a cigar, but will keep a tastebud out for that one. Did 'ya call grandma yet ? She ain't getting any younger.
  • Options

Hey Kas didn't have any BBQ for lunch but I did think it was one of the strangest sensations/flavors I ever had from a cigar - just a smokey bbq kind of twist that only lasted about 2-3 puffs,go figure. Grand ma ma isn.t answering her phone lol,

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    Are you sure that wasn't just a burb from lunch.. Never tasted BBQ in a cigar, but will keep a tastebud out for that one. Did 'ya call grandma yet ? She ain't getting any younger.
    lol.. I had a BBQ chip tonight, had a slight burn issue at the beginning, corrected itself. 1/2 way through some slight mesquite chicken flavor with a hint of nutmeg and grass. near the end I got a pinch of honey dipped ribeye. Man what a smoke!
  • Options
    NSIOpsNSIOps Posts: 18
    I just got through smoking a CAO Gold. It was pretty good easy going smoke, no technical problems. Tasted like hickory wood or so, kind of boring in my opinion.

The night before I smoked a Nub 354 Conn. The "sweet spot" theory works, but the overall flavor was a little to simple for me. A very very small hint of butter, but tasted mostly nutty to me. I smoked two of these, the first one was good, the second had some weird burn issues but I think it was jut a dud.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I had a Don Carlos robusto. My last one. Gonna have to get more of these!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    While playing a game of risk I had a camancho triple maduro toro. Good smoke, loved the aroma, hazelnut and vanilla! Only thing was it went out 3 times. Perhaps it was that I had it sit too long..
    or your RH is a tad bit too high.
    It stays between 67-70.. so I don't think that's it. (as far as sit, I meant not in the humi but holding it while lit)
    I noticed that tendency with a Triple Maduro I had...I tend to smoke those really slow, and they do tend to want to burn out, though in my case it was nothing a couple firm puffs couldn't fix.
    i shoulda phrased that better. the RH is to high for a giant freakin oily ass maduro. If the cigar wasnt 100% maduro there would be no issues with the burn at 67% - 70%. But i have a feeling with that cigar it will have problems even as low as 65% RH
    Well thanks for that Jozie, though I loved the cigar I hate having to baby it. Kuzi, I highly doubt I'll be trying to get the RH that low but your probably right. I have another one so I'll see what that one does.

i keep my humi at 65% RH. Ill let you all know when the one i have resting in there goes up in smoke.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Yesterday was a crazy nice day...Started the day off with a Macanudo (I know) Vintage 2000 Toro. This stick was a nice start to the day. Rather mild, but just right for a cigar at 10am.

Later in the day I had a La Aurora Preferido Emerald Tubo (sumatra). This was an awesome smoke with a good bit of spice, but not over powering. Was consistent throughout, kinda lacked in complexity, but a good smoke regardless, yet probably not worth the price tag IMO.

Finally finished off the day with a Gurkha Grand Age Perfecto. This was the surprise of the day. Very pleasant cameroon sweetness throughout, and everyone once in a while I would get this milk chocolate aroma waft in through my nose.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    While playing a game of risk I had a camancho triple maduro toro. Good smoke, loved the aroma, hazelnut and vanilla! Only thing was it went out 3 times. Perhaps it was that I had it sit too long..
    or your RH is a tad bit too high.
    It stays between 67-70.. so I don't think that's it. (as far as sit, I meant not in the humi but holding it while lit)
    I noticed that tendency with a Triple Maduro I had...I tend to smoke those really slow, and they do tend to want to burn out, though in my case it was nothing a couple firm puffs couldn't fix.
    i shoulda phrased that better. the RH is to high for a giant freakin oily ass maduro. If the cigar wasnt 100% maduro there would be no issues with the burn at 67% - 70%. But i have a feeling with that cigar it will have problems even as low as 65% RH
    Well thanks for that Jozie, though I loved the cigar I hate having to baby it. Kuzi, I highly doubt I'll be trying to get the RH that low but your probably right. I have another one so I'll see what that one does.

i keep my humi at 65% RH. Ill let you all know when the one i have resting in there goes up in smoke.
    Kool, yeah kuz, it's a good smoke, I'm sure you'll like it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    At the very least Kuzi, I'm sure you'll find the Triple Maduro to be an interesting smoke.

Tonight I had a Partagas Serie P #2, a torpedo or maybe a pyramide as the ring gets smaller from the foot to the head...I need to brush up on my vitolas a bit. In any event, this is a very nice cigar, it builds from medium-full in the first half to full bodied in the latter half and the cigar really comes into its own in the last 2.5 inches or so. For those who think the Monte #2 is the be all, end all of cigars, try the Party Serie P, I think you'd be pleased.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Started off the night with an Isla del Sol coffee flavored thingamajig...naaahh not really feelin it. Not so much a fan of flavored cigars. Then had a Ashton VSG followed up with a RP Decade. Te VSG was outstanding and the Decade was phenomanal!!!!! Think old world corojo with the body and spice kicked up a few notches. My strongest reccomendation to everyone!!
  • Options
    I'm looking hard at a Padron 4000 or a Don Carlos #3-never had either before
  • Options
    I finished off last night with my first Padron 1926. Wow. Loads of smoke, perfect draw, rich flavor with some spicy notes. This is a terrific cigar. Enjoyed the hell out of it, even out in the freezing cold.
  • Options

Started today with a Don Carlos #3 after lunch-awsome flavor-I'm hooked

• Options
    gmill880:

Started today with a Don Carlos #3 after lunch-awsome flavor-I'm hooked

I loved that cigar too, perfect afternoon cigar IMO. I need to get a few more.
  • Options
    Yup. The robusto is excellent, too. Was it you, bbc, who just had your first one recently?
  • Options
    NSIOpsNSIOps Posts: 18
    I just smoked a CAO MX2 maduro. It was smooth flavored cigar, but I had some considerable draw issues, the cigar was very hard to, with no give , feeling almost like a hard carrot to the touch. I think I will give another one a try, it would have been great if it wasnt for the draw and burn issues.

Then I smoked a Java by DE, it was pretty good. I wouldnt smoke one on a regular basis, The draw was great, and it was a fun smoke, especially for social occassions due to its unique smell. However the sweetness or whatever they put on the head of cigar would get a little boring if smoked to much; it just screams "Sugar!".
  • Options

Cuban Aristocrat perfecto last smoke for today-good-really develops earthy nutty flavors about halfway in

• Options
    I had an RP 92, earlier. The first half of this one didn't have as much flavor as these normally do, and it seemed a bit dry. I don't know why it'd be dry; it's been in my humi for months. Anyway, a little before the halfway mark, I started smoking it hard. That built up some moisture, which gave the second half more flavor. Still wasn't quite an RP 92, though.

I may go out later and have a Padron 3000. That 1926 last night has got me wanting to re-explore the Padron line. It's the first new cigar I've had in a while that sent me right out to buy more. The last one, I think, was the Camacho Havana (courtesy of j0z3r), and the one before that was the Don Carlos.

Edited to add: actually, come to think of it, there've been at least 2 more of those in the last few months; the AVO Domaine and the Monte White.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I smoked the Ancient Warrior and it was really good. My second cigar on the way down to VA was the Crest. I think I cut too much off because te draw was a little too easy. It definately had a lot of strength. No one to smoke with here so I'll have to wait to smoke to when I leave.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    I smoked the Ancient Warrior
    That sounds so wrong.
  • Options
    urbino:
    rwheelwright:
    That sounds so wrong.
    lol..

Well I had a Gurkha Royal Reserve tonight, very nice cigar much better than a gran reserve. Later I had a Gurkha Corniche! Wow what a great cigar. honey, nutty, some mocha and other goodness which I can't really finger. Truth be told it kind of kicked my butt, I wasn't expecting it to be so strong.
  • Options
    A Gurkha night, eh?

Instead of the Padron -- which I think I have a couple of, but they must be way at the bottom of the coolerdor -- I had my first La Cuna Bin No. 85 habano. I've sent a few of these out in game packages, but I hadn't yet tried one, myself. What a lovely cigar. It produces a soft, heavy smoke that, somehow, has a light odor. It reminded me a bit of the Perdomo ESV 91. Y'all should give this one a try before they're gone.
  • Options
    Tonight I had Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur Epicure Maduro. A well constructed cigar with nice earthy sweet notes. I think these may be excellent with about 6 months of age, this one may have been a little young.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:
    rwheelwright:
    That sounds so wrong.
    lol..

Well I had a Gurkha Royal Reserve tonight, very nice cigar much better than a gran reserve. Later I had a Gurkha Corniche! Wow what a great cigar. honey, nutty, some mocha and other goodness which I can't really finger. Truth be told it kind of kicked my butt, I wasn't expecting it to be so strong.
    So you liked the Corniche? Did you ever get charged for them? The bill still has not shown up on my credit card.
  • Options
    wow, your lucky. I was charged before they shipped. Unless your CC is slow on getting the charge. It was pretty much what the description stated. The wax was a pain to get off. There's a lot of flavors going on there and it's pretty sweet. I would class it as a desert cigar, lol. I went ahead and ordered a few more. I was pondering on ordering a box but for the price I can't see smoking 22 of them anytime soon. Though I am wondering since I've never heard of them before and they seem to be off the grid if I might bite myself in the rear if I don't. You'll have to let me know what you think. BTW, are they worth the price, maybe. They are different.