Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    I see. Something from the original post made it seem to me as though it was the first you had tried. In that case, better luck next time.

I just finished that Monte #2 and that was very satisfying.
    I don't know if it was just a "not so good" stick today with that Gurkha but I have been on a bit of an unlucky streak in picking a stick I am really looking forward to... then it doesn't live up to the last one I smoked...
    I did move my humidor's today and will let the contents sit for a week or so before I try another one.
    The humi I took the Monte from was a little removed from the others and according to the Hygrometer it seems to be more stable but it still swings some so I moved it too.
    Finishing the evening with that Monte and a neat glass of Grand Marnier more than made up for earlier :)
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Just finished a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Perla (4 1/4" x 40) that was very spicy the whole way through. Enjoyed it immensely. Earlier today I had a Leon Jimenes Belicoso maduro that was great as well. All in all, an enjoyable x-mas day with plenty of time to sit back and enjoy a couple of quality smokes.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a Monte #2 myself tonight Doug, mine wasn't so good. To be blunt, it didn't have much, if any, flavor to it. I've heard this cigar has wild inconsistencies due to it being overproduced to appeal to the large demand for it, so I really hope this was one of the bad ones. I'd have rather had an Uppman #2, at least I know those are good quality, no guessing involved.

edit: Went out for a La Aurora 1495 corona a bit later. Wonderful cigar that was a bit undercut by the cold wind that decided to start blowing on me, oh well it was nice in spite of that.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Christmas Eve I enjoyed a RP Decade and today I had a Montecristo Afrique Machame (44x5). The decade was great, very peppery and oaky and consistent from beginning to end, great light and burn. The Machame was also great - had never even heard of these. I really enjoyed it. Also seemed full-bodied and spicy. I'll get this again.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Having nothing to do today, I figured this would be at least a 2- and probably a 3-cigar day. Instead, I had none. Just never quite got around to it. Glad to hear some of you guys did, though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Having nothing to do today, I figured this would be at least a 2- and probably a 3-cigar day. Instead, I had none. Just never quite got around to it. Glad to hear some of you guys did, though.
    I too wasn't able to smoke anything. Too cold and windy out and no-one would let me light up in the house =(
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I finally got around to having a smoke yesterday, around 11, I tried my Kuba Kuba from Acid...it was quite nice

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    I had a Monte #2 myself tonight Doug, mine wasn't so good. To be blunt, it didn't have much, if any, flavor to it. I've heard this cigar has wild inconsistencies due to it being overproduced to appeal to the large demand for it, so I really hope this was one of the bad ones. I'd have rather had an Uppman #2, at least I know those are good quality, no guessing involved.

edit: Went out for a La Aurora 1495 corona a bit later. Wonderful cigar that was a bit undercut by the cold wind that decided to start blowing on me, oh well it was nice in spite of that.

Too bad Joe. Sounds like you had the same experience as me... the first stick which SHOULD have been fantastic didn't live up to your expectations of it. Glad the second smoke made up for it thou.
  • Options
    Tumbler:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:
    smoked the padron 3000 at work-it was so cold I don't think I got the full effect-had to smoke faster than I would fike because 7 degrees and wind blowing -was good but i think better if i could concentrate on it and relax--too much going on at work shouldn't hace even lit it

I am sitting in a garage with 2 halide lights pointing at me - listening to Cale/Clapton and smoking a punch... It's 0 out right at the moment...

Nice to know I am not alone... :)
    Lol, I turned on the two portables in the garage and lit up a RP 1992 robusto (I guess its a RP day). The snow stopped for a while, though I did get to see a large pick-up truck get stuck on the street and it took 4 people to push it out of the snow but then after several feet got stuck again.

On a side note, anyone know why when I open my humi the RH goes down, but when it's closed it goes up to about 73? For the last few weeks I've had a steady 65-68 RH and now this... Any ideas?

I am back in front of the halides smoking a DP blue... Damn, he makes good cigars! Had a Padron 5000 earlier - good cigar day!

Pheebs are you still having trouble with the RH? That doesn't really make any sense. I do have about 5 digital hygrometers, all salt tested, and they all read a little different. One that doesn't want to adjust and one xikar that sets to 75 when you push the button. I just have the beads in most of my humidors - Guess I will just look for the obvious drop and then recharge. I had one that spiked high and I had to leave the humi open - that's when I went with the beads.
    I don't know what's going on, but now it's sitting at about 70. For some reason it's ranging a bit. I don't have any heat in the room so it's not due to that. I just don't know why all of a sudden the rh rose while the thing was closed. I have a lot of beads that haven't been wet-end so they could absorb the moisture. It seems to be staying at 70 so I'm not as worried.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Christmas Day we had a nice little afternoon buffet with shrimp cocktail and thanks to a friend's gift, some fabulous Alaskan Copper River wild-caught smoked sockeye salmon. Champagne. Followed up with a Legends Copper label, it was pretty nice outside.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    Christmas Day we had a nice little afternoon buffet with shrimp cocktail and thanks to a friend's gift, some fabulous Alaskan Copper River wild-caught smoked sockeye salmon. Champagne. Followed up with a Legends Copper label, it was pretty nice outside.
    That salmon sounds great, zoom. And the cigar was an appropriate choice.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Had a Cusano 18 paired maduro today. Wonderfully smooth maduro flavors, soft cedar and earth and a touch of cocoa. Very slight natural sweetness too. Not very strong with the body though. I enjoyed it very much.
  • Options
    Today was an Oliva Serie V torpedo, very nice cigar, strong but smooth, very smooth. Later on was an Uppman #2, a very well constructed and tasty cigar.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Had a Don Carlos #3 today. Was a fantastic cigar, not as strong as I expected, but then again I got a #2 that could be a bit stronger. I smoked this around 3pm this afternoon and enjoyed it to the last inch.
  • Options
    Perdomo vintage 1991. Not too shabby. Very tasty.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    well i got my first opus x yesterday...size A :D:D:D...BUT im going to save that and maybe have my first AVO or montecristo media noche or something, ugh the decisions that i am forced to face everyday ;)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Had my first Cusano 18  paired maduro yesterday as well jetmech -enjoyed it --your description is right on
  • Options
    I had a 2004 god of fire last night from carlito. I think it was the age on it but it was damn good. I really liked the 2006 carlos GOF but this guy was good as well. I'm going to have to stock up on these guys more so. I've enjoyed both very much. Plus the packaging is top notch (got to give gurkha something to go up against).
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had a RP 92 Toro last night and loved it. Afterwards, I had a Gurkha Turk. Reminded me of an Upmann Demitase. I didn't get to finish it. I think it would have been better but my palate was a little burnt out.
  • Options
    I hear apple juice helps the pallet.. I haven't tried it but the rumor is..
  • Options
    I had 5 cigars last night. My 2 oldest friends were in town for a visit, so we went out for dinner and drinks (until 2 in the morning), and then one of them and I sat on the patio, talking, until almost 6 a.m.

The seegars were: Gurkha Royal Brigade, AVO Domaine #50, Monte White rothschild, Camacho Havana H2, and a Perdomo ESV '91 (2nd) epicure. Enjoyed the hell out of each and every one of them.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks man!
  • Options
    urbino:
    I had 5 cigars last night. My 2 oldest friends were in town for a visit, so we went out for dinner and drinks (until 2 in the morning), and then one of them and I sat on the patio, talking, until almost 6 a.m.

The seegars were: Gurkha Royal Brigade, AVO Domaine #50, Monte White rothschild, Camacho Havana H2, and a Perdomo ESV '91 (2nd) epicure. Enjoyed the hell out of each and every one of them.
    How did you like the Royal Brigade? I have a *** load of them that I am aging. Got a great deal on them too.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks man!
    I just thought of this, when wine tasting little pieces of chocolate help cleans the pallet as well. I've tried this while smoking a cigar and though I'm sure no every cigar will benefit from it, some do. I tried it with a CAO America, and a CAO Soprano, and if I recall a God of Fire. Each time it enhanced my experience. There's something else they usually throw up there with the chocolate bits but I can't think of them right now. Anyway hope this helps.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    How did you like the Royal Brigade? I have a *** load of them that I am aging. Got a great deal on them too.
    They're very good, wheelz. I got a great deal on several back in the summer, and have smoked a few of them. I think I actually like the original Centurian better, though, which is surprising, because I'm a big fan of Cameroon wrappers. Hard to go wrong either way, though.
  • Options
    That's one hell of a cigar night urby. Sounds like you got some good ones in there too.
  • Options
    Yup. I know it's perhaps not ideal to smoke different cigars back to back, as the flavor of every cigar after the first will be partially masked/influenced by the one(s) before, but I also find the opposite is true. Smoking them one after the other makes their differences more obvious.
  • Options
    The only thing I wouldn't do when smoking cigars back to back is mix strength profiles too much, like smoke a strong cigar then a light one followed by a medium, I think that would tend to overshadow the cigars more than anything else. Today, for example, I've smoked three pretty much back to back, all medium strength and not a thing taken away from the experience.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Today started with a Punch Gran Cru and then a Cusano 59 -very tasty
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yesterday I had a CAO LX2 and it was a great very FULL bodied smoke. Had a few burn issues but nothing major and nothing that ruined the experience. Lots of rich full flavor and will get more of these for sure. Probably be better with some age on them, only had that one about a month or so. Ended the night with a Hoyo De Monteray and it just wasn't my cup of tea. It burned great with no problems but I just didn't care for the taste. It had a hint of something that was almost tart tasting. Bordering on bitter... Not horrible but not something I'll get again.