Home Non Cigar Related

Pipes ...

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'd bet how seasoned his pipe is has almost nothing to do with it. He's an experienced pipe-smoker. He could probably snag any pipe in his store and smoke it the same way. You're . . . not so experienced. Not to worry. It just takes a while to get the hang of smoking a pipe. I got to where I could keep 'em lit okay, I just couldn't ever solve the moisture problem.

The Captain's Delight sounds like it's Cavendish-heavy.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Well he said seasoning has a lot to do with it but not near as much as experience, as you said Urbi.

He cracked me up though. He looked at the pipe you gave me for about a minute and said,"The guy you got it from smoked less than 20 bowls in there, lit it straight up(didn't turn the bowl to the side to light), and thankfully never used a torch. Nice Pipe."

LOL.
    urbino:
    The Captain's Delight sounds like it's Cavendish-heavy.
    I believe you are correct its nearly all cavendish and some hints of Virginia if I remember correctly.
    madurofan:
    Well he said seasoning has a lot to do with it but not near as much as experience, as you said Urbi.

He cracked me up though. He looked at the pipe you gave me for about a minute and said,"The guy you got it from smoked less than 20 bowls in there, lit it straight up(didn't turn the bowl to the side to light), and thankfully never used a torch. Nice Pipe."

LOL.
    Right on all counts. Actually, it seems like I smoked more than 20 bowls in it, but that's in the right range. Less than 100, anyway. Hope it works well for you.
    Its doing the trick so far. :) So I know you said all this talk had you interested in breaking out a pipe again. Did you do it?
    Not yet. I did go ahead and tidy all of mine up, though, when I got them out to send you one. I will before long. Seeing them again resulted in one of those sudden, vivid trips down memory lane, where I suddenly was back in all those shops in all those places where I lived at the time I bought them.

It was like when Proust dropped his cookie and remembered how **** up he was. Only I didn't feel compelled to write 6 volumes of masturbatory prose about it.
    urbino:
    It was like when Proust dropped his cookie and remembered how **** up he was. Only I didn't feel compelled to write 6 volumes of masturbatory prose about it.
    Thankfully.

I, so far, thoroughly enjoy the process of cleaning a pipe. I'm also seriously enjoying restoring that old calabash. I'm thinking I might pick up a few estate pipes on eBay just for the restoration process. Seems you can buy large lots of pipes for pretty damn cheap. I could restore them all smoke out of each decide which ones I like and sell the rest. This pipe hobby really could be trouble for me ... and my marriage.
    Yeah, it can be a nice ritual, once you get the hang of it. Like shining one's shoes.

I never bought large lots of estate pipes, so I have no advice there. I just bought the one I mentioned in PM.
    I say large but the one I'm eyeballing right now is 3 pipes. I'm starting small. I don't think I could make any real money at it but I think there is a possibility for me to break even at and enjoy restoring some pipes, so I'm going to take a shot at it.
    Go for it. Once upon a time, I thought I'd try my hand at making pipes, but never got around to it.
    My B&M sells a block of briar pre drilled with a stem and everything. All you have to do break out the dremel. If you get the itch again lemme know.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    My grandfather used to whittle his own pipes. I wonder if my mom kept any of those.
    dutyje:
    My grandfather used to whittle his own pipes. I wonder if my mom kept any of those.
    Wow whittling briar is quite a task. I hope she did. I'd love to help restore them if so :)
    If my mom doesn't have them, my little brother might have them. If that's the case, who knows what's been smoked in them. Or, they may have been passed to my uncle, who is a big pipe smoker as well. If that's the case, they'll be exceptionally well maintained, and located in Alliance, OH (not too far from Akron, wink wink).
    Regardless, lemme know, I'm curious as to the condition they're in now. I'm seconds away from winning a few estate pipes on eBay right now.
    Wadja get, wadja get?
    I hate ebay, I particularly hate the people that wait until there is 6 seconds left before outbidding you, its just a crappy thing to do. Instead of honestly winning an auction you scammed the system.

Anyways I was bidding on 3 Kaywoodie drinkless pipes and a kaywoodie 4 pipe stand and humidor jar.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    I hate ebay, I particularly hate the people that wait until there is 6 seconds left before outbidding you, its just a crappy thing to do. Instead of honestly winning an auction you scammed the system.

Anyways I was bidding on 3 Kaywoodie drinkless pipes and a kaywoodie 4 pipe stand and humidor jar.
    I've never done it, but I've never taken issue with those that do (i.e. sniping)... Why? Because I just use the system as intended... I place my bid for the maximum that I am willing to pay... If I lose, it really doesn't matter if they placed the bid 2 days before it ended or 2 seconds... They were still willing to pay more so they win... I've never really understood what is "gained" by waiting till the last second...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    rusirius:
    I've never really understood what is "gained" by waiting till the last second...
    Some people have a tendency to really, really want to win, regardless of the price, so occasionally, and by occasionally I mean frequently, bidding wars will ensue. So by not bidding until the last 10-15 seconds, you avoid the people who have to win no matter the cost.
    I'm not really that mad THAT I lost bc as sirius stated I placed the bid for the highest I was willing to pay. He bid more, thats fine. Its HOW they do it that irritates me, here I think I've won bc with 10 seconds to go its mine with plenty of wiggle room then boom it ended and they won. Its just crappy IMO but these Jergoffs that do this force you to do the same so that you can win anything. The last 3 or 4 things I've bid on I had this happen to me. One was a Jeep I bought and the guy refused to sell it to the kid that poached it bc he said you had to contact him before sale, when I talked to the guy he told me the real reason he didn't sell it to him was because he's had that happen to him and he hates it with a passion thats why he put the disclaimer of having to contact him beforehand.

Anyways just my little rant like I said he paid more than I was willing to anyways so thats not the issue.
    rusirius:
    madurofan:

I've never done it, but I've never taken issue with those that do (i.e. sniping)... Why? Because I just use the system as intended... I place my bid for the maximum that I am willing to pay... If I lose, it really doesn't matter if they placed the bid 2 days before it ended or 2 seconds... They were still willing to pay more so they win... I've never really understood what is "gained" by waiting till the last second...
    Shirley, I was about to go on a tirade about idiots who just don't understand how the system works... but you just saved me the trouble. If you really want the advantage in an auction, get your bid in as EARLY as possible, with it set to go as high as you're willing to pay. If someone is only willing to pay the same amount as you, you win. I just let the snipers and fools think they've gotten away with a sweet deal. Then I bid on the next one that comes along (because the next one ALWAYS comes along), and sooner or later I get a hit. It's actually more rewarding that way. No buyer's remorse.
    madurofan:
    I'm not really that mad THAT I lost bc as sirius stated I placed the bid for the highest I was willing to pay. He bid more, thats fine. Its HOW they do it that irritates me, here I think I've won bc with 10 seconds to go its mine with plenty of wiggle room then boom it ended and they won. Its just crappy IMO but these Jergoffs that do this force you to do the same so that you can win anything. The last 3 or 4 things I've bid on I had this happen to me. One was a Jeep I bought and the guy refused to sell it to the kid that poached it bc he said you had to contact him before sale, when I talked to the guy he told me the real reason he didn't sell it to him was because he's had that happen to him and he hates it with a passion thats why he put the disclaimer of having to contact him beforehand.

Anyways just my little rant like I said he paid more than I was willing to anyways so thats not the issue.
    Don't sweat it too much, Maddy... once-in-a-lifetime deals come along every day. I'm sure you'll stumble onto a better collection of estate pipes... and besides, you've just reminded me to shoot my mom an e-mail and ask about my grandfather's pipes.
    Thanks duty, I'm not letting it get to me there are PLENTY of pipes on ebay. I'll find the right ones for me at the right price. In the meantime I did what I always do sent a message to the seller letting them know if anything falls through with the other buyer my offer to buy at my price still stands. It hasn't worked yet but you never know.

Lemme know about your grandfathers pipes. I'm curious as well.
    There used to be sites dedicated to just estate pipes, maddy. Dunno if they're still around.
    madurofan:
    here I think I've won bc with 10 seconds to go its mine with plenty of wiggle room then boom it ended and they won.
    Now that point I can see... But there's an easy solution... Don't check the auction until AFTER it's over... Then you'll never know at WHICH point you lost, and it'll have the added bonus of not letting you get swept up in that "Ohh, I really want this, what's a few more dollars to outbid him" ordeal that Joe was talking about... ;)
    rusirius:
    madurofan:
    here I think I've won bc with 10 seconds to go its mine with plenty of wiggle room then boom it ended and they won.
    Now that point I can see... But there's an easy solution... Don't check the auction until AFTER it's over... Then you'll never know at WHICH point you lost, and it'll have the added bonus of not letting you get swept up in that "Ohh, I really want this, what's a few more dollars to outbid him" ordeal that Joe was talking about... ;)
    Good point, I'm doing that from now on.

Urbi there are quite a few estate pipe sites, but they always recondition the pipe before they sell it. That kills the fun for me. I'm going to start poking my nose into antique stores and consignment shops and what not while I'm on the road from now on.
    j0z3r:
    rusirius:
    I've never really understood what is "gained" by waiting till the last second...
    Some people have a tendency to really, really want to win, regardless of the price, so occasionally, and by occasionally I mean frequently, bidding wars will ensue. So by not bidding until the last 10-15 seconds, you avoid the people who have to win no matter the cost.
    I do get this point of view, I have seen those bidding wars where people end up paying way more than the item is worth. I was on the selling end of one of those one time. I almost felt bad.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    rusirius:
    I do get this point of view, I have seen those bidding wars where people end up paying way more than the item is worth. I was on the selling end of one of those one time. I almost felt bad.
    I've been on the selling end too with one of those. I felt bad enough that I gave him free shipping.
    Communist.
    Back when the 'Bay was first starting to get popular... Small side note... Here's a little fact that a lot don't know... WAY WAY back in the day when Ebay first started out, it actually started out as a "Ham" equipment auction site (i.e. Amature Radio)... I remember when I first started using it there was NOTHING but electronics and stuff on there... Funny to think about how much they've expanded...

Anyway, back on track... In the early days I used to sell a boat load of crap on there... When it really started to expand and get crazy I started to notice some strange things about the stuff I was selling...
    So much so in fact, that I actually started changing the way I sold things...

If I went out looking for junk to sell, I'd always buy the broken stuff... Why? Because it was really cheap...

Now here's the real kicker... If I had stuff that wasn't broken, most of the time I'd sell it as if it was...

I proved this out time and time again... I could sell two hard drives... Let's say 9GB Seagate Cheetah drives... I could post up two auctions... both exactly the same... EXCEPT... One would state that I couldn't get the drive working... Installed but wasn't recognized or something like that...

In other words, not a straight out "This thing is smashed into a thousand pieces", but more of a "I plugged it in and don't think it did what it should have"...

Meanwhile the other drive would state it was in 100% perfect working condition...

The "broken" drive would ALWAYS bring a higher price than the working one... Same thing held for all sorts of stuff... printers, motherboards, whatever...

Even if it was working perfectly I'd state that "something" was wrong with it...

It would ALWAYS bring a great price, and usually much higher than other similar items in working condition sold by other sellers...

How could people be so stupid? My theory is that it's a psychological thing... People would see something for sell that was "broken" and would immediately think that they could buy it "cheaper" since it was broke, and most likely I just "didn't know what I was doing" and they could get it to work, or fix it if not...

Sounds silly but it's the absolute truth... The "concept" that they might "gain" something by "fixing" it made them much more willing to lay down the bucks versus another item that they could potentially "lose" something by getting it and finding it doesn't' really work... Even though it cost more for the broken, they perceived it to be a better "bargain"...