Home Non Cigar Related

Pipes ...

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yeah, people are funny that way. Not funny haha, but headscratching, eyes rolled back in the head funny.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Yeah, people are funny that way. Not funny haha, but headscratching, eyes rolled back in the head funny.
    So true ..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    How 'bout an update, maddy? How's your pipe experience going?
    Well I think I've smoked about six or seven bowls now. So far I thoroughly enjoy it. I like being able to smoke a little set it down and come back to it later.
    I'm getting better at keeping a bowl going without relighting. I will tell anyone thats interested, pipe smoking takes patience and work. Even if you get a bowl burning and don't have to relight you are still having to tamp it fairly often to keep it going.
    To me though, the pipe has been unbelievably relaxing. One cool thing, with the cold weather rolling in, its nice to hold that warm pipe in your hands while sitting outside.
    Also when I smoke a cigar my mind is working the whole time, trying to evaluate the burn, the flavors and just in general 'rate' or 'grade' a cigar. So far with the pipe I don't do this and its refreshing. I can just smoke and think about anything I want or nothing at all, just enjoying the art of smoking the pipe.
    I haven't had the moisture problem, so far(I have been told this problem comes from smoking to quickly, packing to tightly or a poor quality pipe), that many people talk about but I have occasionally pulled a piece of tobacco into my mouth. The next pipe I get for my rotation will be a filter pipe like a Savinelli or a Kaywoodie Drinkless. I'm particularly liking this pipe right now.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Maddy -

My mother still has 2-3 of my grandpa's old pipes, as well as one that belonged to my great-grandfather. She's also got a small round tobacco humidor that belonged to my great-grandfather. My grandfather also had a meerschaum of which he was quite proud, but rarely smoked. He didn't want to crack it, because he smoked very hot. He also didn't care for the flavor from that pipe. The meerschaum is in the custody of my aunt, and would require extensive, arbitrator-facilitated negotiation to pry it from her hands. My grandfather was a coal miner with a wooden leg, and that pipe was one of his most prized possessions.

Thanks for bringing all this up... Nice trip down memory lane for me. I can almost smell the pipe smoke as I sit here and type. I may have to get my hands on those pipes and give them a whirl.
    Thats awesome duty. Interesting. My great-grandfather was a coal miner as well, my grandfather joined the Army-Air Force to get away from the coals mines of West Virginia/Kentucky. Most of my grandparents relatives moved to Ohio and I know you said you have family there. Do you know what Coal mines you grandfather worked in? and where?

If you're really interested lemme know and I'll send you everything that has been sent to me on restoring/cleaning/smoking. Its actually quite simple.

Those meers can be quite elaborate and beautiful. Another reason your grandfather may have rarely smoked from it is that you aren't supposed to touch the meerschaum. As you smoke the meer it turns from that milky color to a brown fairly evenly from the inside out. If you touch the meer the oils from your hands interfere with that process and will cause blotchy coloring.
    Maddy -

I don't know the name(s) of the mines where my grandfather worked. I know that they always lived in the same old house outside Alliance, OH.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing the info you've got on the hobby. My mother could prbably explain quite a bit of it to me, but I have a feeling my grandfather smoked a bit differently than I would. For starters, this business about "tamping" -- my grandfather did that with his thumb. I remember him packing the pipe, tamping with his thumb, and he would even tamp it with his thumb while smoking. Combine this with the fact that he apparently smoked it very hot, and that pretty much tells you everything you need to know about the man :)
    Thats cool I was just curious.

Many pipe smokers tamp with a finger or thumb, but the fact he smoked so hot makes it quite different, i'd think.

PM me your email addy.
    PM Sent :)
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it, maddy. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the blends you got, but I don't want to put you in an analytical frame of mind while you're enjoying just kicking back and smoking.

That's a nice looking pipe you linked to. You'll still get some dottle, even with a filter pipe, but less often. A churchwarden has the advantage of usually being a nice cool smoke, thanks to the long distance from the bowl to your mouth. Not the most convenient to carry in your pocket, though. ;)
    So far the blends I've been smoking are very sweet and heavy on the cavendish. Other than the sweetness I haven't analyzed the tobacco at all. Its been extremely simplistic anyways. I'm thinking of ordering some Frog Morton. The same site I linked to for pipe sells a sampler of Frog Mortons.
    That Grey Havens is good stuff, too, btw. And I see that my memory ran 2 different Latakia blends together: "And So to Bed" is an Esoterica blend, and Dunhill's is "Nightcap." The latter is what I've had; strong stuff. I've also tried Peterson's University Flake and McClelland's Christmas Cheer (still have an unopened tin of the 1996 edition), but never quite figured out how to smoke flake tobaccos.

Like I said before, I'm a fan of Perique, so Grey Havens and Esoterica's Dunbar are the 2 I see on that site that I remember particularly liking.
    Perique is the tobacco grown in Louisana isn't it?
    Yups.
    Cool, I'm learning ...
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    urbino:
    ... but never quite figured out how to smoke flake tobaccos. ...
    Don't know if it'll help or not, but I remembered this post on another forum a while back so I figured I'd steal it and reproduce here... ;)

As was requested, I'll throw out a few tips on smoking flake tobacco in a pipe.

There are two main ways of prepping your flake tobacco. Smoking flake tobacco isnt too much different from smoking regular tobacco depending on how you prep it. However, I usually have to relight flake tobacco a few times while smoking it, it is much more difficult to get a consistent pack than with the shredded tobacco that is usually sold in bulk.

Preparation technique number 1: with this technique you end up with a product that is fairly similar to the regular shredded tobacco.

Step one: Lay down a sheet of paper on a countertop, this will be used to catch errant pieces of tobacco, so you don't waste as much and clean up goes easier. (not necessary, but I don't like wasting my flake tobacco)

Two: Get a flake of your tobacco, you may need to break it in half depending on the size (you will need to do this technique once to see if you can do a whole flake)

Three: Put the heel of your other hand (should be empty) on the flake of tobacco

Four: start grinding the flake like you are using a mortar and pestle. You are looking to get a consistency similar to regular cut tobacco. This is called, "Rubbing Out" all jokes aside, it is much easier for me to get a consistent smoke than technique number two.

Five: once you have enough that you are spilling off the side of your hand, dump the loose pieces in your pipe bowl, don't pack yet. You shouldnt have too much in the bowl yet.

Six: continue the process until your bowl is about half full, pack the bowl as usual. Do not over pack, it's easy especially if you grind your flake finely. When I'm testing for draw I almost always suck a few small pieces of tobacco into my mouth. It's normal, you are making some of the tobacco very fine with the grinding.

Seven: continue the process until you have a full bowl that is properly packed.

Eight: If you used a sheet of paper under your hands while grinding you can now pour the bits that landed there into the bowl and pack them down.

Nine: perform your charring light and tamp the tobacco back down.

Ten: Relight and enjoy. Like I said, I usually have to relight a few times because the density of the tobacco is less consistent in the bowl than the regular cut stuff.

Technique 2 in next post
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Here is the second technique for smoking a flake tobacco.

Step one: Grab a flake of the tobacco you want to smoke.

Step Two: Estimate the depth of the pipe bowl you are about to use

Step Three: Use that estimation on your flake. Put your thumb and forefinger together with flake in between at the approximate depth you think your bowl is at.

Step Four: Break the flake at your thumb and forefinger.

Step Five: Continue doing the same thing until the flake is broken into many sections that are all about the same length.

Step Six: Cluster everything up, and put into bowl. The packing in this scenario is horizontal rather than vertical in the bowl. You need to have the right density, so add or subtract tobacco as necessary to get proper draw.

Step Seven: Perform Charring light, tamp, and then relight.

Step Eight: Enjoy

I dislike this technique because I find it very difficult to get a consistent smoke. However, I know some people like it, because they keep the tobacco in its original compressed state.

If you want to give flakes a try I recommend two varieties (the only two I own )

Number one is Peterson's Irish Flake. it comes in a small brass colored tin with an ugly redish orange label. It is a really nice smoke. Smooth and rich. It does, however, contain more nicotine than any other tobacco I've ever smoked. I get a buzz off of it every time I smoke it. I only ever use one flake because I can't handle the second one, even though my pipes all take two flakes to fill.

The second flake I recommend is Plantas Black Vanilla Flake. This one leaves a nice room note behind, and unlike most vanilla tobaccos, does not taste like candy. It is a very nice Cavendish with a slight vanilla scent. Definitely give it a try.
    Thanks, Shirley. Rubbing out is what I always did, but I guess I never got it rubbed out finely enough. The second method sounds like it'd be preferred when smoking in high wind, which, I think, is the reason flake tobaccos came along in the first place.
    Thanks sirius.
    It just occurred to me, maddy, that you being a big man, that pipe I sent is probably pretty small for you. I didn't think of that before-hand. Oops.
    Lol its cool, I don't mind. I really like the pipe so far. I'm not that big just 6' 250 :)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Lol its cool, I don't mind. I really like the pipe so far. I'm not that big just 6' 250 :)
    ..Ummmm, Hey Maddy, What is big ? , In your opinion.
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    ..Ummmm, Hey Maddy, What is big ? , In your opinion.
    I was being sarcastic. I'm aware I'm a big guy and by big I mean fat. I'm ok with it.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    You think you're fat? I'm like nearly two Duti probably. And my body fat is eleventy percent. That can't be good.
    eleventy ... LMAO... height/weight luko? I need to know now that you're challenging me as the big man on the boards!
    I'm a bit more than one Duty, I guess, but taller. And it's all twisted steel and sex appeal.
    urbino:
    I'm a bit more than one Duty, I guess, but taller. And it's all twisted steel and sex appeal.
    LMAO ... you're telling a forum full of guys about your sex appeal. ****.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Nope not a thing wrong with it. Wait are you? Its cool, just curious now. Wait errrr curious was definetly not the right word.
    Heh. No. Just referencing a Seinfeld episode.